[Q] Phone wont boot, cant turn off

Search This thread

Edward.deso

Oct 9, 2012
Glens Falls
Hello. I just tried flashing my first custom kernel on my xperia z ultra and now it turns on and gets to the black screen with sony on int and it wont go past that, i also cant turn it off using the power button. im really hoping i havent ruined my phone. any ideas?

MusterMaxMueller

Mar 12, 2014
stay calm its not that easy to completly brick your z ultra :)

• search for fastboot and a guide for flashing kernel.

• use e.g. the boot.img from your current rom.

• enter recovery and flash a rom again!

there are a lot of good step by step guides so its easy.

Reactions: Edward.deso

Edward.deso

Oct 9, 2012
Glens Falls
more infoand another question.

The power button plus volume up trick didnt work, had to let the battery drain out. and i am currently running running pacman 4.4.2. rom and the kernel i flashed was revolutionkernel. after some more reading which i should have done earlier im pretty sure that that kernel was meant for aosp and c11 based roms. i have a different kernel, slimkat this time, i want to flash it and give it a shot but this downloaded as a .zip. how do i do this? the other one was just a .img and that was it. im sorry if these are dumb questions. ive been rooting and putting custom roms on phones for a while but im new to kernels.

MusterMaxMueller

Mar 12, 2014
red button to power off

you also have a tiny red button to power off the device if you open the lash for the sd card.

flash the same way as you flash a rom.

edit:
i dont think slimkat kernel will work but you never try you never know :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Edward.deso

Edward.deso

Oct 9, 2012
Glens Falls
boot.img?

to get back to a working state flash the boot.img that was in the zip for the ROM you are on

where do i find the boot.img of the current rom. ?
so far ive tried two other roms, slimkat, and codename lungo. with three different kernels, revolution, pimped kernel, and slimkat kernel. the farthest i got was to get my phone to boot up but it keeps showing an error msg saying android system has stopped, and i cant get past that. I want the codename lungo rom to work so what kernel do i need to run with that? or is there a way to find the boot.img of that rom?

where do i find the boot.img of the current rom. ?
so far ive tried two other roms, slimkat, and codename lungo. with three different kernels, revolution, pimped kernel, and slimkat kernel. the farthest i got was to get my phone to boot up but it keeps showing an error msg saying android system has stopped, and i cant get past that. I want the codename lungo rom to work so what kernel do i need to run with that? or is there a way to find the boot.img of that rom?

You need to extract the boot.img that's in the Lungo Rom zip file. Fastboot it using Flashtool or adb push it. Flashtool will be the easiest way. Once you get that on there try to enter recovery BEFORE the Rom boots from power on. If you can't enter recovery then that Rom doesn't have recovery built in. In that case you'll need to get it from somewhere. The Carbon Rom has a boot.img with working dual recovery and you should be able to use that one to boot Lungo as they are all CM based Roms.

Also when stuck with the PHONE ON and need it turned OFF. Press and Hold Volume Up + Power Button until the phone vibrates 3 times. Make sure it's not plugged in or it'll boot again. If holding those buttons doesn't turn it off, you're doing it wrong because it works without fail. Little something Sony put in there. If all else fails, open the cover of the SDCARD/SIMCARD sport and there should be a small Red Button.

Good luck.:rolleyes:

blueether

Jan 21, 2011
Te Awamutu, New Zealand
Also note that all the roms flash their own kernel when you 9nstall them, use that first, then play when you knpw that thingsmwork. It sounds like you are trying to do too much for your current understanding.

Sent from CarbonROM on my Z-Ultra

Edward.deso

Oct 9, 2012
Glens Falls
Thanks for the help.

I managed to get it working again. albeit on the original pacman rom and kernel. I tried to do a restore back to stock and it cant restore data it says, i also cant do a backup it says the same thing. no matter. its working again and thats all i needed. thank you guys for the help.

tdamocles

Aug 11, 2009
I just had a similar problem,,,I tried to restore to the first nandroid (after rooting 757) but it stops at the Sony logo. If I do 2 restores in a row it than works....weird?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    stay calm its not that easy to completly brick your z ultra :)

• search for fastboot and a guide for flashing kernel.

• use e.g. the boot.img from your current rom.

• enter recovery and flash a rom again!

there are a lot of good step by step guides so its easy.
    red button to power off

you also have a tiny red button to power off the device if you open the lash for the sd card.

flash the same way as you flash a rom.

edit:
    i dont think slimkat kernel will work but you never try you never know :)