Android 4.4 Galaxy S4 DISCUSSION

Search This thread

hecpilot

Jul 21, 2013
I travel for a living. The removable battery sure comes in handy.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

paravorheim

Mar 10, 2011
I travel for a living. The removable battery sure comes in handy.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I hear this a lot, and at times I agree with you. However, what's stopping you from just plugging in an external battery pack every once in a while?

I've been debating getting an extra battery for my s4, and I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna stick with an external battery pack instead, just because it's more versatile in the long run.

ve6ay

Nov 20, 2010
Alberta
I tend to agree that the external battery is better. Swapping the battery thus causes a reboot, which while not that long, can still be a pain in the buttocks.

hecpilot

Jul 21, 2013
I hear this a lot, and at times I agree with you. However, what's stopping you from just plugging in an external battery pack every once in a while?

I've been debating getting an extra battery for my s4, and I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna stick with an external battery pack instead, just because it's more versatile in the long run.

I like the idea of the external battery, but for me that means keeping the two devices tethered, something that can be a pain while transiting airports. I know... where there is a will, there can be a way. Maybe I'll give it a try.

I also like being able to replace the internal battery once it can no longer hold its charge.

And... I love having the internal SD card... So, S4 for now, and maybe Nexus soon... great choices.

ve6ay

Nov 20, 2010
Alberta
Internal memory card is a must. It's why I don't own any ASUS or LG Nexus products. I have an old Samsung Nexus S and the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, and both have memory card slots, so I'm set there.

That's one thing Samsung did right when they did it.

As for the external battery, when you're transitioning, you just put them back in your bag, unplugged, and call it good. Get on the plane and plug back in if needed. They're pretty fast charge.

DreenHotdog

Jul 27, 2013
Internal memory card is a must. It's why I don't own any ASUS or LG Nexus products. I have an old Samsung Nexus S and the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, and both have memory card slots, so I'm set there.

As for the external battery, when you're transitioning, you just put them back in your bag, unplugged, and call it good. Get on the plane and plug back in if needed. They're pretty fast charge.

If some magical carrier would just release a phone with beautiful build quality, Google Edition ROM (AOSP), a removable/external battery with MicroSD slots (multiple), and gave us access to the first new build releases of Google's software, this would be the phone that I would be constantly buying every year. Give us awesome build quality like the iPhone 5S or HTC One or Xperia Z1, with all of these hardware features, and you'd have a damn solid phone. But why can't any of the manufacturers get this idea of a perfect phone in their heads? Dunno... I'd say Google might be headed in that direction but you never really know.

Speaking of cool perfect phones, I'm really thinking about that Motorola Ara or whatever its called. (That block phone sort of thing.) But you know whatever, we all have our own little ideas.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Zorachus

Dec 15, 2010
Lombard, IL.
I just upgraded two weeks ago to this S4, and am on MF3 :( So I will never see 4.4 on this phone.

So pissed off at ATT for locking this phone down so tight now. I have owned several other Samsung phones on ATT before, and they were easily rooted and custom recovery installed so fast; Note 2, Galaxy S2, Nexus-S, and original Galaxy S1.

Why ATT doing this now ?

But I am still dreaming we'll get a true unlock on MF3 sooner than later ? This phone is the #1 selling Android phone of 2013, someone will find the exploit eventually ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

HiTideBlastoise

Nov 4, 2012
Yes AT&T is slow with providing updates, but I don't doubt that Galaxy S4 will get the 4.4 update. It will take time but 4.4 will come.

Zorachus

Dec 15, 2010
Lombard, IL.
It did take Samsung and ATT approx 3 to 4 months to get the 4.3 release out, after first coming out for the Nexus line in July.

So we should expect 4.4 in 4 months or less.

But...in 4 months, that's the rumored Galaxy S5 launch, tons of rumors saying Samsung wants the S5 out early 2014, most picking February as the launch.

I see the new S5 the first 4.4 Samsung phone. And then 4.4 on Note 3 after that, then the S4.

Shawn7656

May 18, 2011

Is this a problem for the AT&T S4? It says that if you can change your kernel you can get around this. If that's the case it seems like the only thing we'd have to do is include custom kernels with the 4.4 ROMs so that there would be no issues. CM normally releases using their own kernel, and I'm sure KT and others wouldn't be against letting devs bundle their kernels (once they're updated for KitKat) if it meant getting 4.4 onto our devices.

DreenHotdog

Jul 27, 2013
I just upgraded two weeks ago to this S4, and am on MF3 :( So I will never see 4.4 on this phone.

So pissed off at ATT for locking this phone down so tight now. I have owned several other Samsung phones on ATT before, and they were easily rooted and custom recovery installed so fast; Note 2, Galaxy S2, Nexus-S, and original Galaxy S1.

Why ATT doing this now ?

But I am still dreaming we'll get a true unlock on MF3 sooner than later ? This phone is the #1 selling Android phone of 2013, someone will find the exploit eventually ?

That sucks! I'm so glad I didn't update my device before I rooted it! I'd say you should sell your S4 for $350-$400 and go buy yourself a Nexus 5. At least you'll be getting a pretty damn good phone along with the latest update(s) from Google. I think it is bull crap that you have to deal with having a non modded phone. I wish the carriers didn't have very much control over what goes on to your smartphone. What a bunch of hoes...

scott14719

Dec 24, 2011
That sucks! I'm so glad I didn't update my device before I rooted it! I'd say you should sell your S4 for $350-$400 and go buy yourself a Nexus 5. At least you'll be getting a pretty damn good phone along with the latest update(s) from Google. I think it is bull crap that you have to deal with having a non modded phone. I wish the carriers didn't have very much control over what goes on to your smartphone. What a bunch of hoes...

The Nexus 5 is OK spec wise (camera lacks), but it doesn't have the features of the S4. If you don't use the extras (ir blaster, mobeam tech, etc...) It looks OK, but it isn't the end-all of phones. Not to mention limitted memory (no SD card) and fixed battery (if that hasn't changed). It might be better just to get and International or Play edition S4. When the S5s come out, it will be a different story.

Zorachus

Dec 15, 2010
Lombard, IL.
I have faith :)

Sent From My SGH-i337 Using Tapatalk 4

Thing is, I do like this S4, I even returned a new LG G2 for the S4, I couldn't get used to the G2 rear buttons, and it was heavier and wider than I wanted. Plus I was getting crappy battery on the G2 the one week I had it, less than 4h On Screen time, and dead in 12 to 14 hours. Must have had a defective unit.

Went to the S4, getting 5.5h On Screen time, and typically lasts me a full day easily. And this size and weight is just right to me, and I like turning on the phone with bottom thumb button. Plus call me crazy, I like AMOLED, tgr deep blacks and vibrant colors pop and look cool to me.

I am rooted on stock 4.2.2 with apps to help battery; Greenify + DroidWall + AdAway. And then using Nova + Wannam Xposed makes this S4 look like a Nexus, and is super smooth.

Just wudh I could freely install ROM's + Kernels like my older Samsung phones, and not use some crazy Safestrap thing, that can't even do 4.3 yet, let alone 4.4 GPE ROM.

DreenHotdog

Jul 27, 2013
Thing is, I do like this S4, I even returned a new LG G2 for the S4, I couldn't get used to the G2 rear buttons, and it was heavier and wider than I wanted. Plus I was getting crappy battery on the G2 the one week I had it, less than 4h On Screen time, and dead in 12 to 14 hours. Must have had a defective unit.

Went to the S4, getting 5.5h On Screen time, and typically lasts me a full day easily. And this size and weight is just right to me, and I like turning on the phone with bottom thumb button. Plus call me crazy, I like AMOLED, tgr deep blacks and vibrant colors pop and look cool to me.

I am rooted on stock 4.2.2 with apps to help battery; Greenify + DroidWall + AdAway. And then using Nova + Wannam Xposed makes this S4 look like a Nexus, and is super smooth.

Just wudh I could freely install ROM's + Kernels like my older Samsung phones, and not use some crazy Safestrap thing, that can't even do 4.3 yet, let alone 4.4 GPE ROM.

Yeah that's definitely true.. It sucks that you can't use custom ROMs. But yeah, I LOOOOVE the Galaxy S4 screen. Its absolutely amazing! The vibrant colors are awesome and I love the true black color that makes your phone feel like you have a portable 1080p plasma screen in your pocket. If you really like nova launcher, I'm sure you'd like to use a ROM called FoxHound. It's basically a Touchwiz ROM with an AOSP skin over it. I've used it on 4.2.2 and its surprisingly faster! Anyways, like you said, it'll probably have to be run through SafeStrap for you at least which kinda sucks, but hey! Still a decent phone ROM.

NighthawkXL

Mar 4, 2013
Florida
Yeah that's definitely true.. It sucks that you can't use custom ROMs. But yeah, I LOOOOVE the Galaxy S4 screen. Its absolutely amazing! The vibrant colors are awesome and I love the true black color that makes your phone feel like you have a portable 1080p plasma screen in your pocket. If you really like nova launcher, I'm sure you'd like to use a ROM called FoxHound. It's basically a Touchwiz ROM with an AOSP skin over it. I've used it on 4.2.2 and its surprisingly faster! Anyways, like you said, it'll probably have to be run through SafeStrap for you at least which kinda sucks, but hey! Still a decent phone ROM.

Hm, I'm curious now... (sorry for going off-topic) I wonder if FoxHound will work on the SafeStrap, granted it's TouchWiz-based but it's not designed for the MF3 kernel. Anyone willing to give it a flash on a rom-slot, if all else fails you can fix the brick with the MF3 Odin files.

DreenHotdog

Jul 27, 2013
Have you heard of lokifying packages before?

can80an

Dec 17, 2011

You just might want to pop the back off your Nexus S and look again, mine doesn't have a memory card slot ... can't speak for the Galaxy Nexus, but Google has been pretty adamant that they would not be making provision for external memory cards anytime soon.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have faith :)

Sent From My SGH-i337 Using Tapatalk 4

Considering most of us aren't evening running 4.3 yet I don't foresee AT&T rolling 4.4 anytime soon. Granted, those who are able to run custom rom's may be able to update to it in due time. But for the lot of us on MF3 we're going to fall behind unless by some miracle Samsung releases the keys at AT&T's discretion.
    Yeah seriously! The non removable battery is just a bad design flaw and I can't wait until Paranoid Android releases their newest builds. Too bad CM says they aren't ditching Android 4.3 for 4.4. Obviously they're ruining their own competition and PA is going to be WAAY ahead of them.

You know what I kind of hate?

I want "the perfect" Android phone

Essentially its a hybrid of the S4 with Removable Battery, MicroSD, all that Jazz with the build Quality of a Sony Z1, Camera of a hybrid of the HTC One with its ultrapixel sensor and Nokia Lumia 1020 41MP camera, the unlocked stock Andriod of a Nexus and the smoothness/design of iOS/iPhone.....

Sigh............

Dang, hopefully there'll be another series of developers who want to be on it as fast as possible. I need my 4.4! :p

We'll get 4.4 aosp builds in a few weeks no doubt, since 4.4 is coming to the Google Play Edition S4.

Hmm, they can't even get to the G4's we have, you may see it in aosp, but it will still have the bugs that have haunted those roms for years.