[Q] Clock issue after reboot to Windows Mobile

Search This thread

lie_ui

Oct 12, 2005
TX, US
We discussed before the clock issue in Android (where the clock always lagged).
In my FRX07, I enabled "use network provided time" and it seems to be okay.
What I noticed is that, every time I reboot the phone to Windows Mobile, the clock in Windows Mobile is messed up (not the minutes, but the hours).
Everytime I reboot to Windows Mobile, I would like to correct the hour in the clock.
Look around but I could not find how to enable the clock in WM to use the network provided time as well.
Any input/help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

arrrghhh

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2007
What I noticed is that, every time I reboot the phone to Windows Mobile, the clock in Windows Mobile is messed up (not the minutes, but the hours).
Everytime I reboot to Windows Mobile, I would like to correct the hour in the clock.
Look around but I could not find how to enable the clock in WM to use the network provided time as well.

This is a WinMo issue, not an Android issue.

Android (and Linux/FreeBSD/every other OS) stores time in UTC, and then works backwards to your local time. WinMo (and Windows OS...) stores it in the local timezone only. So when you boot back to WinMo, it'll be exactly off by whatever offset you are from UTC.

To fix this, you need to resolve on the WinMo side. My phone always gets the time from the carrier - I'm a lucky CDMA user that always gets NITZ from my carrier :D.

If you're not so lucky and are on a GSM carrier that doesn't update your time properly, then you'll need to find some app in WinMo that keeps the clock synced. I can't help you here - again this is a WinMo problem, not Android!!. My solution for me is to just let the time update from my carrier. Again, if that does not work for you, find some atomic clock app or some such thing. Thanks!

Reactions: lie_ui

ypsmav

Jul 10, 2009
EU
Hi lie_ui,
I use the following trick to avoid the problem when I'm back to WM.
In Android, I set up the time manually and I select a time zone -2 hours.
For example if you are in GMT+5, setup Android manually in GMT+3. In this way you will have no problems.

To avoid the time lag, I use clocksync from the market, which works ok.

Reactions: lie_ui

lie_ui

Oct 12, 2005
TX, US
Thanks for the ideas! I will try it. Do mind explain to me where the -2 hours coming from? Just try to understand the logic. Thanks.

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
Thanks for the ideas! I will try it. Do mind explain to me where the -2 hours coming from? Just try to understand the logic. Thanks.

Re-read my post. He's trying to circumvent the UTC effect... So he's setting it 2hrs back to offset UTC for his timezone...

Daved+

May 25, 2008
I don't want to use a wrong timezone and I'm on GSM so I use ClockSync to set the time correctly in Android but I haven't found a similar application to do the same in WinMo so I'm setting my time manually everytime I want to use WinMo, it really sucks. Does anyone know any application that will sync the time automatically via NTP on WinMo?

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
I don't want to use a wrong timezone and I'm on GSM so I use ClockSync to set the time correctly in Android but I haven't found a similar application to do the same in WinMo so I'm setting my time manually everytime I want to use WinMo, it really sucks. Does anyone know any application that will sync the time automatically via NTP on WinMo?

This is the Android Development section... Please ask in the general/WinMo section. Thanks.

Gooooogle found this, no clue if it works or not:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6717575_configure-windows-mobile-use-ntp.html

korn2

Nov 15, 2009
Can we add some command or setting in Android's "STARTUP.txt" to offset the time?
But it still don't solve the time problem if we boot back to WinMo.

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
Can we add some command or setting in Android's "STARTUP.txt" to offset the time?
But it still don't solve the time problem if we boot back to WinMo.

It's really a WinMo issue. If your phone syncs its time with the carrier in WinMo, the problem is solved. I've never had this issue, but I guess my carrier always sends out NITZ so my time is always correct... love that CDMA :p.

Since it is a WinMo issue, you'll have to solve it with a WinMo app - find some atomic clock application for WinMo that automatically syncs the time in WinMo. ClockSync for Android, something similar for WinMo and you won't have the issue.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This is a WinMo issue, not an Android issue.

Android (and Linux/FreeBSD/every other OS) stores time in UTC, and then works backwards to your local time. WinMo (and Windows OS...) stores it in the local timezone only. So when you boot back to WinMo, it'll be exactly off by whatever offset you are from UTC.

To fix this, you need to resolve on the WinMo side. My phone always gets the time from the carrier - I'm a lucky CDMA user that always gets NITZ from my carrier :D.

If you're not so lucky and are on a GSM carrier that doesn't update your time properly, then you'll need to find some app in WinMo that keeps the clock synced. I can't help you here - again this is a WinMo problem, not Android!!. My solution for me is to just let the time update from my carrier. Again, if that does not work for you, find some atomic clock app or some such thing. Thanks!
    Hi lie_ui,
    I use the following trick to avoid the problem when I'm back to WM.
    In Android, I set up the time manually and I select a time zone -2 hours.
    For example if you are in GMT+5, setup Android manually in GMT+3. In this way you will have no problems.

To avoid the time lag, I use clocksync from the market, which works ok.