[REPAIR HARD BRICK] Test Point For Xperia Z1 Compact

Search This thread

munjeni

Jun 2, 2011
Hi! Yesterday I done stupid thing to my phone which hard bricked my phone :( Played with GPT gdisk, restored wrong gpt backup which killed my device, phone was dead after reboot, had no fastboot, had no bootloader, only had led blinking red-green . But good news I have repaired my phone sucesfully ! Was a bit lucky since I saved my GPT backup so after unbricking I restored my GPT, than restored TA, rebooted and flashed everything normaly. Device finaly booted :highfive: :D

WARNING TO ALL:
1. DO NOT PLAY WITH FDISK OR GDISK IF YOU NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING SINCE YOUR DEVICE WILL BE HARD BRICKED !!! If you mess your gpt table or change them your device can not be flashed using pc companion or flashtool!!! If you brick gpt table than you will notice hard brick, so my segestion is: do not be stupid like me!!! I was very stupid yesterday and done very bad thing to my new phone using these tools.
2. DO NOT PLAY WITH TRYING TO ENTER YOU PHONE INTO DIAG OR ENGINERING MODE IF YOU HAVE NO RIGHT QCOM USB DRIVERS, IT WILL HARD BRICK YOUR PHONE
3. NEVER TOUCH YOU TA PARTITION SINCE YOU WILL NOT BE ABBLE TO UNBRICK YOU PHONE IN ANY WAY!!!
If trim area is damaged you can try this tool -> http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=56571770&postcount=53 to repair your TA partition if possible ;)

Searched for about an hour for pins on my phone and finaly found test point pins, hope picture will save your time, nerve and your device! Use my tool to unbrick you phone, enjoy!

Download Z1C_hard_brick_repair.exe :
- https://mega.co.nz/#!8FBQkbqK!GK2gQgq1li5Ez4lzijMMMUTkuOz0fowUHB1n1NItEaY

Attachments

• IMG_1177.jpg
    IMG_1177.jpg
    513.8 KB · Views: 24,051
Last edited:

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
Which part is the testpoint @munjeni ? Is it the top one or the one below? Just curious what are you doing with GPT partition? lol!

Also since you opened your Z1C already... Mind if I ask but is there any trigger button or something on the hooks of the flaps? Can't really tell how the phone detects the flap cause on my device it keeps on popping up even when flaps are closed. I think I have some broken flap sensor or something lol!

Hi! Yesterday I done stupid thing to my phone which hard bricked my phone :( Played with GPT gdisk, restored wrong gpt backup which killed my device, phone was dead after reboot, had no fastboot, had no bootloader, only had led blinking red-green . But good news I have repaired my phone sucesfully ! Was a bit lucky since I saved my GPT backup so after unbricking I restored my GPT, than restored TA, rebooted and flashed everything normaly. Device finaly booted :highfive: :D

WARNING TO ALL:
1. DO NOT PLAY WITH FDISK OR GDISK IF YOU NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING SINCE YOUR DEVICE WILL BE HARD BRICKED !!! If you mess your gpt table or change them your device can not be flashed using pc companion or flashtool!!! If you brick gpt table than you will notice hard brick, so my segestion is: do not be stupid like me!!! I was very stupid yesterday and done very bad thing to my new phone using these tools.

Searched for about an hour for pins on my phone and finaly found test point pins, hope picture will save your time, nerve and your device! I will not write full tutorial, but if some one need help than please ask here I will help you! ENJOY!

Last edited:

munjeni

Jun 2, 2011
Which part is the testpoint @munjeni ? Is it the top one or the one below? Just curious what are you doing with GPT partition? lol!

Also since you opened your Z1C already... Mind if I ask but is there any trigger button or something on the hooks of the flaps? Can't really tell how the phone detects the flap cause on my device it keeps on popping up even when flaps are closed. I think I have some broken flap sensor or something lol!

Test point is "right pin", "left pin" is gnd. To get into emergency flashmode you need to connect gnd with testpoint.

What I done? I tried to resize userdata + create vfat on remaining free space :eek: so after unsucesfull atempt I restored wrong gpt backup :( thats killed my phone.

About flap... I captured only one picture and I no looked into hook on the flaps, my phone is asembled, hope I will not open them again :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Lasantha

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
Ahh I see thanks for this valuable info! Yeah I know about the gnd thing I usually make the usb port the ground when I do testpoint in the past haha! Hopefully though this info won't come in handy to me in the near future! :p Are you trying to split userdata so you're able to create a mountable internal storage? Hmm I'm not sure if thats possible just by splitting userdata partition though... I think bootloader checks for the hex size and partition list of the partitions. Altering it might hard brick your device. You would have to reverse engineer the bootloader first before you'll be able to alter partitions in mmcblk0 I think.

Test point is "right pin", "left pin" is gnd. To get into emergency flashmode you need to connect gnd with testpoint.

What I done? I tried to resize userdata + create vfat on remaining free space :eek: so after unsucesfull atempt I restored wrong gpt backup :( thats killed my phone.

About flap... I captured only one picture and I no looked into hook on the flaps, my phone is asembled, hope I will not open them again :D

munjeni

Jun 2, 2011
Ahh I see thanks for this valuable info! Yeah I know about the gnd thing I usually make the usb port the ground when I do testpoint in the past haha! Hopefully though this info won't come in handy to me in the near future! :p Are you trying to split userdata so you're able to create a mountable internal storage? Hmm I'm not sure if thats possible just by splitting userdata partition though... I think bootloader checks for the hex size and partition list of the partitions. Altering it might hard brick your device. You would have to reverse engineer the bootloader first before you'll be able to alter partitions in mmcblk0 I think.

On Xperia Go it was possible without needs for patching bootloader, so I thinked its possible on Z1C but I was fataly wrong. On X-Go I have resized system,cache,userdata and increased internal storage with sucess. You are right about Z1C since there is a check by bootloader, and allso there is check by bootloader about gpt! So if your gpt is not original than your phone will have fastboot and s1boot but you will not be abble to flash since you will get internal error message by flasher (tried sony pc companion, tried sony flasher, tried s1tool, tried flashtool and no one was abble to flash, only had a luck after restoring my gpt backup which I had saved)! So guys do not touch partitions!

Last edited:

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
As far as I know this bootloader security thing already exist on Xperia 2011 line so really weird that Xperia Go doesn't have such. I actually did what you have done on Z1C before on the Xperia Pro since that device has a large system partition and no userdata partition. Thankfully though I noticed the bootloader security before doing anything. It's a little bit possible to hex edit the bootloader to adjust the partition size but I didn't pursue it :p Don't have guts :D

On Xperia Go it was possible without needs for patching bootloader, so I thinked its possible on Z1C but I was fataly wrong. On X-Go I have resized system,cache,userdata and increased internal storage with sucess. You are right about Z1C since there is a check by bootloader, and allso there is check by bootloader about gpt! So if your gpt is not original than your phone will have fastboot and s1boot but you will not be abble to flash since you will get internal error message by flasher (tried sony pc companion, tried sony flasher, tried s1tool, tried flashtool and no one was abble to flash, only had a luck after restoring my gpt backup which I had saved)! So guys do not touch partitions!

escoda

Jul 12, 2008
good to hear that i restored wrong TA partition and had the same problem

how u restored ur TA Files ???

my device is Z1 and i know where is the testpoint

munjeni

Jun 2, 2011
good to hear that i restored wrong TA partition and had the same problem

how u restored ur TA Files ???

my device is Z1 and i know where is the testpoint
Huh, I don't know how you can restore TA back to phone! I had broken gpt disk and not TA! Since your TA is broken probably you will need jtag since testpoint method can not restore TA, I don't have jtag pinouts so I can not help you, sorry!

Last edited:

escoda

Jul 12, 2008
Huh, I don't know how you can restore TA back to phone! I had broken gpt disk and not TA! Since your TA is broken probably you will need jtag since testpoint method can not restore TA, I don't have jtag pinouts so I can not help you, sorry!

is there any way to restore TA with testpoint ???

munjeni

Jun 2, 2011
is there any way to restore TA with testpoint ???

Maybe if you have flashtool based TA_backup.ta so maybe you can inject that into fota-reset.ta for example. If you have no these backup we can try to generate them based on your raw ta backup, I think thats not hard generating them!

Last edited:

livein

May 23, 2014

WARNING TO ALL:

Searched for about an hour for pins on my phone and finaly found test point pins, hope picture will save your time, nerve and your device! I will not write full tutorial, but if some one need help than please ask here I will help you! ENJOY!

Whats is gpt gdisk

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
If you're not aware about it then don't even bother asking for it cause I'm pretty sure you won't have any proper use of it :p Regardless it's a partition on your phone.

Reactions: munjeni

Rekoil

May 17, 2008
Göteborg
www.idroidproject.org
If you're not aware about it then don't even bother asking for it cause I'm pretty sure you won't have any proper use of it :p Regardless it's a partition on your phone.

Yeah because it's impossible to learn about new things and everyone knows that those who have any use for it are all born with intimate knowledge about the filesystem on the Xperia Z1 Compact... I'm a curious guy, and believe me I'm quite technical.

So "partition-image.sin" is just a GPT partition map?

Reactions: ondrejvaroscak

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
Yeah because it's impossible to learn about new things and everyone knows that those who have any use for it are all born with intimate knowledge about the filesystem on the Xperia Z1 Compact... I'm a curious guy, and believe me I'm quite technical.

So "partition-image.sin" is just a GPT partition map?

Actually GPT partition is so basic that I would assume people without that much knowledge should not touch that part of the phone. :) I once tried giving knowledge to a basic user here in xda that he decided to do it on his phone and permanently brick it then ended up blaming me lol!

Anyways no! GPT is the same as MBR(Master boot record) on windows OS. GPT means GUID Partition Table which stores the details of the partitions in the device. It is the data which tells the hardware for example that partition 1 = userdata, partition 2 = system, partition 3 = cache and so on.

To make it plain and simple don't use fdisk on mmcblk0 :) Cause there's another security check in the phone that verifies the partition table.

Reactions: munjeni

coolkoushik07

Oct 26, 2009
Kolkata
Actually GPT partition is so basic that I would assume people without that much knowledge should not touch that part of the phone. :) I once tried giving knowledge to a basic user here in xda that he decided to do it on his phone and permanently brick it then ended up blaming me lol!

Anyways no! GPT is the same as MBR(Master boot record) on windows OS. GPT means GUID Partition Table which stores the details of the partitions in the device. It is the data which tells the hardware for example that partition 1 = userdata, partition 2 = system, partition 3 = cache and so on.

To make it plain and simple don't use fdisk on mmcblk0 :) Cause there's another security check in the phone that verifies the partition table.

Man next time please quote the user whom u r replying.. Ur text was confusing and I thought u have replied to the peeson who have asked about ta backup using flashtool.. Anyway thank for ur explanation about gpt..

Sent from my Xperia Z1 Compact (D5503)

Last edited:

Rekoil

May 17, 2008
Göteborg
www.idroidproject.org

I know what GPT and MBR are, I'm just wondering how you're interacting with the map on mmcblk0. Are you running gdisk on the phone itself, or are you just dd'ing the first blocks of mmcblk0, modifying them on the computer and writing them back?

Also, this whole thing about protecting noob users I don't buy. Give ample warning and if they break their phones then tough ****, nobody learns anything if we're all being treated like a piece of glass.

Man next time please quote the user whom u r replying.. Ur text was confusing and I thought u have replied to the peeson who have asked about ta backup using flashtool.. Anyway thank for ur explanation about gpt..

Sent from my Xperia Z1 Compact (D5503)

I did ask that initially, haven't had time to check it out myself so an answer to that would be appreciated as well.

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
I know what GPT and MBR are, I'm just wondering how you're interacting with the map on mmcblk0. Are you running gdisk on the phone itself, or are you just dd'ing the first blocks of mmcblk0, modifying them on the computer and writing them back?

Also, this whole thing about protecting noob users I don't buy. Give ample warning and if they break their phones then tough ****, nobody learns anything if we're all being treated like a piece of glass.

I did ask that initially, haven't had time to check it out myself so an answer to that would be appreciated as well.

"dd" command on linux won't alter the partition table though... Like you can't dd a 2gb dump into a 1gb partition it would mess up the content of the dump cause allocated data on a disk is scattered throughout random blocks. And yes the only way to alter it is thru gdisk, gparted, fdisk,fsdisk or there might be some other programs other than I mentioned.

Rekoil

May 17, 2008
Göteborg
www.idroidproject.org
"dd" command on linux won't alter the partition table though... Like you can't dd a 2gb dump into a 1gb partition it would mess up the content of the dump cause allocated data on a disk is scattered throughout random blocks. And yes the only way to alter it is thru gdisk, gparted, fdisk,fsdisk or there might be some other programs other than I mentioned.

No but if you run "dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=gpt.img count=10" you'll get the first 10 blocks of mmcblk0, which should contain the partition map. That's what I was referring to. Or are you simply running gdisk on the phone itself?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

WARNING TO ALL:
    2. DO NOT PLAY WITH TRYING TO ENTER YOU PHONE INTO DIAG OR ENGINERING MODE IF YOU HAVE NO RIGHT QCOM USB DRIVERS, IT WILL HARD BRICK YOUR PHONE
    3. NEVER TOUCH YOU TA PARTITION SINCE YOU WILL NOT BE ABBLE TO UNBRICK YOU PHONE IN ANY WAY!!!
    If trim area is damaged you can try this tool -> http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=56571770&postcount=53 to repair your TA partition if possible ;)

Searched for about an hour for pins on my phone and finaly found test point pins, hope picture will save your time, nerve and your device! Use my tool to unbrick you phone, enjoy!

Download Z1C_hard_brick_repair.exe :
    - https://mega.co.nz/#!8FBQkbqK!GK2gQgq1li5Ez4lzijMMMUTkuOz0fowUHB1n1NItEaY
    I have create a tool for unbricking, you can download from the first post!
    Tool for unbricking TA partition is done, read this -> http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=56571705&postcount=314, enjoy!
    I have found some threads about bricked trim area (TA) ... it is possible to restore ta backup(of course if you have original ta backup)! I will make tool soon! ;)
    Probably he bricked his trim area? If that is true than probably his phone will remain bricked! :( Only way (not tested) to unbrick (first thing he need before full unbrick) his trim area is to make ftf file which will contain ta.img, but ta.img can not be DD method backup (mean ta backuped by trim area partition dump maded by dd command), he must have ta.img maded by flash tool since only flash tool can make these ta.img speciific format! If he have no ta.img maded by flash tool than probably hi must convert his ta backup to these specific format, I can not help in that since never converted that and have no idea how to convert that, he must analyse by self. Bricking trim area is very dangerous and probably phone get totaly bricked without a way for unbricking (I never done that so I can not confirm for sure these thing)! His errors in s1tool flashing procedure probably coming up with reason (trim area brick)?