USING SAMSUNG T-MOBILE VIBRANT T959 on WIND MOBILE.....IN CANADA;)

Search This thread

setrepaca

Aug 7, 2010
Introduction: This is a TECHNICAL guide on how you can use an UNLOCKED Samsung T-Mobile Vibrant T959 model on WIND in Canada and enjoy your UNBELIEVABLY priced WIND plan...well I know I am....
For WIND plans see go to their website and look under SHOP -> Voice Plans (sorry I am new on here can't post outside links yet

HEADS UP:
1. Sorry for the long sentences, take your time, grab some coffee and do this when you have plenty of chill time...
2. IMPORTANT: This article only covers connecting to WIND HOME....WIND AWAY does not work for me, I'm still playing with the settings, should I succeed, I shall let y'all know that way you can go roaming and pay those extra monies:lol:

<<UPDATE>> WIND Away NOW POSSIBLE... please see bottom section of this article

Conditions / Prerequisites
1. You don't have to be a techy (cell phone or otherwise PC / MAC guru) to do this but PLEASE do so at your own risk. I strongly recommend a pen and paper, that's right, pen and paper write down each step as you do it so you know what the heck you changed and can revert the settings.

2. Of course, the Samsung T-Mobile has to be UNLOCKED.
If you're buying from eBay (win that auction man!) make sure you ask the seller to confirm UNLOCK. This can be easily done by the seller asking T-Mobile customer service for unlock code using the phones IMEI but that is the seller's business, yours is to simply make sure its UNLOCKED before you cough so much $$!

Alternatively, should you already have your Vibrant phone, you can check for UNLOCK status before reading further down this cool idea. Open the dialer and key in *#7465625#. For an UNLOCKED Vibrant you should get the following result: Network Lock [OFF], Network Subset Lock [OFF], SP Lock [OFF] CP Lock [OFF], press OK to exit that menu and please proceed with caution.

3. Oh by the way, if you have WIND data plan then you do want to make sure your unlocked Samsung T-Mobile Vibrant T959 already has the APN settings...if not here's what you do:
i. Tap on Applications
ii. Tap on Settings
iii. Tap on Wireless and network
iv. Tap on Mobile networks
v. Tap on Access Point Names (APN)
vi. Tap on menu and then New APN and here is all that you need to populate in the fields:
Name: WIND DATA (or whatever you like)
APN: internet.windmobile.ca
MCC: 302
MNC: 490
APN Type: Internet
LEAVE OTHER FIELDS BLANK (FYI: they'll simply read NOT SET).

NOTE: If you'd like to use MMS...then perform step v. above and this time use the following to populate fields as per step vi above:
Name: WIND MMS
APN: mms.windmobile.ca
MCC: 302
MNC: 490
APN Type: mms
LEAVE OTHER FIELDS BLANK (or they'll say NOT SET).

4. And finally, I should mention that the following below steps / process / procedure is only for those whose unlocked Samsung T-Mobile Vibrants will not auto register to WIND Home and are always stuck in WIND Away zone which cannot even make any calls or even send text messages.

HOW TO FORCE SAMSUNG T-MOBILE VIBRANT T959 to register on WIND Home Zone
In other words remind it that WIND just like T-Mobile uses AWS (1700/2100MHz - Both) configuration.

FYI: Each time you'd like to go back to previous menu, press the MENU key and tap BACK to go back.

1. Open the dialer (that's the phone interface) on your Vibrant
2. Key in the following *#197328640# to access the phone's SERVICEMODE
3. Tap to select [1] Debug Screen
4. Tap to select [8] Phone Control
5. Tap to select [7] Network Control
6. Tap to select [4] Aquisition Order
7. Tap to select [3] UMTS->GSM []
7.a Phone should now say =AQUISITION ORDER= Select ACQ_ORDER_WCDMA_FIRST, now click Menu key and tap on Back, do this twice to go back to NETWORK CONTROL menu display
8. Tap to select [2] Band Selection
9. Tap to select [2] WCDMA Band[*]
Notes: Once in this menu, just double check to see that the following [4] WCDMA 1700 (FDDIV)[*] and [2] WCDMA 2100 (FDDI) [*] are selected. And how do you know its selected? Well, if it has the * (asterix) it means its already selected, if not then tap to select will select it for you. Once you have verified that [4] WCDMA 1700 (FDDIV)[*] and [2] WCDMA 2100 (FDDI) [*] are selected, now press the menu key and go back to the previous menu...
10. Tap to select [4] COMBI BANDS[]
Notes: Make sure the following have asterix on them; [7] WCDMA 1700 (FDD IV)[*] and [5] WCDMA 2100 (FDDI) [*]
11.That's it...you're done! Press the menu key and select END.

If you dont see WIND HOME in like 3-8 seconds, restart your unlocked Samsung T-Mobile Vibrant T959. If you still don't see WIND HOME and its just WIND AWAY, try making a call if that call does not go through then you did something wrong....go back and repeat all from step 1 above.

ENJOY WIND HOME on ANDROID, its cool!!:D

#################################################################
SETTING UP WIND AWAY ON UNLOCKED SAMSUNG VIBRANT on WIND MOBILE CANADA
Okay so I've been playing with the settings a bit more and I got Wind Away to work...here's how I did it and what you should know.

NOTE:
1. Once on WIND Away, there's no way to manually select the option that takes you back to WIND Home.
&nbspWhat I mean to say is that once your Vibrant goes into WIND Away mode, it means if you wanna go back to WIND HOME, you have to follow the steps as detailed above under HOW TO FORCE SAMSUNG T-MOBILE VIBRANT T959 to register on WIND Home Zone
2. Wind Away only give you access to EDGE speeds for internet access
3. Need I remind you that WIND Away means that you're roaming?? Okay now that you know...do these steps only if you're stuck in some area with NO WIND Home.

Okay here's the STEPS...
1. Open the dialer (that's the phone interface) on your Vibrant
2. Key in the following *#197328640# to access the phone's SERVICEMODE
3. Tap to select [1] Debug Screen
4. Tap to select [8] Phone Control
5. Tap to select [7] Network Control
6. Tap to select [4] Aquisition Order
7. Tap to select [2] GSM->UMTS[]
&nbsp7.a Phone should now say =AQUISITION ORDER= Select ACQ_ORDER_GSM_FIRST now tap Menu key and tap on Back
8. Tap to select [3] GSM Band []
9. Tap to select [2] GSM 850 []
&nbsp9.a Phone should now say Select GSM 850 Only[*], now tap Menu key and tap on Back, do this twice to go back to =BAND SELECTION= Menu display
10. Tap to select [4] COMBI BANDS[], FYI while in this display [1] GSM 850 [*] should have * on it, if yes then continue, if not go back and repeat step 8
11. Tap to select [4] PCS 1900 []
&nbsp11.a Phone should now say Add PCS 1900[*] if you want bla bla bla....too long...now tap Menu key and tap Back
12. Tap to select [7] WCDMA 1700 (FDD IV)[]
&nbsp12.a Phone should now say Add WCDMA_W1700 [*] if you want bla bla bla too long...now tap Menu key and tap Back
13. Tap to select [5] WCDMA 2100 (FDD I)[]
&nbsp13.a Phone should now say Add WCDMA_W2100 [*] if you want bla bla bla too long...now tap Menu key and tap Back

That's it...your Vibrant should now refresh its antenna and you should see Wind Away in the notification area, also if you have data active, E for EDGE should show up 2-3 minutes later.

Try to make a call if it does not go through, reboot the phone and when you're back, check your settings by going through all the steps outlined above.

ENJOY ROAMING ON WIND AWAY, don't pay too much unless you have to!:hehehe:

Last edited:

setrepaca

Aug 7, 2010
Wind Away is possible...but its quite a bit of WORK

@mohitmoudgil: Check out my updated version of the original posting, its got some Wind Away workarounds...

Last edited:
Reactions: gt10011

hkfan

Aug 12, 2010
Toronto
Thanks. Everything is working fine but when it looses signal like in basement then phone takes about 2-3 minutes to get the signal back.

Is there anything we can do make it fast. May be it is looking for too many bands or smoething.

dukemantee

Sep 1, 2010
I have a samsung vibrant from Tmobile currently on mobilicity. I tried wind, and mobi, both worked. However, I decided to go with mobi because of the better price on the monthly plan.

I agree with the last post. Every time I go to an area where it loses a connection, it seems to be searching for a while. Sometimes it does reconnect but it takes a while. Other times I have to continually go into the "network and wireless" settings and search manually for the provider and reconnect.

The staff at mobilicity are telling me to find out how to lock the phone to 3g mode only. I can turn 2g off, but there is no way of locking it to 3g only-- not that i'm aware of anyway. I have selected my APN, and turned data roaming off..... i'm not entirely sure what they mean by this.

I work and stay right in the middle of the coverage zone all day, but some days I can only get "CDN roaming" as a provider. Unfortunately, I didn't know all of this and got charged for data sent and received on the network even while being in the coverage zone. Also the reps didn't help me out there because I don't have a mobilicity phone. Currently the only way to really resolve these types of connection issues with the network is calling them for a refresh.... which doesn't help if you find out after being sent tons of texts, etc.

I read there may be a hack to lock it to wind home zone or mobilicity home zone? is that true? can anyone help?

thanks

solidkundi

Sep 27, 2008
how did u guys make it work?? when i search ...i get Wind Home and Away....

but i cant connect....says something about sim is not allowing or sumtin....

HELP??? please

stringbeans

Sep 8, 2010
Will these tweaks work on a Samsung Galaxy S from Bell as well? I'm thinking of buying the phone off bell, unlocking+rooting, then switching to WIND...

noahgray

Aug 24, 2009
Vancouver
My phone seems to be stuck at (Searching). It worked at home using the tips in this thread, but went back to (Searching) when I left the house.

Will these tweaks work on a Samsung Galaxy S from Bell as well? I'm thinking of buying the phone off bell, unlocking+rooting, then switching to WIND...

No, only the T-Mobile version will work, from what I understand. It has to do with the radios.

solidkundi

Sep 27, 2008
What is the exact error you are getting ?

when i choose Wind Home... it says...

"SIM CARD DOES NOT ALLOW CONNECTION TO THIS NETWORK"

then it asks me to search again... its the same thing over n and over again.....

mine is T-Mobile Vibrant...Unlocked using the guide found in xda.... i have my brother's Wind Mobile Sim in my T-Mobile while i'm trying this...

can someone help?

Thanx in advance!!!!!!

PhysWiz314

Sep 23, 2010
when i choose Wind Home... it says...

"SIM CARD DOES NOT ALLOW CONNECTION TO THIS NETWORK"

then it asks me to search again... its the same thing over n and over again.....

mine is T-Mobile Vibrant...Unlocked using the guide found in xda.... i have my brother's Wind Mobile Sim in my T-Mobile while i'm trying this...

can someone help?

Thanx in advance!!!!!!

I had this same problem but my phone would usually connect to Wind Home when I tried a second time. The solution I found was to follow the instructions at the beginning of this thread to connect to Wind Home but make sure that the only two bands selected under COMBI BANDS are [7] WCDMA 1700 (FDD IV)[*] and [5] WCDMA 2100 (FDDI)[*]. When I first set mine up, I also had the WCDMA 1900 option starred. Once I turned this off I never had a problem connecting to Wind Home.

gojeera

Oct 26, 2010
after following the instruction on here, i haven't been able to get wind data to work; i try loading a web page and it just hangs...

any help will do..

btw, i'm in toronto

Actinic

Nov 11, 2010
I had this same problem but my phone would usually connect to Wind Home when I tried a second time. The solution I found was to follow the instructions at the beginning of this thread to connect to Wind Home but make sure that the only two bands selected under COMBI BANDS are [7] WCDMA 1700 (FDD IV)[*] and [5] WCDMA 2100 (FDDI)[*]. When I first set mine up, I also had the WCDMA 1900 option starred. Once I turned this off I never had a problem connecting to Wind Home.

How did you remove the WCDMA 1900 option? Whenever I click, I only have the option to add it.

PhysWiz314

Sep 23, 2010
To remove the WCDMA 1900 option, first go into [2] WCDMA BAND and select [2] WCDMA 2100(FDD I). This should de-select everything but this one.
Then you can go back to the COMBI BANDS menu and add the other band [7] WCDMA 1700 (FDD IV).

cheyney

Dec 21, 2010
Improved with Froyo?

Any news on whether the switch between Home and Away has improved with 2.2 Froyo?

Do I understand correctly that the phone will automatically switch from Home to Away but not back? Once you switch back manually to Home, will it automatically switch to Away the next time you leave your home zone?

Thank you in advance

PhysWiz314

Sep 23, 2010
I just flashed to the Froyo ROM found here
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=740558
last night and it seems to have fixed the Wind Home problem.
My settings are now
= ACQUISITION ORDER = ... [3] UMTS->GMS[*]
= BAND SELECTION = ... [1] AUTOMATIC[*]

This seems to be the default setting after I flashed the ROM as I didn't change anything. My phone now connects to Wind Home when I start it up. I have not tried leaving the city (Edmonton) to see if it automatically connects to Wind Away though.

Last edited:
Reactions: cheyney

nightning

Dec 27, 2010
Vancouver
nnbox.ca
Vibrant in Vancouver?

I'm wondering if anybody gotten this to work in Vancouver...

After I gone through the process and selected WCDMA 1700 (FDD IV)[*] and [5] WCDMA 2100 (FDDI)[*], my phone cannot seem to find Wind Home at all.

I tried at various locations around town and only picked it up around Main & SW Marine Dr. The signal quickly dropped to 0 when I drove away.

The phone has no problem picking up Wind Away once I reset it to auto select.
Is this just a network thing or there's more settings to change for the phone? Surely the network can't be that bad.

Thanks in advance!

west-siiiyyde

Dec 2, 2010

Yep, I've set this up and it works fine. Generally Wind's network seems to show only 1-2 bars and I've noticed the radio always runs over 100dbHz. But its rare to have no coverage at all. Steps were unlock, 1700 & 2100 like you mentioned, acquisition order UTMS > GSM, internet APN set for internet.windmobile.ca. This was all done on a 2.2 vibrant and i have used this combo on jk2, jk6, jl1, jl4 modems without problems- jl4 seemed to work best.

Reactions: nightning

nightning

Dec 27, 2010
Vancouver
nnbox.ca
Yep, I've set this up and it works fine. Generally Wind's network seems to show only 1-2 bars and I've noticed the radio always runs over 100dbHz. But its rare to have no coverage at all. Steps were unlock, 1700 & 2100 like you mentioned, acquisition order UTMS > GSM, internet APN set for internet.windmobile.ca. This was all done on a 2.2 vibrant and i have used this combo on jk2, jk6, jl1, jl4 modems without problems- jl4 seemed to work best.

I guess it's a modem problem then. The phone tends to drop to 0 signal but can call & receive fine. Not sure if this is the cause of the battery drain. 10% over 7 hours even just on idle with only 3G running.

I'm a noob, running 2.1 stock. Never flashed anything before. What's the safest route to getting this fix? Root it, install ROM manager, backup then flash a 2.2 ROM or just flash the jl4 modem?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Wind Away is possible...but its quite a bit of WORK

@mohitmoudgil: Check out my updated version of the original posting, its got some Wind Away workarounds...
    I just flashed to the Froyo ROM found here
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=740558
    last night and it seems to have fixed the Wind Home problem.
    My settings are now
    = ACQUISITION ORDER = ... [3] UMTS->GMS[*]
    = BAND SELECTION = ... [1] AUTOMATIC[*]

This seems to be the default setting after I flashed the ROM as I didn't change anything. My phone now connects to Wind Home when I start it up. I have not tried leaving the city (Edmonton) to see if it automatically connects to Wind Away though.