Search This thread

trevd

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 19, 2011
Hull
Samsung Galaxy Tab 4
FIRST TIME HERE? - SKIP DOWN AND READ IN FULL THE [ ORIGINAL THREAD CONTENT ]

Reference Section:
As this thread as evolved, Folks have contributed various methods they've used to fix/workaround this problem - Credit and Thanks to those members.

Black6spdZ - Information on Physical Removal of the Internal Memory Info - Installing CM9
^_Pepe_^ - Guide: Installing CM10 using Heimdall
TrevD ( Me :) )Alternative mount point Information for devices with intermittent issues
goofey2012 - External SDCard partitioning information.

PROTIP - GET THE LOGCAT:
adb is possible one of the most powerful tools you have at your disposal when diagnosing the source of bootloops. If you are stuck in a bootloop grab a good sized sample of what the device is doing by running.
Code:
adb logcat

PROTIP 2 - DON'T FEAR THE LOGCAT:
During a bootloop the ouput of logcat loops around, Running logcat for a couple of minutes and then read the output, It is written in plain english ( at least on English Language Roms :) ) and will explain what is causing your bootloop.

PROTIP3 - FIND OUT HARDWARE STATUS
Another useful adb command is dmesg, this is the output from the kernel, the kernel amongst other thing manages the interactation between the software and the hardware, you can normally find out if your sdcard has failed by running
Code:
adb shell dmesg
Run this command early in the boot sequence, if you see a line similar to the one below then there's a good chance you're sdcard has failed
Code:
[COLOR="Red"]<3>[    4.802004] mmc0: error -110 whilst initialising MMC card[/COLOR]

[ ORIGINAL THREAD CONTENT ]

DISCLAIMER: DON'T TRY THIS IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO - I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING - IF YOU ARE UNSURE ABOUT ANYTHING - ASK

I recently fixed a P1000 with a corrupt internal sdcard - I thought I'd share my experience as unbelievable as It sounds, given the size of the internet
I could not find this procedure /hack anywhere

The Symptoms
  1. When Booting the device got stuck at the Samsung Logo Screen
  2. ODin/Heimdall fails on any rom which include an hidden.rfs and movinand.mst
  3. ODin/Heimdall report success when flashing flashing roms without hidden.rfs and movinand.mst
  4. Recovery Mode reports errors after flashing. The error is different depending on which rom was flashed but are all related to file system functions.

Internal MMC checksum verify failed.
    E: failed to mount /system (invalid argument)
    E: failed to mount /dbdata (Invalid argument)
    E: /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 on /data failed: No such file or directory
    E: copy_dbdata_media:Can't mount /dbdata

IMPORTANT: THESE ARE NOT THE ONLY ERRORS AND ARE EXAMPLES. IF YOUR ERROR IS DIFFERENT THEN PLEASE SHARE IT.
    THE MAJOIRITY OF THE TIME THE ERROR WILL MENTION WORDS LIKE:
    mount
    mmcblk
    directiory not existing.

The Problem
The recovery errors alone are not enough to diagnose the problem as they can also occur if flashing has been carried out incorrectly.

The main pointer to an Internal SDCard Failure is the inability to flash hidden.rfs and movinand.mst
You should be able to confirm this to be the case by running dmesg on the device using adb from the command prompt of your computer

If you were luckly enough to have left USB Debbugging on than you should be able the run the following command
while the device is booting loop otherwise run it ) while you are in recovery
Code:
adb shell "dmesg | grep mmc0"
My output contained the following line:
Code:
[COLOR="Red"]<3>[    4.802004] mmc0: error -110 whilst initialising MMC card[/COLOR]

Another way to check is to use adb to view the devices file system.
Code:
adb shell "ls /dev/block"
Do this WITHOUT an external sdcard.
Any Reference to mmcblk will be missing.

Normally you should be able to RMA this as it is an hardware failure.
However as warranties expire or you just can't be bothered to wait here is an alternative solution

The Solution is fairly straight forward, However It's not a repair and it is not possible to recover any data from the Internal memory.
So You've lost your Angry Birds Hi-Score forever.

That's the bad news. The Good News is, You've still got what will soon be a working Tablet again and a chance to get an even higher score.

Note: The Following description maybe considered by some as a little heavy on Technical Details.
Unfortunately. we are taking advantage of how the Linux Kernel Interacts with hardware ports and how the linux sysfs Virtual filesystem works, It's the nature of the beast I'm afraid

The Solution

In one sentence. We will use the external SD Card to store and load The Android OS.

How Do You Plan to pull that trick off?
This is made possible because of how the Linux kernel manages and addresses devices of the same type. Linux gives each device a number which increments by 1 each time.
The Hardware can control what Linux Sees. I.E the Internal Memory is always loaded first and given and index of 0 [ remember computers : Start Countong a zero :) ]
After trying and failing to access from the internal sdcard the Kernel quite sensibly looks for the first functioning SDCard on the System and creates it in the /dev tree with a index of zero for that Class of device. It just so happends that the first (and only) Sdcard on the System is now physically located in the external SDCard Slot.

So What Now?
Now we have to play nice with whatever rom is on the device. which means providing the number of partitions that the rom expects. In my case It was 3.
So go ahead ad format and parition your SDCard.
There is nothing to stop you having more than the base amount with what ever file systems you please as long as the Kernel Can provide a mount point to the device than You're laughing.

This Partition Below table was suitabke for UK Roms. The Fat32 Partition is what will appear when the device is connected to Windows as a disk drive.
From what I recall that is the only reason for having a fat filesystem on the Card. So If you're a Linux Junkie then You should be able to pick what Filesystem is good for you. Format the external sdcard with 3 parititions (you can probably get away with 2) I used a 32 GB card with the follwing

Partition 1: 28 GB Fat 32 (sdcard partition)
Partition 2: 4 GB ext4 (data partition)
Partition 3: 100MB Fat 32 (preload partition)
I Used Heimdall for this and I flashed everything. Odin should do the Job as long you remove hidden.rfs and movinand.mst from the tar balls

Code:
heimdall flash --repartition --pit gt-p1000_mr.pit --primary-boot boot.bin \
--cache cache.rfs \
--factoryfs factoryfs.rfs --modem modem.bin \
--param param.lfs \
--secondary-boot Sbl.bin \
--kernel zImage --recovery zImage

After That I Flash a custom kernel which If memory serves enabled the CWM Recovery. The Kernel I used was
one from Team Overcome Kernel 4 which can be downloaded from the teamovercome download page
The choice of kernel isn't any endorsement........ Actully I will say. Use Team Overcome Kernel. It Works!
Seriously any custom kernel should do the trick and In Theory even a stock kernel could be make to work [See Notes]

Boot To Recovery ( You should now see Clockwork Recovery Mod )
edit /system/etc/vold.fstab on the device to look like the following. You can use the adb pull command if you are unsure how to get at the file.

[WINDOWS USERS]
Linux and Windows use different newline characters. If you are editing the file on windows make sure you are using an editor suitable for the task (i.e UltraEdit or Notepad++)

Code:
# internal sdcard 
{

ums_path = /sys/devices/platform/usb_mass_storage/lun0/file
	asec = disable
	discard = disable
	format_option = -r 1558
}
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard 1 /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.2/mmc_host/mmc1

# externel sdcard
{
	asec = enable
}
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard/external_sd auto /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.2/mmc_host/mmc2 /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.2/mmc_host/mmc1

One final Reboot should make your Still broken but functioning tablet a little less a bitter pill to swallow (see what I did there)

Note: First boot takes a while. if you are worried or think it is boot looping, you can watch the output using adb logcat
You should now have a working galaxy with the added bonus of a re-sizable data partition.

Tool List:
A Micro SD Card - The Bigger The Better , Size and Speed are everrything as this is where you everything pm your tablet will live. I would definitely pitch for a 32GB Class 10.
A Method of formatting and Partitioning the SDCard. - If your a windows user than you need a method of formatting ext4 partitions. I 'm unsure of the current state if the art regarding that.
A Custom Recovery Image. Clockwork Recovery Mod or something similiar. You can use fasboot from the android sdk to flash it to you device
A Custom Kernel Image. with support for the Ext 4and Fat32 Filesystems.
The Next Step Is To Flash A Rom to the devoce . You Should be able to flash any rom to it as long as Your sdcard Is formatted correctly
I Flash Latest Stock Rom at the time and

[Advanced User and Masochists]

You Can use you own custom recovery and kernel if you are so Inclined.

For Extra "Going To Try This Because It's There! an I can" Points
Retain A full Stock Experience. When Booting From SD.

It Should be Possible, If can find a way to format the sdcard partitions to Samsung Proprietary RFS File System.
This was also the reason a custom kernel was used ;

Last edited:

calbarran

Feb 18, 2011
Unsucessful

Trying this with latinamerica Galaxy Tab (P1000) but with no success, at least at the moment. I tried humberOS kernel (For Latam) phone but stucked at a permanent boot loop. I was sucessful with odin and a tarball without hidden file. Then zimage (HumberOS).

How did you change the vsftab file? Any specific procedure for this?

Audiofreq

Nov 14, 2008
Hi,

Thanks for posting this. Was a great shortcut through my problem.

The ROM i tried it with though wont let me type with the keyboard...i just get "null" for every key...although curiously i can backspace each one of letters in "n-u-l-l".

I did this late last night and i think somehow i have used a ROM from somewhere random in europe by mistake and not got the locals setup or something...i'm just going to try a different ROM though because i'm confused as to where i got it now...

calbarran

Feb 18, 2011
Succesful

Succesful with LatinAmerica Version Gingerbread from Humberos.

However galaxy tab doesnt recognize sdcard partition, so i cant install anything at all.
download files or take pics.

Any tips?

crayo

Apr 7, 2012
corrupted internal sdcard

Hello guys. I have a problem with my Samsung Galaxy Tab, my internal sdcard is corrupted :(. I tried to use Odin as well as heimdall to flash my device with any custom firmware, it didn't work (no internal sdcard). Finally I tried the MIUI firmware (I tried CM7 as well but didn't like it) based on CWM Recovery v5.0.2.7. Somehow it recognised my external sdcard as internal one :). As a result I have two partitions in my system that correspond to my external sdcard:

Code:
C:\tools>adb shell
~ # fdisk -l /dev/block/mmcblk0
fdisk -l /dev/block/mmcblk0
Disk /dev/block/mmcblk0: 16.0 GB, 16021192704 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1947 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
              Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks  Id System
/dev/block/mmcblk0p1               1        1818    14597656   c Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2            1818        1948     1048039+ 83 Linux
~ # parted /dev/block/mmcblk0
parted /dev/block/mmcblk0
GNU Parted 1.8.8.1.179-aef3
Using /dev/block/mmcblk0
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) print
print
print
Model: SD NCard (sd/mmc)
Disk /dev/block/mmcblk0: 16.0GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
 1      512B    14.9GB  14.9GB  primary  fat32        lba
 2      14.9GB  16.0GB  1073MB  primary  ext4

But the system see only partition 2 (ext4) as an internal memory. Partition 1 is missed although I can see it in recovery mod and install firmware from it. sdcard is unavailable in the android system. So I can download and use only small aplications that don't require sdcard. But I can't deal with apps, that asks for sdcard. I need to make MIUI see my partition 1 as an sdcard, but I don't know how to do that. I suppose the solution is in editing
"/system/build.prop"

Code:
# begin build properties
# autogenerated by buildinfo.sh
ro.build.id=MIUI-XJ
ro.build.display.id=MIUI.2.3.10
ro.build.version.incremental=2.3.10
ro.build.version.sdk=10
ro.build.version.codename=REL
ro.build.version.release=2.3.7
ro.build.date=Fri Mar 10 11:56:49 CST 2012
ro.build.date.utc=1331265409
ro.build.type=userdebug
ro.build.user=xjmod
ro.build.host=builder
ro.build.tags=test-keys
ro.product.model=GT-P1000
ro.product.brand=samsung
ro.product.name=P1000
ro.product.device=galaxytab
ro.product.board=GT-P1000
ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v7a
ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi
ro.product.manufacturer=Samsung
ro.product.locale.language=en_us
ro.product.locale.region=US
ro.wifi.channels=
ro.board.platform=s5pc110
# ro.build.product is obsolete; use ro.product.device
ro.build.product=galaxytab
# Do not try to parse ro.build.description or .fingerprint
ro.build.description=galaxytab-userdebug 2.3.7 MIUI 2.3.10 test-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=samsung/galaxytab/galaxytab:2.3.7/MIUI/2.3.10:userdebug/test-keys
# end build properties
#
# system.prop for smdkc110
#
rild.libpath=/system/lib/libsec-ril.so
rild.libargs=-d[SPACE]/dev/s3c2410_serial3
ro.sf.lcd_density=240
#
# ADDITIONAL_BUILD_PROPERTIES
#
ro.opengles.version=131072
wifi.interface=eth0
wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=20
ro.telephony.ril_class=samsung
# mobiledata.interfaces=eth0,pdp0
mobiledata.interfaces=pdp0,eth0,gprs,ppp0
dalvik.vm.heapsize=48m
ro.com.google.locationfeatures=1
ro.com.google.networklocation=1
ro.kernel.android.checkjni=0
dalvik.vm.checkjni=false
ro.removablemounts=/mnt/sdcard/external_sd
keyguard.no_require_sim=true
ro.com.android.dateformat=MM-dd-yyyy
ro.com.android.dataroaming=false
ro.ril.hsxpa=1
ro.ril.gprsclass=10
ro.url.legal=
ro.url.legal.android_privacy=
ro.com.google.clientidbase=android-google
ro.com.android.wifi-watchlist=GoogleGuest
ro.setupwizard.enterprise_mode=1
ro.setupwizard.mode=OPTIONAL
ro.com.android.dataroaming=false
ro.ril.enable.managed.roaming=1
ro.ril.oem.nosim.ecclist=911,112,999,000,08,118,120,122,110,119,995
ro.ril.emc.mode=2
persist.sys.mitalk.enable=false
ro.moddevice=P1000
ro.config.ringtone=MI.ogg
ro.config.notification_sound=FadeIn.ogg
ro.config.alarm_alert=ClassicAlarm.ogg
ro.config.sms_received_sound=FadeIn.ogg
ro.config.sms_delivered_sound=MessageComplete.ogg
dalvik.vm.lockprof.threshold=500
dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags=m=y
net.bt.name=Android
dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt
#
# XJ ADDED BUILD PROPERTIES
#
ro.telephony.call_ring.multiple=false
ro.telephony.call_ring.delay=1000
ro.additionalmounts=/mnt/emmc
ro.phone_storage=1
ro.gps.soket=/data/gpspipe
ro.sf.hwrotation=90
ro.modversion=MIUI-XJ-GT-P1000
ro.setupwizard.enable_bypass=1
media.stagefright.enable-meta=false
media.stagefright.enable-scan=false
media.stagefright.enable-http=true
media.stagefright.enable-rtsp=false
stagefright.enable-player=false
phone.ril.classname=com.android.internal.telephony.SamsungRIL
dev.sfbootcomplete=0
# LTTLDVL
video.accelerate.hw=1
ro.media.enc.jpeg.quality=100
ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1
debug.performance.tuning=1

and "/system/etc/vold.fstab"
Code:
## Vold 2.0 Generic fstab
## - San Mehat (san@android.com)
## 
#######################
## Regular device mount
##
## Format: dev_mount <label> <mount_point> <part> <sysfs_path1...> 
## label        - Label for the volume
## mount_point  - Where the volume will be mounted
## part         - Partition # (1 based), or 'auto' for first usable partition.
## <sysfs_path> - List of sysfs paths to source devices
######################
# internal sdcard
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard 1 /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.0/mmc_host/mmc3
# external sdcard
dev_mount sdcard/external_sd /mnt/sdcard/external_sd auto /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.2/mmc_host/mmc1 /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.2/mmc_host/mmc2
#end line ## keep this line

I tried to correct these two files in different ways but no result at all. I know that the solution of my problem is very close and I suppose it is simple. I'll be glad to get any sugestion in solving my problem.

Reactions: kmbd

waqasshahzad1986

Jun 15, 2011
Lahore
Facing same kind of problem , but tab isn't p1000 , its Spirint SPH-P100 , its got 2GB.

Above Method will only work if you have modified kernel.

calbarran

Feb 18, 2011
what is the solution?

So, what is the solution or a 100% valid workaround for this? Maybe it is necessary to replace motherboard or something. Anyway this is for gingerbread and i need ics. Any ideas? Or maybe some examples files for ics? I Really appreciate your help.

priyana

Jul 21, 2007
there is no ICS that you can flash using Heimdall/Odin yet. So you can't use this method.

waqasshahzad1986

Jun 15, 2011
Lahore
This method can be used for ICS as long as your kernel supports all the formats (ext2,ext3.ext4) . Stock kernel do not support ext3 or ext4 ,so if you trying on stock kernel you should try ext2 partition on you sd card.

aaugus

Jan 29, 2007
I tried to put Overcome Kernel 4 on my TAB, odin flashed it without a problem, but on device there is still old recovery. I cannot root my device as TAB won't come to normal screen it loops at samsung screen. Any solution ?

Thanks.

priyana

Jul 21, 2007
Maybe you need to restock to GB stock safe v5 with repartition first.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using XDA

aaugus

Jan 29, 2007
I allready tried with gb safe rom, It hangs at hidden file. After that i install kernel. Phone still hangs at samsung sign., When I put in recoveri mod it shows normal recovery not CW recovery.

Anythig else I can try ?

Thanks.

calbarran

Feb 18, 2011
ics partition scheme and file

Well, hoping there is a partition scheme and files for ics. I really want ics in my galaxy tab with internal sd damaged. Who knows about this?

trevd

Jul 19, 2011
Hull
Samsung Galaxy Tab 4
Hi Folks.... The OP here. I was just looking over some of my old threads and notice this one was active. Maybe I should subscribe to it :)

The actual device was returned a very happy owner I never see him without now! but It does mean I no longer have It as a reference, so I can't answer Rom Specific questions but I can flesh the details out a bit,

The Tab was a P1000 which had been acquired in the middle east. I received it in a bootlooping with stock recovery because I'm that Tech Guy that people know..... I actually knew sod all about Hardware at that point but It's just a computer at the end of the day so I let the fun begin.

Looking back at the original post, It's definitely an How To: :)

I'll update the Original Post, to reflect the greater understanding I have as to the Whys of this fix!

Also anyone / everyone whos had this problem post the dmesg output as an attachment.
There is nothing worst than scrolling through a cople of post containing full dmesg/logcat dumps and one line replies which re-quote the full post. :)

Last edited:

Black6spdZ

May 7, 2006
Waterford MI
Question 1, how did you determine the number of and type of Ext2,3,4 partitions to create on the SD?

Q2, are you saying if you Odin flash a ROM it will automatically install it to the SD?

Q3, could a GB or ICS CWM ROM be modified so that the appropriate files are modified before hand and then just flashed with recovery?

trevd

Jul 19, 2011
Hull
Samsung Galaxy Tab 4
Hi Black6spdZ

Thanks for the questions, they have helped In jogging my memory , I assume you have got an Internal flash failure?

Question 1, how did you determine the number of and type of Ext2,3,4 partitions to create on the SD?

A: I believe this is based on the pit (Partition Infomation Table) file which in this case was gt-p1000_mr.pit. However I just stopped when the process stopped ask for them :)

Q2, are you saying if you Odin flash a ROM it will automatically install it to the SD?
A: The flash process flashes to the first SD/MMC Card which after an Internal Failure is the one in the external card slot

Q3, could a GB or ICS CWM ROM be modified so that the appropriate files are modified before hand and then just flashed with recovery?

I don't know is the short answer. I recall having trouble locating a custom rom and all the stocks where In one placeplus the person I was looking at this for was new to android so stock felt the right way to go.

I've updated the original post, I seemed to have messed up the formatting which won't have helped anyone I the slightest. Sorry about that.

Like I've mentioned I no longer have the device in my possession and my main device(S) are HTC and the moment. I have emai that guy who tab it is so I can try the flashing ICS to it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    FIRST TIME HERE? - SKIP DOWN AND READ IN FULL THE [ ORIGINAL THREAD CONTENT ]

Reference Section:
    As this thread as evolved, Folks have contributed various methods they've used to fix/workaround this problem - Credit and Thanks to those members.

Black6spdZ - Information on Physical Removal of the Internal Memory Info - Installing CM9
    ^_Pepe_^ - Guide: Installing CM10 using Heimdall
    TrevD ( Me :) )Alternative mount point Information for devices with intermittent issues
    goofey2012 - External SDCard partitioning information.

PROTIP - GET THE LOGCAT:
    adb is possible one of the most powerful tools you have at your disposal when diagnosing the source of bootloops. If you are stuck in a bootloop grab a good sized sample of what the device is doing by running.
    Code:
    adb logcat

PROTIP 2 - DON'T FEAR THE LOGCAT:
    During a bootloop the ouput of logcat loops around, Running logcat for a couple of minutes and then read the output, It is written in plain english ( at least on English Language Roms :) ) and will explain what is causing your bootloop.

PROTIP3 - FIND OUT HARDWARE STATUS
    Another useful adb command is dmesg, this is the output from the kernel, the kernel amongst other thing manages the interactation between the software and the hardware, you can normally find out if your sdcard has failed by running
    Code:
    adb shell dmesg
    Run this command early in the boot sequence, if you see a line similar to the one below then there's a good chance you're sdcard has failed
    Code:

[ ORIGINAL THREAD CONTENT ]

DISCLAIMER: DON'T TRY THIS IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO - I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING - IF YOU ARE UNSURE ABOUT ANYTHING - ASK

I recently fixed a P1000 with a corrupt internal sdcard - I thought I'd share my experience as unbelievable as It sounds, given the size of the internet
    I could not find this procedure /hack anywhere

The Symptoms
    1. When Booting the device got stuck at the Samsung Logo Screen
    2. ODin/Heimdall fails on any rom which include an hidden.rfs and movinand.mst
    3. ODin/Heimdall report success when flashing flashing roms without hidden.rfs and movinand.mst
    4. Recovery Mode reports errors after flashing. The error is different depending on which rom was flashed but are all related to file system functions.

Internal MMC checksum verify failed.
      E: failed to mount /system (invalid argument)
      E: failed to mount /dbdata (Invalid argument)
      E: /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 on /data failed: No such file or directory
      E: copy_dbdata_media:Can't mount /dbdata

IMPORTANT: THESE ARE NOT THE ONLY ERRORS AND ARE EXAMPLES. IF YOUR ERROR IS DIFFERENT THEN PLEASE SHARE IT.
      THE MAJOIRITY OF THE TIME THE ERROR WILL MENTION WORDS LIKE:
      mount
      mmcblk
      directiory not existing.

The Problem
    The recovery errors alone are not enough to diagnose the problem as they can also occur if flashing has been carried out incorrectly.

The main pointer to an Internal SDCard Failure is the inability to flash hidden.rfs and movinand.mst
    You should be able to confirm this to be the case by running dmesg on the device using adb from the command prompt of your computer

If you were luckly enough to have left USB Debbugging on than you should be able the run the following command
    while the device is booting loop otherwise run it ) while you are in recovery
    Code:
    adb shell "dmesg | grep mmc0"
    My output contained the following line:
    Code:

Another way to check is to use adb to view the devices file system.
    Code:
    adb shell "ls /dev/block"
    Do this WITHOUT an external sdcard.
    Any Reference to mmcblk will be missing.

Normally you should be able to RMA this as it is an hardware failure.
    However as warranties expire or you just can't be bothered to wait here is an alternative solution

The Solution is fairly straight forward, However It's not a repair and it is not possible to recover any data from the Internal memory.
    So You've lost your Angry Birds Hi-Score forever.

That's the bad news. The Good News is, You've still got what will soon be a working Tablet again and a chance to get an even higher score.

Note: The Following description maybe considered by some as a little heavy on Technical Details.
    Unfortunately. we are taking advantage of how the Linux Kernel Interacts with hardware ports and how the linux sysfs Virtual filesystem works, It's the nature of the beast I'm afraid

The Solution

In one sentence. We will use the external SD Card to store and load The Android OS.

How Do You Plan to pull that trick off?
    This is made possible because of how the Linux kernel manages and addresses devices of the same type. Linux gives each device a number which increments by 1 each time.
    The Hardware can control what Linux Sees. I.E the Internal Memory is always loaded first and given and index of 0 [ remember computers : Start Countong a zero :) ]
    After trying and failing to access from the internal sdcard the Kernel quite sensibly looks for the first functioning SDCard on the System and creates it in the /dev tree with a index of zero for that Class of device. It just so happends that the first (and only) Sdcard on the System is now physically located in the external SDCard Slot.

So What Now?
    Now we have to play nice with whatever rom is on the device. which means providing the number of partitions that the rom expects. In my case It was 3.
    So go ahead ad format and parition your SDCard.
    There is nothing to stop you having more than the base amount with what ever file systems you please as long as the Kernel Can provide a mount point to the device than You're laughing.

This Partition Below table was suitabke for UK Roms. The Fat32 Partition is what will appear when the device is connected to Windows as a disk drive.
    From what I recall that is the only reason for having a fat filesystem on the Card. So If you're a Linux Junkie then You should be able to pick what Filesystem is good for you. Format the external sdcard with 3 parititions (you can probably get away with 2) I used a 32 GB card with the follwing

Partition 1: 28 GB Fat 32 (sdcard partition)
    Partition 2: 4 GB ext4 (data partition)
    Partition 3: 100MB Fat 32 (preload partition)
    I Used Heimdall for this and I flashed everything. Odin should do the Job as long you remove hidden.rfs and movinand.mst from the tar balls

Code:
    heimdall flash --repartition --pit gt-p1000_mr.pit --primary-boot boot.bin \
    --cache cache.rfs \
    --factoryfs factoryfs.rfs --modem modem.bin \
    --param param.lfs \
    --secondary-boot Sbl.bin \
    --kernel zImage --recovery zImage

After That I Flash a custom kernel which If memory serves enabled the CWM Recovery. The Kernel I used was
    one from Team Overcome Kernel 4 which can be downloaded from the teamovercome download page
    The choice of kernel isn't any endorsement........ Actully I will say. Use Team Overcome Kernel. It Works!
    Seriously any custom kernel should do the trick and In Theory even a stock kernel could be make to work [See Notes]

Boot To Recovery ( You should now see Clockwork Recovery Mod )
    edit /system/etc/vold.fstab on the device to look like the following. You can use the adb pull command if you are unsure how to get at the file.

[WINDOWS USERS]
    Linux and Windows use different newline characters. If you are editing the file on windows make sure you are using an editor suitable for the task (i.e UltraEdit or Notepad++)

Code:
    # internal sdcard 
    {

asec = disable
    	discard = disable
    	format_option = -r 1558
    }
    dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard 1 /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.2/mmc_host/mmc1

# externel sdcard
    {
    	asec = enable
    }
    dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard/external_sd auto /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.2/mmc_host/mmc2 /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.2/mmc_host/mmc1

One final Reboot should make your Still broken but functioning tablet a little less a bitter pill to swallow (see what I did there)

Note: First boot takes a while. if you are worried or think it is boot looping, you can watch the output using adb logcat
    You should now have a working galaxy with the added bonus of a re-sizable data partition.

Tool List:
    A Micro SD Card - The Bigger The Better , Size and Speed are everrything as this is where you everything pm your tablet will live. I would definitely pitch for a 32GB Class 10.
    A Method of formatting and Partitioning the SDCard. - If your a windows user than you need a method of formatting ext4 partitions. I 'm unsure of the current state if the art regarding that.
    A Custom Recovery Image. Clockwork Recovery Mod or something similiar. You can use fasboot from the android sdk to flash it to you device
    A Custom Kernel Image. with support for the Ext 4and Fat32 Filesystems.
    The Next Step Is To Flash A Rom to the devoce . You Should be able to flash any rom to it as long as Your sdcard Is formatted correctly
    I Flash Latest Stock Rom at the time and

[Advanced User and Masochists]

You Can use you own custom recovery and kernel if you are so Inclined.

For Extra "Going To Try This Because It's There! an I can" Points
    Retain A full Stock Experience. When Booting From SD.

It Should be Possible, If can find a way to format the sdcard partitions to Samsung Proprietary RFS File System.
    This was also the reason a custom kernel was used ;
    I've added some hacks to cm10 that autodetect a missing internal SD and mount things accordingly if things are setup correctly. You can use /data on the sdcard even if the internal has not been removed.

Just format your sdcard with 3 partitions, the first one needs to be FAT, the other 2 will be for data and cache so they need to be ext4. Make the second partition (/data) as large as you want. Then create a file on the FAT partition called "activate_data_on_sdcard" and flash a cm10 nightly.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using xda app-developers app
    the 2GB internal flash chip is only for storing cache and data mounted from mmcblk0p1 and mmcblk0p2. Here is a dissasembly guide http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-Teardown/4103/1 The flash chip is marked SanDisk.. cant miss it. Crude I know but I applied a hot soldering iron to the top middle of the IC and added a bit of solder to help transfer heat through.. worked a small screwdriver under the edge until it popped off. Cleaned up the area with some rubbing alcohol and put it back together. Now that the internal flash is gone the microsd slot is now identified as mmcblk0.. so you need to use a partition tool such as minitool to add two ext3 or 4 partitions and then the rest is fat32 for "sdcard" space. The original partition sizes were ~230mb for cache and ~1.67gb for the data. I just made them an even 512mb and 3.5gb and the left over 12gb as my fat32 partition. The problem now is that once you have these new partitions in place, recovery cant properly mount the sdcard partition to flash cwm roms. After you odin 5.0.2.7 recovery and have it loaded up you adb into the tab and run
    adb shell "echo /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 > /sys/devices/platform/usb_mass_storage/lun0/file"
    this will make the fat32 storage partition open in windows as a usb drive and you can copy your cm9 nightly over

after this issue the command
    adb shell echo ^"" > /sys/devices/platform/usb_mass_storage/lun0/file
    to unmount it.

then issue adb shell mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /sdcard
    to then have the sdcard partition mounted in recovery, then procede to flash zip from sdcard as normal. It will reboot after it converts the filesystems to ext4 and flashes the new recovery and continue to give an error message about waiting for the SD card to mount.. well this wont happen on its own now. You have to hold down the power to force a power off, re-enter recovery "vol-up" and issue adb shell mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /sdcard from adb again to mount the sdcard partition.. then pick the same cm9 nightly zip as before and it should continue and finish this time around. I know this is alot to swallow.. I figured this was a last resort.. no guts no glory right? =)
    Hi Savie,

so far no success, but i feel that i am very close to it.

here is the information related to my internal sd card.

C:\Users\Owner>adb shell /parted /dev/block/mmcblk0 print
    Model: MMC SEM32G (sd/mmc)
    Disk /dev/block/mmcblk0: 31.9GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
    1 32.8kB 29.8GB 29.8GB primary fat32
    2 29.8GB 31.8GB 2043MB primary
    3 31.8GB 31.9GB 105MB primary

and i downloaded mbr0.bin and mbr1.bin from this url http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=31437882&postcount=127

after that executed the following.

dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0 of=C:\mbr0.bin count=512
    dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk1 of=C:\mbr1.bin count=512

after successful execution of above, i restarted my tab i heard one lady voice and my tablet was stuck on samsung screen.

can you please tell me where i did go wrong.

thanks

First i dont care with data so i obey to doing dd command.. data can restore if we have backup on externalSD or pc.. [i lost twice my internalSD so im hopeless to recovery and restore it :lol:]

As long we use overcome kernel and can go to recovery mode..
    I only do this with adb..

#fat.format /dev/block/mmcblk0p1
    #fat.format /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
    #fat.format /dev/block/mmcblk0p3

After that reboot.. :)
    C:\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell ls -l /dev/block/
    brw------- 1 root root 137, 0 Sep 28 12:31 bml0!c
    brw------- 1 root root 137, 1 Sep 28 12:31 bml1
    brw------- 1 root root 139, 9 Sep 28 12:31 tfsr9

Hi mr_dell_boy

Looks like you've got an internal sdcard failure there, as there is nothing in the list that begins mmcblk , You can boot off an external sdcard by following the first post, alternatively you can follow ChrisCTX Guide From the Partition your external SD Card Section onwards as that is more current and he actually owns a device so may be able to answer any further queries more accurately.

Thanks