Nexus 7 Update 4.1 to 4.2.2 Manually in [ No ROOT , NO CMW ]

Search This thread

v2dare

Jul 21, 2011
Kerala
I got my nexus 7 wifi onlu (4.1) and it shows an update available of 4.2.
I just want to save my Wifi Data Traffic ... So wished to update manually ....

googled and found solutions ...
http://www.androidauthority.com/how...nexus-7-and-nexus-10-to-android-4-2-2-156784/
but the recover mode method confused me , i thought it need adb .... is the above link specifies an update rather than a complete ROM flashing

So my question is this

can i update using the Downloaded Zip using recovery mode in nexus?

The link i gt my net has two different size one
http://r2---sn-o3o-itqe.c.android.c....signed-nakasi-JDQ39-from-JOP40D.6ece895e.zip (47mb)
https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/nakasi-jdq39-factory-c317339e.tgz (275 Mb)

Why the File size differs ? is the first one an Update Zip and second One a complete ROM ?

3. Do i need adb installed to update from recovery ?

I dont wanna root and install CMW now ... will try later ... im using a DEFY for last 2 years and flashing many ROMS ...so i know basic android terminologies ... thanks in advance ... please reply ...

bftb0

Feb 5, 2010
For a pure stock device with a locked bootloader, the only upgrade path is via OTA file bundle if you insist on keeping the bootloader locked. The large (complete) factory images can only be used with fastboot and an unlocked bootloader.

To do the OTA manually, rather than via automatic WiFi download , I recall that the stock recovery no longer has a "update.zip" menu choice, but instead has a menu choice for ADB sideload*. This implies that you need to get ADB working ahead of time to manually apply the OTA.

You are correct about the two file types - the smaller one is a differential patch set (OTA), and the larger a complete factory ROM for use with fastboot as mentioned above.

Because the OTAs are patch sets they are tightly matched to the version of software on your tablet... and you said something vague about your current software version. For instance, you mentioned the OTA file

6ece895ecb23.signed-nakasi-JDQ39-from-JOP40D.6ece895e.zip

... but said that you have "4.1"

4.1.2 would be JZO54K, not JOP40D (which is 4.2.1; JDQ39 is 4.2.2)

So, please state your exact software version number you currently have - and the version you want to go to. And have a look at the OTA thread

*might depend on which version of stock software you have on the tablet.

v2dare

Jul 21, 2011
Kerala
thanks ....... i dnt have nexus 7 with me now (my wife took it for some office works)and so cant verify the version .... But i remember its 4.1 and it no updates was done after i gt it ....

and thanks for pointing the mistake that 47mb zip was for 4.2.1 to 4.2.2 and not for 4.1 to 4.2.

i got http://android.clients.google.com/p....signed-nakasi-JDQ39-from-JZO54K.da55f917.zip link from XDA Link ...

Now tell me can i use this file ??

i cant directly Update using recovery menu .... ???
and i need to unlock bootloader to use ADB ??

For a pure stock device with a locked bootloader, the only upgrade path is via OTA file bundle if you insist on keeping the bootloader locked. The large (complete) factory images can only be used with fastboot and an unlocked bootloader.

To do the OTA manually, rather than via automatic WiFi download , I recall that the stock recovery no longer has a "update.zip" menu choice, but instead has a menu choice for ADB sideload*. This implies that you need to get ADB working ahead of time to manually apply the OTA.

You are correct about the two file types - the smaller one is a differential patch set (OTA), and the larger a complete factory ROM for use with fastboot as mentioned above.

Because the OTAs are patch sets they are tightly matched to the version of software on your tablet... and you said something vague about your current software version. For instance, you mentioned the OTA file

So, please state your exact software version number you currently have - and the version you want to go to. And have a look at the OTA thread

Last edited:

bftb0

Feb 5, 2010
thanks ....... i dnt have nexus 7 and so cant verify the version .... But i remember its 4.1 and it no updates was done after i gt it ....

The EXACT version is needed in order to choose the correct OTA file, there have been five different versions of "4.1" for nakasi. See here.

Only if you have JZO54K on your tablet. As I noted, there was more than one version of "4.1"

Depends on what version you have.

No. You only need to unlock the bootloader in order to flash partitions or boot arbitrary images with fastboot. ADB sideload does not need an unlocked bootloader.

I can't help further until you know the exact version number. (I'm going to bed now anyways)

Reactions: v2dare

v2dare

Jul 21, 2011
Kerala
i updated nexus from 4.1.1 to 4.2.2 when i gt wifi in my office ....

Now should i clear data and dalvinik cache for better performance ??

FitAmp

Mar 21, 2012
Terrace
You can update to 4.2.2 with fast boot... Don't need root or a custom recovery to do that :p

Press thanks if I helped ~ Nexus7/Stock4.2.2/MKernel

bftb0

Feb 5, 2010
i updated nexus from 4.1.1 to 4.2.2 when i gt wifi in my office ....

Now should i clear data and dalvinik cache for better performance ??

4.1.1 = one of JRO03C, JRO03D, or JRO03S (but not JZO54K). How did you use the tablet for so long without getting the update already? (Perhaps you just ignored the update messages?)

Clearing the dalvik cache probably won't change anything, but certainly can not hurt. On the other hand though, wiping /data is essentially the same thing as a "factory reset".

(To be clear, "factory reset" in Android-speak does not mean "return to the original firmware" - it means instead "wipe away all traces of user customization".)

good luck

v2dare

Jul 21, 2011
Kerala
Like i said i gt nexus 7 last week only and while using wifi i noticed some lag in internet speed ... then i checked OS version and found its updating in background....

So i stopped update by clearing the cache and didnt checked for "update available" thereafter as i know it will again start updating the OS....

now gt a Wifi connection, downloaded the 102mb patch and now its 4.2.2

4.1.1 = one of JRO03C, JRO03D, or JRO03S (but not JZO54K). How did you use the tablet for so long without getting the update already? (Perhaps you just ignored the update messages?)

Clearing the dalvik cache probably won't change anything, but certainly can not hurt. On the other hand though, wiping /data is essentially the same thing as a "factory reset".

(To be clear, "factory reset" in Android-speak does not mean "return to the original firmware" - it means instead "wipe away all traces of user customization".)

good luck

anorton02

May 26, 2013
I have a Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi only) stuck on 4.1.1. Build is JRO03S. I got this as a gift for XMas and haven't been able to update it at all OTA. It's stock. I'm able to download the 4.2.2 update just fine, but the problem comes when I'm installing the update. The progress bar gets to about 20-25%, then it stops; this is signified with the android mascot falling down dead with a red exclamation triangle popping out of it's opened chest. Help?

iamstephen1128

Jun 29, 2014
Same problem

I have a Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi only) stuck on 4.1.1. Build is JRO03S. I got this as a gift for XMas and haven't been able to update it at all OTA. It's stock. I'm able to download the 4.2.2 update just fine, but the problem comes when I'm installing the update. The progress bar gets to about 20-25%, then it stops; this is signified with the android mascot falling down dead with a red exclamation triangle popping out of it's opened chest. Help?

I've got the same problem as this guy. My nexus has been "trying" to update for well over a year and nothing has worked. I cant find much info on the problem outside of suggestions to clear the cache and do the reset but that doesnt help....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

thanks ....... i dnt have nexus 7 and so cant verify the version .... But i remember its 4.1 and it no updates was done after i gt it ....

The EXACT version is needed in order to choose the correct OTA file, there have been five different versions of "4.1" for nakasi. See here.

Only if you have JZO54K on your tablet. As I noted, there was more than one version of "4.1"

Depends on what version you have.

No. You only need to unlock the bootloader in order to flash partitions or boot arbitrary images with fastboot. ADB sideload does not need an unlocked bootloader.

I can't help further until you know the exact version number. (I'm going to bed now anyways)