New firmware update for aftv!!

Search This thread

swakdog

Nov 1, 2011
Decided I wanted the update, so I unblocked updates in my router and when I checked for the update it was available (also the remote update). Both installed without issues and also rooted again without any issues. Thanks to those who post here,

losservatore

Jul 17, 2014
The new firmware 51.1.1.0_user_511070220 works a lot better with xbmc than the previous firmware ,no stuttering on 1080p videos ,really smooth ,the only issue is that the audio is a little bit out of sync but you go to the audio offset settings set it till the audio is properly sync then set it as default for all videos and you are good to go.

By the way I'm using xbmc 13.1 Gotham.

Last edited:

pvtjoker42

Dec 12, 2008
The new firmware 51.1.1.0_user_511070220 works a lot better with xbmc than the previous firmware ,no stuttering on 1080p videos ,really smooth ,the only issue is that the audio is a little bit out of sync but you go to the audio offset settings set it till the audio is properly sync then set it as default for all videos and you are good to go.

By the way I'm using xbmc 13.1 Gotham.

Anyone else confirm a similar performance increase for xbmc with latest updates? Debating if it's worth the time to update and roll the dice to see if it clears up some issues.

losservatore

Jul 17, 2014
Anyone else confirm a similar performance increase for xbmc with latest updates? Debating if it's worth the time to update and roll the dice to see if it clears up some issues.

I know I'm new here ,the update was accidentally, I did a factory reset on my router and forgot to put the links to block the updates ,the next day I noticed that were some changes on the interface.I look for the firmware version and it did change ,I got freak out but I after I run xbmc I noticed an improvement in performance, you don't have to take my word but you will read more posts like this one.

Lito

Last edited:

skeptic_always

May 21, 2014
The most important firmware update Amazon could push, IMHO, would be to enable USB storage.

Yes, I know I could root my box and side-load an apk for that, but I don't want to get caught up in a cat and mouse game over rooting devices. Plus the hassle of re-rooting after every update, potential to break things when USB support is firmware updated away, feel like I need to block future updates/improvements, etc.

Even if it means waiting for FireTV 2.0, I will not buy another FireTV until there is a legit method for enough storage for multiple large games. It's too bad really. I'd like to buy one for my kids for their movie/gaming TV, but after installing just a handful of games I had to uninstall one of the big ones just to get rid of the critically low on storage message that kept popping up.

rontonomo

Mar 27, 2008
The most important firmware update Amazon could push, IMHO, would be to enable USB storage.

Yes, I know I could root my box and side-load an apk for that, but I don't want to get caught up in a cat and mouse game over rooting devices. Plus the hassle of re-rooting after every update, potential to break things when USB support is firmware updated away, feel like I need to block future updates/improvements, etc.

Even if it means waiting for FireTV 2.0, I will not buy another FireTV until there is a legit method for enough storage for multiple large games. It's too bad really. I'd like to buy one for my kids for their movie/gaming TV, but after installing just a handful of games I had to uninstall one of the big ones just to get rid of the critically low on storage message that kept popping up.

seriously in the time it took you to post this you could have rooted and be ready to go

ahoslc

Mar 30, 2010
salt lake city

Root takes all of 30 seconds and like 2 clicks

skeptic_always

May 21, 2014
Root takes all of 30 seconds and like 2 clicks

It's not about rooting today, it's what may happen down the road. For all we know, next Tuesday a new firmware may roll out that greatly improves functionality while killing all known methods to root the device. Or, Amazon might not care and never close the existing root exploit. I may root my FireTV to let my kids install more games, but I stand by my decision not to buy another one until there is some official way to use significantly more storage.

losservatore

Jul 17, 2014
For those that probably do not believe because I'm new with few posts ,I'm a avsforum member with almost 3,000 posts ,just look for the same username ,I can't post a link because I'm new here.

Have a great day...

Lito.

~Craig~

Jun 23, 2014
Ok so I am on the the firmware prior to this with elmerohueso launcher installed and updates blocked,

If I want to update do I just unblock the updates or should I also disable the custom xbmc launcher first?
I assume I would do this by disabling rbox's Xposed module?

Thanks

Spykez0129

Jun 1, 2010
I don't even see the need to block any updates. I got 1 that unrooted me, just ran towel root again and I was back in the game.

dbdoshi

Jul 23, 2014
LOL, good advice! I personally think that FTV will shut down root before they shut down the ability to side load, because thats the only way that legitimate developers can develop, debug and push them to FTV and Amazon is not about to kill that. XBMC is a much lesser threat than root file access in ES app or using USB storage with FTV.

ILLESTNOIZE

Jul 7, 2014
New Fire TV update improves XBMC

LOL, good advice! I personally think that FTV will shut down root before they shut down the ability to side load, because thats the only way that legitimate developers can develop, debug and push them to FTV and Amazon is not about to kill that. XBMC is a much lesser threat than root file access in ES app or using USB storage with FTV.

Hi,

I was able to update to the "official" Amazon update and I do have to say I have noticed improvements with XBMC. Seems to be faster not laggy when scrolling and looking through content with Fire tv remote. Maybe the remote update goes very well with the official update of the Fire TV. As far as streaming I havent seen any buffering yet. However this is all dependent on your internet speed and the source of the content. 9 times out of 10 it is the source. I will continue to test and report back. Two things I did want to share with the community...

First...

You can install any APK from any source including Drop box and other android markets. You can even install from a website when surfing.
There is a tweak that needs to be performed with one of the "bueller" system apks with assistance from the Settings.apk that can be installed which would allow you to check the "unknown sources" box and with the above mentioned tweak you can install any apk.

Secondly...
I am still experiencing blank screen and green artifacts at top of the screen while in the middle of watching a movie. This typically happens after the first few minutes or so. I have noticed the majority of the time the source is Moviereel. Other than that Im using Elmers XBMC launcher and it works great!! Hoping for a better XBMC apk which would eliminate the blank screen and green artifacts (this does happen all the time with every link). I would also like one that allows us to stream large Remux/DTS HD audio files from UPNP. I belive VIDON who is a supporter of XBMC is working on such a XBMC apk Vidon XBMC for Fire tv. Coming soon also for Android TV. Be on the look out!

Last edited:

jae60up

Sep 25, 2014
Aftv update

My amazon fire tv updated with out me knowing now I
No longer have root access and my xbmc is acting up movie stop in the middle
Or I'm just booted out to the amazon home screen. Anyone else having these problems or
Has a solution?

z111

Sep 25, 2014
root

My amazon fire tv updated with out me knowing now I
No longer have root access and my xbmc is acting up movie stop in the middle
Or I'm just booted out to the amazon home screen. Anyone else having these problems or
Has a solution?

my root is still working, i just checked it right now. im on the last firmware that is root able and i have disabled update on the fire tv. since the modem block was not working for me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Got it! I've been pumping my Fire TV traffic through Wireshark AND dumping logcat in real time all morning.

Software Update URL is: http://amzdigitaldownloads.edgesuit...ueller-ota-51.1.1.0_user_511069920-signed.bin

The file gets downloaded directly to /cache, so you could try putting it there and restarting to see if that triggers it to install.
    I tried changing it in the default.prop in the recovery, and dd'd it back, but it didn't boot the recovery. I guess the unpack/repack tools I used don't actually work correctly. But at least I was able to dd back the original recovery and that still works :)

know of any tools that actually work to decompile the recovery.img and then rebuild the image correctly?

Not sure if the locked bootloader allows unsigned recovery images. But any android kernel unpack/pack script should do it. I've never tried repacking a kernel/recovery before.

EDIT: So I just tried repacking it myself and I got nothing.

EDIT2: Well that was interesting. If I unpack the recovery image and repack it without changing anything in the ramdisk, it works. So I'm going to have to experiment a little.

I am using bootimg_tools_7.8.13.zip and to repack I am using the command:

Code:
    mkbootimg --kernel recovery/zImage --ramdisk recovery/ramdisk.cpio.gz --cmdline 'androidboot.hardware=qcom user_debug=31 msm_rtb.filter=0x3F ehci-hcd.park=3 maxcpus=2' --base 0x80200000 --pagesize 2048 --ramdiskaddr 0x82200000 -o recovery-new.img

EDIT3: Ok, so if I use the original ramdisk that was unpacked, it works. If I try to repack the extracted ramdisk it fails. I did notice my repacked ramdisk was a lot bigger, so I'm going to try to figure out what the differnece is.
    Mine updated. Here's the new stuff I notice.

A Prime Video tab has been added above movies. Sections include

recently added prime tv
    recently added prime movies
    recommended prime tv
    recommended prime movies
    hbo on prime instant video
    prime member exclusives
    top tv on prime
    top movies on prime
    kids tv on prime
    prime tv genres
    prime movie genres

Freetime has been added below video library. You have the ability to hide it if you're not interested.

Music has been added above photos. Gives you access to everything in your Cloud Player. Voice search works. Doesn't include Prime Music content. Every section has a shuffle all songs feature.

Settings. Display And Sounds has been moved to it's own section.
    Parental Controls has a 'create a freetime profile' thing added.
    Amazon Appstore settings has been added under Applications. You can turn on or off Automatic Updates and In-App Purchases
    Quiet time finally has an explanation 'Turn on to hide all application notifications'

And that seems to be it :good:
    do we know if amazon updated the AFTV bootloader?

I only saw in this thread that root is possible in the new update, but not a single word about bootloader. We know that there is a exploit out there to unlock AFTV bootloader, so i think that until we have confirmation that amazon didn't patch recovery i suggest not update the box...
    Got it! I've been pumping my Fire TV traffic through Wireshark AND dumping logcat in real time all morning.

Software Update URL is: http://amzdigitaldownloads.edgesuit...ueller-ota-51.1.1.0_user_511069920-signed.bin

The file gets downloaded directly to /cache, so you could try putting it there and restarting to see if that triggers it to install.

I think the best way to try to manually update it would be to put the download in /cache/ then adb reboot recovery. The recovery only seems to look for an update file at /cache, so that will probably manually update it.

edit: I'm not going to try it just yet, since I'm not sure if I want to update just yet. But I may try this with the older OTA and see if it allows us to flash back to older builds as well.
    edit2: I didn't work for me with the first OTA (seeing if I could downgrade). recovery said update was not successful. One thing to note, if you chmod 777 cache, upon next reboot it will be reset back to stock permissions.