[ CM 11 EMMC <--> SDCARD SWITCHEROO] Modified uRamDisk

Search This thread

sagirfahmid3

Jul 20, 2013
Hi everyone, I modified the stock uRamDisk for CM11 by decompressing it, editing the fstab.encore.rc file, and switching up the part with sdcard0 and sdcard1.
P.S. I removed the zram (compressed RAM) option in the fstab because the Nook Color has a crappy enough CPU as is, so it wont help with zram. Use a swap partition on SDcard if needed.
P.S.2. This ramdisk is from the most recent nightly build (Jan 11, 2015). It may or may not work with older CM11 builds.
It's attached here. It wont let me upload the file as is, so I renamed it to uRamDisk.7z; rename it back to uRamDisk. After that, follow these steps:

0. MAKE A BACKUP OF THE /boot PARTITION IN YOUR RECOVERY JUST IN CASE. If anything happens, restore the /boot partition's backup.

1. Mount /boot partition at /root (it's an unused mountpoint in Android)
adb root && adb shell
# mount -t vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /root
2. Change directory to /root, rename the original ramdisk
# cd /root && mv uRamDisk uRamdisk.orig
3. Copy over the new ramdisk
adb push uRamDisk /root/
4. Reboot and profit
The internal sdcard will now be seen as external. You no longer need to have an SD card inside to have many apps like Kodi (XBMC), Firefox, etc, asking for external SD.
If it doesn't work for you for some reason, remount the /boot partition again, and copy over the original uRamDisk ( # cp -f uRamDisk.orig uRamDisk ).

I used parts of this script to figure out how to mod the ramdisk: https://gist.github.com/aperezdc/6533546

Attachments

• uRamDisk.7z
    406.4 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

omars44

Jan 26, 2015
hi,could you compile a flasheable zip file?because many people like me dont know how to use adb or you can explain these steps a bit better, other thing is that i cant change the name to uramdisk(i cant delete .7z) windows 7 and winrar wont let me

btw good work!!

Last edited:

sagirfahmid3

Jul 20, 2013
hi,could you compile a flasheable zip file?because many people like me dont know how to use adb or you can explain these steps a bit better, other thing is that i cant change the name to uramdisk(i cant delete .7z) windows 7 and winrar wont let me

btw good work!!

1. Do you have adb installed for Windows? If not, do that first.
2. I don't know how to make a flashable zip. Someone else might. Anyone wanna do that? I don't have time atm since college started. Sorry for the late reply.
3. The instructions are about as simple as they get. You should study the "mount," "cp," and "mv" commands. They are, respectively, for mounting partitions, copying files/folders, and moving/renaming files/folders.
4. You can't rename the file because by default, Windows doesn't show file types' endings (like .exe, .zip, .rar, etc). You need to enable that. Google it.