Review of the S-View Wireless charging cover and wireless charging pad

Search This thread

mahst68

Aug 29, 2010
Indianapolis
I have had both the s-view case and charging pad now for a couple days. This has been my experience. Case texture is kind-of-slippery due to the feux leather but not bad. Weight and bulk feels good in hand (that's what she said....) :p Can't beat wireless charging when I go to bed, just drop it off on the pad and bam! charged. As for the closing cover and this is only my experience, my stays closed. I drive to work 45 minutes the past 2 days and place the phone / case in a holder that requires me to fold back the S-view cover. Even After 45 minutes, take it out of holder, close the front completely to the phone and it stays shut. I have a feeling that maybe some might be manufactured "stiffer" then others or the flip binding material on some might be a little off which just results in not closing completely. I would say try to "stretch it out" and see if closing becomes better for those having issues. I guess I was luck and got a "good one" but well worth the money spend with the discount at verizon!:good:

eyecon82

May 30, 2010
Strange - mine closes flat even after bending it all the way back for 5+ minutes. It just takes about 30-seconds or so to close the last 1/4 inch completely.

Maybe it's a tolerance thing. I know my old s-view cover had that issue.

I went into a Verizon store yesterday to pick up the case and charger. I really like the feel and the heft that the case adds to the phone. Like everyone else here, I paid $79 + tax for both items. My experience follows several others here:

-Case stays closed even after folding back for a few minutes.
-Charge rate is about 1% per minute.
-Case looks AWESOME on my phone.

One question: when I get a phone call, the phone announces the caller. I could not find how to turn this off in settings. Anyone know how? Incidentally, I also have the Gear 2 Neo (in case that is relavent to the question). Thanks!

I have had both the s-view case and charging pad now for a couple days. This has been my experience. Case texture is kind-of-slippery due to the feux leather but not bad. Weight and bulk feels good in hand (that's what she said....) :p Can't beat wireless charging when I go to bed, just drop it off on the pad and bam! charged. As for the closing cover and this is only my experience, my stays closed. I drive to work 45 minutes the past 2 days and place the phone / case in a holder that requires me to fold back the S-view cover. Even After 45 minutes, take it out of holder, close the front completely to the phone and it stays shut. I have a feeling that maybe some might be manufactured "stiffer" then others or the flip binding material on some might be a little off which just results in not closing completely. I would say try to "stretch it out" and see if closing becomes better for those having issues. I guess I was luck and got a "good one" but well worth the money spend with the discount at verizon!:good:

My non wireless charging one would not even fold .....

this one maybe starts out at a 30 degree angle, and then maybe gets almost all the way shut after 1 minute....up to the last quarter inch..and stays that way....

are you guys saying yours stays shut completely flat, immediately? and not even 5 degrees remaining?

ALSO

what is your charging rate with new pad using galaxy charging current app? I'm getting 760mA with my old pad

Last edited:

skyline23

Oct 12, 2013
Saratoga
My shuts completely flat.

If I pull the flap all the way back and use the phone for say 10-minutes, and place the phone on a desk and not touch it.. it will shut completely flat after a few minutes.

Reactions: eyecon82

eyecon82

May 30, 2010

If I pull the flap all the way back and use the phone for say 10-minutes, and place the phone on a desk and not touch it.. it will shut completely flat after a few minutes.

Not even a eighth of an inch gap? Mine shuts all the way except for the last eighth of an inch

Anyways, at least it doesn't stay open like the non-wireless one

-Sent from Tapatalk

sirkim

Jan 1, 2009
Hello skyline23,

Can you post a photo to see the difference of thickness betwen the wireless and the non wireless s view cover ?
How long does it take to do a complete charge ?

Last edited:

admiral70

Dec 15, 2006
Received both mine yesterday immediately installed and touched to pad just to make sure it worked. At bedtime I put it on the pad (did not have to mess around with usb cover, nice.). For some reason in the middle of the night I woke up to a redish blinking light. Picked up phone was not warm and it was 100% charged. That light will drive me crazy so I will be finding some black electrical tape to hide it.

One question perhaps you guys know. Say you put on pad at bedtime it charges in 1-2 hours does it hurt anything to stay on charge until morning when you wake up?

Thanks all I must say I am new to wireless charge but can't see ever going back. Now off to find more pads at a cheaper price.

eyecon82

May 30, 2010
My old samsung pad takes 4 hours to charge it fully

-Sent from Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 01:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

My old samsung pad takes 4 hours to charge it fully

Maybe the new one is faster somehow?

-Sent from Tapatalk

-Sent from Tapatalk

skyline23

Oct 12, 2013
Saratoga
Received both mine yesterday immediately installed and touched to pad just to make sure it worked. At bedtime I put it on the pad (did not have to mess around with usb cover, nice.). For some reason in the middle of the night I woke up to a redish blinking light. Picked up phone was not warm and it was 100% charged. That light will drive me crazy so I will be finding some black electrical tape to hide it.

One question perhaps you guys know. Say you put on pad at bedtime it charges in 1-2 hours does it hurt anything to stay on charge until morning when you wake up?

Thanks all I must say I am new to wireless charge but can't see ever going back. Now off to find more pads at a cheaper price.

go to your local ATT store (if you're in the US)

and look for the nokia DT-900 charging pad. It's been recommended here on xda for a while now.

The LED is tiny, and you won't notice it and the quality is very nice. Only negatives is that the plug is not microUSB.

LorenZacci

Feb 4, 2014
Hi, does anyone know if there are third party wireless charging Qi-certified cases available? The Samsung Wireless Charging Cover didn't fit in any case so I had to return it in exchange for the S-View Flip Cover...but I'm not completely satisfied with it either. The Samsung Mini Wireless Charging Pad seems nice but it's out-of-stock everywhere. Where did you guys get yours? I found a seller online that sells it for $39 USD, but I see that the version model is EP-PG900IBEGWW so I'm not sure if it's compatible...

kill_dano

Oct 25, 2007
So how do all of you feel about the whole S-view thing? is it a pain to open and have the flap?

akash_84

Dec 6, 2006
For those that have this - Does the phone charge if it was placed on the wireless charging unit/receiver when the flap is folded back?

I want to grab a QI car dock but obviously when docked, the flap would be folded back so I can use the sat nav etc. Wondering if it will charge or not.

Thanks in advance

eyecon82

May 30, 2010
For those that have this - Does the phone charge if it was placed on the wireless charging unit/receiver when the flap is folded back?

I want to grab a QI car dock but obviously when docked, the flap would be folded back so I can use the sat nav etc. Wondering if it will charge or not.

Thanks in advance

Haven't tried that yet, but I do know it doesn't work face down

-Sent from Tapatalk

johnhkhk

May 1, 2011

Thanks in advance

Tried that and sadly it doesn't charge that way. It's probably because when the flap is folded back it's too thick for the wireless charging unit/receiver to work. :( Am considering getting the Air Dock...Has anyone used that? Would love to hear if anyone has experience using the Air Dock (if the phone is really secure on it and won't fell off on bumpy roads!)

eyecon82

May 30, 2010

Thanks in advance

Just tried it and it works with flap folded back.

Tried that and sadly it doesn't charge that way. It's probably because when the flap is folded back it's too thick for the wireless charging unit/receiver to work. :( Am considering getting the Air Dock...Has anyone used that? Would love to hear if anyone has experience using the Air Dock (if the phone is really secure on it and won't fell off on bumpy roads!)
Weird. What kind of pad are you using? It works with the flap folded back with the older samsung pad.
Here are stock pictures of the older pad
e5a3e9as.jpg

ny5ezuje.jpg

-Sent from Tapatalk

johnhkhk

May 1, 2011

Weird. What kind of pad are you using? It works with the flap folded back with the older samsung pad.

-Sent from Tapatalk

You are right it does actually work! Maybe it was just a little bit difficult to position it right (I'm using the mini charging pad as the OP) on the car dock.

eyecon82

May 30, 2010

Thanks in advance

Haven't tried that yet, but I do know it doesn't work face down

-Sent from Tapatalk

e5a3e9as.jpg

ny5ezuje.jpg

-Sent from Tapatalk

You are right it does actually work! Maybe it was just a little bit difficult to position it right (I'm using the mini charging pad as the OP) on the car dock.
It's really fussy with the cover folded back though.

You have to get it just in the right position, and even then it takes a few more seconds to recognize the charge

-Sent from Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First off, I had the regular s-view non wireless cover, and this is definitely thicker in the back. This makes me believe that the regular wireless charging back will be thicker than the stock one as well. :(

The front flap on the wireless cover stays shut, whereas the older non-wireless cover had a problem with the flap. Other than that, the same material and build quality.

As for the charging pad, it's very nice.. small and compact. Uses regular micro-USB. So far speeds are quick. About 1 percent per 1 minute. Not bad at all.

I bought them both at my local Verizon store. They had a promotion, and got $30 bucks off the total. So both items were $89.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg
    add the charger first then the s-view back... discount will update when both items are placed into cart... individually they will not. but I was able to repeat process using the same steps above

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

same deal... does not show up until you but both into cart then prices update :laugh:

If I have some time I may just go to my store and get them.. then return the others when they get delivered... either way it looks as though it will work for anyone, employer discount or not:good:

Whoops another correction.

I got both for $79. I just looked at my CC statement. I opted to get an email receipt and the email never showed up.
    Does the S-View cover fold back easily? I use my phone for navigation a lot so I'm wondering if I can use my car dock or if this cover isn't an option.

yes it folds back, but the problem is that it doesn't stay shut flat then