[Q] Formatted AT&T GS4 with stock MDL firmware, still shows custom ROM?

Search This thread

10 Gauge

Nov 6, 2013
Ruther Glen
So I reverted from CM11 back to the stock AT&T MDL package through Odin on my wifes phone as she was having problems with CM dropping service.

Anyhow, the revert went fine and the phone is back on MDL and works perfectly.

The only thing that is bothering me is that when the phone boots it still shows the "Samsung Custom" screen which is odd to me since I went back to the stock firmware. It's also keeping the phone from updating to the latest official AT&T software.

How can I get this thing ALL the way back to stock?

norbarb

Account currently disabled
Dec 22, 2011
So I reverted from CM11 back to the stock AT&T MDL package through Odin on my wifes phone as she was having problems with CM dropping service.

The only thing that is bothering me is that when the phone boots it still shows the "Samsung Custom" screen which is odd to me since I went back to the stock firmware. It's also keeping the phone from updating to the latest official AT&T software.

Try use kies to restore to bone stock. It should work on MDL firmware : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1984717

scott14719

Dec 24, 2011

There are several reasons you could be getting "custom". Sometimes, all it takes is a few reboots for it to go away, sometimes it's something on your SD card that triggers it. Try taking out your SD card and rebooting a few times before you try anything else to see if it still shows custom or not.

Red_81

Dec 5, 2010
St.Louis Metro
Don't use kies unless you want the newer bootloader. You could always flash one of the tw based roms and see if that works better for her. I currently use ShoStock and it is very stable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

norbarb

Account currently disabled
Dec 22, 2011
Don't use kies unless you want the newer bootloader. You could always flash one of the tw based roms and see if that works better for her. I currently use ShoStock and it is very stable.

Kies don't have any bootloader over MDL on at&t phones. No other firmware then MDL are available on kies for At&t models of Samsung galaxy S4. So you will not update bootloader to newer.

Last edited:

10 Gauge

Nov 6, 2013
Ruther Glen

So Kies will take care of it then. At this point not too worried about the phone being on the newer locked bootloader. It's almost up for its AT&T Next upgrade anyhow.

Can you suggest a good backup program that will back up literally everything on the phone to include custom ring tones and who they are assigned to in the address book, etc. I hate having to set her phone back up every time I have to wipe it.

Thanks for your input guys.

Red_81

Dec 5, 2010
St.Louis Metro
Good to know about kies. I haven't used it since my S2. I would recommend keeping the older bootloader just for the resell value.

G

GuestX0019

So Kies will take care of it then. At this point not too worried about the phone being on the newer locked bootloader. It's almost up for its AT&T Next upgrade anyhow.

Can you suggest a good backup program that will back up literally everything on the phone to include custom ring tones and who they are assigned to in the address book, etc. I hate having to set her phone back up every time I have to wipe it.

Thanks for your input guys.

You could try MyBackUp Pro,TB, or Koush's back up app--forget name--not sure if they do ringtones though

Only thing I know for sure is a nandroid--

Try a Google some other apps are mentioned--like Back Up My Tones Premium

Last edited: