Have Reception Stability Issues? Get the New Bootloader!

Search This thread

slyydrr

Feb 10, 2009
Boca Raton
NOTE: There seems to be a misconception that I'm claiming this helped my signal strength. It did not. It did however help my signal stability. I no longer experience signal dropouts like I did before. As always, your mileage may vary. It helped me and I was just trying to see if it may help others as well.

Backstory: I was having reception issues with my phone, even in places with good reception. I didn't necessarily have lower bars than normal, but my reception would just randomly cut out, and quite frequently.

I read quite a few posts regarding the new bootloader helping reception and I found it hard to believe. I started reading about bootloaders and learned quite a bit. Long story short, it sets up the environment in your phone to allow the kernel among other things to start up properly. Seemingly, this includes making sure the radio can correctly control the hardware on the phone.

Since reading about the latest bootloader and its magical powers, I decided to give it a go and sure enough, it's been a miracle worker. I don't know what changes occurred in the latest bootloader and frankly I don't care. My reception is now just as rock solid as it was with my SGS2.

Bootloader Links
PRIMEKL01 (GSM - maguro) - http://www.multiupload.com/YUXRJC8M98
MD5 Checksum: 6efef5932379acc87ce9e17e79d21787

PRIMEKL01 (CDMA - toro) - http://www.mediafire.com/?j7o48b5f8c80yb2

As you can see, the MD5 checksums are the same but I wanted to post both links anyway

Instructions
To flash a bootloader, you need to have ADB drivers installed for your device, the adb executable files (fastboot, adb, etc) and get into the bootloader menu. Once there, you type the following:

fastboot flash bootloader <bootloader.img> (replace <bootloader.img> with the name of the image file downloaded)

DISCLAIMERS:

1) This does NOT necessarily improve your reception itself, but rather helps provide stability and consistency regarding the signal.

2) I do NOT know the compatibility of this. I do know that it works on my GSM i9250 device running a 4.0.3 ROM. I've heard that it is compatible w/ Verizon as well, but I have NOT been able to personally verify this so proceed with caution. Others in this thread have verified it works for the CDMA phones and the md5 checksums do match.

3) Related to point #2, this is the bootloader for 4.0.3 provided by Google. It should work w/ ROMs < 4.0.3, but I have not personally verified this.

4) You are responsible for what you are doing to your own device. I am merely helping provide information. You need to be sure you understand what you are doing and that you are doing it properly, knowing that you could very well ruin your device if not done properly.

Sources (with Bootloader Link [PRIMEKL01]):

Original post I found the bootloader from (embedded deep within Franco's kernel thread): http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21111231&postcount=2671

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/12866-ra...dated-dec-23-2011/page__p__314057#entry314057

As always, read before you try to proceed with applying this. This is not for the feint of heart although it is a relatively simple process once you understand what you are doing.

For a great list of resources to learn about what you are doing, please see this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1360413

Good luck and enjoy (hopefully) the reception improvement I have!

Last edited:
Reactions: copkay and jetrii

zephiK

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 23, 2009
New York, NY
Glad to hear this. As yesterday I debated with an individual on how "bootloaders would improve battery life." This would prove my point that if it resolves issues with reception, it would overall improve your battery life due to the phone working less hard on getting reception.

+1 to bootloader helping the overall performance of the phone.

Also, the bootloader would work on any version of ICS as long as its the Galaxy Nexus. Kind of like radios, a new radio is presented with a new version but it will work universally. But the best performance would probably come out of using it combined with a 4.0.3 (or above) ROM.

Last edited:

Tubes6al4v

Oct 13, 2009
To flash in fastboot:

Code:
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-maguro-primekl01.img

NIK516

Mar 4, 2010
Do you think that an update to 4.0.x will solve this reception issue , because I have it and don't want to root my phone just yet?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

slyydrr

Feb 10, 2009
Boca Raton
Do you think that an update to 4.0.x will solve this reception issue , because I have it and don't want to root my phone just yet?

It's not the ROM that makes a difference unless it contains a bootloader image. You might be able to run the latest bootloader on a non-4.0.3 ROM but I can't confirm nor deny (one of my disclaimers).

EDIT: per zephiK, this should work with any 4.0.x ROM.

Last edited:

gratti

Jun 20, 2010
São Paulo
The link for the bootloader sources ain't working? I mean I can't click it.

slyydrr

Feb 10, 2009
Boca Raton
I ran an MD5 check on both the LTE bootloader and the one I used and they appear to be one at the same. I had read that the bootloader worked for both GSM and LTE versions but I hadn't done any groundwork to confirm. I'll update the first post to be a bit more informative.

littleasian

Jul 15, 2010
thanks for the link OP.

and just making sure, im planning on doing a nandroid backup via CWM to make a recovery. if i install this and this ends up being worse than my stock bootloader, i can simply restore from nandroid correct?

sstang2006

May 7, 2009
thanks for the link OP.

and just making sure, im planning on doing a nandroid backup via CWM to make a recovery. if i install this and this ends up being worse than my stock bootloader, i can simply restore from nandroid correct?

Negative. A nan-backup does not back up radios nor boot-loaders.

sstang2006

May 7, 2009
Anyways I gave it shot, nothing but 10 minutes to lose.

Flashed latest radios and latest bootloader and the result was as expected; no improvement at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

adrynalyne

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2008
I like the new bootloader, but because it cleared up some fastboot issues. Past that I don't know anyone wanting/needing it.

slyydrr

Feb 10, 2009
Boca Raton
Anyways I gave it shot, nothing but 10 minutes to lose.

Flashed latest radios and latest bootloader and the result was as expected; no improvement at all.

As always, your mileage may vary. This bootloader did not improve my reception strength. It just allowed my signal to remain stable and not drop out.

slyydrr

Feb 10, 2009
Boca Raton
Please re-read everything I said and you'll see that I only noted that it helped my reception stability, not that it gave me better signal strength.

Tjotte

Oct 3, 2008
Stockholm
The grayed out bars only means your phone is not connected to googles servers, still connected to internet though..

Simmo3D

Mar 24, 2011
I agree. Anyone using the GSM version can you share your experience with this boot loader pleasw

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NOTE: There seems to be a misconception that I'm claiming this helped my signal strength. It did not. It did however help my signal stability. I no longer experience signal dropouts like I did before. As always, your mileage may vary. It helped me and I was just trying to see if it may help others as well.

Backstory: I was having reception issues with my phone, even in places with good reception. I didn't necessarily have lower bars than normal, but my reception would just randomly cut out, and quite frequently.

I read quite a few posts regarding the new bootloader helping reception and I found it hard to believe. I started reading about bootloaders and learned quite a bit. Long story short, it sets up the environment in your phone to allow the kernel among other things to start up properly. Seemingly, this includes making sure the radio can correctly control the hardware on the phone.

Since reading about the latest bootloader and its magical powers, I decided to give it a go and sure enough, it's been a miracle worker. I don't know what changes occurred in the latest bootloader and frankly I don't care. My reception is now just as rock solid as it was with my SGS2.

Bootloader Links
    PRIMEKL01 (GSM - maguro) - http://www.multiupload.com/YUXRJC8M98

PRIMEKL01 (CDMA - toro) - http://www.mediafire.com/?j7o48b5f8c80yb2

As you can see, the MD5 checksums are the same but I wanted to post both links anyway

Instructions
    To flash a bootloader, you need to have ADB drivers installed for your device, the adb executable files (fastboot, adb, etc) and get into the bootloader menu. Once there, you type the following:

fastboot flash bootloader <bootloader.img> (replace <bootloader.img> with the name of the image file downloaded)

DISCLAIMERS:

1) This does NOT necessarily improve your reception itself, but rather helps provide stability and consistency regarding the signal.

2) I do NOT know the compatibility of this. I do know that it works on my GSM i9250 device running a 4.0.3 ROM. I've heard that it is compatible w/ Verizon as well, but I have NOT been able to personally verify this so proceed with caution. Others in this thread have verified it works for the CDMA phones and the md5 checksums do match.

3) Related to point #2, this is the bootloader for 4.0.3 provided by Google. It should work w/ ROMs < 4.0.3, but I have not personally verified this.

4) You are responsible for what you are doing to your own device. I am merely helping provide information. You need to be sure you understand what you are doing and that you are doing it properly, knowing that you could very well ruin your device if not done properly.

Sources (with Bootloader Link [PRIMEKL01]):

Original post I found the bootloader from (embedded deep within Franco's kernel thread): http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21111231&postcount=2671

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/12866-ra...dated-dec-23-2011/page__p__314057#entry314057

As always, read before you try to proceed with applying this. This is not for the feint of heart although it is a relatively simple process once you understand what you are doing.

For a great list of resources to learn about what you are doing, please see this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1360413

Good luck and enjoy (hopefully) the reception improvement I have!