Question for developers about wifi calling

Search This thread

mbradley672

Oct 21, 2010
Chesterfield, VA
This is a question to all devs who understand the underlying system far better than I. I have a T-Mobile Note 3 and am interested in moving to CM but where I live the signal is not great at all so I MUST use Wifi calling and MMS. now is the mechanism a module that can be moved to another rom or is this something baked into the samsung based rom itself?

If I can move to another type of non samsung rom and take wifi calling with me how can this be done or is it a feature that will have to be added to source and recompile?

Thanks so much everyone maybe if there is no way to do it now maybe we as a community can find a way to do this and bring it to other devices that do not have this type of feature.

ttabbal

Jul 1, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I am not aware of anyone getting T-Mobile wifi calling working on an aosp ROM. It requires very deep integration into the system. It's not just an app, though it probably could be if they cared to write it properly.

If I had a need for it, I'd use csipsimple and voip.ms or callcentric. I believe the AOSP dialer app supports sip calling as well.

str8killinya

Sep 15, 2010
West Chester,Ohio
I've been tmobile for years with many phones and have never heard anyone porting it. Make that happen and lots of donations would come at ya like a stripper getting rain'd on

4.4.2 Powered SM-N900T! Bye Bye Touchwiz

mbradley672

Oct 21, 2010
Chesterfield, VA
I've been tmobile for years with many phones and have never heard anyone porting it. Make that happen and lots of donations would come at ya like a stripper getting rain'd on

This is exactly what my thoughts are if anyone gets it to work out of the box on tmo devices they would be swimming in donations.

I am not aware of anyone getting T-Mobile wifi calling working on an aosp ROM. It requires very deep integration into the system. It's not just an app, though it probably could be if they cared to write it properly.

If I had a need for it, I'd use csipsimple and voip.ms or callcentric. I believe the AOSP dialer app supports sip calling as well.

Ill have to look into these solutions.

GrannyDanger

Mar 28, 2012
Thank you for asking this question. I was wondering the exact same thing because I just flipped to a CM based 4.4.2 ROM last night and the dev said WiFi calling was specific to Samsung ROMs, which didn't make any sense to me.

Does/would WiFi calling have a completely different script in AOSP versus TW?

All I know is I would definitely be in the group that 'makes it rain' for a dev that implements the feature into an AOSP ROM for the Note 3.

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app

mbradley672

Oct 21, 2010
Chesterfield, VA
The sad thing is I remember reading awhile back that tmobile was planning to open source their wifi calling software.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 05:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

https://code.google.com/p/the-ims-open-source-project-for-android/

The stack is available for dev

This would make things so much easier. but another thing is that i'm thinking that they are now using a different protocol because i've seen another dev using that IMS stack in the note 2 forums [EDITED to add info on other developer]

Thank you for asking this question. I was wondering the exact same thing because I just flipped to a CM based 4.4.2 ROM last night and the dev said WiFi calling was specific to Samsung ROMs, which didn't make any sense to me.

Does/would WiFi calling have a completely different script in AOSP versus TW?

All I know is I would definitely be in the group that 'makes it rain' for a dev that implements the feature into an AOSP ROM for the Note 3.

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app

Well since it is baked into the samsung roms it would mean that it would have to be reverse engineered. no one seems to want to take the time to do it or they can't figure it out and from what i know they would be able to get about 60k from various device forums.

Last edited:

corwest

Apr 1, 2009
Seattle

False. CM7 had it for the Mytouch 4g. ;) But that was also when T-Mobile used the Kineto apk version of wificalling and not IMS.

Last edited:
Reactions: str8killinya

dieGeist

Sep 15, 2013
some fat clown on google+ still claims he has some port but he wants to keep it hidden so people don't steal and claim credit for his work. lol.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

False. CM7 had it for the Mytouch 4g. ;) But that was also when T-Mobile used the Kineto apk version of wificalling and not IMS.