[App] [7.+] FOSS Browser [Open Source]

Search This thread

Gaukler_Faun

Aug 10, 2012
Germany
github.com
1. Actually tabs are very useful (that's why we have them in most of web browsers ;)). For instance, you are on a forum and you have to do some tests on the website. You need 2 tabs to switch between the website and the forum.
Tabs are also handy when opening several websites from a RSS feed.

See OP. I don't have the possibilities.

3. Perfect :) will you try to add folders?

No not planned (same reason as point 1).

6. I would say 3 modes is perfect lol:
- hide statusbar only
- hide statusbar and navbar
- fullscreen: no statusbar, no navbar, no omnibox

Implemented in next version (I'm testing one/two days before release.

7. Available with JumpGo too.

See point 1. Perhaps later... seems possible for me...

BTW: I added license on github. ;)

Greetings
Gaukler Faun

salmanfarisy

Jan 15, 2015
Pekalongan
Here is my request :
When sharing selected text, also include the current page URL.

I think only Firefox (version 42-44) has this capability. But I prefer to have a webview based browser having this capability.

Definitely will use this browser as primary browser and uninstall Firefox 44 if you could do this.

Reactions: Gaukler_Faun

Gaukler_Faun

Aug 10, 2012
Germany
github.com
Here is my request :
When sharing selected text, also include the current page URL.

I think only Firefox (version 42-44) has this capability. But I prefer to have a webview based browser having this capability.

Definitely will use this browser as primary browser and uninstall Firefox 44 if you could do this.
Hi,

thanks for your interest. I researched a while and it seems that for your feature request JavaScript must be enabled. So I would prefer not to implement it.
A workaround should be: first copy the text as usual to the clipboard and then open the menu -> share -> share link as text. Then the URL and the title of the current page will be shared and you can paste the copied text from the clipboard to your share content.

Hope this would be ok.

Regards
Gaukler Faun

Last edited:
Reactions: Ultramanoid

CLPose

Jan 7, 2015
Buenos Aires
Hi, @Gaukler_Faun! I've tried V4 and it also FCs when making a search. :crying: Do you have any clue on previous FCs? Attached, you'll find my log. But, is it useful at all? :confused: I don't want to spam the thread with useless logs. :p Thanks anyway for your hard work! :good::)

Attachments

• 2016-11-21-16-33-18.txt
    39 KB · Views: 10

nAFutro

Feb 17, 2012
I'm liking it so far.
Some feedback: Use StartPage.com as default instead of the .de variant. It's totally the same but it makes it look more globally.
I can't seem to go back to the startscreen where my bookmarks are pinned. Would be nice if you could go all the way back to that screen. Perhaps a home button of link in the menu would be even better.
I found one possible Käfer. When rotating my device from portret to landscape it browses one page back in history.

Gaukler_Faun

Aug 10, 2012
Germany
github.com
Hi, @Gaukler_Faun! I've tried V4 and it also FCs when making a search. :crying: Do you have any clue on previous FCs? Attached, you'll find my log. But, is it useful at all? :confused: I don't want to spam the thread with useless logs. :p Thanks anyway for your hard work! :good::)
Thanks for lagcat.

Until now I haven't found a solution, but I'll look at your logcat and try it again...

Primokorn

Nov 17, 2012
OnePlus 8 Pro
Could you remove the confirmation message when leaving the app and removing a website from the readter later list?
BTW the Javascript toggle button is nice but our choice isn't saved for the next time we visit the website. Is it possible?

Last edited:

Gaukler_Faun

Aug 10, 2012
Germany
github.com
Could you remove the confirmation message when leaving the app and removing a website from the readter later list?
BTW the Javascript toggle button is nice but our choice isn't saved for the next time we visit the website. Is it possible?
I introduced the confirmation dialog because I often close the browser while I don't won't (this happens after a new intent for example when open a link from a list - the build in webview history gets then lost). If you want to leave the app fast swipe to top. I think the other confirmation dialog could be deleted.

The toggle function works only for one browser session until you close the app. It is planned to implement a JavaScript whitelist. But it will take more work and I have spare time at the moment...

Gaukler_Faun

Aug 10, 2012
Germany
github.com
Update v5

First of all I would like to thank all of you. You give me great feedback. You told me a lot of things which I didn't consider and you made great suggestions to improve the app and add features. You told me about bugs ... I think it's nearly the time for the F-Droid release. Thanks again to you for all the help.

The biggest change in v5 is the implementation of a whitelist for javascript. It seems to work, but I have tested only for a short time ... Also some improvements cencerning rotation are made. I don't know, if the rare force closes are gone ... So lets start the next round ...

v5:
  • rotations settings
  • whitelist for javascript
  • small changes (thanks to all suggestions from this thread!)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161123-195310.png
    Screenshot_20161123-195310.png
    213.5 KB · Views: 162
  • Screenshot_20161123-195319.png
    Screenshot_20161123-195319.png
    214.2 KB · Views: 164

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    featuresGrafic.png

"FOSS Browser" is a fully free (as in freedom) open source Android software. The intention is to provide a simple and lightweight, but powerful and privacy-friendly browser with a modern user interface. - Your privacy - your data.

Wiki | Releases | Changelog | Privacy | License | Code of conduct | Contributing | XDA | Help translating on Crowdin

Get it on F-Droid | Donate

UI/Handling

FOSS Browser uses the latest [Material You](https://m3.material.io/) design libraries. Following system day/night mode and a wallpaper based theme are just two features of this new library. The UI is optimized for one-hand-use. All UI-elements are at the bottom of the screen.

More features:
    • Play audio on background.
    • Keep screen on.
    • Open links in background.
    • Restore tabs on restart.

Privacy

FOSS Browser uses profiles to protect your privacy. For each profile you can enable or disable: AdBlock, JavaScript, cookies, fingerprint protection and much more. Profiles can also be saved for domains ("github.com" ⇒ Trusted website). This saved domains always overwrite the current profile. So, for example, "github.com" will always open with the trusted profile, even if you are browsing in the protected mode.

More privacy features:
    • Build in AdBlock, which updates automatically. You can decide which content to block. AdBlock hosts are taken from Steven Black - AbBlock hosts.
    • Third-part-cookies can not be enabled.
    • Enable or disable Android-autofill.
    • Delete browser data (on app exit).
    • Choose between different search engines (or set a custom one).
    • FOSS Browser itself doesn't collect any data: Privacy

Bookmarks filter

Organize your bookmarks with filters. You can set custom names for each filter. Long press the bookmark icon in the toolbar to get fast access to your favorite bookmarks.

Gestures

You can assign over ten different gestures to the toolbar and the toolbar buttons. Each in four directions. So you have up to eight different gestures to control FOSS Browser. Supported is for example: load last website, switch tab, reload, open bookmarks, ... and many more.

Backups

Backup all your important data (bookmarks, history, trusted websites and so on) on your SD-card. You can also back up FOSS Browser settings.
    Downloads
    • Github-Releases: Here you can find latest app-releases. These are debug versions.
    • Github-latest: Here you can download the debug version with the latest changes. It is like an alpha version for the next update ...
    • F-Droid
    Dear FOSS Browser community,

I'm aware that with the last update I'm annoying a lot of users. Some lost their bookmarks, some are missing features, they are used to. Indeed I was afraid to release that update. It's not easy to make this step as developer. I'm only a small independent developer with a small community. I believe in free software. Free software would be nothing with the community. So let me explain, why I did this step.

Main inspiration for " FOSS Browser" was "Ninja Browser". I liked the bottom orientated layout, the search on site functionality and opening links in the background. I removed all I didn't want and added some things from my other apps.

The next step was a simplified UI. I decided to move all menus and dialogs in in so called "bottomsheet dialogs". This is a android native method to show things moving in from the bottom of the screen. With the new "Overview" it is possible to move the old "StartPage" together with the "tab overview" in such a dialog. Now you can reach all important content in one layout. And this layout can be shown, without opening a new tab. Now all incoming views are handled the same way. The UI is more consistent.

Also the old tab preview used a custom layout. This layout caused many other layout problems. Now, using the native "bottomSheet dialog", I have less layout troubles, less code and less bugs.

Another important point is, that I'm making this app mainly for my use. So if there are two ways I'll always will prefer the one, which I like more. I tested the new layout for several weeks. It's not the same like the old one. But you'll get used to it. At least I got.

Some of your points of critic are already on my to-do list. The next step will be the more individual implementation of gestures. Separated for the floating action button and the adressbar. Swiping up to open overview and switching tabs by swiping left and right will also be an option.

Last, but not least, I'll have to say, that I'm not a learned developer. All I'm coding I learned on my own from tutorials or documentations. I don't have the knowledge to upgrade a database without loosing some user data.

At the moment there is nothing more to say. Thank you for all your support. The journey will go on. I hope with you.

Regards and a happy new year
    Gaukler Faun
    Here is the promised test release. Please make a backup before using (I recommend OandBackup). It is possible that you will lose some data. Things to do before official release:

- new help dialog
    - update screenshots
    - bookmark import and export
    - what you tell me ...

Changes:

- the overview tab is now also a dialog displayed from the bottom
    - tab preview is integrated in the overview
    - bookmarks and login data are now in one tab
    - bookmarks filtering and sorting
    - gestures on toolbar and navigation button are now handled the same way
    - new options for gestures in the settings

Thanks for testing and still following this thread. The show must go on!

Regards
    Gaukler Faun
    Update v 5.7

As promised ( along time ago) here's the update. It took longer, but there are some changes:

### v 5.7
    - new: delete indexed databases and local web storage
    - new: Spanish translation (thanks to Herman Nunez)
    - new: confirmation dialog before making backup
    - new: delete separate lists (Startpage, history, ...)
    - new: show unsecured connections and try reloading secure
    - new: search engines (Startpage DE, Searx)
    - new: notification when download or screenshot complete
    - new: block remote content
    - improved Chinese translation (thanks: lishoujun)
    - removed: Snackbar (replaced with toasts)
    - removed: request desktop site
    - removed: build in file manager
    - fix: some strings (thanks: gr1sh)
    - fix: some urls opening search results

Thanks for your input and for using "FOSS Browser"!