Lineage os 14.1 for pixel xl

Search This thread

tcarave

Oct 21, 2010
milford
As the title States. I see a few builds of lineage for our phones. Curious if anyone has tried them out and if so how there running.
Update: Builds are running well. Issues on startup
1- If you can't get pass restoring ftom another device-remove sim to by pass issue...

OK google works. Even with screen off and unplugged
Root is built in
Gapps installed
Edit:
Here is the link to download. Permission granted by invisiblek. Big thanks to him for the builds.Give him credit for everything. Thanks cz for finding info!
http://www.invisiblek.org/roms/lineage-14.1/marlin/

Sent from my Pixel XL using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

Smallsmx3

Jul 28, 2010
I can't imagine it's far off from what CM was doing. Does anyone know if it's still heavily CAF?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

aholeinthewor1d

Aug 19, 2010
Nice to know. Is the pixel actually a supported device?

Where are these builds posted?

Last edited:

tcarave

Oct 21, 2010
milford
Not sure if they're still CAF based. I'd I.agine so since it's still basically cm. I haven't found any topics on em per se just builds. Invisiblek is where to look. There's builds for the marlin

Reactions: 557953

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
Didn't realize it was out yet.
Was just about to reflash my DU but will download & try out the Lineage just to see what it looks like.

Consider me your first "thanks" for bringing this to our attention. :up:

Edit. It's booting up right now.

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

I'm not getting far on the 1/14/2017 build of 14.1.
It boots up.
Gives this error which I've seen before and aren't worried about:

• "There's an internal problem with your devices"

Then it quickly picks up and connects to my WiFi.
Then quickly enables my Data.
But then drops me into this screen:

• "On your other device, open the Google app".
    "1) Say Ok Google, set up my device"
    "2) Touch Pixel XL on the list, and follow the on-screen instructions"

And I can't get past this.
I think it wants me to restore stuff from my other phone but I can't figure out how to get past this section.
So I can't get to Settings or desktop or anything else.

Last edited:

tcarave

Oct 21, 2010
milford
Lol well "thanks" sir. No problem.Ya wasn't sure if there usable or not yet . I have the 1/14 build downloaded was gonna pull the trigger to see what happens. Perhaps I try 13 build

npjohnson

Recognized Developer
Was just about to reflash my DU but will download & try out the Lineage just to see what it looks like.

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

It boots up.

I think it wants me to restore stuff from my other phone but I can't figure out how to get past this section.

Where are these builds located? Lineage isn't doing official builds yet.

tcarave

Oct 21, 2010
milford

It boots up.

I was able to get the 13 build running. i am trying the same on the 14 build to see if itll work on that one as well

tcarave

Oct 21, 2010
milford
Got the 14 build up and running. Seems pretty snappy. Gonna play around a bit to see how it is overall.
Edit:
Seems to be running well. Currently restoring apps. Has cm camera and apps loaded but can get all google apps back including pixel launcher.Pretty well polished as far as i can tell

Last edited:

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
Yeah, I knew it was something like that.
But it wanted Q instead of V.
And flashing that didn't resolve my issue where it's stuck at trying to restore from some other device (or whatever that prompt is).
I tried flashing the Q bootloader too and still got stuck.

tcarave

Oct 21, 2010
milford

It boots up.

Yeah, I knew it was something like that.
But it wanted Q instead of V.
And flashing that didn't resolve my issue where it's stuck at trying to restore from some other device (or whatever that prompt is).
I tried flashing the Q bootloader too and still got stuck.

You can get it running. I have it running right now.Very smooth

tcarave

Oct 21, 2010
milford

Attachments

• 1484435859416.jpg
    1484435859416.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 511

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
You can get it running. I have it running right now.Very smooth

Did you flash TWRP immediately after flashing the ROM?
I did.

Trying something else now and noticed that I somehow now have CM Recovery.
I stared at it for a minute wondering how Clockwork Recovery got installed on my phone till I realized what it actually was. :silly:

tcarave

Oct 21, 2010
milford
Yea I installed TWRP after ROM. Did flashing u vendor IMG get rid of internal error for you? I tried v and still got error but everything seems to be working well

tcarave

Oct 21, 2010
milford
Did you flash TWRP immediately after flashing the ROM?
I did.

Trying something else now and noticed that I somehow now have CM Recovery.
I stared at it for a minute wondering how Clockwork Recovery got installed on my phone till I realized what it actually was. :silly:
On initial boot don't set wifi. By pass it to get around restore. Wifi will pop up again at end

Reactions: CZ Eddie

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
On initial boot don't set wifi. By pass it to get around restore. Wifi will pop up again at end

Hah, yeah skipping WiFi setup got me past that restore from other device thing.
I'm logged in now and checking it out.
There are several custom options hidden throughout the menus. Not all packed into one section like AOSP ROM's.
I can't find an option to remove the brightness slider though, I really like that option and would miss it.

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
Post #4 tells you where to find it.

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

It wants the "Q" vendor image.

Reactions: superchilpil

BakedTator

Jan 8, 2011
Its really smooth and has built in root...only thing I don't like is lack of pixel home button animation and it don't allow unlimited backup but I'm sure those features will become available in the near future (or I hope they will)

Great job with the ROM invisiblek!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Oh I will trust me lol. I was just seeing if the person I quoted actually saw the build he said was posted or just the folder?

Sorry for the tease :) I'll have a build up there in a couple hours (untested because I have a marlin, but it should work fine)

I'll open a more formal thread once I'm happier with a few features I've been working on. Namely the A/B OTA stuff so I don't have to bake gapps in. That's been a pretty fun project, I hope everyone enjoys being able to update their nightly from within android :)
    Just wondering if the pixel will be officially supported

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'm sure a lot of people are wondering the same.
    Obligatory "First rule of CM (and now Lineage) is NOT ETAs!", but in this case I'll make a bit of an exception :p

There's one major, and a few minor, roadblocks I've run in to that are preventing me from flipping on official builds for this device.

The major issue revolves around gapps. Currently I'm unaware of any gapps package that will "just work" when installed after the rom. Most (opengapps for instance) won't install at /system/system which is where we need them installed from recovery due to the partition layout (system as root) of the pixel. The ones that do successfully install there, still have the issue of not knowing which /system partition slot to install to. The bootctrl hal can be queried to figure which slot is currently booting, but it has no way to query which slot is going to be booted to next. There's no way (that I'm aware) to tell if there was a successful rom flash already (in which case gapps should install on the opposite slot that's currently booted). Even if that was figured out, the way gapps work by not having to be flashed each time a rom is flashed is by using an addon.d script to back up and restore the libs, jars and apks associated with gapps before and after a rom flash. Due to the A/B layout, the tools that handle doing this are unavailable to us (since we install updates in android, no recovery). I've written some modified versions, which seem like they'll work fine, aside from some pretty major selinux road blocks, while in android. Obviously you guys know I'm shipping opengapps "baked in" to my unofficials, so none of this is a problem, but official builds would need to have this all worked out.

The other big thing safetynet failing since we won't ship the hacks to pass it on official lineage builds. These have been included in my releases all along, so I guess that's one added benefit to running my unofficials.

To be fair, I do have a pretty big role in the Lineage project, so running my builds (aside from some of the stuff I cherry pick) is pretty close having officials. Heck, even the built-in updater works :p

EDIT: Maybe its worth opening an unofficial thread, if people want that I could do so.
    status update
    - ims should be fixed in the next build (one giant step closer to official builds!!)
    - made progress on OTA stuff. these should flash through the built-in updater app now. backuptool (addon.d support) is still WIP but can probably work fine with "setenforce 0"
    - unlimited storage thing for google photos should be working now
    - sailfish builds resuming "public" builds (look for them here) i don't want bug reports if things are broken. only logs. if you're flashing these, consider yourself in the beta group
    As the title States. I see a few builds of lineage for our phones. Curious if anyone has tried them out and if so how there running.
    Update: Builds are running well. Issues on startup
    1- If you can't get pass restoring ftom another device-remove sim to by pass issue...

OK google works. Even with screen off and unplugged
    Root is built in
    Gapps installed
    Edit:
    Here is the link to download. Permission granted by invisiblek. Big thanks to him for the builds.Give him credit for everything. Thanks cz for finding info!
    http://www.invisiblek.org/roms/lineage-14.1/marlin/

A couple quick updates/questions:

- Is everyone using the built-in updater to update these? If not, is there a reason? answer here! I'm trying to get this wrapped up because some other things hinge on it working (see below). Looking for some feedback on it. What works, what doesn't work, what sucks, what's win, etc etc.
    - I'm inching ever closer to removing the built-in gapps (this is a giant stepping stone to getting official builds going from Lineage). I have a workaround for retaining these between updates (assuming you use the built-in updater)
    - I'm thinking about removing su by default (as official builds are doing). I'll provide a zip to add it back which will not need to be flashed every time, just once (assuming you're using the updater app to download/install these updates). How badly will everyone hate me for this? The main reason here is to pass safetynet checks (android pay, pokemon go)
    - Selinux is going to be switched to enforcing starting with tomorrow's build(s). Again, for safetynet. Up until now its been permissive (I always run permissive while I'm doing initial development on a device, but it looks like we're in good shape)