What is the advantage of cooking a ROM in a kitchen?

Search This thread

Protonus

Aug 7, 2008
Webster, NY
protonus.ws
I did a bunch of searching but didn't come up with a clear answer (probably due to just how much info is out there on cooking).

Why do people cook ROM's in kitchens? What is the advantage of it, vs taking a clean rom, and installing the .cab's for the various programs / options you want, using a program like Sashimi or even manually?

It seems like if it's cooked into the ROM, a program can't be removed or upgraded. Is there a storage size benefit or some other benefit? Thanks in advance.

scrawnyb

Jun 23, 2008
Mechanicsburg, PA
Well some people like to REMOVE stuff that they don't use. DCD includes a lot of stuff by default that I personally remove when I use the kitchen. Likewise, he doesn't include some of the stuff I like to install that isn't (officially) in CAB form.

A good example of this is that I remove all Voice-related stuff and add the Entertainment pack to my Kitchen ROMs, as well as some generic stuff like TomTom7.

As far as auto-installing using Sashimi or Autorun/etc, I can't really answer anything related to those, but integrating into an OEM eliminates the need to install via CAB (it's basically installed when u flash).

I hope that helps some. If not, ask away.

BillThyCat

Jun 13, 2008
One benefit I see is if you have some form of a tracking tool, if someone steals your phone and does a hard reset, if you have it cooked in the rom via kitchen, then it restarts back up and will be able to help you recover your phone.

For tools that don't update on a regular schedule, there is the benefit of not having to reload it from a cab. In my case I have it auto-configure my exchange settings, owner info, load a few games that I don't have a cab for, and to change a few of the programs that DCD provides that I don't use.

I can hard reset my phone in the field and within 30 seconds my data is already being synced back to my phone with only a few clicks.

BTC

joojoobee666

Jul 9, 2008
One benefit I see is if you have some form of a tracking tool, if someone steals your phone and does a hard reset, if you have it cooked in the rom via kitchen, then it restarts back up and will be able to help you recover your phone.

For tools that don't update on a regular schedule, there is the benefit of not having to reload it from a cab. In my case I have it auto-configure my exchange settings, owner info, load a few games that I don't have a cab for, and to change a few of the programs that DCD provides that I don't use.

I can hard reset my phone in the field and within 30 seconds my data is already being synced back to my phone with only a few clicks.

BTC

The hard-reset idea was what I used to claim, but not anymore. I flash a new ROM on this phone like every 2 weeks. (addiction?) Having most of my apps cooked on after flashing is the biggest benefit for me now. Since I've got all my apps in OEM form (some already made, some I created on my own), I just simply use them in whatever kitchen. So now, no matter what ROM I flash to, it's still the "same" for me :D

defaultdotxbe

Jul 17, 2007
Chicago
i do it mainly for convenience, its a lot easier for me to configure all my email, owner info, reg tweaks, and other stuff on my PC before flashing than on the phone after flashing

CorkVDH

Aug 28, 2008
Dallas
Great question!

Why do people cook ROM's in kitchens? What is the advantage of it, vs taking a clean rom, and installing the .cab's for the various programs / options you want.

It seems like if it's cooked into the ROM, a program can't be removed or upgraded. Is there a storage size benefit or some other benefit? Thanks in advance.

I'm very new to this, but now that I've installed my first custom ROM I've been wondering the same thing. I find the responses you've received very interesting - for instance, how do you

configure all my email, owner info, reg tweaks, and other stuff on my PC before flashing than on the phone after flashing

If I can do that, then it would seem to make sense to put up as stripped a ROM as possible and load all my normal programs on the storage card.

BillThyCat

Jun 13, 2008
I used a tool called OEMIzer, it let me preset owner info, email server info, default theme, etc.

BTC

BillThyCat

Jun 13, 2008
I miss Bloom County..... None of BB's comics since have been as funny or as thought provoking.

My brothers "hacker" alias was Oliver Wendell Jones.

I was in HS at the time, so you got a few years on me :)

BTC

CorkVDH

Aug 28, 2008
Dallas

defaultdotxbe

Jul 17, 2007
Chicago
If I can do that, then it would seem to make sense to put up as stripped a ROM as possible and load all my normal programs on the storage card.
thats pretty much what i do, i dont cook any apps into the rom, just settings, then i have cabs for all my apps on my storage card, i dont install them to the card because of access speeds

CorkVDH

Aug 28, 2008
Dallas
thats pretty much what i do, i dont cook any apps into the rom, just settings, then i have cabs for all my apps on my storage card, i dont install them to the card because of access speeds

So do you put all your data files (Excel workbooks, Word docs, databases, etc.) on your card? With 8 to 16 GB cards, there's little worry about running out of storage now.

I've installed nearly all of my (non-MS) apps on the card currently; loading doesn't seem to be a problem except for Skyfire. Next ROM image I assemble I will minimize everything in ROM and use your "CAB on Card" idea.

Thanks for the comment. cv

roopull

Jun 30, 2007
For quite some time, I used the kitchen on my Apache & then some with my Mogul.

For the Apache, the biggest benefit was saving memory by getting rid of all the crap Sprint loads on the phone. For the Mogul, memory isn't as big an issue, anymore.

I quit using the kitchen because the results were too buggy with my Mogul. I need my phone to operate every single time I use it and the one in a hundred times my kitchen-ized phone wouldn't work right was one time too many.

One of the annoying things about the kitchen, imo, is that there are dozens of wonderful apps with no explanation as to what they do. I've inquired about them a few times & rarely ever gotten a clear answer. Most of them can be Googled, but many can't. It seems like a waste.

In the end, I'm using Sprint's latest official ROM with lots and lots of upgrades. I also have figured out how to delete most of the files that are installed by default using various file explorers, so I've cleared up even more memory. Now, my phone is rock solid... doesn't have a single glitch... works 100% of the time at 100% capability. I do not worry that the bluetooth will decide it's not going to work, don't worry that the answer button won't work when I receive a call, don't worry that it's going to freeze up for no reason...

The kitchen is fun, and with my Apache, was a lifesaver.
I just don't feel the bugs I get from the kitchen outweigh the bugs Sprint's 6800 rom gives me (I haven't actually found any, yet.) With the Apache, the equation worked the other way around.