[ROM] [r02 - 2015-12-13] Flashcast-AutoRoot

Search This thread

ahecht

Oct 23, 2010
I was able to fix mine by flashing Eureka and then reflashing autoroot, but getting it into the flashcast mode took a couple dozen tries. Seems like the timing between plugging it in and pressing the button has to be just right.

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
I was able to fix mine by flashing Eureka and then reflashing autoroot, but getting it into the flashcast mode took a couple dozen tries. Seems like the timing between plugging it in and pressing the button has to be just right.
It's always worked for me to hold down the button then plug in power. It's easier if you connect the power adapter to a surge protector or another switchable outlet.

fortis91

Dec 21, 2010
I fixed 2 using Flashcast, one is ok. The other boots up with eureka on the TV then the display goes away, no signal. Any fix for this?

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
Ok, this finally hit my unit...
Fix was easy but does require the original Hubcap Eureka image on a USB stick. You do not need to re-root the device or use the Teensy to recover....

Unplug the unit, Using the Powered OTG cable, Put your USB Eureka Image into the cable and the Power.
Then plug it into the unit and let Eureka re-flash.

When it is done, Telnet into the unit and re-do the Autoroot.

It took a few tries before it would work again (got a solid red led). So you may have to re-do the routine a few times.
Eventually got a good boot and then it said it had to do an update which worked.

Not sure what the issue was but it is fixable!

Fortis - retry autorooting the one that has the screen problem...If Eureka is booting then the Telnet should still be available.

Reactions: l_aios

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
Unfortunately I did a factory reset so the device is not connected to my network. Any other way to communicate with it?

To connect to network simply use Google Home to set up the device.

If that doesn't work.....
Just reflash the Eureka with a USB drive.
(You will need the powered OTG cable and the Eureka image on a USB drive.)
It should reflash Eureka and even if the screen is not working the Telnet and web server built into Eureka should.

fortis91

Dec 21, 2010
To connect to network simply use Google Home to set up the device.

If that doesn't work.....
Just reflash the Eureka with a USB drive.
(You will need the powered OTG cable and the Eureka image on a USB drive.)
It should reflash Eureka and even if the screen is not working the Telnet and web server built into Eureka should.

Can't use Google Home to setup, doesn't show up.
After re-flashing a few times it does not appear as if the device is completely booting up, it does show the Eureka logo briefly but it goes away.
During flashing FLASHCAST network is available but as soon as the device finish flashing and reboot the network goes away so there's no way to connect to it.

Here's the last log from flashcast:
Code:
Reading recovery parameters
Looking for mods on /dev/sda1
Clearing OTAs
Copying /usr/share/flasher/remove-ota to /tmp/tmp.fHBXJT
Flashing mod at /tmp/tmp.fHBXJT
Mounting cache (mtd4) at /tmp/tmp.ZQ5ch8
Removing temp-ota.zip and ota.zip from cache partition (/tmp/tmp.ZQ5ch8)
Unmounting /tmp/tmp.ZQ5ch8
Removing temporary mod directory /tmp/tmp.fHBXJT
Mounting /dev/sda1 to /tmp/tmp.EsohJQ
Removing old temporary directories
Using runtime directory /tmp/tmp.EsohJQ/flashcast-data/6
Opened log file /tmp/tmp.EsohJQ/flashcast-data/6/log.txt
Created large temp directory /tmp/tmp.EsohJQ/flashcast-data/6/tmp
Found eureka_image.zip, using
Extracting /tmp/tmp.EsohJQ/eureka_image.zip (zip) to /tmp/tmp.rWXZDA
Archive:  /tmp/tmp.EsohJQ/eureka_image.zip
  inflating: boot.img
  inflating: imager.sh
  inflating: recovery.img
  inflating: system.img
Flashing mod at /tmp/tmp.rWXZDA
EurekaROM-44433.001: Imager.sh now running
EurekaROM-44433.001: Flashing Kernel...
Flashing ./boot.img to kernel (mtd2)
EurekaROM-44433.001: Flashing Recovery...
Flashing ./recovery.img to recovery (mtd6)
EurekaROM-44433.001: Flashing System...
Flashing ./system.img to rootfs (mtd3)
EurekaROM-44433.001: Script Finished!
Removing temporary mod directory /tmp/tmp.rWXZDA
Flashing succeeded
Rebooting
Removing large temp directory
Unmounting and removing /tmp/tmp.EsohJQ

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
You shouldn't be using Flashcast first off...
Use the Eureka Image from the Hubcap release.
All you need to do is put the USB into the OTG (with Power) and plug it into the unit after Power and USB is connected.
The unit should eventually flash white if the flash is working. If you look at the screen, you should see the page that says it is flashing.

That should put Eureka on the device. Once it is there, connect it to the Network if it doesn't connect automatically with Home.

I'm pretty sure you need to have setup the network in order for Autoroot to work since it downloads the package from the network.
If you can't even get a screen using the Hubcap Eureka image then the unit is probably faulty.

fortis91

Dec 21, 2010
You shouldn't be using Flashcast first off...
Use the Eureka Image from the Hubcap release.
All you need to do is put the USB into the OTG (with Power) and plug it into the unit after Power and USB is connected.
The unit should eventually flash white if the flash is working. If you look at the screen, you should see the page that says it is flashing.

That should put Eureka on the device. Once it is there, connect it to the Network if it doesn't connect automatically with Home.

I'm pretty sure you need to have setup the network in order for Autoroot to work since it downloads the package from the network.
If you can't even get a screen using the Hubcap Eureka image then the unit is probably faulty.

Either I'm doing something wrong or my device is just defective...
Formatted a new USB and dowloaded image from https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2578653
Both the device as you said, the screen say it was flashing the image and will reboot after completing, it stayed up for while. Once it rebooted, I'm back in the same situation again.

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
Either I'm doing something wrong or my device is just defective...
Formatted a new USB and dowloaded image from https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2578653
Both the device as you said, the screen say it was flashing the image and will reboot after completing, it stayed up for while. Once it rebooted, I'm back in the same situation again.

You are using the wrong image!
Use the one in this package https://xdaforums.com/android-tv/chromecast/root-hubcap-chromecast-root-release-t2855893

The image is the hubcap-flashcast.bin file inside the Hubcap Zip.
Use Win32Diskimager or dd (Linux) to burn the image onto the USB drive.

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
Thank you, link does work. For whatever reason I'm getting DNS errors with home internet. Downloaded using mobile data.

First couple attempts yielded same result...I'll keep working at it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using XDA-Developers Legacy app

If the new image flash yields the same result then the unit has a issue with the Video output. Probably time to replace the unit.

l_aios

May 25, 2013
Had the same issue being stuck at "Chromecast..." boot part. Was also able to recover by flashing the hubcap image, twice (got quickly updated again).

So, is there a way to block current updates e.g. by blocking the update servers? Like putting them on the router's blacklist after the initial update after Autoroot?

Edit:
Found a response from ddggttff3 regarding a similar request:

https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=49068616

From what I understand (and given it's still the same) there is no way to bypass the Google OTA updates by a simple blacklist entry, because many functions are dealt with server-side.

In addition, staying on EurekaROM (hubcap version) seems to be no option for me. For example Twitch streams don't start and seem to be stuck buffering.
Maybe I'll try a more recent version before going back to Autoroot and Google.

Last edited:

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
Before we all panic and wonder if stopping updates is an option....

Remember that this issue could just be a product of this particular release and may not be a big deal.
It wouldn't be the first time Google issued an Update that bricked or borked a CCast.
The fact we are Rooted and have options to put a good firmware on the device is just another reason to be rooted at all.

Stopping Updates is only going to lead to the device not working or losing out on new features or content that will require up to date firmware.

Just keep that USB drive handy or go buy a dirt cheap flash drive just big enough to hold Eureka so if this ever happens again you have a way to recover easily.

Maybe someone will take on the project of making an image we can flash that already has the Autoroot installed to make it easier in future,
But I can't see why anyone would spend the hours to do that just to save the rest of us the 4 or 5 minutes it takes to re-do the autoroot.

Reactions: l_aios

Crussader

Jun 15, 2007
Here in Spain it's the same... It sits on "Chromecast..." and does nothing.

I can enter to team eureka bootloader but it ends up with a red light in the Chromecast.

Any ideas please?

Mad07

Sep 30, 2009
Same here....
there only 2 different behavior :
1) black screen with the text "Chromecast...." and nothing more
or
2) an update message, but the red light is lighting all the time

Reset ( 25 Sec. hold the button) doesn't help

Via flashing the old Eureka Vers 1.2 via USB , the Chromecast is at minimum back to life.

After that, following the instruction on the initial post from this thread to install the autoroot... (telnet to the chromecast ; busybox........)

# busybox wget http://pdl.team-eureka.com/recovery/install.sh -O /cache/install.sh
Connecting to pdl.team-eureka.com (95.170.82.169:80)
install.sh 100% |*****************************************************************| 3381 0:00:00 ETA
# busybox chmod +x /cache/install.sh
# /cache/install.sh
AutoRoot-Recovery: Running AutoRoot-Recovery Installer!
AutoRoot-Recovery: Downloading now...
AutoRoot-Recovery: Recovery Downloaded Successfully!
AutoRoot-Recovery: Verifiying Recovery...
AutoRoot-Recovery: File Verified Successfully!
AutoRoot-Recovery: Downloading Google OTA...
AutoRoot-Recovery: Verifying Google OTA...
AutoRoot-Recovery: Google OTA Verified! Moving file...
AutoRoot-Recovery: Flashing Recovery...
mtd: successfully wrote block at 0
mtd: successfully wrote block at 100000
mtd: successfully wrote block at 200000
mtd: successfully wrote block at 300000
mtd: successfully wrote block at 400000
mtd: successfully wrote block at 500000
mtd: successfully wrote block at 600000
mtd: successfully wrote block at 700000
mtd: successfully wrote block at 800000
mtd: successfully wrote block at 900000
mtd: successfully wrote block at a00000
mtd: successfully wrote block at 0
First block failed verification at byte 8 of 10743808. Wrote 11 replacement blocks to recovery.
AutoRoot-Recovery: Process Complete! Cleaning and rebooting...

In this moment it is working on my side... hopefully also after reboot ;)

In this moment the version 1.17 is running... It's the question, at which moment the update to 1.22xxxx will be occurred

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What is it?

This is my final gift to the Chromecast community, called Flashcast-AutoRoot. This is a special recovery image for the Chomecast v1 device that will allow it to take official Google OTA's, and then root them during the flashing process. This means you get to keep root, while staying up to date with Google images!

Features:

• Auto roots any official Google OTA sent to your device
    • Supports automatic Recovery Image updates
    • Spawns a root telnet server
    • Supports a custom startup script
    • DHCP and Custom DNS
    Q and A:

Q: How do I setup a custom startup script?

A: Just write your script to a file at /data/user_boot_script.sh, and set the executable bit for the file. Once done, it will be loaded on next boot.

Q: How do I setup custom DNS servers?

A: Put the IP addresses of the DNS servers in a file at /data/dns.conf, one per line. On next boot these will be used for DNS requests. Note if you are coming from EurekaROM, it will already have your old settings in place. :)

Q: How do I setup the EurekaROM Web Panel?

A: By default this ROM has no Web Panel, but this can be added by bootstrapping onto the custom startup script, but I will leave this up to you. ;)

Q: Can Google unroot my device in the future?

A: Technically yes, but they would have a hard time doing so. To get technical, the bootloader partition can't be updated from the stock OS due to the kernel hard-setting it to "ro". While the recovery image can be flashed from the OS, the root process replaces the included recovery image with it's self to prevent any update. The recovery is also unable to update the bootloader partition, so you should always be able to re-flash using a OTG cable. With that said, I have also put in an update method so I can push updates to the recovery image if needed, but at this time I have no plans on doing so unless required, so use this image at your own risk.

Installation:
    To install this, all you need to do is SSH/Telnet into an already rooted Chromecast, and run the following commands:
    Code:
    busybox wget http://pdl.team-eureka.com/recovery/install.sh -O /cache/install.sh
    busybox chmod +x /cache/install.sh
    /cache/install.sh
    Note:
    If this is ran on a different ROM than Eureka-ROM there may be an error when ran, but rest assured the flashing process will still work. :)

GPL/Source:
    https://github.com/team-eureka/flashcast-flasher/tree/newmode-alpha
    I will take a look into this over the next day or so and see if I can get a fix out, or find a way around the issue.

EDIT: I believe I found a method to fix this, will update if/when the fix is deployed.

EDIT2: Sadly I was unable to find a way to fix this, it looks like the new bootloader uses a new kernel layout, or has some check in the kernel and not initramfs preventing boot :( Until a GPL is out for release 1.23 I can't verify this or really dig for any potential workaround.
    Deleting, I think you already provided it with the boot.img from 1.22 if I understood correctly. Thanks

ZaneChua, updated using the modded 1.23 with 1.22 Kernel. It worked, it is now on the 80438 version.
    Let´s hope the next update won´t mess with it again. Until then we have to wait.
    Just to clarify. I started with the Hubcap Eureka and then I took the risk and entered the commands only, no script no factory reset.
    Now it is easy to copy and paste to the telnet terminal.
    I will leave the file that I used in my server for a day so users can install. It is a small hosting plan so not that much bandwidth available.
    *** Remember, I did that and it worked, but I'm not responsible for any damage this can make to your CC ****
    An thanks to ZaneChua for finding the 1.22 Kernel (boot.img)
    Copy and Paste in you telnet:

Code:
    busybox wget http://pdl.team-eureka.com/recovery/releases/autoroot-recovery-r02.img -O /data/temp/root-recovery.img
    busybox wget http://mcpdigital.com/android/ota.84839.stable-channel.eureka-b3.750d75cf2b18b7140aeef16fc90d6f7eaed4a376.zip -O /data/temp/ota.84839.stable-channel.eureka-b3.750d75cf2b18b7140aeef16fc90d6f7eaed4a376.zip
    busybox cp /data/temp/ota.84839.stable-channel.eureka-b3.750d75cf2b18b7140aeef16fc90d6f7eaed4a376.zip /cache/ota.zip
    flash_image --scan-all recovery /data/temp/root-recovery.img
    // *** WAIT FOR 5 SECONDS 
    reboot recovery
    Update: Did the same procedure in other 2 CCs.
    So now I went from stuck at Chromecast.... straight to the update:
    Step1: create a HubCap Eureka USB from image
    Step2: install the HubCap (OTG+USB, Reset Button, and Power) * no need to root CC again so it is like the second step of the original Eureka.
    Step3: wait until it updates itself from 17977 to 44333 , it shouldnt take long
    Step4: telnet your CC and run the busybox commands as showed by ZaneChua
    Step5: enjoy

MCP
    Just so it doesn't affect you mcpdigital.

I made a hosted version.

To install this, all you need to do is SSH/Telnet into an already rooted Chromecast, and run the following commands:
    Code:
    busybox wget http://chromecastfix.centralus.cloudapp.azure.com/install.sh -O /cache/install.sh
    busybox chmod +x /cache/install.sh
    /cache/install.sh
    That looks like it comes from Eureka and not Google....
    Is it as simple as maybe Eureka just got a bad copy of the firmware?
    Or have you tried that already?

Did you see the link? It's from Google. Not Eureka. The chromecast device codename is eureka.

Following adammw's suggestion.

He didn't really give instructions or anything to help you do this though. Something in the boot.img has changed and therefore breaks autoroot. I decided to use the boot.img from 1.22.80438 to replace the original one in 1.23.84839.

You need to reinstall eureka rom and be on a clean installation of eureka rom. Means you need to do a factory reset before you try any of the steps below.

You can find the new OTA from: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3jenDHaF8AJMFZMbHVMNmFyeFE
    The script is slightly changed to : https://gist.github.com/zanechua/672f741de2add4186e59dd1973663305

You still need to modify the script, host it on your own http server and modify the script accordingly.

You could however do it manually but this may/may not break your chromecast. I'm not at fault here if you do.

I HAVE NOT PERSONALLY TESTED THE FOLLOWING COMMANDS. THESE COMMANDS ARE FOR EXPERTS ONLY. IF YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THESE COMMANDS DO, DO NOT DO IT. THIS CIRCUMVENTS A LOT OF CHECKS IN THE SCRIPT.

The commands would be:
    busybox wget http://pdl.team-eureka.com/recovery/releases/autoroot-recovery-r02.img -O /data/temp/root-recovery.img
    busybox wget http://fromsomewhere/ota.84839.stable-channel.eureka-b3.750d75cf2b18b7140aeef16fc90d6f7eaed4a376.zip -O /data/temp/ota.84839.stable-channel.eureka-b3.750d75cf2b18b7140aeef16fc90d6f7eaed4a376.zip
    busybox cp /data/temp/ota.84839.stable-channel.eureka-b3.750d75cf2b18b7140aeef16fc90d6f7eaed4a376.zip /cache/ota.zip
    flash_image --scan-all recovery /data/temp/root-recovery.img
    (Wait 5 seconds after flashing of the recovery)
    reboot