[Q] Nexus 6 Miracast?

Search This thread

ryan4a

Nov 26, 2014
So mirscast is not currently supported? Our only option is Chromecast?
Yeah, I'm pretty upset about this. Every miracast page I visit says ALL android devices with 4.2 and above are supported. So why not android 5.0 on Nexus 6? Is Google really forcing Nexus 6 owners to use chromecast only?!? What if we don't have, or want to use, wifi? I just want to mirror my brand new Nexus 6 to my TV, not stream content. The google support page lists the Nexus 6 & 9 as supported chromecast devices, but not for miracast.

Any possibility of a someone enabling this option? Please help!?! I think the proper hardware is there.

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012
I find it very hard to believe that the Nexus 6 doesn't support Wifi Direct or Miracast at the hardware level. It's probably just disabled in the factory images.

A custom rom should be able to use it. If not, there's something profoundly wrong with the phone.

Then again, there's still suspiciously no Wi-Fi Alliance certification for the Nexus 6.

ryan4a

Nov 26, 2014
I find it very hard to believe that the Nexus 6 doesn't support Wifi Direct or Miracast at the hardware level. It's probably just disabled in the factory images.

A custom rom should be able to use it. If not, there's something profoundly wrong with the phone.

Then again, there's still suspiciously no Wi-Fi Alliance certification for the Nexus 6.

The Nexus 6 does have WiFi Direct, but not miracast. Are these the same? Should I be able to use a miracast device with my Nexus 6 without WiFi?

---------- Post added at 03:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 AM ----------

try build.prop hack to enabling Miracast, AT YOUR OWN RISK!

I don't have N6.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using XDA Free mobile app

Please explain further. What do I need to do to enable Miracast? I'm a bit of a noob. Do I modify build.prop? I am unlocked and rooted.
Thanks

utahcybercowboy

Apr 4, 2007
Problem solved traded in my Nexus 6 for a Note 4. This feature was important to me. Hopefully Lollipop will be available soon and Miracast will still work.

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012
The Nexus 6 does have WiFi Direct, but not miracast. Are these the same? Should I be able to use a miracast device with my Nexus 6 without WiFi?

---------- Post added at 03:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 AM ----------

Please explain further. What do I need to do to enable Miracast? I'm a bit of a noob. Do I modify build.prop? I am unlocked and rooted.
Thanks

Miracast uses WiFi Direct

s107ken

Apr 2, 2013
Fukushima
d.hatena.ne.jp
Code:
// connected device to PC via adb (usb)
 $ adb root
 $ adb remount
 $ adb pull /system/build.prop
 (add persist.debug.wfd.enable=1 to build.prop using text editor)
 (Build Prop Editor app)
 $ adb push build.prop /system/
 $ adb shell chmod 644 /system/build.prop
 $ adb reboot

Reactions: MunkinDrunky

buffalowolff

Feb 5, 2011
Edited. Initially this didn't look like it worked however that's not entirely true. I am now able to connect to my push2tv adapter however I'm have stability issues. In did notice there was a WiFi network going in and out which has caused me problems in the past (this setup is in my car). I'll try again out in the open and report back.

Last edited:

italia0101

Nov 9, 2008
This is a real pain in the ass, so if I want to mirror my screen at my gfs house, what are my options?

Connect the chromecast to her wifi? There's no other direct connection way?

ryan4a

Nov 26, 2014
After modifying the build.prop I was able to get miracast working without WiFi on my Nexus 6 (thanks s107ken)! It mirrors my screen perfectly and plays web videos and youtube. However, it will NOT play Netflix or Hulu videos. The sound works and the controls show up, but no video. Just a black screen. I thought this may be because of a HDCP or DRM issue.

Any thoughts or workarounds? Maybe the EZCast app? Please help!

Thanks

italia0101

Nov 9, 2008
After modifying the build.prop I was able to get miracast working without WiFi on my Nexus 6 (thanks s107ken)! It mirrors my screen perfectly and plays web videos and youtube. However, it will NOT play Netflix or Hulu videos. The sound works and the controls show up, but no video. Just a black screen. I thought this may be because of a HDCP or DRM issue.

Any thoughts or workarounds? Maybe the EZCast app? Please help!

Thanks
What's your receiver?

ryan4a

Nov 26, 2014
Thanks, it does sound like a DRM issue on Netflix and Hulu.

Is the video decent quality? Smooth playback?

I'm planning to use it for plex if so

Yes, it is smooth on what I'm able to play. I just desperately want to be able to mirror Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc. Any suggestions for a fix? Please help!

italia0101

Nov 9, 2008
Yes, it is smooth on what I'm able to play. I just desperately want to be able to mirror Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc. Any suggestions for a fix? Please help!
Do you have any other sources you could try? Like media from the phone or plex... Just trying to see if it's a DRM thing or something else.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There is a really easy way for enabling Miracast in N6.
    The device has to be rooted.
    Just edit /system/build.prop with any editor and add the following line:
    Code:
    persist.debug.wfd.enable=1
    Save it and perform a reboot.

Now you can use Miracast.

The issue of not displaying correctly at MS Wireless Display Adapter, happens to me with my nvidia Shield too. N6 with modified build.prop works fine, despite I could not test hulu or Netflix.
    Code:
    // connected device to PC via adb (usb)
     $ adb root
     $ adb remount
     $ adb pull /system/build.prop
     (add persist.debug.wfd.enable=1 to build.prop using text editor)
     (Build Prop Editor app)
     $ adb push build.prop /system/
     $ adb shell chmod 644 /system/build.prop
     $ adb reboot
    What's your receiver?

For miracasting, I'm using the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter. My TV is a Samsung (non-smart TV).
    I've attached another logcat that should have the miracast log. Please let me know.

Thanks

I don't find "wifidisplaysource" strings.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using XDA Free mobile app
    OK, I've gotten sick of having to update the build.prop every stinking time when flashing these ever increasing stock builds. So, I added the following code to the end of my modified flash-all.bat so it will automatically add the persist function to the build.prop.

Now, if you don't know how this works, then, don't do it. I will not be offering support on this. I just thought I would share my automation for those who know what they are doing. Backups are your friend, use them.

There may be an easier way to perform this, this is just how I went about it.

This pulls the build.prop, modifies it, pushes it to the sdcard, then moves it to system, then fixes the permissions and ownership. By default, it will leave a backup copy of the modified build.prop on your computer. This assumes you have root.

Code:
    adb pull /system/build.prop
    echo persist.debug.wfd.enable=1 >> build.prop 
    adb push build.prop /sdcard/
    adb shell "su -c" mount -o remount,rw /system
    adb shell "su -c" mv /sdcard/build.prop /system/
    adb shell "su -c" chmod 644 /system/build.prop
    adb shell "su -c" chown root:root /system/build.prop
    adb reboot

Thanks to SamuriHL for letting me bounce stuff off of him.....