Sony Ericsson MBW-150 OLED repairs

Search This thread

netstat_EVO

Feb 15, 2011
Still waiting for the displays I ordered to get here. I hate when things that say they will take 4-8 weeks actually seem like they are going to take that long lol

Apparently it is being handled as a 1-off order and they are actually being made per my order. Seems kind of stupid to me, but it is what it is. I can't believe they don't have two displays sitting in a warehouse somewhere.

Edit: Just went and checked my order status (not like I was expecting any change), it's still listed as "Processing". But today makes one week since the order was accepted... Only one week, it feels like 3 birthdays have already gone by... This is going to be the longest 4-8 weeks of my life. :(

Last edited:

netstat_EVO

Feb 15, 2011
Unconventional Update:

There is no update...

Display order is still showing as "Processing".

So I guess the update is that the project hasn't gone dead, I just can't do anything without parts lol :)

netstat_EVO

Feb 15, 2011
Just checked my order status for the displays.

Status is changed to SHIPPED :)

Now I don't know if that is "shipped from china to US distribution center" or "shipped to me" but either way, they should he here soon :)

leobg

Mar 7, 2006
I am on the same boat too. In the past month the screen of my MBW-150 exec (white one) had dimmed to a degree it is only readable in rather dark environment, certainly invisible in daylight..
I am going on the wait list too here! Looking forward for good news!

slipudatung

Nov 10, 2008
Secret
MBW-100

I have an MBW-100 that suffers from No Display (Went from Dim to gone) and would be keen to try out one of these. Its been sitting in a box in my room for like a year so might be a fun project!

Did you have issues with ordering just a couple?

netstat_EVO

Feb 15, 2011
I have an MBW-100 that suffers from No Display (Went from Dim to gone) and would be keen to try out one of these. Its been sitting in a box in my room for like a year so might be a fun project!

Did you have issues with ordering just a couple?

other than the fact that it took forever (received Friday) no.

I have to find a watch shop to help me out with one of the last steps of disassembly. I am scared to pull the hands off the watch face, and it has to happen. I'd rather pay someone $10 to do it than break it myself...

more updates to come over the next week.

BOTICSELLI

Apr 26, 2007
BUDAPEST
Hello there!
I'm from Hungary, and I have exactly the same problem with my MBW-150 Classic.
If this project will working to you, I will order 2 yellow display...

Any news?
How it's going?

paulheth

May 4, 2006
Vancouver
Great to hear you are progressing netstat_EVO. Count me in on the 'watching with keen interest list'. I can still see my LCD but only in medium to dim light.

Thanks for your efforts!

CyberDemonVZ

Apr 9, 2009
Varazdin
www.index.hr
Hi!
I will get MBW-150 in few days, and I am reading on XDA to find everything about it :)
I've found your thread, and I am waiting to see if this will be solution for dim LCD :)

But then I saw you wrote this:

From what I have read, there seems to be two major issues with these watches that are deal breakers for most people, as SE won't repair/replace your device unless it is still under warranty (kind of hard to do since they are out of production).
1) Battery issues. Status: solved, thanks to XDA members
2) Fading/dead OLED display. Status: doesn't appear that anyone has tackled this problem yet.

What is the battery issue? And where is the solution?

Thank you in advance ;)

zaphodbb1

Mar 6, 2011
St. Albans
Hi

Just as a bit of background info re OLED in general:

I asked a guy I know who designs visual based stuff for a very high profile 'solutions' company, and his remark was that the issue with OLED displays is that they are killed by air getting into them. This is true of all OLED's and is the main reason there are no really large panels (TV's) at present as no manufacturer has managed to produce one that excludes air over a long period of time - all the current glass types leak a very small amount. As air gets in the panels gradually dim until Nada.

Not of any real help for you guys, but now you know why....

Reactions: zaidkm

netstat_EVO

Feb 15, 2011
To the guy with the battery question. Just Google search for mbw-150 battery. Replacements are now readily available thanks to xda members.

Moisture is also a leading killer of oled displays. I think our problem is that Sony didn't seal these units as well as they should have.

To everyone else, been busy with work lately, getting the hands removed soon to continue this project. Just gotta find time to get to a shop.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G using Tapatalk

CyberDemonVZ

Apr 9, 2009
Varazdin
www.index.hr
To the guy with the battery question. Just Google search for mbw-150 battery. Replacements are now readily available thanks to xda members.

OK, thank you!

I just received my MBW-150 Music! i love it!
Still perfect display ;)

"Fading display" will happen 100%, and it is just matter of time?
Or this happens only on some devices?

I don't have problems, but I will subscribe to your thread, just in case ;)

CyberDemonVZ

Apr 9, 2009
Varazdin
www.index.hr
Mine just arrived from here: http://www.thebatterystore.com/batteryforsonyericssonbluetoothwatchmbw-100andmbw-150.aspx

I think $19.95 plus $9.67 shipping and handling is a ripoff, but I was able to get two for the same shipping, so they were "only" around $25 each! :eek:

What about this?

http://www.thebatterystore.com/powerdiscpd243037v100mahli-ionrechargeablecoincell.aspx

According to some internet pages, this should be the same battery, but without connectors and insulation.
Three versions, I guess cheapest one ($7.50) would be OK if you know how to solder.

If changing OLED display will work, then netstat_EVO should buy a lot of displays and batteries, and he could be service center for MBW-150, covering whole world :)

tektor

Apr 2, 2009
Hey guys, sorry to spoil the party here, but I have a cautionary tale that will hopefully prevent others from totally destroying their MBW-150.

I was also excited about the prospect of getting my dim OLED repaired. But I got impatient (happens a lot), and decided to dig-in. My thought was to take the good OLED from my "executive" model (I don't care for the metal band), and use it to replace the dim OLED in my "classic" model.

Now, I'm not a watch expert. But I'm relatively tech/mech savvy. So I unscrewed and removed the back without incident. The battery is right there, and can be easily replaced. However, I'd recommend getting a pro to do it, so that they can replace the water seal on the cover before closing it. Anyway, that's about all I'd say can be serviced on the watch.

To get the rest of the watch out of the housing, you need to remove a few more screws, and you also need to remove the crown (the thing you use to set the time on the hands). I don't know how to remove the crown, and ended up breaking the spindle in the process. Oh, well; at that point, I knew I was hosed. So I figured I'd learn what I could so I could post it here. I assume that someone more knowledgeable about watches could remove the crown without damage.

Now, the way the "movement" is constructed, there's a main board sandwiched between the "face" and a rear plastic housing. The OLED is, of course, on the front side of the board, which means you need to remove the face to get access to it. As netstat_EVO mentioned, that involves removing the hands. I couldn't see how to do that without damage. Since I knew I was already hosed, I just broke them off. Again, I assume an experienced person could do that without damage. Then the face slides right off, and there's the OLED.

Now here's the kicker. The OLED is attached to the main board by a short ribbon cable. And that cable, with its two dozen or so thin leads, is totally baked onto the board - no socket there, at least not on mine. Now, I could be wrong, and if so, someone please correct me. But I don't think that cable can be removed from the board without destroying the "landing" area. Probably someone with the right tools could do the repair, but those would be some pretty specialized tools. I'm handy enough with a soldering iron, and I can tell you, that wouldn't do it.

I still have two MBW-150s, and I love them. (OpenWatch on Android rocks!) But now I'm resigned to the fact that eventually the OLEDs will die. And aside from being reasonably good looking watches, they won't be anything special.

If you think you'll have better luck than me, then by all means, please try! I wish you the best. And thank you very much to netstat_EVO for posting your info!

Last edited:

keven311

Mar 26, 2009
Awesome hope you get it soon i would like to be first on your list for repair i love that watch.

larrytango

Feb 5, 2009
Hey guys, sorry to spoil the party here, but I have a cautionary tale that will hopefully prevent others from totally destroying their MBW-150.

I was also excited about the prospect of getting my dim OLED repaired. But I got impatient (happens a lot), and decided to dig-in. My thought was to take the good OLED from my "executive" model (I don't care for the metal band), and use it to replace the dim OLED in my "classic" model.

Now, I'm not a watch expert. But I'm relatively tech/mech savvy. So I unscrewed and removed the back without incident. The battery is right there, and can be easily replaced. However, I'd recommend getting a pro to do it, so that they can replace the water seal on the cover before closing it. Anyway, that's about all I'd say can be serviced on the watch.

To get the rest of the watch out of the housing, you need to remove a few more screws, and you also need to remove the crown (the thing you use to set the time on the hands). I don't know how to remove the crown, and ended up breaking the spindle in the process. Oh, well; at that point, I knew I was hosed. So I figured I'd learn what I could so I could post it here. I assume that someone more knowledgeable about watches could remove the crown without damage.

Now, the way the "movement" is constructed, there's a main board sandwiched between the "face" and a rear plastic housing. The OLED is, of course, on the front side of the board, which means you need to remove the face to get access to it. As netstat_EVO mentioned, that involves removing the hands. I couldn't see how to do that without damage. Since I knew I was already hosed, I just broke them off. Again, I assume an experienced person could do that without damage. Then the face slides right off, and there's the OLED.

Now here's the kicker. The OLED is attached to the main board by a short ribbon cable. And that cable, with its two dozen or so thin leads, is totally baked onto the board - no socket there, at least not on mine. Now, I could be wrong, and if so, someone please correct me. But I don't think that cable can be removed from the board without destroying the "landing" area. Probably someone with the right tools could do the repair, but those would be some pretty specialized tools. I'm handy enough with a soldering iron, and I can tell you, that wouldn't do it.

I still have two MBW-150s, and I love them. (OpenWatch on Android rocks!) But now I'm resigned to the fact that eventually the OLEDs will die. And aside from being reasonably good looking watches, they won't be anything special.

If you think you'll have better luck than me, then by all means, please try! I wish you the best. And thank you very much to netstat_EVO for posting your info!

any pics??

I have 2 watches .. both ended up with no screen now :( im looking to buy another but does anyone else have a suggestion of another bluetooth watch that i could use with smartwatch / openwatch (i have HD2 and thus use windows mobile and android) that doesnt suffer this issue?

netstat_EVO

Feb 15, 2011

There isn't so much doom and gloom in the disassembly process. Sounds like you ran into some pretty bad luck.

I have already had mine apart to the point where removing the hands to gain access to the OLED was all that I still needed to do.

As for the rubber seal, getting it to seat correctly isn't that big of an issue, and I doubt that a watch shop would be able to replace it with a new one (we all know how Sony is about parts for these :( )

The crown (thanks btw, I didn't know the name of that part. I just called it the time changer thing) that is actually pretty easy to remove. You just have to pull very very slowly and evenly and it will eventually just pop right out without breaking.

Still trying to find time to get to a watch shop to have the hands removed... I took on a second department to manage at work and time has been at a premium lately.

paulheth

May 4, 2006
Vancouver
Udpate?

There isn't so much doom and gloom in the disassembly process. Sounds like you ran into some pretty bad luck.

I have already had mine apart to the point where removing the hands to gain access to the OLED was all that I still needed to do.

As for the rubber seal, getting it to seat correctly isn't that big of an issue, and I doubt that a watch shop would be able to replace it with a new one (we all know how Sony is about parts for these :( )

The crown (thanks btw, I didn't know the name of that part. I just called it the time changer thing) that is actually pretty easy to remove. You just have to pull very very slowly and evenly and it will eventually just pop right out without breaking.

Still trying to find time to get to a watch shop to have the hands removed... I took on a second department to manage at work and time has been at a premium lately.

Completely get the 'hard to find the time' thing as our 18 month old keeps us running, but any change for an update? My screen is totally gone now, but love the watch.

gewoonjan

Sep 3, 2010
so if i understand it correctly a watch shop could install a new oled display when provided?
oh and what about the expected life span of the displays? i couldn't really work that out from the previous posts
i'd love to try it because i recently bought a second hand mbw-100 with dead oled without knowing that buying a new watch would be better:rolleyes:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New OLED

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg
    New OLED

Hi! I got to change the display!
    I used RGS08096016B001.
    Ritdisplay firm.
    DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg
    four times click bottom-right button after that one click top-right button
    Hey :)

What do you think about: Monochrome yellow 96x16 oled graphic display ??

You can see this oled on ebay. Would be work with MBW-150 ??

... i have info for you :)
    Display on ebay is OSRAM/PICTIVA...i have purchased it from the seller in white color.
    Seller say, that display must be same as my original...BUT NOT!!!
    Display is connected from another side, is larger , and show pictures like mirrored.
    Driver is SSD1303

img2709j.jpg

BTW...after hard searching on internet i have found manufacturer of original display.
    It is RiTdisplay company...so i have contacted him and here is reply....not good reply :(

Dear Sir,

After check the product --P13707 , the project was EOL before 3 years ago.
    I'm afraid that you need to find other item and change design.

regards,
    Joanne Tien
    RiTdisplay Corporation
    Seen the first link, didn't think it applied because it looks like the FPC is facing towards the camera as well as the PCB. It was my understanding that the OLED FPC had a much finer pitch than the one shown in the first video. The second video does not apply much at all due to the OLED having windowed leads vs the standard leads on the SE display.

Very happy about the step by step instructions you gave for disassembling the watch though! :D Where did you purchase the displays from?

Also, you were able to remove the old display without damaging the PCB contacts?! you must post pictures! I'm very interested! :)

I ordered the displays from http://sales.trulydisplays.com/ using the part number for the white display linked to earlier, OEL9M0023-W-E.

I took this picture with my phone and it's a little blurry, plus the forum resized it. While some of the display leads were broken in the process, I think you can see that the contacts on the watch are intact.