[WIP] Overclocking the Sensation

Search This thread

foxehkins

Apr 27, 2010
Las Vegas
This does not yet work. This is a work in progress. This was taken from another thread. CREDIT GOES TO coolbho3000 for this mod. It is not my work I'm just sharing it in the sensation forums. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1158951

EVO 3D @ 1.8GHz!
HTC is taking far too long with their promised bootloader unlock! I got my hands on an EVO 3D and wrote a kernel module to overclock it (along with the Sensation, I think) with just temp root. I had no kernel sources or the ability to flash custom kernels, and you don't need to overclock your phone, either. This was all done with a Linux loadable kernel module.

EDIT: This is reported not to be working on the Sensation (or at least some Sensations) just yet. I'm investigating the issue, but don't have a Sensation on hand. It might have to do with the Sensation using an older kernel. I'll try to borrow one from a friend. If any devs are good at this sort of thing and want to take a crack the source of this module is at the bottom of the thread.

At 1782MHz (nearly 1.8GHz), a dual core Android phone is truly a force to be reckoned with. This module also gives you the flexibility to try to go even higher, or specify a lower overclock. See below for instructions and download. SetCPU has also been updated to support the EVO 3D and Sensation better. I'll be doing a technical writeup on how this was accomplished soon, as well as an explanation of the MSM 8x60 clock architecture for future kernel devs.

Disclaimer: Overclocking your phone is always a risk! Please know what you are doing before trying this. The kernel module is licensed under the GNU GPL and comes with no warranty. The relative safety of overclocking similar ARM processors to such speeds and voltages is generally known, but I can't be held responsible if you damage your phone with this hack.

Instructions:
Download the kernel module appropriate for your phone If you're not sure which one to download, check /proc/version and find the version string and then check the part that contains the localversion, which is right after 2.6.35.10 and looks like this: "gb7a86da" or "gcb1cf83"

Download: Latest EVO 3D OTA gcb1cf83: http://setcpu.com/files/8x60_oc.ko
T-Mobile HTC Sensation 4G gb7a86da: http://setcpu.com/files/8x60_oc_gb7a86da.ko
EVO 3D pre-OTA g93c03bf: http://setcpu.com/files/8x60_oc_g93c03bf.ko

Anyone good with a hex editor and your device hasn't been added: Just download the first link above and replace the "gcb1cf83" with whatever your version is - it's hacky, but it works. We can't build a "real" ko anyway, since we don't have kernel source.

(To add support for your EVO 3D/Sensation kernel, send me the kernel version string (cat /proc/version) and I'll upload a kernel with support).

1. Temp root the phone using fre3vo, and install everything you need to run root apps. If you lost temp root due to /system/bin/su becoming unlinked (root apps don't detect root anymore), do it again. Thanks #teamwin!
2. Decide which frequency and voltage you want. Frequencies have to be a multiple of 54MHz. For example, 1512MHz = 54MHz*24. Remember how much you have to multiply 54 by to get the frequency you want. For 1782MHz, as I reached, use 33 (54MHz*33 = 1782MHz).
3. Push the kernel module to your device: adb push 8x60_oc.ko /data/local/tmp/8x60_oc.ko
4. Use SetCPU (you must be 2.2.4 or above for proper MSM 8x60 support!) to set the max frequency to 432MHz and min to 384MHz.
6. Go back to the home screen, press the power button, and count to ten.
7. Load the kernel module with the following command, replacing the scpll_l_val with the value you got above and the vdd_uv with the voltage you want (in microvolts). Here is a valid command for around 1.8GHz: adb shell insmod /data/local/tmp/8x60_oc.ko scpll_l_val=33 vdd_uv=1375000

If you do not specify any parameters, the module defaults to 1512MHz and 1250000 uV! (scpll_l_val=28 vdd_uv=1250000) This should be safe for everybody, since that's the MSM 8x60's native speed (of the higher speed bin anyway ).

8. If it crashes right after you insmod the kernel, reboot and try again - the second core was likely still active. This doesn't necessarily mean your overclock settings were unstable.
9. Now go into SetCPU and it will autodetect the new max frequency. Set it and try it out. If your phone crashes at or after this point, the scpll_l_val and vdd_uv combination was not stable enough. Reboot and try another combination.

Note: the maximum scpll_l_val supported currently is 37 (1998MHz, or 2GHz!). Let me know if you actually managed to reach this with a semblance of stability, if you want to push for higher... Also, you can undo this mod just by rebooting.

Enjoy! Of course, this would all have been easier if we were just given an unlocked bootloader. Please bother HTC about it! Yeah, we'll get it without them, but they have to keep their end of the deal.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/coolbho3k
Sources for the overclock module: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36553/8x60_oc.tar.gz I'll be uploading it to my github soon. It's messy at the moment.

Last edited:

jlevy73

Nov 8, 2009
Los Angeles
OP: Please give credit to coolbho3k for the mod. Took him three days to sort this out, he should be mentioned in the first sentence as the originator of this work.

jermx

Oct 10, 2009
Sweet. Got it to run. But only got it at 1188 mhz. My max is 1788 and it justs refuses to go any higher~

GabrielSousa

Feb 15, 2011
Leiria
OnePlus 9 Pro
mine is

Linux version 2.6.35.10-ga76ba0d (htc-kernel@and18-2) (gcc version 4.4.0 (GCC) )
#1 SMP PREEMPT Wed May 18 14:36:24 CST 2011

whats the kernel module appropriate for my phone ?

madindehead

Apr 14, 2009
My kernel info is:

2.6.35.10-gae358b5
htc-kernel@and18-2 #1
SMP PREEMPT Sun May 15

Looking forward to testing this soon! Looks amazing!

Also, can the OP please format the post better. It's a bit messy. Thanks

Last edited:

Squalli

May 27, 2009
renaming it doesn't work for me either. Using newest setcpu, but it just doesnt detect the msm 8x60. Just shows me tegra2 ect... :/

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This does not yet work. This is a work in progress. This was taken from another thread. CREDIT GOES TO coolbho3000 for this mod. It is not my work I'm just sharing it in the sensation forums. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1158951

EVO 3D @ 1.8GHz!
    HTC is taking far too long with their promised bootloader unlock! I got my hands on an EVO 3D and wrote a kernel module to overclock it (along with the Sensation, I think) with just temp root. I had no kernel sources or the ability to flash custom kernels, and you don't need to overclock your phone, either. This was all done with a Linux loadable kernel module.

EDIT: This is reported not to be working on the Sensation (or at least some Sensations) just yet. I'm investigating the issue, but don't have a Sensation on hand. It might have to do with the Sensation using an older kernel. I'll try to borrow one from a friend. If any devs are good at this sort of thing and want to take a crack the source of this module is at the bottom of the thread.

At 1782MHz (nearly 1.8GHz), a dual core Android phone is truly a force to be reckoned with. This module also gives you the flexibility to try to go even higher, or specify a lower overclock. See below for instructions and download. SetCPU has also been updated to support the EVO 3D and Sensation better. I'll be doing a technical writeup on how this was accomplished soon, as well as an explanation of the MSM 8x60 clock architecture for future kernel devs.

Disclaimer: Overclocking your phone is always a risk! Please know what you are doing before trying this. The kernel module is licensed under the GNU GPL and comes with no warranty. The relative safety of overclocking similar ARM processors to such speeds and voltages is generally known, but I can't be held responsible if you damage your phone with this hack.

Instructions:
    Download the kernel module appropriate for your phone If you're not sure which one to download, check /proc/version and find the version string and then check the part that contains the localversion, which is right after 2.6.35.10 and looks like this: "gb7a86da" or "gcb1cf83"

Download: Latest EVO 3D OTA gcb1cf83: http://setcpu.com/files/8x60_oc.ko
    T-Mobile HTC Sensation 4G gb7a86da: http://setcpu.com/files/8x60_oc_gb7a86da.ko
    EVO 3D pre-OTA g93c03bf: http://setcpu.com/files/8x60_oc_g93c03bf.ko

Anyone good with a hex editor and your device hasn't been added: Just download the first link above and replace the "gcb1cf83" with whatever your version is - it's hacky, but it works. We can't build a "real" ko anyway, since we don't have kernel source.

(To add support for your EVO 3D/Sensation kernel, send me the kernel version string (cat /proc/version) and I'll upload a kernel with support).

1. Temp root the phone using fre3vo, and install everything you need to run root apps. If you lost temp root due to /system/bin/su becoming unlinked (root apps don't detect root anymore), do it again. Thanks #teamwin!
    2. Decide which frequency and voltage you want. Frequencies have to be a multiple of 54MHz. For example, 1512MHz = 54MHz*24. Remember how much you have to multiply 54 by to get the frequency you want. For 1782MHz, as I reached, use 33 (54MHz*33 = 1782MHz).
    3. Push the kernel module to your device: adb push 8x60_oc.ko /data/local/tmp/8x60_oc.ko
    4. Use SetCPU (you must be 2.2.4 or above for proper MSM 8x60 support!) to set the max frequency to 432MHz and min to 384MHz.
    6. Go back to the home screen, press the power button, and count to ten.
    7. Load the kernel module with the following command, replacing the scpll_l_val with the value you got above and the vdd_uv with the voltage you want (in microvolts). Here is a valid command for around 1.8GHz: adb shell insmod /data/local/tmp/8x60_oc.ko scpll_l_val=33 vdd_uv=1375000

If you do not specify any parameters, the module defaults to 1512MHz and 1250000 uV! (scpll_l_val=28 vdd_uv=1250000) This should be safe for everybody, since that's the MSM 8x60's native speed (of the higher speed bin anyway ).

8. If it crashes right after you insmod the kernel, reboot and try again - the second core was likely still active. This doesn't necessarily mean your overclock settings were unstable.
    9. Now go into SetCPU and it will autodetect the new max frequency. Set it and try it out. If your phone crashes at or after this point, the scpll_l_val and vdd_uv combination was not stable enough. Reboot and try another combination.

Note: the maximum scpll_l_val supported currently is 37 (1998MHz, or 2GHz!). Let me know if you actually managed to reach this with a semblance of stability, if you want to push for higher... Also, you can undo this mod just by rebooting.

Enjoy! Of course, this would all have been easier if we were just given an unlocked bootloader. Please bother HTC about it! Yeah, we'll get it without them, but they have to keep their end of the deal.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/coolbho3k
    Sources for the overclock module: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36553/8x60_oc.tar.gz I'll be uploading it to my github soon. It's messy at the moment.
    Anybody heard anything from coolbho3k ? I was hoping to be able to play with some setcpu 2night..

Yes I am talking to him, he found the problem, he works on it.
    coolbho3k Michael Huang
    Been very busy past few days - can someone with a Sensation try the EVO 3D OC module (if you know how) and post a dmesg?

from twitter...dont have adb setup on this computer can someone help him out? he asked like 20 minutes ago

I twitted him the dmesg output
    can we put higher numbers ?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using XDA Premium App

it will only do 1188 until we get overclocking working. I edited the frequencies so they read correctly for the sensation. The previous ones were for my evo4g. With the setcpu.txt i posted you can now underclock and set profiles if you wish without using the 8x60.ko.\

Actually i recommend NOT using the 8x60.ko. When i used that the governors on setpu weren't working. Now when i change it to performace, it sets the cpu current state to the max freq automatically, like it should. it would not do that with the module installed, the governors were broken.
    I have 2.6.35.10-g9cef70d (htc-kernel@and18-2) (gcc version 4.4.0 (GCC) ) #1
    you send me downloadlink?

here u go.