Status/notification bar disappears

Search This thread

Varlokkur

Sep 20, 2012
My status bar keeps disappearing. It pops back up for a moment, every few seconds, but then disappears again. It's like the device thinks it should be in full screen mode or something. I first experienced it after installing ever note, which went to a full screen display after I logged in. I un installed ever note and re booted twice... the second re boot seemed to fix it. But it just happened again when I launched the xda premium app.
I also notice that it no longer says my name, just "my kindle", in the status bar... before disappearing again. Maybe that element of the launcher is stuck in a cycle???
Anyone else experiencing this or know a fix?

Sent from my KFTT using xda premium

nvrmore100

Sep 21, 2010
I'm seeing the same thing. But, I think it might be worth noting what I have done to mine that may be affecting it:

1) Rooted
2) Installed Google Play
3) Removed my ads (unofficially)

I found if I go to the kindle management page on Amazon.com and change the name of my kindle, it does push it down to the kindle. However, it loses after some time again.

Varlokkur

Sep 20, 2012
So far I have not rooted... just side loaded GMail and Google maps. Amazon cs was not very helpful...told me to swipe down and hit sync, but the problem is that I can't access sync or any of the tools in the status bar

nvrmore100

Sep 21, 2010
OK, the root was what I assumed was causing it. If you haven't really modified yours, then it might just be an bug. Perhaps an update will fix it.

Anyone have a completely stock KFHD and noticed this?

nvrmore100

Sep 21, 2010
I did a cold shutdown and power up, and so far its doing better. I'll see if it decides to act up again. Fingers crossed.

dmullens

Dec 23, 2011
I did a cold shutdown and power up, and so far its doing better. I'll see if it decides to act up again. Fingers crossed.

I think it will do it again for you...I'm having the same problem. I have _not_ rooted, but I have installed Google Maps, Google Drive, Google Mail, Google Maps, and Google Play Books...along with the Google Framework and Google Login. I just noticed this behavior today.

Yesterday I was able to get the Google Framework working with my apps by installing Google Framework and then reinstalling all of the apps that started not working. I'm wondering if it is having Google Framework on the KFHD. I needed Google Framework to get Google Drive working (which is working quite well now).

Be nice to get the status bar back. When I shut down (not sure how to do a reboot), the status bar shows up. Then after a while...it goes away again.

UPDATE: It seems that after I shutdown and restart the notification bar is fine until something tries to write to it. So whenever I get a new notification, it seems to crash the notification bar. I did install USAToday last night. I've uninstalled Google Framework this morning and I'm getting the same behavior. It would be nice to know what is causing it.

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

I uninstalled in the following order:

1) Google Framework
2) UsaToday (since I just downloaded it last night)
3) google Drive
4) Google Mail (when I uninstalled this my notification bar _magically_ came back and has been working ever since.

I don't have time right now, but I will probably reinstall everything to see if I can reproduce the issue and then see if running GMail fixes the issue. I noticed that something was doing a notification which caused the bar to disappear. I wonder if it was some issue with Gmail.... I'll report back later tonight...unless someone else with the issue can verify things.

Last edited:

Varlokkur

Sep 20, 2012
I'm having a hard time reproducing the error. It hasn't recurred since yesterday afternoon. It may be noteworthy that the last time the notification bar disappeared, I opened GMail to send something and the bar reappeared. It has remained since then.
Go figure... I wouldn't worry too much about it being a Google framework issue, though. At least a few people have reported the same problem on the amazon forum.

nvrmore100

Sep 21, 2010
I went through a factory reset today, and redid everything I did previously. The only difference is I did not install the GoogleLoginService.apk as I had before. Thus far I am not experiencing any disappearing notification bar. Things have been writing to the bar all morning, and I have opened every app on the device without an issue thus far. I'll report back if it decides to disappear again.

robertc88

Jan 27, 2012
Well it is happening on my kfhd as well. Guess I will have to do a reset as well but rather not to tell the truth. Maybe unregister and reregister or is that the same thing

Update: just went into gmail and after closing, the bar is back! WT. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: trogper

nvrmore100

Sep 21, 2010
Well it is happening on my kfhd as well. Guess I will have to do a reset as well but rather not to tell the truth. Maybe unregister and reregister or is that the same thing

I tried the unregister/register and it didn't help. I realized that I did not install Gmail this time either, another difference from last time. Perhaps its the culprit?

alkemist80

Sep 20, 2012
Pineapple under the sea
I have a very good feeling it is gmail. I did not have this issue until after I installed gmail and the notifications started to come in.

That is when I started to see on instances the notification bar disappearing. Going back to the original carousel, opening gmail seems to have fixed the issue. In the play store, it says that it was updated for 7" tablets (most likely for nexus 7) but perhaps not having the proper support for the KFHD7. Uninstalled gmail and everything is back to normal.

Varlokkur

Sep 20, 2012
It has been two days since my status bar disappeared. After opening GMail, it reappeared and has stayed without any more problems (knock on wood).
So... don't despair, GMail can work with the fire!

spliter200

Jun 11, 2010
same problem happened to me

It has been two days since my status bar disappeared. After opening GMail, it reappeared and has stayed without any more problems (knock on wood).
So... don't despair, GMail can work with the fire!

my kindle is rooted

this happened to me today after i installed accountsandsynsettings apk and allowed gmail to syn opening gmail has returned the notification settings. oddly it was when i got an email at two 2am that i noticed the notification bar disappearing tried shutting down the kindle then turn on but will not fix . but since i open gmail its back.

Varlokkur

Sep 20, 2012
It definitely appears to be caused by Gmail. Just turn off notifications from Gmail in the app settings and you will no longer encounter the issue.

scottep1964

Aug 6, 2007
Wayne, NJ
I had the same problem. I went into "Settings" and there is a section to manage Notification settings. I just turned off notifications to apps I didn't need and the problem stopped. I didn't go as far as figuring out which App was responsible but it seems that certain apps can screw it up.

Reactions: Czesiuk

Varlokkur

Sep 20, 2012
Again, Gmail is a sufficient cause.. there may be other apps as well, but if you disable Gmail notifications it will most likely solve the problem

JAG50

Apr 8, 2011
Thanks man! I did exactly as you described and my notification bar is back. What is causing it to disappear?

Jeff

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It definitely appears to be caused by Gmail. Just turn off notifications from Gmail in the app settings and you will no longer encounter the issue.

Here my solution and Problem description:

The problem is caused really by gmail, so my conjecture. To run gmail and some other gapps you have to install or update the GoogleLoginServices.apk and GoogleServicesFramework.apk. One of these Seems providing the notification framework in a newer version. Gmail try to use this newer framework version that is not compatible with Android 4.0.3 of KFHD.

My solutions is, also already described in this thread, disable the notifications of the gmail app. If you need or want the notifications of Gmail nevertheless I recommend Gmail Label Notifier provided in the Play Store.

I didn't have any problems with my notification bar.

Best regards!

I had the same problem. I went into "Settings" and there is a section to manage Notification settings. I just turned off notifications to apps I didn't need and the problem stopped. I didn't go as far as figuring out which App was responsible but it seems that certain apps can screw it up.