Bootloader Unlock?

Search This thread

DarkB055

Oct 5, 2019
Are we expecting the global version to have the ability to be bootloader unlocked? Looking at the recent Motorola devices, they seem that most can be unlocked and kernel sources are published.

droidnew

Jul 24, 2010
Valdosta GA
Microsoft Surface Duo 2
My Motorola edge plus from Verizon actually has the toggle for bootloader unlocking. I am kind of shocked!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200516-185055.png
    Screenshot_20200516-185055.png
    177.8 KB · Views: 1,348

foamerman

Sep 1, 2010
B-town
Hey this is just a question. Has anybody tried Google there is a ton of information about unlocking the bootloader.. I'm reading some of the info now. I'm debating on getting this phone or the OnePlus 8 pro. I'm kinda stuck with Verizon right now that's why the 8 pro from OnePlus looked real good. But reading about edge + and getting the unlock code from motorola it looks good too.

droidnew

Jul 24, 2010
Valdosta GA
Microsoft Surface Duo 2
Were you able to confirm that the toggle functions?
The toggle does function. But I haven't tried to unlock the bootloader. But if I toggle it on it does give me a warning about unlocking. I actually returned the phone as I was not satisfied with the camera. I have 2 grand kids and I found enough situations where the camera took pictures that were a little blurry that I didn't feel like I needed to keep the phone. I hated to do it, I really liked the phone, but the camera was a deal breaker.

rodken

Jan 11, 2010
The toggle does function. But I haven't tried to unlock the bootloader. But if I toggle it on it does give me a warning about unlocking. I actually returned the phone as I was not satisfied with the camera. I have 2 grand kids and I found enough situations where the camera took pictures that were a little blurry that I didn't feel like I needed to keep the phone. I hated to do it, I really liked the phone, but the camera was a deal breaker.

I think that you just gave me hope in that if I decide to purchase one shortly, that the toggle will still be available to unlock the bootloader.

Question: Assuming that the toggle will still unlock the bootloader, I would not have a need for any fastboot mode command lines?

Last edited:

daillcyruz

Oct 8, 2007
Central Jersey
Hey Guy I just picked this device up straight from Verizon , it came today and I already checked off OEM UNLOCK. I wanted to even see if it depended on sim so...I am coming from an LG V60 and when I got the new phone I just simply activated with the sim it came with went straight to developer options to see if it was greyed out. It wasn't I checked it off and I went to the Motorola page and checked to see if my device could be unlocked which it could and I got my unique key and submitted it. It said I should be getting the email with the unlock key for Fastboot. However it doesn't look like there is factory images but I am willing to test stuff while I have a backup phone and also since I am in my return period.

Reactions: inkdaddy66

rodken

Jan 11, 2010
Hey Guy I just picked this device up straight from Verizon , it came today and I already checked off OEM UNLOCK. I wanted to even see if it depended on sim so...I am coming from an LG V60 and when I got the new phone I just simply activated with the sim it came with went straight to developer options to see if it was greyed out. It wasn't I checked it off and I went to the Motorola page and checked to see if my device could be unlocked which it could and I got my unique key and submitted it. It said I should be getting the email with the unlock key for Fastboot. However it doesn't look like there is factory images but I am willing to test stuff while I have a backup phone and also since I am in my return period.

Please keep me posted on whether the email with the fastboot commands holds true and are you looking for factory images for testing purposes or couldn't you just run with the device as-is until the images materialize?

daillcyruz

Oct 8, 2007
Central Jersey
Please keep me posted on whether the email with the fastboot commands holds true and are you looking for factory images for testing purposes or couldn't you just run with the device as-is until the images materialize?
I will keep posted, yes I wouldn't try anything until factory images are available. I wanted to see if it was really going to let me go through with requesting the lock... I thought the email would be fast but its been 30 min no email yet.

rodken

Jan 11, 2010
I will keep posted, yes I wouldn't try anything until factory images are available. I wanted to see if it was really going to let me go through with requesting the lock... I thought the email would be fast but its been 30 min no email yet.

Unlocking the bootloader should not interfere with the overall operability of the device, e.g., text, calls, data, etc. Is there a reason as to why you are waiting for factory images before unlocking?

daillcyruz

Oct 8, 2007
Central Jersey
Unlocking the bootloader should not interfere with the overall operability of the device, e.g., text, calls, data, etc. Is there a reason as to why you are waiting for factory images before unlocking?

No no not not waiting to unlock, yes I am going to that as soon as I get the Code I mean roms if any devs put something out there...However I will be willing to try some stuff lol...

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

For kicks and giggles I downloaded Lenovos Mobile program for backup and recovery to see if it would have a rescue function that would pull down a full image..And Wa La looks like it did. You have to connect your phone first and then go to rescue and it pulled down a 2.5GB Imaged named...
Burton_VZW_QPB30.188_43_subsidy_VZW_RSU_QCOM_regulatory_default_CFc.XML.ZIP

edgeplus by Chaz Chamberlain, on Flickr

Full download for the 2.5GB File here..

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11YXi-3arbpDbPy8Rjz6Ub1GShqMzibx3?usp=sharing

rodken

Jan 11, 2010
No no not not waiting to unlock, yes I am going to that as soon as I get the Code I mean roms if any devs put something out there...However I will be willing to try some stuff lol...

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

For kicks and giggles I downloaded Lenovos Mobile program for backup and recovery to see if it would have a rescue function that would pull down a full image..And Wa La looks like it did. You have to connect your phone first and then go to rescue and it pulled down a 2.5GB Imaged named...
Burton_VZW_QPB30.188_43_subsidy_VZW_RSU_QCOM_regulatory_default_CFc.XML.ZIP

edgeplus by Chaz Chamberlain, on Flickr

Full download for the 2.5GB File here..

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11YXi-3arbpDbPy8Rjz6Ub1GShqMzibx3?usp=sharing

Wait..... are you still waiting for the code by email or did you receive the code and now waiting for a ROM to be developed?

nilezon

Jan 30, 2008
Here's a magisk patched boot img.
Boot it with fastboot when you have unlocked the bootloader:
Code:
fastboot boot magisk_patched.img

Attachments

• magisk_patched.img.zip
    13.5 MB · Views: 130

rodken

Jan 11, 2010
Here's a magisk patched boot img.
Boot it with fastboot when you have unlocked the bootloader:
Code:
fastboot boot magisk_patched.img

Do I still need to obtain a copy of the stock boot/recovery image as required or do I simply flash the patched boot img you have supplied?

---------- Post added at 09:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 AM ----------

Still waiting on code

I read an article that the unlock code is obtained from the supplier within a maximum period of 24 business hours, although there are cases where this could take anywhere from one hour up to three business days. Other times, the code is provided in less than 15 minutes. It depends on the make and model of the phone and the original network provider. What - 3 days?

nilezon

Jan 30, 2008
I don't have the phone myself, so I can't say for sure what works or not. But usually, when bootloader is unlocked, you can boot or flash a patched boot.img to obtain root.
I patched the boot.img from the rom dump supplied by @daillcyruz
You should start with the "fastboot boot" command i wrote, as that command won't modify anything permanently.

EDIT:
Any news on that unlock code from Motorola yet?

rodken

Jan 11, 2010
I don't have the phone myself, so I can't say for sure what works or not. But usually, when bootloader is unlocked, you can boot or flash a patched boot.img to obtain root.
I patched the boot.img from the rom dump supplied by @daillcyruz
You should start with the "fastboot boot" command i wrote, as that command won't modify anything permanently.

EDIT:
Any news on that unlock code from Motorola yet?

Thanks for supplying the patched img. I guess we'll have to wait on the response from @daillcyruz regarding receipt of the code.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Reactivate/Calibrate the Fingerprint reader after bootloaderunlock!

Hello, after bootloader unlocking the fingerprint reader does not work. to get it working again you need to do the following things!

1. go to the Dialer and type *#*#2486#*#* wich opens the CQA testapp
    2. allow all requests
    3. go to the first Menu (CQA-Test in Menu Mode)
    4. go to "Sensor"
    5. go to "G5SPMT Test"
    6. Start the test and when ist says: "Put the Flesh Flat" press start/next and put your Finger on the Sensor, then when ist says: "Put the Black Flat" put something non reflective over the sensor and tap next. int the Last step where it says: "Put the Flesh Chart FLat" I used my Fingernail on the Sensor! and even tho there was an error on the end, when you go to your Fingerprint/Security Settings you now can put in your Fingerprint as normal and it works again.

I hope this will help you, if you have any questions, just ask.
    No problem. I am still having trouble with getting the fingerprint sensor to work. I've maxed out the registered fingerprints using my thumb, but it still rarely unlocks. Not sure how to remedy this
    I followed this steps and I solved the broken fingerprint issue after oem unlock and rooting (I hope this can solve also for you):

1. Take backup of /mnt/vendor/persist/goodix/
    2. Delete goodix folder
    3. Delete all saved fingerprints, if any
    4. Reboot
    5. Enter *#*#2486#*#* in dialer
    6. Select CQA Menu Mode
    7. Select Sensors -> After-Sales -> Fingerprint SPMT(Dual Rubber)
    8. Start Test
    9. Use White Paper under your thumb for FLESH FLAT
    10. Cover entire screen with dark thick paper for BLACK FLAT
    11. The test should pass. Go back to Sensors
    12. Select G5GoodixSelfTest
    13. Put your finger on sensor and you should get success
    14. Select G5SPMT Test
    15. Follow steps 9 and 10. For Last test, place your thumb directly on sensor. Test will fail.
    16. Exit engineering mode and enroll fingerprints in maximum brightness
    17. Enroll multiple entries for same finger
    18. Keep locking and unlocking the phone and after few unlocks, sensor will work as new
    so I even called motorola yesterday and they had a hard time finding the code and he said he saw it was all "A"s . Im like that doesnt sound right.....I wasn't going to try it. Then this morning as soon as I woke up I looked for the emails from MOTO. Apparently they were not even going to spam they were going to trash folder...so I was getting them but the unlock code is indeed all "A"s wtf. I tried it anyway of course it failed...
    I followed this steps and I solved the broken fingerprint issue after oem unlock and rooting (I hope this can solve also for you):

1. Take backup of /mnt/vendor/persist/goodix/
    2. Delete goodix folder
    3. Delete all saved fingerprints, if any
    4. Reboot
    5. Enter *#*#2486#*#* in dialer
    6. Select CQA Menu Mode
    7. Select Sensors -> After-Sales -> Fingerprint SPMT(Dual Rubber)
    8. Start Test
    9. Use White Paper under your thumb for FLESH FLAT
    10. Cover entire screen with dark thick paper for BLACK FLAT
    11. The test should pass. Go back to Sensors
    12. Select G5GoodixSelfTest
    13. Put your finger on sensor and you should get success
    14. Select G5SPMT Test
    15. Follow steps 9 and 10. For Last test, place your thumb directly on sensor. Test will fail.
    16. Exit engineering mode and enroll fingerprints in maximum brightness
    17. Enroll multiple entries for same finger
    18. Keep locking and unlocking the phone and after few unlocks, sensor will work as new
    ¡¡¡Excelleeeeeeent!!! You Are pro... I tried the aforementioned methods in this thread, but only your method worked for me. 😄👌