[Q] Get Gear to access to WLAN?

Search This thread

Petteer

Apr 13, 2010
Hey, is there any way to get the galaxy gear to connect to my WLAN at home?

I am using null rom and tethering to get internet to work on my gear now, but i got this tv controller app that needs to connect to my wlan in order to work. Soooo, is it even possible in any way to get my gear to recognize a wifi other than the one my SGS3 creates? I see so many benefits to this because I want to control everything that's electric at home from my gear.

I have read everywhere and i can't find any solution for this.. The only thing i found was someone with about the same connection problem i think, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2537003 . Where fOmey says something about using tasker & autoremote in order to get it to work, can any kind soul help me decipher these hieroglyphics so that I may get an answer? :eek:

I'm a noob at this as i got null yesterday.. Really good stuff though!! :good:

Thanks in advance
/P

fletch33

Jan 9, 2010
well the answer in simple terms is to install Tasker on your phone and AutoRemote on your Gear.

so after you read from Tasker dev site on using it properly the long and short is that autoremote can send commands to your phone and then Tasker on phone will execute said command. your Gear has no wifi so this setup pushes command to phone that has wifi and phone sends command via network.

not a complete answer with instructions but with research now you should be able to get it working.

good luck because Tasker can be challenging but also once you understand it also very rewarding :)

Petteer

Apr 13, 2010
Thank you very much for the answer and for opening my eyes to Tasker! But i'm sorry to say that i'm not really sure how to take it from here.

I have now installed Tasker on the phone and Autoremote on both the phone and the gear and I found that the tasker truly can be rewarding as you say, I have read alot about it and found several things that I can have use of.

But the thing is, will I be able to trick my gear through the phone into thinking it has access to my home network and use the app that way (I can and have installed the app on the gear but it can't find the tv-box as i don't have access to my home network). Or will the gear only be able to command the phones app 'Telia Zappa' to change channel on the tv-box? I don't get where to begin in either way and for me I would love to get access to the network right away instead of making scripts or what to call it for every app that must have access to my home network.

If someone have this figured out or have any ideas especially on how to trick watch to get access to my home network through my phone and bluetooth tethering of course, please help me out. I have so many fun and useful ideas for the watch wich I gladly share with you if I only could get this to work.

Thanks,
/P

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

Petteer

Apr 13, 2010
I've got some apps on my Gear to connect to my computer, as Spotimote and Unified Remote. But I dont really get how the Gear can connect to my computer when it can't find my tv-box on the local wlan because it says it's connected to 'unkown ssid' in the tv-box's app. When I got the other apps to work I had the ability to manually set the ip adress to connect to, so I did just that and it worked! But I don't have that ability in the app for the tv-box. So how can my gear connect to my computer on the local wlan, but it cant find my tv-box or even the local wlan when I use the other app and both my computer and tv-box is of course on the same network. The app for my tv-box works just fine on the mobile device.

Nothing of above has been done with Tasker, or has it? Can it be that the connection between my phone and Gear through Autoremote provides the gear with the ability to communicate with my computer via phones wifi?

Anyone? :confused: It must be any way to trick the Gear into thinking that it have Local network access through phones wifi connection and bluetooth tethering.. If someone knows the answer or got any ideas plase tell me, and if it really is through Tasker and Autoremote please tell me where to begin!

My question remains unanswered, but only for now i hope! :)

/P

hurdlejade

Sep 29, 2012
I've got some apps on my Gear to connect to my computer, as Spotimote and Unified Remote. But I dont really get how the Gear can connect to my computer when it can't find my tv-box on the local wlan because it says it's connected to 'unkown ssid' in the tv-box's app. When I got the other apps to work I had the ability to manually set the ip adress to connect to, so I did just that and it worked! But I don't have that ability in the app for the tv-box. So how can my gear connect to my computer on the local wlan, but it cant find my tv-box or even the local wlan when I use the other app and both my computer and tv-box is of course on the same network. The app for my tv-box works just fine on the mobile device.

Nothing of above has been done with Tasker, or has it? Can it be that the connection between my phone and Gear through Autoremote provides the gear with the ability to communicate with my computer via phones wifi?

Anyone? :confused: It must be any way to trick the Gear into thinking that it have Local network access through phones wifi connection and bluetooth tethering.. If someone knows the answer or got any ideas plase tell me, and if it really is through Tasker and Autoremote please tell me where to begin!

My question remains unanswered, but only for now i hope! :)

/P
sorry, did you actually get to work Unified Remote via 'wifi'?
i was only able to do it by direct connection between gear and pc, note 3 was skipped.

Petteer

Apr 13, 2010
sorry, did you actually get to work Unified Remote via 'wifi'?
i was only able to do it by direct connection between gear and pc, note 3 was skipped.

Since I don't have Bluetooth on my computer I assumed that it was wifi/local Wlan, through the phones tethering to Gear. Maybe I'm wrong, but the only other explanation I have would be that the Gear connected through an internet connection to my computer wich i dont see how it would be possible when i only entered an local ip adress.

/P