Droid 2 LCD uses too much battery

Search This thread

shoman24v

Mar 4, 2007
Fresno, CA
Look at the photo, seriously why is it like this?

droid2batteryuse.jpg

th3drow

Jul 21, 2008
i think thats normal, mine does that too and afaik the old droid did the same thing.

goliathvt

Dec 30, 2008
Blacksburg
I found I was able to about double my battery life by setting my brightness manually to about 10%. I've found this to be plenty of illumination in just about any situation unless I'm trying to view my phone outside.

A nice brightness widget I've found is called "Brightness Level."

jcsugrue

May 25, 2010
Columbus, OH
Could it just be a case of "new gadget syndrome" ? The D2 is my sixth Android phone, and they all seem to suffer from this "bug" when I first get them.

jerseyh22accord

Jun 5, 2010
Could it just be a case of "new gadget syndrome" ? The D2 is my sixth Android phone, and they all seem to suffer from this "bug" when I first get them.

haha yeah cause you have to set everything up and download all your apps and such so its a huge battery drain there.

but back to the OT of course the screen/display uses the most amount of power on your phone and what you are seeing there is normal.

your battery life seems pretty good if after 7 hours you still have over 1/2 your battery

orateam

Jun 20, 2005
Orlando
I gotta say, i couldn't disagree more.

Look at my signature, i've had quite a few Androids and so far they've all been horrible. But even though i'm gonna get the fascinate, I don't think i'll beat the battery life on the droid2. I've been VERY impressed with this phone's battery life. All of the Android phones i've had were lucky to get 18-24 hours of battery life with moderate use. The galaxy S's did better than the EVO, but the droid 2 has been the winner in this department.

On the EVO, i typically got 10-16 hours
On the GAlaxy S's, i was gettin 18-28 hours
On the Droid2 i've been getting 33-55 hours

All have the same 1400mh battery and i use them all the same way.
My phone is currently on 50 hours without plugging it in. (i have an app for that) and it was only at 90% when i unplugged it.

smashpunks

Aug 6, 2010
Portland

Look at my signature, i've had quite a few Androids and so far they've all been horrible. But even though i'm gonna get the fascinate, I don't think i'll beat the battery life on the droid2. I've been VERY impressed with this phone's battery life. All of the Android phones i've had were lucky to get 18-24 hours of battery life with moderate use. The galaxy S's did better than the EVO, but the droid 2 has been the winner in this department.

My phone is currently on 50 hours without plugging it in. (i have an app for that) and it was only at 90% when i unplugged it.

Sgs has a 1500 mah

eddysamson

Aug 20, 2010
Display is always the biggest energy user by far on my Droid 2 and I have the brightness turned down to about 5% and I am no longer using a live wallpaper...I can't think of what else it could be?

orateam

Jun 20, 2005
Orlando
I guess after having the evo, I've grown used to conserving battery. Here is what I do. Not use live wallpaper, turn on things like wifi and bluetooth when not using them. And use a task manager to kill everything when turning it off.

Big Dawg 23

Feb 13, 2008
Northfield
My Droid 1 and now Droid X always have 50% or more of there battery tied to display. My Droid X is typically much higher than 50% as matter of fact mine is 72%. With most typically batter drains turned off I got 20 hours or so on my Droid X. That is because I listen to music and FM radio 2 hours a day.

danwanna

Jan 3, 2006
It is also a sign that you don't have any other apps that are eating a lot of battery. My D1 and now my D2 both look like that.

The only time my D1 was different was when I:

a) Installed an app that was poorly written and consumed a lot of battery life.
b) Spent most of the day with the screen off but music playing (MP3 or Pandora)
c) Had a horrible signal so the Radio took up a much larger percentage than normal looking for a signal

malvoc

May 28, 2010

how did you get such good battery life on your droid 2? please share your secrets.

goliathvt

Dec 30, 2008
Blacksburg
I get somewhere between 30-40 hours of battery life and that's with running Pandora or listening to a podcast for at least 45 mins over 3G every work day (I walk during lunch for exercise).

- I'm rooted.

- I've set my backlight to 10%.

- I've renamed the following apps (adding .bak) so they never run:

AdService.apk.bak
amazonmp3_1.8.11_signed_zipaligned.apk.bak
Blockbuster.apk.bak
CityID.apk.bak
DLNA.apk.bak
DlnaSystemService.apk.bak
FriendFeed.apk.bak
HomeSyncWizard.apk.bak
Mynet.apk.bak

- I set weather to update only every 6 hours.

- I check Twitter and Facebook every now and then but I have them set to only update when they run.

- I don't run any widgets that constantly update (like twitter, weather, etc.)

- I download RSS feeds and podcasts whenever I'm charging the phone (though I usually have more than enough battery to handle a daily feed update and download over 3G without any problem)

- I manually enable and disable GPS and WiFi since they have a tendency to look for signals for no reason. It only takes a second or two to connect to known hotspots or get my location so it's no biggie to me to do that by hand.

- I back up my data at 2am or so daily so there's a good chance that every other backup is done while charging.

eddysamson

Aug 20, 2010
I get somewhere between 30-40 hours of battery life and that's with running Pandora or listening to a podcast for at least 45 mins over 3G every work day (I walk during lunch for exercise).

- I'm rooted.

- I've set my backlight to 10%.

- I've renamed the following apps (adding .bak) so they never run:

AdService.apk.bak
amazonmp3_1.8.11_signed_zipaligned.apk.bak
Blockbuster.apk.bak
CityID.apk.bak
DLNA.apk.bak
DlnaSystemService.apk.bak
FriendFeed.apk.bak
HomeSyncWizard.apk.bak
Mynet.apk.bak

- I set weather to update only every 6 hours.

- I check Twitter and Facebook every now and then but I have them set to only update when they run.

- I don't run any widgets that constantly update (like twitter, weather, etc.)

- I download RSS feeds and podcasts whenever I'm charging the phone (though I usually have more than enough battery to handle a daily feed update and download over 3G without any problem)

- I manually enable and disable GPS and WiFi since they have a tendency to look for signals for no reason. It only takes a second or two to connect to known hotspots or get my location so it's no biggie to me to do that by hand.

- I back up my data at 2am or so daily so there's a good chance that every other backup is done while charging.

Just barely rooted my Droid 2. I dont really have much of an idea of what to do with it now, though. How do I go about renaming those apps? I've always wanted to get rid of that crap.

goliathvt

Dec 30, 2008
Blacksburg
Snag Root Explorer or some other root-permission-enabled file explorer from the market for a few bucks or use adb if you're familiar with it and want a free way to manipulate files on the /system partition.

I'll assume you go with an app like Root Explorer (well worth it, in my mind).

Open Root Explorer and hop into the /system/app directory. Click the "Mount R/W" button so that the /system partition is writable.

Find any .apks you do not want and long-press on the file until you get a menu. Choose "Rename" and either rename the .apk to .bak or just add .bak to the filename. As long as the file extension no longer reads ".apk", it won't be a program the phone can launch.

Note: Be careful about renaming some of the Blur .apks, as a few still seem to be required for normal phone function. Check other threads on "removing bloat" for some tips and more detailed warnings.

I also highly recommend renaming files instead of deleting them because it provides some options if something ever goes awry or you simply want to re-enable something you removed during the rename process. The multitude of "Oops I deleted somethingImportant.apk! Anyone have it?" threads offer their own words of caution, I'd say. :)

Good luck!