[APP] NoLED v6.0.19 - Use the AMOLED screen for incoming notifications

Search This thread

maxpd

Sep 18, 2011
Hi,

I wiped my phone, installed noled with titanium backup.

Since this time no led seems to use the proximity sensor also if i deacitivate it. If something lies on the sensor and a message arrives, the display shows the message symbol for 8 seconds (as defined in the settings) and then the whole display lights up for 3 seconds. Then it turns completely dark.

How can i solve this problem? I backuped the settings. Then i deleted NoLED. Reinstalled it and used the internal restore function. Same problem.

Greetings
maxpd

madmack

Hi,

I wiped my phone, installed noled with titanium backup.

Since this time no led seems to use the proximity sensor also if i deacitivate it. If something lies on the sensor and a message arrives, the display shows the message symbol for 8 seconds (as defined in the settings) and then the whole display lights up for 3 seconds. Then it turns completely dark.

How can i solve this problem? I backuped the settings. Then i deleted NoLED. Reinstalled it and used the internal restore function. Same problem.

Greetings
maxpd

go to battery saving features > notification timeout > and select "no timeout"

maxpd

Sep 18, 2011
Unfortunately this is selected :-( So, no change.

If i deactivate the proximity sensor, then it stays. Thats the normal function.
If i activate the sensor to turn screen off during the time my phone is in my pocket, It discards the NoLED notification completely.
If i activate the sensor to discard the NoLED notification completely. The sensor doesn't work at all.

Last edited:

madmack

Unfortunately this is selected :-( So, no change.

If i deactivate the proximity sensor, then it stays. Thats the normal function.
If i activate the sensor to turn screen off during the time my phone is in my pocket, It discards the NoLED notification completely.
If i activate the sensor to discard the NoLED notification completely. The sensor doesn't work at all.

strange. what rom/device are you using?

try one more thing, uninstall and reinstall. only this time don't select "restore data". that data file could be the culprit.

maxpd

Sep 18, 2011
Mhh, this worked. But I wanted to avoid this way :)

How is it about images of contacts for SMS of Thirt Party Apps.

madmack

Mhh, this worked. But I wanted to avoid this way :)

How is it about images of contacts for SMS of Thirt Party Apps.

the photos will be displayed if you have sms checked under toggle notifications. they will not work if you have the 3rd party app checked under monitored apps. basically NoLED will need to process that sms message manually.

diveganesh

Dec 6, 2011
Love this app, thank you so much.

I have a quick query with gmail notification. Let's say the I receive an email, NO LED pops up the icon on my Galaxy S2 Skyrocket (not rooted). If I access this new email on another device, let's say my desktop, the phone seems to wake up to the lock screen and stays this way till it times out. Assuming that this is draining some battery, wondering if there is a way to prevent this "waking up".

Thanks in advance.

madmack

Love this app, thank you so much.

I have a quick query with gmail notification. Let's say the I receive an email, NO LED pops up the icon on my Galaxy S2 Skyrocket (not rooted). If I access this new email on another device, let's say my desktop, the phone seems to wake up to the lock screen and stays this way till it times out. Assuming that this is draining some battery, wondering if there is a way to prevent this "waking up".

Thanks in advance.

NoLED figures out about these read emails and dismisses itself. It does not attempt to turn the screen off so it lets the Android defaults take care of that for you. This should still consume less battery than if you'd have NoLED display a notification on the screen continuously. If you still prefer NoLED not to automatically dismiss these gmail notifications, then I recommend unchecking your email accounts from under toggle notifications > emails and then check Gmail under Monitored Apps.

diveganesh

Dec 6, 2011
NoLED figures out about these read emails and dismisses itself. It does not attempt to turn the screen off so it lets the Android defaults take care of that for you. This should still consume less battery than if you'd have NoLED display a notification on the screen continuously. If you still prefer NoLED not to automatically dismiss these gmail notifications, then I recommend unchecking your email accounts from under toggle notifications > emails and then check Gmail under Monitored Apps.

Thanks for the reply. I like that the Gmail notifications are dismissed if I've read them on another device, that's real nice. I'd like to rephrase my question with this sequence of events:

1. Screen off
2. New Gmail, NoLED mail icon comes up
3. Read Gmail on other device
4. NoLED recognises this and turns off mail icon (dismisses itself as you put it)
5. Screen turns on
6. Screen turns off after default timeout

Now, at Step 5, is there a way to ensue that the screen dos not come on since it was not on at Step 1? In normal usage, while working at my computer for instance during the day, I see my phone screen switch on every now and then (because of what I've described above) and hence my question.

Yes, I understand that I could turn off NoLED while I'm at my desktop using the timing feature (I use do it overnight), but then I'd need to turn it on when I step away for a meeting etc. which doesn't really work.

Hope this clarifies my question. Thanks again and FWIW I've donated to you, there's no reason why this should be free.

gollyzila

Aug 27, 2011
Thanks for the reply. I like that the Gmail notifications are dismissed if I've read them on another device, that's real nice. I'd like to rephrase my question with this sequence of events:

1. Screen off
4. NoLED recognises this and turns off mail icon (dismisses itself as you put it)
5. Screen turns on

Now, at Step 5, is there a way to ensue that the screen dos not come on since it was not on at Step 1? In normal usage, while working at my computer for instance during the day, I see my phone screen switch on every now and then (because of what I've described above) and hence my question.

Yes, I understand that I could turn off NoLED while I'm at my desktop using the timing feature (I use do it overnight), but then I'd need to turn it on when I step away for a meeting etc. which doesn't really work.

Hope this clarifies my question. Thanks again and FWIW I've donated to you, there's no reason why this should be free.

Starting at Step 2 your screen was on. When NoLED is dismissed it shows the lockscreen. Because of the contrasting brightness of NoLED and your lock screen it seems to you that the screen turns on.

Reactions: diveganesh

madmack

1. Screen off
5. Screen turns on

I understand. Thing is, there isn't a reliable way to "switch screen off" using the standard android APIs. The methods I found were a workaround and hackish (read: most likely won't work on all devices), so I chose to stay away from implementing it.

Reactions: diveganesh

diveganesh

Dec 6, 2011
Starting at Step 2 your screen was on. When NoLED is dismissed it shows the lockscreen. Because of the contrasting brightness of NoLED and your lock screen it seems to you that the screen turns on.

Thanks for correcting me, that makes sense.

I understand. Thing is, there isn't a reliable way to "switch screen off" using the standard android APIs. The methods I found were a workaround and hackish (read: most likely won't work on all devices), so I chose to stay away from implementing it.

Oh well. it's refreshing to be able to converse with a developer who has a large user community. Thanks again.

Millionas

Oct 6, 2011
Xiaomi Poco F3
Just a tip; use the proximity sensor, and when you are at your workstation, let the phone face down. Then NOled is off and when you need the NOled face the phone up :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

lowspeed

Dec 24, 2006
BTW you should totally make a donation version. I would chip in. Great work.

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

Just a tip; use the proximity sensor, and when you are at your workstation, let the phone face down. Then NOled is off and when you need the NOled face the phone up :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Doesn't the proximity sensor use more battery than a few amoled's pixels?

madmack

BTW you should totally make a donation version. I would chip in. Great work.

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

Doesn't the proximity sensor use more battery than a few amoled's pixels?

just wanted to let you know that you can donate from within the app with a few clicks (it'll route you through the android market). Just click on Donate in the main menu.

The proximity sensor uses a lot less power than your screen. I might be wrong on this, but from my own experience, the number 1 contributor to battery drain on your phone is usually the screen. This is closely followed by the radio/modem when you're in low reception areas. The other peripherals are relatively minor in comparison to these two.

diveganesh

Dec 6, 2011
I had the double click screen to dismiss NoLED enabled...after un-checking this I find that the phone seems to be holding a charge for longer. i said seems....

madmack

I had the double click screen to dismiss NoLED enabled...after un-checking this I find that the phone seems to be holding a charge for longer. i said seems....

What phone do you use ? It would make sense if it's the galaxy s as unchecking that option will allow the touchscreen driver to be shut down while noled is active.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Before asking questions, please read the FAQ.

Introduction:

I saw the idea posted somewhere previously that instead of getting the capacitive lights on, we really should be putting the phone's AMOLED screen to work ! specially that it doesn't consume any backlight energy when displaying a black screen. So I developed an app that does just that: upon receiving a notification, it will display a black screen with a dot or icon somewhere in the screen. I really should put these in bullet points..

Description:

the application does the following:

1. When your phone receives a notification, it switches the screen on and displays a notification. The notification bounces around every 3 seconds (changeable via an option). This will guarantee using different LEDs so that the same ones won't be burned out.

2. You can customize whether to have a dot or an icon for each type of supported notification. Users may also customize the colors of these icons/dots.

3. NoLED will work with SMS/MMS, Gtalk, Gmail, Missed calls, Voicemail, Calendar and K-9 (email client) without any additional permissions. Any other 3rd party software (e.g. Whatsapp, Email app, Yahoo Mail and Hotmail) will need to be checked under Monitored Apps and will require granting Accessibility rights to NoLED.

4. The app runs as a service, after installing, you have two ways to activate the app. (a) by restarting. (b) by loading the widget into your home screen and clicking on it.

5. To get rid of the notification screen, you may use the home or the back key. You can enable dismissal via more keys in the Miscellaneous submenu. Once your notifications are dismissed, all notifications disappear and will not come back up.

I have also logged the touch drivers and saw that although I'm displaying a black screen and setting flags to not respond to touch messages, android is still receiving touch messages when you touch any spot on the screen. This, I imagine, consumes resources! So I disabled the touch drivers when the black screen is active. Dismissing the notifications should reactive the touch drivers. If your screen is unresponsive to touch even after the notification screen is dismissed, a simple restart should take care of it. There is also an option to completely disable that feature. The touch drivers are only disabled on the Samsung Galaxy S variants, all other devices are still receptive to touch events.

Now the touchscreen drivers were a lot easier to mess around with. The sourcecode given by samsung helped me achieve the activation/deactivation of the screen. Things are not the same with the capacitive buttons. You'll notice that when the black screen is on, if you touch any of the soft buttons, they'll light up (although am suppressing them programatically). On some other devices like the Nexus S, these backlights cannot be switched off once the screen is turned on programatically. This is a bug from Google and more info is in the FAQ.

Video review:

Thank you totallydubbedHD for giving us this neat preview of the app:

Themes:

Want to change the default icons that ship with NoLED?
    Check out Themes:

http://www.devasque.com/noled/themes.php

Official web site:

http://www.devasque.com/noled/

Translations:

NoLED is translated into several languages thanks to our army of volunteers ! More details can be found at: http://www.devasque.com/noled/translations.php

If you think you can help expand that list, please see this link
    I appreciate all the help we can get on this.

Enjoy ! Comments and feedback will be appreciated

Update 8/11/2010: Application is now on the Android Market.

If you like this work and want to motivate and encourage further development, please consider a donation :)
    Thanks

Change log

v6.0.19 6/5/2013
    • Added Vietnamese, updated Italian and Ukranian (Thanks nhh1994, 4lex and Olex)
    • Support Gmail 4.5 and new tabbed inbox
    • NoLED will insert a .nomedia in the custom themes folder so as not to show these themes in your Gallery app

Please go to http://www.devasque.com/noled/change.php for the complete change log.

NoLED Weather

v0.8 10/23/2012
    • Weather should now reflect current city more accurately; it will choose the first returned search result.

v0.7 10/10/2012
    • Weather was not automatically updating after a restart. Now it does.

v0.5 9/13/2012
    • Fixed an issue where geolocator was causing auto-update to stop working.

v0.4 9/6/2012
    • Updated language files
    • Changed weather provider to MSN. Google just quietly killed their APIs :(
    • Changed geolocator timeout to 90 seconds (used to be 20 seconds)

v0.3 1/26/2012
    • Added Geolocation using Wireless networks (no physical GPS will be used).
    • -it will give up wireless location discovery after 20 seconds (will release all wakelocks).
    • -if timedout, weather will query the latest weather location on record.
    • Removed the noled weather icon from the app launcher (i personally found it so ugly and useless). Instead, you access the weather app/plug-in via the NoLED settings under toggle notifications (requires NoLED > v5.0.1b).

FAQ

Please go to http://www.devasque.com/noled/FAQ.php.
    Google decided to pull it off due to the SMS permission it requires and I don't have any time to work around it. You can still download the apk from the OP.
    I'm done coding for the day. v6.0.5b is the product of my work and it's available in the OP. Change log, as usual, is in the 2nd post.

I'll work on adding back some monitored apps features like text filtering and custom icons. With this new menu, I can easily make very fine-tuned custom settings for each monitored app. Done. get v6.0.6b instead.
    just released v6.0.0a. It basically takes NoLED to the next level. More information on the 2nd post.

I'll appreciate any feedback I can get :)