No SMS/MMS on Verizon

Search This thread

THUNDEROID

*SOLVED* (See my post #11)

Hello all,

I'm having trouble getting any text on my U12+. I've seen one other case on androidCentral forums but not much of any results. Figure i would chime in and see if anyone else figured this out.

Last edited:

Jarras

I had this issue as well. I had to go to a Verizon store and get a new sim card, which he activated in my old HTC 10 then put into the U12+. After that the tech suspended my sms service then reactivated and I was good to go. The only issue I have is that I can not receive MMS messages from any 3rd party app, so I am stuck using the stock one.

Icculus760

Jun 7, 2010
Call Verizon -- spent 3 minutes with a level 1 technician who re-provisioned the phone for sms & mms. All is working as expected (although the stock messaging system wouldn't send GIFs, but I downloaded Textra and it works fine).

Unmoses

Apr 1, 2015
Call Verizon -- spent 3 minutes with a level 1 technician who re-provisioned the phone for sms & mms. All is working as expected (although the stock messaging system wouldn't send GIFs, but I downloaded Textra and it works fine).
Are you able to receive mms in Textra? I can send mms and sms in any app, but can only receive mms pictures in Verizon messages

Sent from my HTC U12+ using Tapatalk

Icculus760

Jun 7, 2010
Are you able to receive mms in Textra? I can send mms and sms in any app, but can only receive mms pictures in Verizon messages

Soooooooo, it turns out there's an MMS bug with Textra which hasn't been fixed yet. I tried all the suggested steps (clean install, change MMS behavior, modify APN settings, etc) and MMS doesn't work with Textra. I emailed the developers and we'll see what happens.

I then downloaded Pulse and everything works as expected with that app. Not sure about any other third party messaging apps right now.

Jarras

Soooooooo, it turns out there's an MMS bug with Textra which hasn't been fixed yet. I tried all the suggested steps (clean install, change MMS behavior, modify APN settings, etc) and MMS doesn't work with Textra. I emailed the developers and we'll see what happens.

I then downloaded Pulse and everything works as expected with that app. Not sure about any other third party messaging apps right now.

I emailed textra support over the weekend and after running through all the settings, they had me install android messages and that did not work with MMS as well. I tried with a few other 3rd party apps and they came to the conclusion that it is an android Oreo bug and they can't do anything to fix it.

Unmoses

Apr 1, 2015
Interestingly enough mms receive works for me on Verizon messages and the default htc text app. It does not work (just receiving pics) in Textra or Android messages. This feels like an OS side issue? I was on the phone with tier 2 support when I first got it and they reprovisioned twice. Then said just use the apps that work lol

daillcyruz

Oct 8, 2007
Central Jersey
Hey Guys I have something similar I have a ticket opened with tier 2 but my problem is that I can't get incoming text messages. I can send from the stock app but just no incoming... I factory reset twice, reset network settings twice but still same problem. Also tried the android messages app and Verizon app.

THUNDEROID

Hey Guys I have something similar I have a ticket opened with tier 2 but my problem is that I can't get incoming text messages. I can send from the stock app but just no incoming... I factory reset twice, reset network settings twice but still same problem. Also tried the android messages app and Verizon app.

That's what my issue is. Can send but not receive. Haven't called yet. I'm going to in just a bit. Will report back.

THUNDEROID

Just got off the phone with Level 2 support. He tried reprogramming the sim card but that didn't work.

BUT he dug deep and did what he called a "CDMA list feature activation"

and then my text and mms started coming through in android messages. also voicemail. apparently that was also affected.

Hope that helps everybody. call support and let them know about this. skip the guess work.

Last edited:
Reactions: daillcyruz

daillcyruz

Oct 8, 2007
Central Jersey
Just got off the phone with Level 2 support. He tried reprogramming the sim card but that didn't work.

and then my text and mms started coming through in android messages. also voicemail. apparently that was also affected.

Hope that helps everybody. call support and let them know about this. skip the guess work.

OMG PRAISE the heavens. I called it in and told them exactly that and prest bingo works 100 %

Jarras

Have you tried using a 3rd part app for texting like Textra to see if it works? I can only use the default stock app but called to see if this would fix anything on my end. Level 2 support told me that the CDMA list feature was already activated and they could not remove it from my account as it was active.

THUNDEROID

Have you tried using a 3rd part app for texting like Textra to see if it works? I can only use the default stock app but called to see if this would fix anything on my end. Level 2 support told me that the CDMA list feature was already activated and they could not remove it from my account as it was active.

All I use is Android messager and occasionally switch to the stock messenger to send higher quality picture messages. So far everything I've done on Android messager is working.

Jarras

All I use is Android messager and occasionally switch to the stock messenger to send higher quality picture messages. So far everything I've done on Android messager is working.

Guess I'm stuck with stock, I sent myself a picture with android messenger that timed out and said "Message expired or not available". Very annoying whatever is going on.

Icculus760

Jun 7, 2010
Guess I'm stuck with stock, I sent myself a picture with android messenger that timed out and said "Message expired or not available". Very annoying whatever is going on.

Textra developer suggested turning off MMS Auto Retrieve in stock messaging app, rebooting, and trying to do MMS with Textra again. It didn't work for me, but can't hurt you to try it with android messenger. Even with Textra MMS timeout issues, Pulse is working perfectly for me. Maybe give that app a shot? YMMV ... just throwing out some ideas for you.

Jarras

Textra developer suggested turning off MMS Auto Retrieve in stock messaging app, rebooting, and trying to do MMS with Textra again. It didn't work for me, but can't hurt you to try it with android messenger. Even with Textra MMS timeout issues, Pulse is working perfectly for me. Maybe give that app a shot? YMMV ... just throwing out some ideas for you.

Just tried it, no go as well. Funny thing is, i froze the stock messages with titanium as well, but it thawed itself on reboot. I'll give Pulse a try, does it compress images sent?

Icculus760

Jun 7, 2010
Just tried it, no go as well. Funny thing is, i froze the stock messages with titanium as well, but it thawed itself on reboot. I'll give Pulse a try, does it compress images sent?

Not 100% sure about compression, but there didn't seem to be any loss in quality when I texted pictures or animated GIFs to myself

Reactions: Jarras

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I registered for this site just to provide an additional bit of info/update this. When I had these issues I told this to the various techs I talked to, to do a "CDMA list feature activation". None knew what I was talking about, Level 1 or 2. The level 2 I chatted with went through a whole list of things, none of which worked. After 2 hours, the last ditch attempt was to toggle this setting the tech had been idly commenting on the whole time, and what do you know? When asked, she said that under her list of settings was "Auto CMDA list(last?) roam", with an option to "Add HD Voice". All she had to do was toggle that box. That simple. Hope that may help clarify for any who are having this issue; perhaps the techs may not understand the "CDMA list feature activation" due to specificity/wording. Anyway, hope that helps.

Not 100% sure about compression, but there didn't seem to be any loss in quality when I texted pictures or animated GIFs to myself
    Worked for me. The guy kept saying it's not a compatible vzw device but he finally found the CDMA setting. He also mentioned vzw totally shutting down CDMA by year end. Not sure how true that is or if HTC will update to fix the issue then.
    Hi, I just requested some of the directions here from a tech support rep. Some of the confusion here is due to people mishearing the terminology. She said to request, "CDMA-less Device Provisioning" and "the feature number for Verizon is 83856". Whatever this all means, she did it, and my SMS and MMS is currently working through the stock app flawlessly. Hopefully this helps anyone who is still having issues.