ROOT de la Vega now available for T-Mobile Note3 :)

Search This thread

electron73

Mar 17, 2007
Vegas, baby!
So... after first being impatient and buying a T-Mobile Note3 on Craigslist to use on AT&T and then later seeing how the bootloader locked AT&T Note3 was rooted by DG and Chainfire I ended up getting a contract renewal with AT&T after all and went with the AT&T Note3.

Now I thought I might try to experiment a little and see if I can replicate that root method on the T-Mobile Note3 because it's so brilliant and doesn't trigger the Know warranty void flag.

I can confirm it works just as well on the T-Mobile Note3 !!

ALL CREDIT for the method goes to DesignGears and Chainfire! The Original Thread is HERE: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2474422

All steps are exactly the same. THIS IS ONLY FOR N900TUVUBMI7 firmware, so that must be the current one installed on your phone.

Please follow all steps in the original AT&T thread, just skip the oneclick.exe and start with flashing the root_de_la_vega.tar using ODIN.

There is not really a need to so this if you already rooted with the AutoRoot method and triggered the Knox flag. This is for the careful guys who have NOT rooted yet, only want root (no custom ROM or recovery) and would rather like to preserve that Know Warranty 0x0 Flag :)

Link to the needed file for T-Mobile Note3 is HERE:
http://www.electron73.org/XDA/N900T/ROOT_DE_LA_VEGA-TMO.ZIP

Enjoy :)

Last edited:

lm that guy

Jan 22, 2012
Nice! If I wanted to go stock again, can I just flash the stock firmware in odin and it wont trip the knox flag?

lm that guy

Jan 22, 2012
Unfortunatley, once you trip the Knox Flag you can't untrip it - doing Odin to Stock will return you to stock but it does not remove the Knox flag...once it's tripped - it's tripped.

Oh no I haven't tripped my Knox flag yet :p I was asking if I use this method to root and I wanted to go back to stock later down the road, Will I trip the Knox flag if i odin the official stock firmware?

Last edited:

shin lucifer

Jun 12, 2010
Its good to have this method available for those who are very conscious of Knox falg/warranty. Personally:

I will be doing a full root on my second N3. I have to; in the memory of my first N3... RIP where ever you are now.

mocsab

Aug 16, 2011
West Milwaukee
www.shimmeringglass.com
Oh no I haven't tripped my Knox flag yet :p I was asking if I use this method to root and I wanted to go back to stock later down the road, Will I trip the Knox flag if i odin the official stock firmware?

I am not positive - but I think if you flash anything - it will trip it - if you odin back to stock - it would include a new kernel and that would tirp the flag - I may be wrong - but I believe I read this the other day.

WHy would you want to return to stock? To return the phone or something if something went wrong? Maybe there is another way to remove root.?

Reactions: lm that guy

shin lucifer

Jun 12, 2010
I dont think you even have to remove root. There will be now ay to tell if you are rooted using that method. Unless you use app that ask you SU permission. So before return just do Factory Reset. That i think should take care of things. IMHO.

electron73

Mar 17, 2007
Vegas, baby!

No, if you ODIN back to full stock or do a factory reset/wipe the Knox flag will NOT be triggered. That flag only triggers if you install a CUSTOM recovery or kernel (custom rom).

zmore

Apr 25, 2011
NYC
For the Galaxy S3, there's also a "no trip root" thread where you simply flash a root-injected TouchWhiz, which I used, and as long as you never flash anything non-Samsung in ODIN, you'll never trip the flash counter flag (which can be reset with TriangleAway anyway, unlike the KNOX flag afaik). But, once rooted, you don't need ODIN, and flashing TWRP recovery via the GooManager app (or dd'ing the img over the recovery partition) doesn't trip the flag, nor does subsequent ROM flashes from recovery over the system partition.

Is it the same situation here, or is the KNOX flag different, in that it will always get tripped as soon as it sees an unsigned partition on bootup?

DriftorX

Aug 21, 2010
Darn.. Wish I came upon this like 2 days after I had my TMO note 3. Ive already tripped my Knox. Oh well.

lm that guy

Jan 22, 2012
Darn.. Wish I came upon this like 2 days after I had my TMO note 3. Ive already tripped my Knox. Oh well.

The one thing that will eventually have me tripping my Knox flag is if a nice custom kernel comes along. But until then, a simple way to root without tripping the flag will hold me over :fingers-crossed:. Also I'm returning my phone in a week so it's important I don't trip it right now. I want to root and play around with my phone until then.

Has anybody tested this method. Does it work

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app

I will test in about 10 minutes when my phone gets finished charging to 100% and will report back. :laugh:

Edit: everything works Thanks OP for posting this!!

Last edited:

effortless

Feb 11, 2007
Philadelphia
Just rooted via this method. It worked fine and knox is stil 0x0. It also didn't factory reset my phone like I thought it would, I'm going to do it anyway, but I wasn't getting any FCs or anything either. Thank you for getting this out to us TMO users!

HughesNet

Apr 3, 2013
I don't get it. Rooting doesn't trip knox regardless. But flashing a custom kernel or rom does. So what is the point of this method if it will trip knox as soon as you flash a kernel or rom anyway.

Reactions: chrisgto4

effortless

Feb 11, 2007
Philadelphia
I don't get it. Rooting doesn't trip knox regardless. But flashing a custom kernel or rom does. So what is the point of this method if it will trip knox as soon as you flash a kernel or rom anyway.

For one you can use apps that require root. Also, you can uninstall bloatware and push apks to your phone using adb etc. A little more work than flashing a prebuilt custom rom, but you can get many of the same results.

*You also said rooting doesn't trip knox regardless, but it actually does unless you do it via this method.

barretp

Dec 13, 2011
Just did this. Easy as cake. Now I just need to sim unlock my note to use my ATT sim and I will be good to go!!

HughesNet

Apr 3, 2013
For one you can use apps that require root. Also, you can uninstall bloatware and push apks to your phone using adb etc. A little more work than flashing a prebuilt custom rom, but you can get many of the same results.

*You also said rooting doesn't trip knox regardless, but it actually does unless you do it via this method.

I know you don't need a custom rom for some things. I run stock deodex myself. I flashed custom recovery immediately after root. I guess I thought that is what triggered knox. Either way matters little to me though. I know tmobile won't check knox counter if I use jump and even if they did I could sell on ebay and come out ahead. So I don't really understand why people worry about it. Insurance covers it if you damage it or need warranty service.

Reactions: Ker~Man

Ker~Man

Nov 2, 2010
Louisville
I know you don't need a custom rom for some things. I run stock deodex myself. I flashed custom recovery immediately after root. I guess I thought that is what triggered knox. Either way matters little to me though. I know tmobile won't check knox counter if I use jump and even if they did I could sell on ebay and come out ahead. So I don't really understand why people worry about it. Insurance covers it if you damage it or need warranty service.

Yeah... Seems to me like a kinda-sorta placebo effect or simply one of those things that people can use who *must* have everything completely untraceable to the "T." Like you said, there's virtually no "real" reason this is very necessary, far's I can tell... But, regardless, good work on this - without a doubt - and definitely always a big "plus" to have multiple working methods! :good:

chrisgto4

Dec 17, 2009
Dallas

exactly. I think op might not know everything like he is implying. he just wants some attention

*****es be be like "nice phone"

siraltus

Jan 26, 2010
I am not positive - but I think if you flash anything - it will trip it - if you odin back to stock - it would include a new kernel and that would tirp the flag - I may be wrong - but I believe I read this the other day.

WHy would you want to return to stock? To return the phone or something if something went wrong? Maybe there is another way to remove root.?

If people read up on how KNOX actually works, there wouldn't be so much confusion.

The KNOX WARRANTY VOID flag is set to 0x1 when the bootloader detects (via Qualcomm SecureBoot) that you are booting either a kernel or a recovery that isn't SELinux enforcing (it displays a message such as RECOVERY IS NOT SEANDROID ENFORCING - Set Warranty Bit: recovery). It remembers that the partition you booted was insecure and flags it in its own little memory area. It sets individual warranty bits for each partition - boot (kernel), recovery, cache (if you happen to put something there that it doesn't approve of), system. If ANY of those partition warranty bits are set, the KNOX WARRANTY VOID flag is set to 0x1.

This is all explained in the KNOX white paper available on the Samsung web site.

Now, if someone figures out how to write-enable the protected flash area so the flag can be reset AND disable Qualcomm SecureBoot so that it doesn't set the flag over and over again, we'll be in business. For now, only Samsung knows how to do it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So... after first being impatient and buying a T-Mobile Note3 on Craigslist to use on AT&T and then later seeing how the bootloader locked AT&T Note3 was rooted by DG and Chainfire I ended up getting a contract renewal with AT&T after all and went with the AT&T Note3.

Now I thought I might try to experiment a little and see if I can replicate that root method on the T-Mobile Note3 because it's so brilliant and doesn't trigger the Know warranty void flag.

I can confirm it works just as well on the T-Mobile Note3 !!

ALL CREDIT for the method goes to DesignGears and Chainfire! The Original Thread is HERE: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2474422

All steps are exactly the same. THIS IS ONLY FOR N900TUVUBMI7 firmware, so that must be the current one installed on your phone.

Please follow all steps in the original AT&T thread, just skip the oneclick.exe and start with flashing the root_de_la_vega.tar using ODIN.

There is not really a need to so this if you already rooted with the AutoRoot method and triggered the Knox flag. This is for the careful guys who have NOT rooted yet, only want root (no custom ROM or recovery) and would rather like to preserve that Know Warranty 0x0 Flag :)

Link to the needed file for T-Mobile Note3 is HERE:
    http://www.electron73.org/XDA/N900T/ROOT_DE_LA_VEGA-TMO.ZIP

Enjoy :)
    It's only development if it's the OP's work. This is basically just saying "heads up, this works"

Well I hex edited the T-Mobile stock firmware files according to DG and Chainfire's work for the AT&T note3. By now I thing DG has released the version for TMo himself. This was just me trying to be helpful and making this root method available for the 900T :)
    No you cant receive OTA

This is what my phone says after I installed xposed framework and wanam xposed module and set it to say original. .. so yes you can ota after this

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

No, if you ODIN back to full stock or do a factory reset/wipe the Knox flag will NOT be triggered. That flag only triggers if you install a CUSTOM recovery or kernel (custom rom).