[APP][CM9]Evernote/Kindle UI for ICS

Search This thread

Kem-El

Apr 6, 2010
If you're running the latest ICS nightly (since 2012-02-02, I think) and use Evernote, you've probably noticed that it not longer displays the tablet UI.

For some reason, the Evernote app calculates width of the screen is 4.xxxx instead of the 7.xxxx required for displaying the tablet UI.

I've modified the APK to ignore the calculation so that the app displays the tablet UI.

I hope you like it. :)

com.evernote-2.apk

UPDATE: Some people have asked me to look at the Kindle app too.
Looking into it, but it is a little more complex ...

Attachments

• Evernote-PhoneUI.jpg
    Evernote-PhoneUI.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 662
  • Evernote-TabletUI.jpg
    Evernote-TabletUI.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 664
  • com.evernote-2.apk
    4.6 MB · Views: 250
Last edited:
Reactions: mateorod and IamJAX

Kem-El

Apr 6, 2010
If you already have Evernote, you'll need to uninstall it before trying to install this one.

Tip:
Copy this to /system/app to ensure you'll never lose it ...
That way if you update the app thru the market and lose the tablet UI you can uninstall updates

Sent from my PC36100 using xda premium

Reactions: IamJAX

IamJAX

May 11, 2009
Bangalore
Thanks a lot for this. Tablet UI is lot better. really missed it with recent nightly....I even tried changing DPI..still no use. Your fix is really good . Thanks a lot.. :)

Kem-El

Apr 6, 2010
No problem; glad I could help! :D

Sent from my NookColor rockin' tasty ICS

mateorod

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
Hey, cool! I read about this in your posts on the user thread. How did you do this? I don't know enough to diagnose it, but I would be interested in digging through a couple different apps in this manner.

HacDan

Dec 28, 2009
Vergennes, VT
Do you have access to the block of code you changed or are you dis-assembling this to make this work? This is a common problem across a few google apps as well (chrome, docs, etc) Just wondering if you had any insight into the root problem.

mateorod

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
Yeah, that's why I want to know as well. I saw people asking you to take a look at the Kindle app over in the development thread, and I figure instead of buying us dinner you could just teach us how to fish, you know?

Kem-El

Apr 6, 2010
Yeah I disassembled the apk.

Essentially, I searched the decompiled files for the word "tablet" ... When I thought I found what I was looking for, I compared it against the logcat.

Reactions: mateorod

Kem-El

Apr 6, 2010
Hey guys (and probably gals too) I'm sorry I haven't posted anything yet ... Work's been kinda hectic ...it appears I have some time this weekend, so I'll look into the kindle app ... If I have time (if the kindle is easy), I'll look at aldiko too

Since I don't really use these apps .. screenshots would help, I realize they'd be doctored and/or annotated

:D

Reactions: ronjan and mateorod

zombieflanders

Mar 19, 2011
FWIW the official Kindle app update that just showed up on my GN claims that it's fixed margins and spacing on tablets. I'm not near my Nook, but let us know if it works.

FWIW the official Kindle app update that just showed up on my GN claims that it's fixed margins and spacing on tablets. I'm not near my Nook, but let us know if it works.

Yeah unfortunately it's not fixed on the Nook Color or the Touchpad.

I'll upload a picture of the Kindle app and describe the differences of tablet mode and phone mode on the Nook. I am very interested in having my NC as well as my TP displaying the Kindle app correctly for landscape mode. Without the split screen with two pages displayed in landscape mode, it's a long traverse to read a line across the entire length if the tablet. Lol

If you still have time to look into this, I would be very grateful. No worries either way.

Thanks for the Evernote fix!

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Yeah unfortunately it's not fixed on the Nook Color or the Touchpad.
It is fixed in CM9 on the nook color. I have tested it. The margins and line spacing is much improved. You still cannot adjust them, but it is very readable. Make sure you have the very latest version.

Sent from my Nook Color running ICS and Tapatalk

It is fixed in CM9 on the nook color. I have tested it. The margins and line spacing is much improved. You still cannot adjust them, but it is very readable. Make sure you have the very latest version.

Sent from my Nook Color running ICS and Tapatalk

Hi leapinar,
I am on the latest version and the Kindle app is not in tablet mode at 160 dpi. I do see the changes you mentioned. However just to be clear, when you hold your Nook in landscape orientation does the screen split and have two side by side pages like an open book?

Edit: I disassembled the apk, but it is not clear at all to me what is triggering the tablet view/install. I tried a few edits and reassembled the apk and nadda.. At this point I am just blindly throwing darts..

Last edited:

Kem-El

Apr 6, 2010
Guys,

Sorry about disappearing ... I was out of town for work for a couple of days and busy on a new work project.

I've looked at the new version of the Kindle app, and yes the margins are better, but having the ability to adjust them like the phone would be ideal.

I'm looking at the code to see if I can just swap out the tablet reader view with the phone view, giving us the phone menu options.

A little slow going ...

Necromancyr

Sep 16, 2010
this would be great. http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2011/12/07/aldiko-ebook-reader-app-updated-for-tablets/ The movie on this page shows what it would look like in tablet mode. When you install it on your nook you should be able to see the phone mode.

you can also download the apk from their own website: www.aldiko.com whithout the market.

Would just like to second this - the app is actually semi-unusable without it being switched because there's no way to access 'menu' (no hard button on the NC and no softbutton shows up in the app).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you're running the latest ICS nightly (since 2012-02-02, I think) and use Evernote, you've probably noticed that it not longer displays the tablet UI.

For some reason, the Evernote app calculates width of the screen is 4.xxxx instead of the 7.xxxx required for displaying the tablet UI.

I've modified the APK to ignore the calculation so that the app displays the tablet UI.

I hope you like it. :)

com.evernote-2.apk

UPDATE: Some people have asked me to look at the Kindle app too.
    Looking into it, but it is a little more complex ...
    Hey guys (and probably gals too) I'm sorry I haven't posted anything yet ... Work's been kinda hectic ...it appears I have some time this weekend, so I'll look into the kindle app ... If I have time (if the kindle is easy), I'll look at aldiko too

Since I don't really use these apps .. screenshots would help, I realize they'd be doctored and/or annotated

:D

If you already have Evernote, you'll need to uninstall it before trying to install this one.

Tip:
    Copy this to /system/app to ensure you'll never lose it ...
    That way if you update the app thru the market and lose the tablet UI you can uninstall updates

Yeah I disassembled the apk.

Essentially, I searched the decompiled files for the word "tablet" ... When I thought I found what I was looking for, I compared it against the logcat.

Yeah I used apktools found here:

http://code.google.com/p/android-apktool/