[APP][4.1+][V5.4] Open Mic+ for Google Now

Search This thread

Psych0Smil3s

Dec 15, 2014
Detroit
At first it worked just fine, but now it opens Google search every 30 seconds without even being called. I have to freeze the app to get it to stop. After pressing the stop button it will turn itself back on and call forth Google search again.

Xabiman

Apr 14, 2009
Zaragoza
Lots of time force closes. Developer doesn't reply mails. Impossible to contact him. Do you know if there is a similar app working ok? Or maybe a solution to force closes? Using Android 5.1.1, Note 3 and latest version of Open Mic and Google App. Thank you very much!

RaymondG1

Aug 31, 2016
I am having a problem with open mic for Google do you know how I can fix it? It's saying that it is 9ff line? But it is not off line!

Nov 16, 2016
Toronto
Add non-english hot word to PocketSphinx dictionary

I haven't seen this solution mentioned yet so thought I'd sign up and post in the hopes that it helps others.

If you're having difficulty setting a hot word with PocketSphinx because of the "non-english word" error, you can simply add it to the dictionary. The dictionary file is named hub4.5000.dic and can be found in the following directory on your phone's primary storage:

\Android\data\com.RSen.OpenMic.Pheonix\files\models\lm

The dictionary is a text file and consists of a list of words in alphabetic order. Next to each word is a pronunciation key. Adding a new word is just a matter of inserting a new line in the correct place and defining the pronunciation. The pronunciation key is separated from the word by a tab and each syllable of the pronunciation is separated by a space. Getting the correct pronunciation is the tricky part as the "sounds" may not be entirely intuitive. Luckily, there are plenty of words in the dictionary you can use as a reference. You could also do it via trial and error.

For example, I wanted to add the word "Anita"--she's the hot android from the show "Humans"--so I inserted the following line:

Code:
anita	AH N IY T AA

Save the file. You can now make "anita" your hot word in Open Mic+ :)

Reactions: DynamOdin

wastenot

Apr 15, 2012
This app seems to have been orphaned. Is that the case?

2017-10-14: I conclude that the answer is yes: The play store page states:

Due to MIT overworking me, this application will no longer be supported by me :( Thank you to everyone for all the support, I hope to get back to this one some day.

I tried installing it on a brand new Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 and got many errors during setup, including warnings about api's being cancelled by Google, and including repeatable/reproducible force closes when trying to use the application.

I will edit this post to include pictures once I can figure out why imgur.com does not want to accept uploads of my screenshots from this new device. :mad:

ultimatdan

Feb 4, 2012
Boston
I installed this app on my VZW Note 5 and then uninstalled it. Since then I havent been able to use the regular "ok google" voice commands on my phone from any screen like I used to be able to before installing this app. I checked the settings in the google app for voice and everything is setup right. How can I fix this? Thanks.

MajkS

I haven't seen this solution mentioned yet so thought I'd sign up and post in the hopes that it helps others.

If you're having difficulty setting a hot word with PocketSphinx because of the "non-english word" error, you can simply add it to the dictionary. The dictionary file is named hub4.5000.dic and can be found in the following directory on your phone's primary storage:

\Android\data\com.RSen.OpenMic.Pheonix\files\models\lm

The dictionary is a text file and consists of a list of words in alphabetic order. Next to each word is a pronunciation key. Adding a new word is just a matter of inserting a new line in the correct place and defining the pronunciation. The pronunciation key is separated from the word by a tab and each syllable of the pronunciation is separated by a space. Getting the correct pronunciation is the tricky part as the "sounds" may not be entirely intuitive. Luckily, there are plenty of words in the dictionary you can use as a reference. You could also do it via trial and error.

For example, I wanted to add the word "Anita"--she's the hot android from the show "Humans"--so I inserted the following line:

Code:
anita	AH N IY T AA

Save the file. You can now make "anita" your hot word in Open Mic+ :)

I know that I am late but I'll still ask: I found "com.RSen.OpenMic.Pheonix" folder but there was no dictionary database file in it. Did that file moved or it's not possible to edit it anymore?

Reactions: JESTY WORLD

arivel

Jun 21, 2019
no rountime

Hello
I have installed version 5.5.1 on an HTC M9 +.
I need it to launch a runtime created with the google assistant when the screen is off.
when I say ok google turns on and receives my voice but instead of launching the runtime it goes to do an internet search.

RSenG2x

Jun 3, 2012
Seattle, WA
www.RSenApps.com
Hi everyone,

Wow it has been a long time since I worked on Open Mic+! My interests have moved on from Android apps (you can see some of my latest projects here: http://rsenapps.com/). But it was really fun to go back through this thread and remember how many people used to love (and hopefully still have fond memories of) Open Mic+!

I also wanted to point out that Open Mic+ was open sourced https://github.com/RSenApps/OpenMicAndroid I think I put the announcement in the google play store description, but it got lost when Google removed it from the store again. Definitely should have posted about that here too, my bad.

Really happy to help anyone interested in reviving this project. I haven't kept up with the latest Android API / Google search app changes, but hopefully it is still possible!

Y'all are awesome!
Ryan

Reactions: rophiroth

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    About Open Mic+
    Google Now, Everywhere.

As featured on XDA, LifeHacker, SlashGear, Android Community, Android Spin, dotTech, AndroidInt'l, and more!

With Open Mic+ for Google Now, access all the commands from anywhere on your phone. Simply say "Okay Google" or wave your hand in front of the screen. Screen on, screen off Google Now will be ready to listen.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?
    Google Now becomes more conversational as after a search just say Okay Google to start a new one. And even better get the answers to your questions while your hands are tied, or when you're on the couch, or in the car.

TOMORROW'S FEATURES TODAY
    Everybody's talking about the new Touchless Controls features for the Moto X, but now any phone that is running Jelly Bean or higher can have the same experience.

SEAMLESS
    Open Mic+ will run in the background and can be configured to start at boot so that it truly becomes part of the phone.

TASKER INTEGRATION
    Truly automate your device by combining the endless command list of Tasker with the ease of access of Open Mic!

Open Mic+ uses offline voice recognition which means less data usage and faster results.

What I'm working on:
    See the g+ page for more details! Also please contact me if you are willing to contribute. Experience in sound engineering is especially welcome!

Please see the g+ page for more details and for videos (Also follow to be notified of updates!): http://plus.google.com/112424215551484520138/posts
    Download: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.RSen.OpenMic.Pheonix

[QRCODE]https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.RSen.OpenMic.Pheonix[/QRCODE]

Remember this is a work in progress, if it isn't working for you now, make sure to follow the g+ page so you'll know when I make it better :)

Changelog:
    5.4:
    - Google has asked me to remove the Google Speech Engine due to high server traffic. From here on out, the only supported speech engine will be PocketSphinx... Kind of sucks, but you know you're legitimate when you are producing enough traffic for Google to care about you :)
    - Because of this change Tasker commands are not supported... yet (I know a way just need more time). For now use my other app Commandr http://goo.gl/ymwQ46
    - Fixes for conflicts in Lollipop
    - Pocketsphinx optimization
    5.3:
    - bug and crash fixes
    5.2:
    - bug and crash fixes
    5.1:
    - bug and crash fixes
    5.0:
    - Completely redesigned UI to both simplify and guide the user experience (inspired by the Google Now design)
    - Tablet-Optimized UI
    - Multiple optimizations for PocketSphinx and Google engine
    - Device-specific optimizations for Nexus 5 and Moto G
    - Change sensitivity of Wave and Shake Detection
    - Simplify Listen while screen off settings (even I got confused before!)
    - Automatically blacklist apps that use the mic (this fixes issues with the camera, Shaazam, and other similar apps)
    - Fix Tasker Command problems (this update will wipe your current commands)
    - Visual feedback to show what Open Mic+ is doing
    - Redesigned Support interface which will auto-send logs and device information (with consent) and will allow two-way conversations without an email address (Huge thanks to Sky Kelsey and the Apptentive Team!)
    - Targeted Surveys which will allow me to push updates more effectively
    - Many donate-only features are now free
    - Free users who are unable to pay for the donate version can now get all of the donate features by sharing to two out of three of Google+, Facebook, and Twitter
    - Multiple crash and bug fixes
    - Professional Translations for Portuguese (Brazil) and Spanish

Not included in this update, but also figured out how to allow Tasker Commands for PocketSphinx! This will be included in a future update :)

4.5:
    ★ Lots of Force close and bug fixes (sorry these are very complicated issues, still working on them...)
    ★ Additional logging to help understand other issues
    ★ Tweaking of PocketSphinx engine settings for better recognition
    ★ Resolving issues with UserVoice SDK (if you are having trouble sending a log, remember that your log is copied so you can always paste it into the email link below)
    4.4:
    ★ Lots of Force close and bug fixes (sorry this took so long, but they were pretty tricky to figure out)
    ★ (Donate) Pocketsphinx - Option to pause listening during music playback
    ★ Issues with sending support requests should be resolved
    ★ Check if both versions are installed to prevent accidentally using the free version when the donate version is installed
    4.3:
    ★ Force close and Can't Reach Google fixes (Thanks for all the logs! If you are still having this issue please email me. Sorry it has taken so long to fix these, but it is actually a very complicated issue which has many sources)
    ★ Shake sensitivity fixed
    ★ Bug fixes & performance improvements
    4.2:
    ★ Force close and Can't Reach Google fixes (if you are still having this issue please email me)
    ★ Crash reporting added to help fix future crashes. This requires the Internet permission, which is why I added it. Please know that based on my privacy policy (http://OpenMic.RSenApps.com/privacypolicy.html) I cannot and never will upload any data without the user's consent
    ★ Native contact us, knowledge base, and future ideas, just click the Support button. This makes it easier to report issues...

4.1:
    ★ Force close and Can't Reach Google fixes (if you are still having this issue please email me)
    ★ Huge Apk/install size fixed
    ★ Various bug fixes...

Version 4.0 ICS (I Crave [Pocket]Sphinx):
    ★ PocketSphinx Speech Engine Integrated. PocketSphinx is a much faster, more reliable, and more battery efficient speech recognition engine and can now be used with Open Mic+ (Tasker commands are not supported yet...)

What this means:
    - Faster, more reliable recognition
    - Significantly reduced battery and memory usage
    - Volume muting bugs resolved
    - Recognition during music playback
    - (Donate) Customize sensitivity

★ (Donate) Read out SMS messages when Open Mic+ is running (useful while driving)
    ★ Shake phone to activate
    ★ Loads of bug fixes and performance improvements
    ★ New Language: Finnish (Thanks to: Jaakko Salminen)

WHAT'S DIFFERENT IN THE DONATE VERSION
    Hi, my name is Ryan Senanayake and I'm a Junior still in high school. As the amount of time I have spent on this project grows to more than 1000 hours, I need to better justify the time I spend on development. The Free version will in no way be hobbled and will continue to receive bug fixes + performance/battery improvements, but from now on, new features will be added to the Donate version. It will only cost $2 and if you are not able to spend this, just shoot me an email and I'll send you one for free.
    does this consume battery life?

No it enables solar charging via front camera.
    Here is latest APK I pulled from the site a few hours ago
    First working prototype of PocketSphinx integration completed! I'm not going to lie, once this is fully working it is going to be awesome. Recognition time is now so fast that it seems instantaneous. Even from a screen off mode, Google Now is open in less than a second. Also battery consumption is far less due to now fully (instead of offline-capable) recognition and recognition accuracy also seems to be far improved as well! RAM usage is down an easy 50% though I haven't been able to run comprehensive tests! Finally on a side note, recognition now works during music playback and all problems due to muting volumes are now solved as these hacks are no longer necessary!

If anybody wants the update now, shoot me an email (tickets@rsenapps.uservoice.com), I'm not really at a point where I need testers, but if you are dying to try it, let me know :)

Also I have a question of how to precede with foreign language interpretation. Right now I'm building PocketSphinx with an English dictionary and all custom hotphrases need to be English words. Is this a problem? Can I completely ditch Google Speech Recognition and all of its problems or should I keep including it?
    Version 4.0 ICS (I Crave [Pocket]Sphinx): #OpenMic+
    ★ PocketSphinx Speech Engine Integrated. PocketSphinx is a much faster, more reliable, and more battery efficient speech recognition engine and can now be used with Open Mic+ (Tasker commands are not supported yet...)

What this means:
    - Faster, more reliable recognition
    - Significantly reduced battery and memory usage
    - Volume muting bugs resolved
    - Recognition during music playback
    - (Donate) Customize sensitivity

★ (Donate) Read out SMS messages when Open Mic+ is running (useful while driving)
    ★ Shake phone to activate
    ★ Loads of bug fixes and performance improvements
    ★ New Language: Finnish (Thanks to: Jaakko Salminen)

Update pushed now, make take awhile (usually 2 hours) for Google's servers to update
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.RSen.OpenMic.Pheonix