[Theme][Substratum][5.x-7.x] Material Glass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

asdfasdfvful

Apr 21, 2013
Montreal
allanwang.ca
Let your wallpaper shine beneath material darkness!

I proudly present to you my first cm based system theme! As I'm still only getting into things, there may be lots of issues that need fixing. Also note that Cyanogenmod has only just merged the theme code, and will need to undergo significant changes before everything is as theme friendly as lollipop. Theme choosers are more restricted than regular zips/vrthemes, so please bear with me as I figure things out.

Themed Components

• Updated list in the app UI

---SYSTEM---

[*] Framework-res
    [*] SystemUI
    [*] Settings
    [*] Cell Broadcast Receiver
    [*] Documents UI
    [*] Face Lock
    [*] Phone
    [*] Telecom
    [*] CyanogenMod Account
    [*] CyanogenMod Music Player (Eleven)
    [*] Cyanogenmod Lock Clock
    [*] Cyanogenmod Setup Wizard
    [*] Cyanogenmod Trebuchet
    [*] Cyanogenmod Updater
    [*] Cyanogenmod Theme Chooser
    [*] Euphoria OTA

---AOSP---

[*] Calculator
    [*] Contacts
    [*] Desk Clock
    [*] Dialer
    [*] AOSP Keyboard
    [*] Launcher 3
    [*] MMS

---GOOGLE---

[*] Google + (in xda version)
    [*] Gmail
    [*] Google Search
    [*] Google Now
    [*] Youtube (bug fix only)
    [*] Google Keyboard
    [*] Google Handwriting

---USER---

[*] K9-Mail
    [*] Notification Manager (xposed)
    [*] SnapPref (xposed)
    [*] Snapchat (light touches)
    [*] Nova Launcher
    [*] Xposed
    [*] Hells Core Kernel Updater
    [*] Switchr
    [*] Ebay (notification fix)
    [*] Adobe Acrobat (in xda version)
    [*] ModernHub (in xda version)

What are you waiting for? Download now!

Free Version - auto updates on the play store; generally stable with the core components themed
XDA Version (no mirrors please) - beta apk's containing the bleeding edge of glass darkness
I have decided not to do a pro version anymore. All stable additions will be added to the free version. You'll have the option to donate via the app or via paypal though.

Bug Reports

As the theme chooser is still in alpha, there are lots of issues, pertaining to both the theme itself and the apps it modifies. As such, bug reports will be quite necessary for development.

Before submitting one, please take a look at the FAQ and bug/issues sections in the app itself. Then, send me an email from the app (where the system info will be added automatically), as well as any screenshots/logs that might help. I will try to resolve the issues as quickly as I can.

Screenshots

4NSwOgYzoa6SWULH3DaYhg5Oi5X8TvbHXIziQRvSrzQlU7VfZFcw3vHRmzICFJMTAA=h900

uP0HZ2pU3IaEwvjPzXMDkgJyagDcsUz3qojZru4NJNhypMcJV4Z_y9Ehzkbtou4EplE=h900

NBLbrU-VgZyEylNUuiVhRipDPo98ox-XpT-S_5xkalvrDB8Bi0ZBDlIXAtZ-j3aoVYM=h900

Nn37V5f8Zu3I6zoW08NJogdANaYYQiJ3y0x0Kd7V4mUYnsD222vajds4eYuC_0dPog=h900

wtmdFpYDji2uBUoLGshXgaT4cuY4l2ZTZrl-Hk8nR4ax_7qNwruUwwW7R8y6iRWWXg=h900

Want more clearness?

Check out

Google + Beta:

Want to help test out the beta builds? They are essentially the play store builds that are released to a small audience before being sent to public production. Opt in to beta from this community.

Credits:

@djdarkknight96 for always helping me and tirelessly answering literally every single question I've had about theming.

XDA:DevDB Information
Material Glass, Theme for the Google Nexus 5

Contributors
asdfasdfvful
Source Code: https://github.com/PitchedApps/Material-Glass-Substratum

Version Information

Created 2015-01-17
Last Updated 2019-05-18

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-01-19-16-54-44.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-01-19-16-54-44.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 53,768
  • Screenshot_2015-01-19-16-54-37.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-01-19-16-54-37.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 53,501
  • Screenshot_2015-01-21-22-26-26.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-01-21-22-26-26.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 52,720
  • Screenshot_2015-01-21-22-26-43.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-01-21-22-26-43.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 51,035
Last edited:

asdfasdfvful

Apr 21, 2013
Montreal
allanwang.ca
Reserved

To the Themers

I have always believed in open source projects, and have open sourced Material Glass since day 1. This is a great way to see the works of a very in depth theme, but it is NOT an invitation to copy and serve as your own. As of this edit, Material Glass is Substratum based, and I have tools that can help you build your themes more easily here. The repo also contains Travis integration for automated test builds, which you are free to use for yourself.

To the Users

The primary download location for the Substratum builds are on AFH as I don't find them stable enough to be on the play store. They are also updated as Github releases which you are free to follow, as well as the automated test releases. Think of these builds as small deltas, that only contain overlays that are being worked on. Hope you enjoy the theme!

Last edited:

TheKnux

Sep 28, 2011
Akron
OnePlus 9
OnePlus 9 Pro
He can pm me if necessary. Making the theme and the zip are almost the same thing, except you have more restrictions on the theme chooser

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Well he definitely has the mod down, it's just every time a new nightly is released, he has to go in and change things to get it to work until the next nightly. If he can just make it a theme, he wouldn't have to worry about changing it every time a new version of the rom is released.

asdfasdfvful

Apr 21, 2013
Montreal
allanwang.ca
Well he definitely has the mod down, it's just every time a new nightly is released, he has to go in and change things to get it to work until the next nightly. If he can just make it a theme, he wouldn't have to worry about changing it every time a new version of the rom is released.
I understand. Please note that the roms are still not fully compatible with theme choosers. All the hex needs to be moved out of Java and layouts before we can fully theme it. As such, things like the settings app can't be changed. Creating the app is almost the same as making the zip, which is why I'm asking the other themer to pm me if he has issues. But as of now, our main concern is pushing commits to get the ability to theme and to just wait for it all to clear up

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

dekefake

Oct 28, 2013
Orleans, France
Bug report

I proudly present to you my first cm based system theme! As I'm still only getting into things, there may be lots of issues that need fixing. Also note that Cyanogenmod has only just merged the theme code, and will need to undergo significant changes before everything is as theme friendly as lollipop. Theme choosers are more restricted than regular zips/vrthemes, so please bear with me as I figure things out.

Themed Components

• framework-res
  • systemui
  • documentsui

What are you waiting for?

Download Now

Want more clearness?

Check out

Credits:

@djdarkknight96 for always helping me and tirelessly answering literally every single question I've had about theming.

Contributors
asdfasdfvful

Version Information

Created 2015-01-17
Last Updated 2015-01-16

Bug in sound panel. The three mode buttons are not themed in my Euphoria OS 2014 01 16 with CM12 theme engine. But awesome theme for everything else. Think to theme settings too, to make list partially translucent.

Cheers

Reactions: Double Boltz

aaronpw0621

Nov 15, 2013
Spokane
I have found issue with text being white on white background. Other than that this is really great to have a theme working for new CM12 theme engine

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-01-17-07-46-23.png
    Screenshot_2015-01-17-07-46-23.png
    130.5 KB · Views: 2,345

chris6278

Jun 16, 2010
So i take it this only works on the n5? Tried with a nexus 6 but its says failed to install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Themed Components

• Updated list in the app UI

---SYSTEM---

[*] Framework-res
      [*] SystemUI
      [*] Settings
      [*] Cell Broadcast Receiver
      [*] Documents UI
      [*] Face Lock
      [*] Phone
      [*] Telecom
      [*] CyanogenMod Account
      [*] CyanogenMod Music Player (Eleven)
      [*] Cyanogenmod Lock Clock
      [*] Cyanogenmod Setup Wizard
      [*] Cyanogenmod Trebuchet
      [*] Cyanogenmod Updater
      [*] Cyanogenmod Theme Chooser
      [*] Euphoria OTA

---AOSP---

[*] Calculator
      [*] Contacts
      [*] Desk Clock
      [*] Dialer
      [*] AOSP Keyboard
      [*] Launcher 3
      [*] MMS

---GOOGLE---

[*] Google + (in xda version)
      [*] Gmail
      [*] Google Search
      [*] Google Now
      [*] Youtube (bug fix only)
      [*] Google Keyboard
      [*] Google Handwriting

---USER---

[*] K9-Mail
      [*] Notification Manager (xposed)
      [*] SnapPref (xposed)
      [*] Snapchat (light touches)
      [*] Nova Launcher
      [*] Xposed
      [*] Hells Core Kernel Updater
      [*] Switchr
      [*] Ebay (notification fix)
      [*] Adobe Acrobat (in xda version)
      [*] ModernHub (in xda version)

What are you waiting for? Download now!

Free Version - auto updates on the play store; generally stable with the core components themed
    XDA Version (no mirrors please) - beta apk's containing the bleeding edge of glass darkness
    I have decided not to do a pro version anymore. All stable additions will be added to the free version. You'll have the option to donate via the app or via paypal though.

Bug Reports

As the theme chooser is still in alpha, there are lots of issues, pertaining to both the theme itself and the apps it modifies. As such, bug reports will be quite necessary for development.

Before submitting one, please take a look at the FAQ and bug/issues sections in the app itself. Then, send me an email from the app (where the system info will be added automatically), as well as any screenshots/logs that might help. I will try to resolve the issues as quickly as I can.

Screenshots

4NSwOgYzoa6SWULH3DaYhg5Oi5X8TvbHXIziQRvSrzQlU7VfZFcw3vHRmzICFJMTAA=h900

uP0HZ2pU3IaEwvjPzXMDkgJyagDcsUz3qojZru4NJNhypMcJV4Z_y9Ehzkbtou4EplE=h900

NBLbrU-VgZyEylNUuiVhRipDPo98ox-XpT-S_5xkalvrDB8Bi0ZBDlIXAtZ-j3aoVYM=h900

Nn37V5f8Zu3I6zoW08NJogdANaYYQiJ3y0x0Kd7V4mUYnsD222vajds4eYuC_0dPog=h900

wtmdFpYDji2uBUoLGshXgaT4cuY4l2ZTZrl-Hk8nR4ax_7qNwruUwwW7R8y6iRWWXg=h900

Want more clearness?

Check out

Google + Beta:

Want to help test out the beta builds? They are essentially the play store builds that are released to a small audience before being sent to public production. Opt in to beta from this community.

Credits:

Contributors
    asdfasdfvful
    Source Code: https://github.com/PitchedApps/Material-Glass-Substratum

Version Information

Created 2015-01-17
    Last Updated 2019-05-18
    Reserved

To the Themers

I have always believed in open source projects, and have open sourced Material Glass since day 1. This is a great way to see the works of a very in depth theme, but it is NOT an invitation to copy and serve as your own. As of this edit, Material Glass is Substratum based, and I have tools that can help you build your themes more easily here. The repo also contains Travis integration for automated test builds, which you are free to use for yourself.

To the Users

The primary download location for the Substratum builds are on AFH as I don't find them stable enough to be on the play store. They are also updated as Github releases which you are free to follow, as well as the automated test releases. Think of these builds as small deltas, that only contain overlays that are being worked on. Hope you enjoy the theme!
    Hello everyone.

Unfortunately, the day has come where I am officially terminating my development for Substratum themes. I no longer have the time to work on it, and I don't want to keep you all waiting for another potential update. A few things I'd like to note:

This was my first major project which I started 4 years ago, well before I knew how to program. For those of you who are interested, there are plenty of guides online, namely from Team BlackOut, which helped me get started. The learning curve is not steep, but it is a very time consuming project. You are essentially reverse engineering dozens of apps, and need to fix them every time they update. Especially with newer Substratum changes which allow access to layout res, incompatibilities will be even more common.

Material Glass was the first theme ever to exist after Lollipop was released. It had really fast development in the beginning, because I was in high school and quite literally spent 6 to even 10 hours in a given day working on it. To put this to perspective, icon pack devs typically theme ~ 3000 icons to make a very big pack. MG not only has hundreds of launcher icons, but has thousands and thousands of other png files. And that's not considering the xml. Recently, I have written numerous scripts to make this process a lot more streamlined, but it also occurred while I was transitioning into a much bigger workload, which meant no more time for MG.

I have always been an advocate of open source projects, so MG has been open sourced from the very beginning. The sources can be found here: https://github.com/PitchedApps/Material-Glass-Substratum along with everything else you may need. I'm allowing everyone to freely use the content for their own base or updates. Just consider using a different name, as Material Glass reflects the work of this theme in its current state. You do not need any dev knowledge to work on the theming portion. In fact, with the scripts and Travis, I didn't have to use Android Studio at all to work on themes.

I'm now at a time where I only have a few hours a week that I can truly allot to my own projects. You guys may have seen that Frost for Facebook is my new focus. It offers the glass theme that you are all accustomed to (which substratum can't replicate), so if that interests you, please check it out here!

I am going to keep this thread opened for now if anyone has any questions in regards to theming. Hopefully MG has made you enjoy UI just a bit more, and I wish you all the best in the world of themes.
    MG Substratum v3.2

• Started changelog and automation
    • Reworked Play Store
    • Themed Substratum App
    • Removed dropbox since it definitely isn't working
    • Added launcher icon
    • WIP: Google dev console

For now I'll still be uploading to AFH, but I'll also start publishing the releases to Github. If you use Github, you can likely watch the repo and get notified on releases. (I don't test these releases, but since I test the deltas below, it should be fine)

I'm also introducing automated builds of overlays I'm testing; think of them like small deltas that only contain overlays I'm updating, along with system overlays. They can be found here.

I do plan on updating Material Glass on the play store, but I'd like to make sure everything is stable and working like before before I bother with that.
    A lot of progress has been made for MGS in the last few days.

I'm doing what I've wanted to do for a while and I'm rewriting most of the theme. It will be in a way so that I can easily customize it and add more color options in the future.

Currently, I've rewritten the framework and the SystemUI with the original Material Glass color, along with a new variant with Material Red and a Dark (not transparent base).

I'm not sure how I plan on packaging the app yet, and I'll likely have separate apks for each theme, but as of now it looks promising.

My priority now goes to theming the rest of the system, and addressing fc such as the play store as mentioned above.