Want to move to CM11 .. Help

Search This thread
I am currently on 4.1.2 10-20121209-UNOFFICAL-acclaim ROM

I want to move to CM 11.

My current recovery is CWM - Recovery v6.0.1.9

ON all CM 11 page , it says to update my recovery to new one through fastboot.

I am not sure how to do this on nook tablet. Can anyone help me ?

Also does repartitioning of 16Gb needs to done with each rom install or once done , it stays the same through out ?

Last edited:

mikeataol

Nov 21, 2013

I want to move to CM 11.

Also does repartitioning of 16Gb needs to done with each rom install or once done , it stays the same through out ?

Hi, repartitioning doesnt need to be done with a new rom install.

IF THIS IS A CLEAN INSTALL
you dont HAVE to install it through flashing a new recovery using fastboot
you just need a working newer CWM , or a working TWRP that you can boot

if you can boot to an older Clockwordmod recovery in any form, you can flash a newer version of CWM to the internal by using a zip file , this user has a couple of the newest ones hosted here:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/3j4kxa3bwkrs1/CLOCKWORKMODS <--------------------------------------------- my compilation of a few important CWM versions in case u dont like twrp (like me).

after you flash the new recovery, remove the SDcard, power completely down,

press and hold the "N" NOOK button, and hold the power button for just a second or 2 after you see the tablet boot, and you should be prompted for the new recovery that you just flashed.

---
the newer recoveries have an option on the boot menu to start fastboot. So, if you really wanted to follow the instructions to the letter, get or make a working sd card of a newer CWM recovery, boot to it, then as long as your adb/utilities folder on your PC has fastboot in it, you can fastboot the recovery-0.2.img as is in the cm11 thread.

I found I never had to use fastboot before this cm11 install , so I didnt even have the fastboot on my pc side and had to hunt it down.

my first several installs of CM11 were done using an older boot sdcard that had TWRP recovery on it and it works fine.

----

it will probably be a lot easier it you have a working tablet, to have the copied the zips for cm11 and the gapps you want to install to the tablets
internal memory first, before flashing the new recovery internally

---------- (I completely forgot this other possibility, I'm always just doing clean installs)

IF YOU WANT CM to automatically upgrade though the CM updater process on a running CM10
then , yes you need the newer recovery, and it probably is best if it is the recovery-0.2.img the developer posted in the CM11 thread.
I've never tried it so I dont know how well it migrates your "stuff" from CM10 to CM11

theres a lot of changes to the way storage is mounted in CM11 , and the CM updating process is an important thing they are trying to make as seamless as possible.

If theres stuff on the tablet you really need, I'd save it first before doing any kind of major upgrade like this.

Last edited:
Thanks. I might do a clean install itself. I dont have much stuff.

Actually i am moving to CM 11 in hope that it would be faster. Currently i cant rad the PDF on thios tablet. The scrolling is very stuttery.. gives me headache. If that too doesnt solve that issue , i might simply sell this one and get some nexus tablet.

I just need a tablet to read my study books.

mikeataol

Nov 21, 2013

Actually i am moving to CM 11 in hope that it would be faster. Currently i cant rad the PDF on thios tablet. The scrolling is very stuttery.. gives me headache. If that too doesnt solve that issue , i might simply sell this one and get some nexus tablet.

the latest nightlies of CM11 on a 16GB tablet (has 1GB RAM) are fantastic. best thing ever, especially if you replace the kernel with one that user:demetris has supplied.

I havent run the CM11 on an 8GB (512MB RAM) tablet yet, but it really is a good package.

Its kinda like when Windows 7 came out, its what should have been released instead of XP or Windows 98, its really, really good.

Reactions: newbtrigger69

mikeataol

Nov 21, 2013
Just tell me .. is flashing recovery via fastboot is same for all devices or for nook tablet its different. Also i need a SD card to do this ?

Can you help me how to flash recovery via fastboot for our nook tablet ?

hmmm...

Ive seen fastboot on other devices, Kindle Fires, which I think have a motherboard thats a close match to the NOOK tablet.
on the Kindle, you can force fastboot by using a special cable.

if you need fastboot on the NOOK, the recovery program that you execute at boot has to have the option to start fastboot.
you can boot a recovery that has that option from an internal recovery (CWM newer versions have it, I dont remember about older versions)
or you can boot from an SD card you make that boots a CWM recovery

in any scenario, for fastboot to work, you need a working ADB setup and the fastboot program on your PC

------

you can completely install CM11 without replacing the internal recovery partition of your NOOK which is what that fastboot instruction is trying to get you to do.

the special internal recovery, as I understand it, is only for compatability with the automated CM updating process.

you can boot from an SD card that has CWM 6.0.4.x , or TWRP , and as long as the CM 11 nightly is on the SDcard too, or in the NOOK internal memory, you can flash it.

Reactions: alex828

mikeataol

Nov 21, 2013
I am more confused :(

can you take me step by step or link me to a relevant thread ?

I am sorry if i am taking your time ..

--------- assuming you want to update your NOOK's INTERNAL software, and not run CM11 from an SDcard

I apologize had wrong file linked first post

this zip file should be flashable through your current CWM (6MB)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/0f5fjkjvxp1hga0/flashable_CWM_6.0.4.5(2).zip

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48855275&postcount=2

it should update your internal recovery to cwm 6.0.4.5

then you should be able to flash the CM11 nightly and gapps without error

--------------------------

a different (I think slightly more dangerous) way to load the newer recovey to your internal was posted here:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48317620&postcount=15

get the newest recovery image file -

File: http://goo.im/devs/chrmhoffmann/cm-11.0/acclaim/recovery-0.2.img
md5sum: e2a87c433171b3d97d852d27aea1ff49

-------

You can install it from a terminal emulator, if you want to.

1. Download the cwm-recovery.img file referenced in the first post of the thread.
2. Copy this file to the internal memory of your Nook Tablet. Rename this file to cwm.img.
3. On your Nook Tablet, launch Android Terminal Emulator (ATE).
4. In ATE, type in 'su' [ENTER]. Grant it access when prompted.
5. In ATE, type in 'cd /emmc' [ENTER]. This will change your file system current directory to /emmc, which corresponds to the internal storage drive.
6. In ATE, type in 'ls' [ENTER]. This will list the contents of the /emmc directory. You should see the cwm.img file you copied over and renamed earlier (step 2).
7. In ATE, type in 'dd if=/emmc/cwm.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3' [ENTER]. This will write the contents of the cwm.img file to partition 3 of device mmcblk0 (internal memory).

You should now be able to reboot and use cwm. CAREFUL, as you could brick your device if you get step 7 wrong.

Last edited:

mikeataol

Nov 21, 2013
@mikeataol

It worked perfectly. Just flashed it and it udpated to lastest CWM.

Installed CM 11 and got GApps and installed them too. Now downloading some PDF apps to see if they work smoothly and no stuttering is there.

In CM 11 , there is no option for "reboot to recovery" , why so ? I had to use cnyaboot option to enter into recovery.

Great!

re: reboot recovery
you have to unlock developer options first by going into
Settings/ About Tablet / Build Number
and tapping the "build number" field 7 times.

then you see a new settings group "developer options",
and in there is advanced reboot and other things.

---------- Post added at 04:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 AM ----------

are you on an 8GB / 512 MB ram, or a 16GB 1GB RAM Nook tablet?

Reactions: naveen_reloaded
Lol , just found that reboot to recovery , came here to say i found , you already replied. :)

Installing bexus kernel.

Thanks a lot for your help.

One thing though. The scroll stuttering issue is there . Its as if the screen refresh rate or frames per second is not upto the mark , scrolling is very stuttering.

Is there any way to increase or solve this issue ? Please

this is killing the whole tablet and the purpose i want to use this tablet .. ie to read books.

I use 16Gb/1GB tablet

Last edited:

mikeataol

Nov 21, 2013
how to enable multi touch ?

Also i think there is a serious problem with the screen/display. There is considerable lag and its not smooth scrolling. Its very stuttery...

I would not enable the multi touch, thats just asking for even more trouble.

I think you should consider a total re wipe , and start over

on a 16GB Nook Tablet, the nightly just by itself should run fine

i just downloaded and opened a 71mb pdf file with no issues whatsoever

opens in Adobe reader just fine, scrolling and zooming and searching is perfectly acceptable, nothing I would describe as a stutter
----

if you HAD enabled the multi touch while you were on CM10, I'd consider reflashing the stock LCD firmware before you put CM11 back on it

Last edited:
yeah flashed thrice and i have witheld flashing bexus kernel for time being.

Stutter in the way , the refresh rate is not upto the mark

To best see this issue , dont swipe a text/pdf fast , do it slowly then you will see the jerkiness and also a lag between your swiping and actual screen change.

LCD firmware ? where to get it ?

mikeataol

Nov 21, 2013
yeah flashed thrice and i have witheld flashing bexus kernel for time being.

Stutter in the way , the refresh rate is not upto the mark

To best see this issue , dont swipe a text/pdf fast , do it slowly then you will see the jerkiness and also a lag between your swiping and actual screen change.

LCD firmware ? where to get it ?

to me, seeing a white page while adobe pdf loads the next buffer of pages several pagesahead is normal
I dont see anything abnormal while swiping slowly

re: LCD firmware
if you were on CM10, and fashed the 10 point LCD firmware, then I think you would need to rebuild the unit back to CM10, and reflash the stock LCD firmware.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aatt.fpsm&hl=en

Used this app and saw that fps varies and it varies like from 7 - 50 during reading pdf.

On slow scrolling of pdf , it only shows 11 or so fps , which is why i think shows the stuttering effect

Used the same app on my GS3 to see the difference and it holds its FPS at 60+ and not dropping below 50.

I think if i can make this tablet to render everything at 30+ fps i might not feel this stuttering effect.

Last edited:

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
Which PDF reader are you using?

I don't have any stuttering issue on the Mantano Reader.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I want to move to CM 11.

Hi, repartitioning doesnt need to be done with a new rom install.

IF THIS IS A CLEAN INSTALL
    you dont HAVE to install it through flashing a new recovery using fastboot
    you just need a working newer CWM , or a working TWRP that you can boot

if you can boot to an older Clockwordmod recovery in any form, you can flash a newer version of CWM to the internal by using a zip file , this user has a couple of the newest ones hosted here:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/3j4kxa3bwkrs1/CLOCKWORKMODS <--------------------------------------------- my compilation of a few important CWM versions in case u dont like twrp (like me).

after you flash the new recovery, remove the SDcard, power completely down,

press and hold the "N" NOOK button, and hold the power button for just a second or 2 after you see the tablet boot, and you should be prompted for the new recovery that you just flashed.

---
    the newer recoveries have an option on the boot menu to start fastboot. So, if you really wanted to follow the instructions to the letter, get or make a working sd card of a newer CWM recovery, boot to it, then as long as your adb/utilities folder on your PC has fastboot in it, you can fastboot the recovery-0.2.img as is in the cm11 thread.

I found I never had to use fastboot before this cm11 install , so I didnt even have the fastboot on my pc side and had to hunt it down.

my first several installs of CM11 were done using an older boot sdcard that had TWRP recovery on it and it works fine.

----

it will probably be a lot easier it you have a working tablet, to have the copied the zips for cm11 and the gapps you want to install to the tablets
    internal memory first, before flashing the new recovery internally

---------- (I completely forgot this other possibility, I'm always just doing clean installs)

IF YOU WANT CM to automatically upgrade though the CM updater process on a running CM10
    then , yes you need the newer recovery, and it probably is best if it is the recovery-0.2.img the developer posted in the CM11 thread.
    I've never tried it so I dont know how well it migrates your "stuff" from CM10 to CM11

theres a lot of changes to the way storage is mounted in CM11 , and the CM updating process is an important thing they are trying to make as seamless as possible.

If theres stuff on the tablet you really need, I'd save it first before doing any kind of major upgrade like this.
    I am more confused :(

can you take me step by step or link me to a relevant thread ?

I am sorry if i am taking your time ..

--------- assuming you want to update your NOOK's INTERNAL software, and not run CM11 from an SDcard

I apologize had wrong file linked first post

this zip file should be flashable through your current CWM (6MB)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/0f5fjkjvxp1hga0/flashable_CWM_6.0.4.5(2).zip

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48855275&postcount=2

it should update your internal recovery to cwm 6.0.4.5

then you should be able to flash the CM11 nightly and gapps without error

--------------------------

a different (I think slightly more dangerous) way to load the newer recovey to your internal was posted here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48317620&postcount=15

get the newest recovery image file -

File: http://goo.im/devs/chrmhoffmann/cm-11.0/acclaim/recovery-0.2.img
    md5sum: e2a87c433171b3d97d852d27aea1ff49

-------

You can install it from a terminal emulator, if you want to.

1. Download the cwm-recovery.img file referenced in the first post of the thread.
    2. Copy this file to the internal memory of your Nook Tablet. Rename this file to cwm.img.
    3. On your Nook Tablet, launch Android Terminal Emulator (ATE).
    4. In ATE, type in 'su' [ENTER]. Grant it access when prompted.
    5. In ATE, type in 'cd /emmc' [ENTER]. This will change your file system current directory to /emmc, which corresponds to the internal storage drive.
    6. In ATE, type in 'ls' [ENTER]. This will list the contents of the /emmc directory. You should see the cwm.img file you copied over and renamed earlier (step 2).
    7. In ATE, type in 'dd if=/emmc/cwm.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3' [ENTER]. This will write the contents of the cwm.img file to partition 3 of device mmcblk0 (internal memory).

You should now be able to reboot and use cwm. CAREFUL, as you could brick your device if you get step 7 wrong.

the latest nightlies of CM11 on a 16GB tablet (has 1GB RAM) are fantastic. best thing ever, especially if you replace the kernel with one that user:demetris has supplied.

I havent run the CM11 on an 8GB (512MB RAM) tablet yet, but it really is a good package.

Its kinda like when Windows 7 came out, its what should have been released instead of XP or Windows 98, its really, really good.
    Just tell me .. is flashing recovery via fastboot is same for all devices or for nook tablet its different. Also i need a SD card to do this ?

Can you help me how to flash recovery via fastboot for our nook tablet ?

hmmm...

Ive seen fastboot on other devices, Kindle Fires, which I think have a motherboard thats a close match to the NOOK tablet.
    on the Kindle, you can force fastboot by using a special cable.

if you need fastboot on the NOOK, the recovery program that you execute at boot has to have the option to start fastboot.
    you can boot a recovery that has that option from an internal recovery (CWM newer versions have it, I dont remember about older versions)
    or you can boot from an SD card you make that boots a CWM recovery

in any scenario, for fastboot to work, you need a working ADB setup and the fastboot program on your PC

------

you can completely install CM11 without replacing the internal recovery partition of your NOOK which is what that fastboot instruction is trying to get you to do.

the special internal recovery, as I understand it, is only for compatability with the automated CM updating process.

you can boot from an SD card that has CWM 6.0.4.x , or TWRP , and as long as the CM 11 nightly is on the SDcard too, or in the NOOK internal memory, you can flash it.
    @mikeataol

It worked perfectly. Just flashed it and it udpated to lastest CWM.

Installed CM 11 and got GApps and installed them too. Now downloading some PDF apps to see if they work smoothly and no stuttering is there.

In CM 11 , there is no option for "reboot to recovery" , why so ? I had to use cnyaboot option to enter into recovery.

Great!

re: reboot recovery
    you have to unlock developer options first by going into
    Settings/ About Tablet / Build Number
    and tapping the "build number" field 7 times.

then you see a new settings group "developer options",
    and in there is advanced reboot and other things.

---------- Post added at 04:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 AM ----------

are you on an 8GB / 512 MB ram, or a 16GB 1GB RAM Nook tablet?