Console OS Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

fire3element

Dec 22, 2009
This thread is not intended to be an official support thread for all issues and devices.
Currently Console OS backers are limited to the comments section on the kickstarter page, which is becoming a bit messy. Information is a little hard to find due to the length of the comments. We will eventually get a proper forum on ConsoleOS.com
Still, I feel that it will be beneficial to the entire community to have a Console OS dedicated section to hold device and issue specific threads here on XDA.

I do not know which mod to contact about opening a new section. I created this thread in effort to get the attention of whomever can help.
Please PM me if someone can help out here.. I do not mind if this thread need be moved or deleted.

Reactions: steelfatboy1

ruagun

Jul 19, 2011
Can someone post a link to the Console OS Dr1, so I can test it out on the Acer Iconia w 700.

fgdn17

Dec 10, 2010
Can someone post a link to the Console OS Dr1, so I can test it out on the Acer Iconia w 700.

https://01.org/android-ia/guides/devices/acer-iconia-w700

Download:
Ivy Bridge Generic 64bit UEFI Installer

asus t100 image....from android-x86.org
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/android-x86/asus$20t100$20image%7Csort:date/android-x86/FUiFCtrgc6I/UAoQ-if9dZMJ

Dell Venue 11 Pro images....from android-x86.org
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/android-x86/Dell$20Venue$2011$20Pro%7Csort:date/android-x86/a8_kK_2vL2w/_7BnjbDIWBIJ

Last edited:

fgdn17

Dec 10, 2010
The Intel Android lacks Arm support. It seems that the Console OS project fixes that issue.

I thought having something that works 1st was more important....

from their kickstarter user comments.......the majority are having issues even getting it to install.....
having ARM support isn't going to help any of the issues they seem to be having..............but whatever!!!

sec6

Aug 16, 2008
I have been following this project for some time. It is quite embarassing the state of the project. 80,000 dollars was raised, and this is what is delivered? Over promised and delivered an unusable product. Maybe some large company will believe all their hype and try to buy them out for a couple million. Isn't this how things work in dotcom land? Seems like a scam to me. Just one cynical man's opinion.

Miker1029

Jun 14, 2012
www.android-x86.net
Con$ole O$ Alternatives

I have been following this project for some time. It is quite embarassing the state of the project. 80,000 dollars was raised, and this is what is delivered? Over promised and delivered an unusable product. Maybe some large company will believe all their hype and try to buy them out for a couple million. Isn't this how things work in dotcom land? Seems like a scam to me. Just one cynical man's opinion.

Ya Pretty Much, Android-ia and Android-X86 Works On way more computers....It Might take a Little reading and a Little work, But from what I've read Android-X86 Already have it working on the Venue 11....No one is able to post comments on Kickstarter (Unless Backing), But believe I was dieing to for 10 Months!

So Anyone who comes here looking for help try:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/android-x86

and

https://01.org/android-ia

Reactions: Bluemeanie

fgdn17

Dec 10, 2010

isn't that the idea....his "team" is but himself....one person trying to be a "giant" when his background is nothing
but a "top 100" blogger of the internet.......watch for him to bail after his "non-existent partners" don't come through and
his "moving to lolipop" doesn't work out............a true scam if there ever was one.....!!!! he has all the excuses......
and a lot of peoples money....do you think he really cares?????

Last edited:

Miker1029

Jun 14, 2012
www.android-x86.net
Not TRUE!

isn't that the idea....his "team" is but himself....one person trying to be a "giant" when his background is nothing
but a "top 100" blogger of the internet.......watch for him to bail after his "partners" don't come through and
his "moving to lolipop" doesn't work out............a true scam if there ever was one.....!!!! he has all the excuses......
and a lot of peoples money....do you think he really cares?????

As Soon as The REAL DEVS Over on Android X86 Get It Working, He'll Send it out to all His Contributors!!!!! Err Till He runs low on cash for server space anywho....

He's a Great Guy Like That :silly:

fgdn17

Dec 10, 2010
This thread is not intended to be an official support thread for all issues and devices.
Currently Console OS backers are limited to the comments section on the kickstarter page, which is becoming a bit messy. Information is a little hard to find due to the length of the comments. We will eventually get a proper forum on ConsoleOS.com
Still, I feel that it will be beneficial to the entire community to have a Console OS dedicated section to hold device and issue specific threads here on XDA.

I do not know which mod to contact about opening a new section. I created this thread in effort to get the attention of whomever can help.
Please PM me if someone can help out here.. I do not mind if this thread need be moved or deleted.

New ConsoleOS Poll

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/android-x86/VYR0kaLW7yg

j814wong

Apr 11, 2012

You do realize that they only just release a Developer Release right? The thing is still essentially in pre-alpha development-wise. There is no way that one can reasonably expect a developer release to function anywhere near how the end product is intended to be. But it shows progress and that $76,000 will help by providing funding to perhaps gain partners or developers. And surely, you can't expect the guy to be working on ConsoleOS 24/7. Also, I DON"T want them bought out by another company because any time that happens, the original product is often shutdown and the chances of seeing a ConsoleOS released would be close to nil. If a company like Google or Microsoft, for example, bought it, they'd likely shut it down entirely ebcause they wouldn't want a competitor's operating system running with their own OS. If a hardware company that makes devices buys them out, you can be sure Microsoft or Google will find some way to stop it (That's one reason we likely won't see any tablets shipping with Windows and Android dual booted anymore even though I personally think such an idea holds potential).

Also, I don't think it's a scam because if it were, the developers would have ran off somewhere long ago but the fact that a developer release is out shows that they are still working on it. And frankly, once they make a properly functioning product, I can see massive potential for it.

fgdn17

Dec 10, 2010
You do realize that

They are using Android-IA as the base of ConsoleOS...

Android-IA was released in Aug. 2012.......with 12 different iterations before ConsoleOS went to
kickstarter claiming all the following after having worked on it for 18 months....so they started in January 2013
time frame...and this is a "a Developer Release right? The thing is still essentially in pre-alpha development-wise."

and they sold people the following:
- We’ve taken Android apart, and put it back together for your PC. Console OS is a fork of Android designed
to take everything that has made mobile awesome and bring it back to your PC.

- Production-grade Android on the Desktop
worked for the past 18 months to make sure everything from (optional) multi-touch to Miracast™ works great.

- We fully support many popular multi-touch displays that can turn the smallest to the largest desktops into
giant multi-touch Android devices. And no, you don’t need a multi-touch display for Android to be awesome on
your PC - we’ve made the UX both multi-touch and non-touch friendly.

- Out of the gates, we will support (over!) 25 iconic Laptops, PCs, x86 tablets and convertible devices with
Console OS. And, here they are:

Acer: Aspire S7
ASUS: Transformer Book T100, T300
CircuitCo: Minnowboard MAX
Dell: XPS 11, XPS 12, XPS 13, and XPS 15, Venue 8 Pro, Venue 11 Pro
Gigabyte: Most BRIX Models, H87-ITX, Z87-ITX
Intel: Next Unit of Computing (all NUC models except for Celeron 847)
Lenovo: Miix 2 8-inch, Miix 2 10-inch, IdeaPad U430p, ThinkPad X1 Carbon, Yoga 2, Yoga 2 Pro
Sager: NP2740
Sony: VAIO Tap 11, VAIO Pro 11 & 13
System76: Galago UltraPro
Toshiba: Portégé R30 & Z30, Satellite L55, Tecra A50, Z50 & Z40
Most Portable All-in-One Systems

Going through the list and the devices in the wiki..we get:
Acer Aspire ES1 - ISSUES
ASUS Transformer Book T100 - NOT SUPPORTED
ASUS Transformer Book T300 - ISSUES
Clevo W740SU - ISSUES...MUST USE Console OS W740SU BIOS Update
Dell XPS 11 - ISSUES
Dell XPS 12 - only support the second-generation XPS 12
Dell XPS 13 - only supporting the latest generation of XPS 13, may need to change WiFi card
Dell XPS 15 - only supporting the latest generation of XPS 15, graphics/wifi issues
Dell Venue 8 Pro - not supported
Dell Venue 11 Pro (Atom) - not supported
Dell Venue 11 Pro (Core) - many updates needed from Dell, then supported
Dell Venue 11 Pro (Core M)- not supported
Intel NUC D34010 - needs BIOS updates, only Intel 3160 or Intel 7260 Wifi supported
Intel NUC D54250- needs BIOS updates, only Intel 3160 or Intel 7260 Wifi supported
Intel NUC DC3217 - only Intel 3160 or Intel 7260 Wifi supported
Intel NUC DC53427 - only Intel 3160 or Intel 7260 Wifi supported
Lenovo IdeaPad U430p - only Intel 7260 Wi-Fi supported
Lenovo Miix 2 8 - not supported
Lenovo Miix 2 10 - not supported
Lenovo Yoga 2 11 - will run, However, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth not supported?
Lenovo Yoga 2 13 - only Intel 7260 Wi-Fi supported
Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro - latest BIOS from Lenovo.com needed first
Sony VAIO Tap 11 - latest BIOS from Sony.com needed first

and the rest we gave up on cause it is so depressing...

- We’re the first startup to successfully license all the key bits that make Android rock on PC hardware

- We’re featuring support for all the innovative hardware that x86 systems rock on the desktop, even
advanced features like Miracast, HDCP, HDMI mirroring, dual-display, 4K with DisplayPort, ARM NDK
app compatibility, and native hardware-accelerated H.264 decoding.

Team iConsole
‏@iConsole
Unlike some rollouts, we had a Plan B for issues. A new Kickstarter update just sent out - both on the site and to your email. Enjoy! (must have forgotten where they hid it..............???????????)

now go read the kickstarter backers comments....

check devices status(not operational) on the wiki, http://wiki.consoleos.com/index.php?title=Devices

read some of their posted excuses..

then ask.......never mind

but, I got a really good bridge I can sell you for the right amount if your interested....!!!

Last edited:

sec6

Aug 16, 2008
You do realize that they only just release a Developer Release right? The thing is still essentially in pre-alpha development-wise. There is no way that one can reasonably expect a developer release to function anywhere near how the end product is intended to be. But it shows progress and that $76,000 will help by providing funding to perhaps gain partners or developers. And surely, you can't expect the guy to be working on ConsoleOS 24/7. Also, I DON"T want them bought out by another company because any time that happens, the original product is often shutdown and the chances of seeing a ConsoleOS released would be close to nil. If a company like Google or Microsoft, for example, bought it, they'd likely shut it down entirely ebcause they wouldn't want a competitor's operating system running with their own OS. If a hardware company that makes devices buys them out, you can be sure Microsoft or Google will find some way to stop it (That's one reason we likely won't see any tablets shipping with Windows and Android dual booted anymore even though I personally think such an idea holds potential).

Also, I don't think it's a scam because if it were, the developers would have ran off somewhere long ago but the fact that a developer release is out shows that they are still working on it. And frankly, once they make a properly functioning product, I can see massive potential for it.

They have lied to their backers, period. All the window dressing on their turd of a product can't disguise that. They want the appearance of a great product so that they can cross their fingers that a big payday will be in store. It is all smoke and mirrors. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

minicoop

Dec 24, 2014
Yes its a developer release, but it the DR was promised to come with 1 month of funding and a full release in Dec. I see no real difference between the DR and Android-IA, installation and functionality is the same (or lack of). The fact the the basics just don't work such as there being no way to select sound output (no hdmi sound) just isn't good enough for the time its taken to get here. It should be renamed to ExcuseOS, because we've heard them all. I believe this project just to be smoke and mirrors and a final realese will never come.

sec6

Aug 16, 2008
I saw the founder of the project has a B.A. in Managerial Economics. I wonder if B.A. stands for Bull**** Artist.

fgdn17

Dec 10, 2010
They have lied to their backers, period. All the window dressing on their turd of a product can't disguise that. They want the appearance of a great product so that they can cross their fingers that a big payday will be in store. It is all smoke and mirrors. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

today after an update was emailed to backers, kickstarter comments....

18 minutes ago
I'm confused with today's update. It's great to have some news, but.... Does it seem that there won't be any progress in getting installation to work until Lollipop gets released to us at some future date? Am I wrong that the installation worked on very few, if any, devices, even the ones that are claimed on the wiki to be DR1-capable? I'd like to know which devices ConsoleOS is actually working on at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi Everyone,
    I think it is best for this thread to be closed for now. The current way that ConsoleOS is being distributed is counter to xda rules, because it is currently not offering an updated version to non backers, which makes it a pay for development project. Most of the discussion has centered around accusations of fraud and as you all know, xda is not a customer service forum, so please take those concerns to the Kickstarter page for this project.

Once a public version of ConsoleOS is available, it may be possible to reopen this thread.

Thanks!
    >Unfortunately, there is a clear pattern of 3-4 posters have had a serious, and frankly irrational hatred for Console OS since its inception.

Yes, this tack worked the last time for you, playing the victim and duping the mods. But it's now five months later, and it's harder to cry wolf when virtually every grandiose claim you've made has rung hollow. They're still there on the KS page for who bothers to read them--

"Everything from multi-touch to Miracast works great," "is painless to install for end-users and system builders alike," "our installer takes less than five minutes to pull that off, automagically," etc etc. Heh, you really laid it on with a trowel.

What's irrational is to take a "WE'VE BUILT AN OS" claim at face value without asking basic questions like "what are your qualifications" and "what work have you done." Your backers didn't bother, but some here did.

You don't have any. You were a blogger up until 2013 for the failed PhoneNews.com site (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Meathead200/PhoneNews.com). There is nothing in your edu or work history (http://christopherprice.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Resume.pdf , http://linkedin.com/in/chrislprice) that show any development work. Your iConsole.tv scheme is vaporware, existing only on a web site and an Engadget blurb. Similarly, your "team" has no existence in reality outside of your words, and you've consistently refused to give any detail on them. You talk big about your "industry partners" and your "multiple OEM contracts" but give no detail.

These are all telltale signs of fraud. As we hit the 5-month mark with a half-baked repackaged release of Android-IA, I'll leave it to the words of one of your backers (thanks to fgdn17 for the repost)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...he-pc/comments?cursor=8654297#comment-8654296

>There's nothing I can say that will assuage you

Which begs the question: Why are you here, arguing with your critics? Why aren't you answering your backers on the KS page? As you said, there's NOTHING you can say that will change minds here. We're way past fancy words and hollow claims. Your backers are waiting on you, and they aren't here.

Your online activitities reflect poorly on the project you purportedly work on "night and day"--you harangued about CableCards and Comcast on Twitter (http://twitter.com/chrisprice), get into arguments on Android-x86, and seem intent on winning some weird PR war here, while steadfastly ignoring the poor saps who paid you. It only reinforces the notion that Console OS is nothing more than smoke and mirrors, and PR is the only thing that matters to you.

Believe me when I say that I would love to be wrong, that somehow this virtual "1-5" team of yours--lead by a failed blogger no less--can do something even a multi-billion-dollar company like Amazon has difficulty with. But I'm a bit too old for tooth fairies and Santa Claus, and your continuing MO only affirms the obvious: Christopher L Price is a fraud, and Console OS is a scam.

So please, do prove me wrong and provide a "production-grade" OS some time this century. Oh, and don't forget all those fancy doodads like PoopFlinger and InstaFib. I'm counting on you. Not to fear, we will still be here to cheer you on. It's not often we get see a scammer at work. GO CHRISTOPHER GO! :)

PS: Yes, do have a nice vacation at CES. Take your time. Heck, take another couple of weeks off while you're at it. After all that hard work "burning the midnight oil," you certainly deserve it.
    Happy Holidays, everyone.

A thread about Console OS already existed in the Windows 8 General forum, while its KS was still ongoing. In that thread, I've detailed a fair bit of the shenanigans I dug up for its principal, Chris Price. He promised the moon, and as would be expected, there were more than a few gullible folks who took the bait.

All the evidence pointed to a scam. From his resume, CV, personal blog, and history of his previous vaporware project (iConsole.tv), Price has no developer or tech background. He said he has a "team" which he has never shown or mentioned the names of. He touted a great variety of "features" that don't exist. The only question I had was how the con was going down, whether it was a straight-up "take the money and run" scam, or did Price actually have a legit project in development.

The answer was apparently something in between. Price was a regular on the Android-IA forum, and my best guess is that Console OS DR1 is a repackaged Android IA release, gauging from their similar rough edges. Legally, then, he is in the clear. The Console OS project is not technically a scam, as he did produce a product for the project, even if it turned out to be a repackaging of another existing product. Strictly speaking, what Price did isn't illegal. Console OS will be just another failed KS venture, one of many.

But it doesn't minimize the fact that the Console OS project was built on a mountain of lies. Most every piece of info shown on the KS page, and the "consoleos.com" page, is a lie. There will never be a final "industry grade" release, not unless Android-IA itself suddenly got better in a hurry. $78K is a nice chunk of take-home, although I'm curious if it is worth it to have your name forever associated with a public swindle. I think Price will eventually pay the piper somewhere down the line, and that $78K will be poor compensation.

I've no sympathy for the exploited. All the pieces were there to be gleaned, and they didn't bother to fact-check. As said in that thread, I think it's a good life experience, and a cheap lesson about scams (except for the peeps who paid $1K).

BTW, Price did succeed in teaching me something. After his complaining got my comments wiped from said thread, thanks to some knee-jerk moderation, I've come to realize that there are better places to be, and have ceased my regular participation here. Thanks, Price, for that nugget.
    @fgdn17 - Ironic that Price is harping about the propriety of licensing, when Console OS is in all likelihood lifted straight from Android-IA (or x86) without any attribution.

Anyway, I was sitting and wondering why Price is still hanging around with this schtick, when it's already at the end of the line. There's no way to continue, because that would mean actually providing working drivers for all those systems, drivers that aren't in the open-source projects. Then it dawned on me why: Price used his real name.

And not just his real name, but every scrap of his online life is readily searchable. I found his home address in about 10 minutes through Googling, along with his resume, his work history, and his online associations. Anyone could do the same, without even paying for the more in-depth people look-up services.

What's worse is that from the 411 link, his last known address is also his parents' address, ie he's living with them. So now his parents (in their 60s) are also caught in the dragnet.

Now, think about the potential for payback when you've swindled almost 6000 people out of their money, with your name known, and your (parents') address easily found. Even if we discount the notion of physical harm, there's all sorts of ways to make somebody's life miserable when you have their personal details. It's just pure stupidity to put his own parents in harm's way for a get-rich-quick scam.

The vast majority of Price's backers paid the $10 slot, and most of them will likely write it off as a loss w/o doing anything. But there are a few hundred people who paid more, including some $500 and $1000 backers. And for vindictive types, it doesn't matter the amount; they will go after you. 6,000 is a lot of people to piss off.

So, what Price is apparently doing is to try to pass Console OS off as a failed KS project rather than be tagged as a scam, to minimize the possibility of retribution. To do that, he would have to at least deliver the first milestone (DR1), which he did. Next, he would have to arrange for a seemingly legit exit. I'm guessing this will happen soon, as the natives are starting to get wise, and you don't want the mob to build up a head of steam.

Looking forward to reading Price's so-so-sorry letter, and whether the kiddies buy it.
    Con$ole O$ Alternatives

Ya Pretty Much, Android-ia and Android-X86 Works On way more computers....It Might take a Little reading and a Little work, But from what I've read Android-X86 Already have it working on the Venue 11....No one is able to post comments on Kickstarter (Unless Backing), But believe I was dieing to for 10 Months!

So Anyone who comes here looking for help try:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/android-x86

and

https://01.org/android-ia