[app] How to Turn Fire TV into a Chromecast Receiver

Search This thread

huisinro

You can download our free trial apk and install it to fire TV, all of sudden, your fire TV is also a Chromecast receiver.

Please refer to this thread:

http://xdaforums.com/hardware-hacking/chromecast/app-youmap-chromecast-receiver-android-t3161851

Download this apk: [apk, updated on Jan-17-2016, now version 1.4.0, it will expire on Feb-29-2016]

http://www.youmap.com/YouMapCastReceiver.apk

Instructions: (good for fire TV box and stick)

(1) Enable ADB and USB Debugging - go to Amazon TV, Settings, System, Developer Options > tun on ADB Debugging and USB Debugging

(2) Now, you need to find the ip address of the FireTV device, System > About

(3) Now from another PC, you can use adb command to install the YouMap Chromecast apk.

adb connect your-ip-address-of-firetv
adb install YouMapCastReceiver.apk

(4) reboot fire TV, and it's ready for casting.

Have fun !

Last edited:

KLit75

Jun 29, 2014
Haven't had a chance to try but looking forward to it. I'll edit the post when I do...
Notice no option to buy full version yet. Is there an estimate on what it'll cost?

Update--Sorry. Got some questions right from the start. Usb debugging ejects the usb drive and makes it unusable. Lots of people use an external drive on aftv so this might be a problem.
It works for sure, however, I'm not sure if I'm utilizing it correctly? I was hoping it would mirror my display, but it doesn't appear to, not even if i enable mirroring on aftv. Maybe it's not suppose to...
But, so far the only thing I've gotten it to do is to cast youtube and we can already do that without losing usb functionality. Please correct me if I'm missing something. Thanks.

Last edited:

huisinro

The USB thing is only one time for installation. Once installed, you don't need USB connection at all. Our app will auto start every time when you boot fire TV.

It can mirror screens, install Google Chromecast app on your device that you want to mirror. Click Screen Mirroring from left side, that's it.

Reactions: KLit75

KLit75

Jun 29, 2014
The USB thing is only one time for installation. Once installed, you don't need USB connection at all. Our app will auto start every time when you boot fire TV.

It can mirror screens, install Google Chromecast app on your device that you want to mirror. Click Screen Mirroring from left side, that's it.

Awesome! Works great BTW. Is it possible to set it up on multiple aftvs and AFTV stick?

huisinro

yes, you can install it on multiple receivers, you may need to name them differently to differientiate them. Our app has a setting page to specify the name. However, on Fire TV, the setting page won't show up, we are working on a amazon version, that should install directly from Amazon store. it will take some time for that release though.

darren1

Oct 31, 2010
You can access the Youmap settings page on a Fire TV. From the home page scroll down to Settings, then goto Applications and down to Manage Installed Applications. Then scroll down to Youmap Chromecast Receiver, select it and then select Launch application. That will take you to the Youmap settings.

darren1

Oct 31, 2010
Its a restriction on all sideloaded apps. they can't be launched straight from the Fire TV home screen. When you release an official version through their appstore anyone purchasing it would be able to launch it from the homescreen.

KLit75

Jun 29, 2014
Well I like it. The chromecast app should be a welcome edition too except I need to reinstall play services. Forgot I had uninstalled it to fix play store crash on launch. But your app is working well. Its more reliable than normal YouTube casting because it doesn't care whether my AFTV is Ethernet, 2.4ghz or 5ghz. Normally I can't connect my phone if its on 2.4 while my AFTV is on 5. Not a lot of time testing but so far lag seems minimal.

Petesky

Jun 17, 2008
It works on my firetv connected straight to router , but it doesnt work on my aftv stick ,complains about port 8008 and uses 8010, but chromecast on my sg3 still doesnt detect it and its on the same network

KLit75

Jun 29, 2014
Got play services reinstalled and very impressed with performance and ease of use once its set.
I did have one issue but not sure its related. Both times I used chromecast, my AFTV switched from 5 GHz to 2.4ghz. Doesn't usually drop the signal like that. And it wouldn't normally be an issue but I use mysql and that sometimes won't work properly if all my devices aren't hardwired or on 5ghz.
Do you think this is related to chromecast or should I troubleshoot elsewhere? I know normal screen casting doesn't work for me if the devices are on different frequencies. This one does but wonder if the reason for that is its somehow able to auto change it.

mz.choize

Jan 19, 2009
Tx.
This works great on my firestick and firetv! Before, I had a few apps that were cast ready (I originally had chromecast) that showed the cast icon. I could no longer cast once I got aftv, the icons didn't even show up in my apps anymore even though I knew it was available. I just watched on my phone only. I dl'd this app to my phone and sideloaded it to my ftvs and ftv via another useful app via my phone. I gave each device a separate name and rebooted. (Oh, and ticked the box to start up with device) Now, my cast icons show up in my favorite apps, and I am able to cast! I am Soo freaken happy!! It also shows both my cast channels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danstah

Feb 12, 2011
I noticed in the other thread that it said the app listed would expire today. Since I don't have the play store installed how can I go about getting the paid version or at least continue to use this version?

Rincewind2011

Sep 7, 2012
Now it works great on the firetv. But tell me please are you planning to bring the app to amazons appstore or how will your licencing work, when you can't install googles playstore on a non-rooted device?

huisinro

right, the licensing issue is the last thing we are working on for Amazon store. We are checking if Amazon has similar apis as google play app licensing, still no definite answer yet. If Amazon does not provide such api, we can do it ourselves by entering a license key, not the best way.

Now it works great on the firetv. But tell me please are you planning to bring the app to amazons appstore or how will your licencing work, when you can't install googles playstore on a non-rooted device?

Top Liked Posts