[GUIDE][FAQ]Guide and FAQ for Everything OTA (Over-the-air Updates)

Search This thread

CNexus

May 17, 2012
~/android
Google Pixel 7

The purpose of this thread is hopefully to stop all the new threads being created because of the two very recent updates (MA6+MB1).

Frequently Asked Questions about OTAs

Question 1: Will I lose root if I update?
Answer 1: Yes, if the update goes through at all. See FAQ #3 and the [GUIDE] for more details.

Question 2: How do I update to XXX if I am rooted? Do I need to unroot and go back to stock?
Answer 2: No, this is a common misconception. There is absolutely NO need to unroot, or even to use apps that feature an "OTA survival mode". What you CAN do is head over to freeza's thread and flash the "firmware/modem/baseband" update zip in recovery, and then either wait for the dev of your ROM to update his base to the latest and greatest--most devs will do this one or two days after an update is released--or flash freeza's simple stock rooted rom (from the link above) of the latest update. You could also flag the stock rooted rom and then your preferred custom rom. This way you get the benefits of the latest update, but the features of your preferred rom.

Question 3: How do I get rid of the update notification?
Answer 2: Now, galaxys3man already beat me to the punch on this one, so I will quote his post as this is the only surefire way to get rid of the update notification, but there are a couple alternatives that may or may not work, should you decide to try them, see the [GUIDE] in the second post.

Question 4: I updated to XXX and now I can't find the PRL Write feature? Help!
Ok, so first head over to digiblur's PRL Write Enabler thread and download the one for your version and then just sideload the app. This feature has been disabled for whatever reason on builds ≥ MA4.

Remember: Root is lost, Root is lost, Root is lost, when you take the official update!

GUIDE: Disable the Update Notification

Surefire #1

This method requires editing the build.prop. For a comprehensive guide on how to do this, please head over to galaxys3man30s {Guide} How to edit build props for noobs.
Open your /system/build.prop file and change all instances of MB1 to MD4.

Inside /system/build.prop

ro.build.id=JZO54K.L710VPBMB1

ro.build.version.incremental=L710VPBMB1

ro.build.description=d2spr-user 4.1.2 JZO54 L710VPBMB1 release-keys

ro.build.fingerprint=samsung/d2spr/d2spr:4.1.2/JZO54K/L710VPBMB1:user/release-keys

ro.build.PDA=L710VPBMB1

ro.build.hidden_ver=L710VPBMB1

NOTE: Its not necessary to change ro.build.id if you don't want to, it will only change what you see under "About Phone" in Settings.

---------------------------------

Surefire #2 (thanks to @rocket321! )
Download the app from this thread

Using a root explorer, move the app downloaded above to /system/app and set the permissions to rw-r--r-- or 644.

Reboot into recovery, wipe cache and dalvik and all will be good.

Ok, as I said, the above are the only SUREFIRE way to get rid of it, but there are three other methods if you are willing to take the risk.

Alternative 1: Download the update (on a stock rom) and allow to fail when it tries to flash in recovery. There have been mixed reports as to the success of this method, some have had the update flash even while on a custom rom and custom recovery, while others couldn't get it to go through even on pure stock-rooted! The point is, even people with the exact same setup had different results, so try this one at your own risk.

Alternative 2: Disable the items in /system related to the update
I quote:
Solution:
Step 1. Delete the update located in /cache/fota/ and then click the update notification prompt to install it, it will instantly fail and the notification will disappear.
Step 2. Disable Otacerts.zip located in /etc/security by renaming it to otacerts.zip.bak
Step 3. Disable FotaClient.apk and FWUpgrade.apk by renaming with .bak extensions located in /system/app/
Step 4. Reboot

FWUpgrade.apk may be the only file you need to disable to prevent future notifications, but I disable all just in case.

Alternative 3: Freeze the Software Update app with a program like TitaniumBackup
1. Open the app
2. Scroll to the "All Apps" list, or similar
3. Select the app by either long-pressing on it or selecting its checkbox
4. Freeze it using the menu that either pops up, or is floating at the top or at the bottom
5. Profit

So those are all the ways I know of, but remember the golden rule: ALWAYS make a Nandroid (aka backup) of your current setup!
And, of course, be careful with whatever you decide to do!!

Disclaimer:
I take NO responsibility for your actions, but I would be glad to help if anything goes wrong.

To the S3 community: I appreciate, and welcome, any suggestions as to what I can add to this FAQ/Guide :)

Last edited:

acostaae90

Mar 31, 2013
against ilearhe

Okay, I know I am probably asking a dumb question, my S3 from Sprint has 4.1.1 and I rooted the clockworkmod way that it showed on this link
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1743780 and in the video. Basically I used Odin and then used the clockworkmod file. I am not sure but from what I read this is a clockworkmod recovery? But all I did was a basic root and everything looks as always (same as sprint no custom rom etc) I just wanted to root for the tethering. Now I just received an update and it keeps popping up as a system update (I am not sure if its to 4.1.2 or 4.2 but, If I run it, will it crash my phone, do I need to temp unroot? or unroot and then update? Is there a step by step on how to update to to the latest without brick after or is it safe to just upgrade... If anyone has any links on this forum that answers this?

(used Odin and clockwork mod to root...just to use free tethering.)

flastnoles11

Nov 16, 2011
Palm bay
OnePlus 9 Pro
Okay, I know I am probably asking a dumb question, my S3 from Sprint has 4.1.1 and I rooted the clockworkmod way that it showed on this link
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1743780 and in the video. Basically I used Odin and then used the clockworkmod file. I am not sure but from what I read this is a clockworkmod recovery? But all I did was a basic root and everything looks as always (same as sprint no custom rom etc) I just wanted to root for the tethering. Now I just received an update and it keeps popping up as a system update (I am not sure if its to 4.1.2 or 4.2 but, If I run it, will it crash my phone, do I need to temp unroot? or unroot and then update? Is there a step by step on how to update to to the latest without brick after or is it safe to just upgrade... If anyone has any links on this forum that answers this?

(used Odin and clockwork mod to root...just to use free tethering.)

Some have reported that you can use cwm (clockworkmod) to update, but if you have modified Amy sheen fumes or apps, it won't go through. If you want to update the easiest way is to just look for and flash the stock rooted Rom by freeza... you could also unroot, upgrade and reroot, but that's unnecessary... if you do choose to go that route, check the link in my Sig and you can find directions and all files for going back to stock

SPRINT GS3 FAQ

Reactions: aoebht

acostaae90

Mar 31, 2013
Some have reported that you can use cwm (clockworkmod) to update, but if you have modified Amy sheen fumes or apps, it won't go through. If you want to update the easiest way is to just look for and flash the stock rooted Rom by freeza... you could also unroot, upgrade and reroot, but that's unnecessary... if you do choose to go that route, check the link in my Sig and you can find directions and all files for going back to stock

SPRINT GS3 FAQ

Thanks for your prompt response! All I did was root my device and I do not think I have modified any apps (idk what you mean by sheen fumes) All I did was root so that I could use the WIFI Tether App. What do you recommend?

flastnoles11

Nov 16, 2011
Palm bay
OnePlus 9 Pro
Thanks for your prompt response! All I did was root my device and I do not think I have modified any apps (idk what you mean by sheen fumes) All I did was root so that I could use the WIFI Tether App. What do you recommend?

Lol, auto correct fail... supposed to say system apps... I recommend making a backup in cwm and trying to accept the update, if it fails (don't worry just reboot) download freeza stock rooted Rom and flash that... (you can find that Rom in my FAQ, link in my Sig, under mb1 stock rooted, it's in post number 2)

SPRINT GS3 FAQ

Reactions: aoebht

acostaae90

Mar 31, 2013
Lol, auto correct fail... supposed to say system apps... I recommend making a backup in cwm and trying to accept the update, if it fails (don't worry just reboot) download freeza stock rooted Rom and flash that... (you can find that Rom in my FAQ, link in my Sig, under mb1 stock rooted, it's in post number 2)

SPRINT GS3 FAQ

Okay sounds good, how would I make a backup of my clockwork of recovery...? Thanks so much and excuse my noob level..I am good with computers but just getting into phone and don't wanna brick haha

flastnoles11

Nov 16, 2011
Palm bay
OnePlus 9 Pro
Okay sounds good, how would I make a backup of my clockwork of recovery...? Thanks so much and excuse my noob level..I am good with computers but just getting into phone and don't wanna brick haha

Your not going to make a back up our your recovery, you'll make a backup of your Rom... boot into cwm and you'll see the backup option in there bud..

SPRINT GS3 FAQ

acostaae90

Mar 31, 2013
Your not going to make a back up our your recovery, you'll make a backup of your Rom... boot into cwm and you'll see the backup option in there bud..

SPRINT GS3 FAQ

Okay now I understand, how to I boot into clockwork ...i turned it off and did the volume down menu button and power button but it didn't take me to clockwork...or is it another app I have to download or a different key combination I have to press?

flastnoles11

Nov 16, 2011
Palm bay
OnePlus 9 Pro
Okay now I understand, how to I boot into clockwork ...i turned it off and did the volume down menu button and power button but it didn't take me to clockwork...or is it another app I have to download or a different key combination I have to press?

I believe it's volume up to take you to recovery. Hold it until you see the dancing logo and then release, could take a couple tries to get the timing right... Anyways good luck bud, bed time for me, if you have trouble post here and I, cnexus, or someone else will see it and help you out

SPRINT GS3 FAQ

acostaae90

Mar 31, 2013
against ceplops

I believe it's volume up to take you to recovery. Hold it until you see the dancing logo and then release, could take a couple tries to get the timing right... Anyways good luck bud, bed time for me, if you have trouble post here and I, cnexus, or someone else will see it and help you out

SPRINT GS3 FAQ

I just realized it was volume up haha my bad...sorry for all the questions. Thanks for the help!!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The purpose of this thread is hopefully to stop all the new threads being created because of the two very recent updates (MA6+MB1).

Frequently Asked Questions about OTAs

Question 1: Will I lose root if I update?
    Answer 1: Yes, if the update goes through at all. See FAQ #3 and the [GUIDE] for more details.

Question 2: How do I update to XXX if I am rooted? Do I need to unroot and go back to stock?
    Answer 2: No, this is a common misconception. There is absolutely NO need to unroot, or even to use apps that feature an "OTA survival mode". What you CAN do is head over to freeza's thread and flash the "firmware/modem/baseband" update zip in recovery, and then either wait for the dev of your ROM to update his base to the latest and greatest--most devs will do this one or two days after an update is released--or flash freeza's simple stock rooted rom (from the link above) of the latest update. You could also flag the stock rooted rom and then your preferred custom rom. This way you get the benefits of the latest update, but the features of your preferred rom.

Question 3: How do I get rid of the update notification?
    Answer 2: Now, galaxys3man already beat me to the punch on this one, so I will quote his post as this is the only surefire way to get rid of the update notification, but there are a couple alternatives that may or may not work, should you decide to try them, see the [GUIDE] in the second post.

Question 4: I updated to XXX and now I can't find the PRL Write feature? Help!
    Ok, so first head over to digiblur's PRL Write Enabler thread and download the one for your version and then just sideload the app. This feature has been disabled for whatever reason on builds ≥ MA4.

Remember: Root is lost, Root is lost, Root is lost, when you take the official update!

GUIDE: Disable the Update Notification

Surefire #1

This method requires editing the build.prop. For a comprehensive guide on how to do this, please head over to galaxys3man30s {Guide} How to edit build props for noobs.
    Open your /system/build.prop file and change all instances of MB1 to MD4.

Inside /system/build.prop

ro.build.id=JZO54K.L710VPBMB1

ro.build.version.incremental=L710VPBMB1

ro.build.description=d2spr-user 4.1.2 JZO54 L710VPBMB1 release-keys

ro.build.fingerprint=samsung/d2spr/d2spr:4.1.2/JZO54K/L710VPBMB1:user/release-keys

ro.build.PDA=L710VPBMB1

ro.build.hidden_ver=L710VPBMB1

NOTE: Its not necessary to change ro.build.id if you don't want to, it will only change what you see under "About Phone" in Settings.

---------------------------------

Surefire #2 (thanks to @rocket321! )
    Download the app from this thread

Using a root explorer, move the app downloaded above to /system/app and set the permissions to rw-r--r-- or 644.

Reboot into recovery, wipe cache and dalvik and all will be good.

Ok, as I said, the above are the only SUREFIRE way to get rid of it, but there are three other methods if you are willing to take the risk.

Alternative 1: Download the update (on a stock rom) and allow to fail when it tries to flash in recovery. There have been mixed reports as to the success of this method, some have had the update flash even while on a custom rom and custom recovery, while others couldn't get it to go through even on pure stock-rooted! The point is, even people with the exact same setup had different results, so try this one at your own risk.

Alternative 2: Disable the items in /system related to the update
    I quote:
    Solution:
    Step 1. Delete the update located in /cache/fota/ and then click the update notification prompt to install it, it will instantly fail and the notification will disappear.
    Step 2. Disable Otacerts.zip located in /etc/security by renaming it to otacerts.zip.bak
    Step 3. Disable FotaClient.apk and FWUpgrade.apk by renaming with .bak extensions located in /system/app/
    Step 4. Reboot

FWUpgrade.apk may be the only file you need to disable to prevent future notifications, but I disable all just in case.

Alternative 3: Freeze the Software Update app with a program like TitaniumBackup
    1. Open the app
    2. Scroll to the "All Apps" list, or similar
    3. Select the app by either long-pressing on it or selecting its checkbox
    4. Freeze it using the menu that either pops up, or is floating at the top or at the bottom
    5. Profit

So those are all the ways I know of, but remember the golden rule: ALWAYS make a Nandroid (aka backup) of your current setup!
    And, of course, be careful with whatever you decide to do!!

Disclaimer:
    I take NO responsibility for your actions, but I would be glad to help if anything goes wrong.

To the S3 community: I appreciate, and welcome, any suggestions as to what I can add to this FAQ/Guide :)
    I just realized it was volume up haha my bad...sorry for all the questions. Thanks for the help!!!!

Not a problem bro, that's what I'm heart for man... didn't get the rc title for ignoring people :p really though,I find pleasure in helping people, makes me feel good!

SPRINT GS3 FAQ
    Thread stuck
    Nice work

And 1st for iSaint!
    Nice job, bud. put a link to here in my FAQ