Refund or ANOTHER Replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Wutang200

Jul 14, 2011
Manchester
I've now had about 6 or 7 replacements of Nexus 5's with varying ***K numbers and finally Google have asked me if I would accept a full refund instead of a replacement.

The main issue I've been getting that isn't being fixed by them is nobody can hear ever me properly as it's always muffled on their end although I can hear them perfectly.

If I were to get a replacement, there's a 99.99% chance that the issue will still be there but I love everything else about the phone too much.

If I were to get a refund, what alternative is there that's as good as the Nexus 5 offering a pure Android experience?

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Since the problem exists for everyone I can guarantee you the problem will still be there. Accept a refund or wait for a software fix. Cover up teh 2nd microphone to see if that si any better.

---------- Post added at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 PM ----------

Weird... Since I bought this phone people say they hear me more clearly now.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It's noise cancellation. depends on where you are (how much background noise and how close to the second microphone the noise is)

RussellEstridge25

Oct 30, 2011
North Branch
Since the problem exists for everyone I can guarantee you the problem will still be there. Accept a refund or wait for a software fix. Cover up teh 2nd microphone to see if that si any better.

---------- Post added at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 PM ----------

It's noise cancellation. depends on where you are (how much background noise and how close to the second microphone the noise is)

Doesn't matter why, but its crystal clear for me.

vin4yak

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai
vinu.info
Well, there are obviously no devices which provide the pure android experience except the GPE editions of HTC One etc.

However, if you like to root, then you can basically buy any high end device and flash a custom rom and enjoy the pure aosp experience. But the Nexus 5 is Google's baby and the awesome support you will get here won't be available elsewhere! Nexus 5 is a cut above the rest when it comes to development :cowboy:

I would strongly suggest you to wait for Google's next update :)

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

Well, I won't say it's crystal clear but there isn't much muffling on my device. Yes, as rootsu explained, it surely does depend upon the environment you're in.

Wezi

Dec 9, 2011
Get Rid

I've now had about 6 or 7 replacements of Nexus 5's with varying ***K numbers and finally Google have asked me if I would accept a full refund instead of a replacement.

The main issue I've been getting that isn't being fixed by them is nobody can hear ever me properly as it's always muffled on their end although I can hear them perfectly.

If I were to get a replacement, there's a 99.99% chance that the issue will still be there but I love everything else about the phone too much.

If I were to get a refund, what alternative is there that's as good as the Nexus 5 offering a pure Android experience?

6 or 7 times, honestly i don't know how you have the patience. Luckily I haven't experienced this problem, what i do know is that when i had the S2 i used to get very good call quality. Its noise cancellation worked to well. I'd imagine its the same for the S4 and S5.

One thing I will say though, I don't think i'd happier with any phone currently more than the Nexus 5. I had the LG G2 briefly, expecting it to be a superior N5 I was shockingly disappointed. The build quality is relatively poor compared to the N5 and the screen isn't big enough for me to notice the difference. The back was a finger print nightmare (though the white version of the LG G2 might disguise this) and I personally found the buttons on the back awkward.

The deal breaker ultimately was knowing i'd not be able to get pure AOSP for the LG G2, not in the same manner as the Nexus 5, in that it comes with stock vanilla rom, to which i can simply add Xposed frameworks and tweak every aspect of my rom. The G2's would always be custom version from CM or AOKP etc, (which isn't necessarily a bad thing for most).

Anyway, all this made me appreciate the N5 even more. (The white one :p)

Enddo

Oct 31, 2013
Atlanta, Ga.
www.youtube.com

i thought noise cancellation can be disabled

Wutang200

Jul 14, 2011
Manchester
I've had this issue on every single N5 I've had from Google. Every single person complains they can't hear me properly or I sound like I'm far away from the mic. Blocking the top noise cancelling mic helps but I really don't want to have to hold my phone a certain way just to speak to my contacts (reminds me of the iPhone 4 antenna issue).

I'll just get a replacement again one last time and then try to find out if they will be addressing the issue in a future update or something.

I don't think there's any other phone that's as good as the N5.

The HTC One is too old now and I can't get a GPE version here in the UK. Also I'm too used to having 3 buttons as opposed to HTC One's 2 button approach.

I hate Samsungs from the horrible Touchwiz to their plasticky uninspiring build quality. To get vanilla, I'd need to root which means a void warranty.

Not keen on the LG G2 or Sony's for similar reasons about voiding warranty as Samsungs to get vanilla.

vin4yak

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai
vinu.info
No offence but what was the point in creating this thread then? You've pretty much explained everything in your previous post. The device which you're looking for is a Nexus and you yourself have pointed out as to why you don't want to buy any other devices!

In any case, lets just be patient and hope that THE BOSS releases this fix in their next update! Cheers!

Wutang200

Jul 14, 2011
Manchester
I've sent Google an angry email regarding this issue asking them to look into fixing it.

In the meantime, I've asked for another replacement.

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Blocking the top noise cancelling mic helps but I really don't want to have to hold my phone a certain way just to speak to my contacts

No but by testing that you identify that it IS noise cancellation.

Asking for a replacement is useless. I mean literally useless. The new one WILL have this issue. There is no fix yet. Either wait until there is or get a refund.

Derekwolfee

Feb 29, 2012
I don't and have never had this issue. People tell me I'm really clear on the phone.. I actually havnt even seen complaints about this in the forums maybe I missed it lol.

Wutang200

Jul 14, 2011
Manchester
No but by testing that you identify that it IS noise cancellation.

Asking for a replacement is useless. I mean literally useless. The new one WILL have this issue. There is no fix yet. Either wait until there is or get a refund.

I'm not settling for a phone that is useless as a 'phone'. I'm going to keep getting them to send me replacements until they understand there's an issue here that needs addressing. I'll just keep doing it until the Nexus 6 comes out then sell on my latest replacement as a brand new unopened handset and get the Nexus 6.

If this was the iPhone, they'd have addressed and fixed it a long time ago!! Why should we have to suffer this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've done a fair bit of searching mate and I've not come across ANY official responses from Google. The tech blogs haven't even mentioned anything either! Like I said earlier, please feel free to post some links to these so called official responses.

As far as I'm concerned, they're not aware of the issue. I just ordered my 10th replacement and the guy didn't mention to me any issues regarding the microphone or any upcoming fixes. He just offered me a refund and when I questioned him about getting the actual issue fixed, he just sent me a generic replacement device email instead.

I assure you my voice is perfectly fine. I regularly use a mobile phone (not the Nexus 5) to make a living and not a single person has ever struggled to hear me unless I use the N5. Are you sure your voice is fine too and you're not speaking loudly down the phone to your contacts because that doesn't count.

Here's an acknowledgement: https://productforums.google.com/d/msg/nexus/JZGA5p-VX1A/1TlQiwVklPkJ

Oh, and here's an official statement about it being a SOFTWARE issue and a fix is coming: https://productforums.google.com/d/msg/nexus/DbvPiXcyhi4/GvxepPTwG9IJ

Please consider being a decent human being for the benefit of yourself and everyone else on this planet.
    This discussion has achieved everything it was ever going to achieve...
    Thread closed.
    I'm not settling for a phone that is useless as a 'phone'. I'm going to keep getting them to send me replacements until they understand there's an issue here that needs addressing. I'll just keep doing it until the Nexus 6 comes out then sell on my latest replacement as a brand new unopened handset and get the Nexus 6.

If this was the iPhone, they'd have addressed and fixed it a long time ago!! Why should we have to suffer this issue.

So you are aware that it is a software issue that can't be corrected by a new phone, Google has acknowledged it, yet you still continue to do an RMA? If the Nexus 6 is more than the usual $350, we should all come back to this thread and hit your thanks button.
    10 replacements? That's pathetic, and probably a hint.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Have you tried calling people from Hangouts, Skype, and the like? Have you tried using a headset? Does the problem still persist in those conditions?