| FIX | Setup Wizard Has Stopped Working

Search This thread

ashutosh009

Apr 17, 2017
i am unable to even complete sim card setup after flashing asop 4.1, as soon as i hit set up as new, setup wizard has stopped appears and begin from language selection. please help me..!

Reactions: someone457

Hapaxx

Apr 19, 2017
I leave this here, as it may help someone :
After flashing Resurrection Remix v5.8.3, I had the same issue with the setup wizard. The method of the first post didn't work (clicking on home button would not do anything). I worked this out by simply connecting to a wi-fi network. Once you have internet access, wizard setup doesn't crash anymore.

brakzz

Jul 18, 2015
After flashing Resurrection Remix v5.8.3, I had the same issue with the setup wizard. The method of the first post didn't work (clicking on home button would not do anything). I worked this out by simply connecting to a wi-fi network. Once you have internet access, wizard setup doesn't crash anymore.

Wow this worked for me!! The only problem Im having now tho is that my phone would reboot every time I try to turn the screen on or when I power off the device. Im on Lineage OS 14.1 for Galaxy S5, Nougat 7.1 ROM

Hapaxx

Apr 19, 2017
Wow this worked for me!! The only problem Im having now tho is that my phone would reboot every time I try to turn the screen on or when I power off the device. Im on Lineage OS 14.1 for Galaxy S5, Nougat 7.1 ROM

Glad it helped. Sadly, I can't help you further with your reboot issue. Have you tried reinstalling the ROM ? You should go to the forum section dedicated to your device for more information.

After also trying the steps in origin post without any success this did the trick!

Thanks mate!:good:

Xeritos

Aug 25, 2011
Flashed Lineage OS nightlies 18-04 for Xiaomi MI5 and I get the same issue but there is only 1 setup wizard (without android logo) and I can't select permissions on the one that is available, any ideas?

someone457

Feb 19, 2017
can't pull down notification bar.
it keeps stopping on the screen where it asks to either "restore app & data backup" or "Set up as new"
as soon as i click on "set up as new" it crashes and when i click on "keep your apps & data" it present me another screen to ask to bring data from "google account" or from "iPhone or iPad device", clicking on any of those crashes the setup wizard.
and i can't pull notification panel anywhere.

I am using resurrection remix nightly kenzo latest till date, on a redmi note 3.

PS:long pressing the home button brings up the google search option. i can't pull notification in that screen either

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

After also trying the steps in origin post without any success this did the trick!

Thanks mate!:good:

it doesn't bring me the option to connect to wifi, now what ?

SalviaLover

Sep 14, 2010
Apps & Games
The bove instructionsdidn't work for me, but here's how I fixed this on my old Nexus 5:

1. Wiped out the System, Dalvik and Cache partitions
2. Installed the atest Cyanogen/LInage OS Nougat ROM
3. Installedd the latest Open Google Apps package
4. Wizard wrked like charm aftrwards

etechdude24

Jul 13, 2013
I managed to get it to work for me. The original post saying to pull down the notification shade but I couldn't manage to do that. Here's what I did:

1: Select the Accessibility option in the bottom right
2: Attempt to go back/home and enter the Google app
3: Search with Google for "Hidden Settings App"
4: Select "Hidden Settings" and log in with Google
5: Download and install that app with Google Play and open it
6: Select just Settings from the list
7: Connect to WiFi in the now-accessible Settings app
8: Go ALL THE WAY BACK and try Setup again

Hopefully this helps somebody, worked for me.

filledk

Aug 13, 2014
i could not get it to pull down the notification drawer at first, here is what i did:

1 , go thru the wizard again.
2, right after it crashes hurry pull down notification drawer
3, go into settintgs,
4, connect to a wifi (your wifi)
4, go all the way back and try again ;)

SathwikNVS

Jun 2, 2017
i could not get it to pull down the notification drawer at first, here is what i did:

3, go into settintgs,

Thanks for that! You definitely saved me, but not exactly by your steps. Here's what I did... ---As soon as it shows the app crashed message, i immediately tried to swipe down the notification drawer (this was hard, took a few attempts, but worked). Then i switched on the wifi there and then came back and hit the "setup as a fresh device" button (Unfortunately, the settings button was not even there. weird :mad:). it then asked me to connect to the wifi since the wifi was now ON and thereafter it worked just fine---.

Absolutely lucky to see this post. :)

Joshysmart

Aug 19, 2016
I was hoping the solution posted here would solve my problem as well, but it did not.

Clicking the "OK" on my "Setup Wizard" screen dismisses the box for 0.25ms. I have NO chance to click anything else or get to settings to Force Stop it.

Sigh.

Any other suggestions?

Look for. Way to maneuver ur way to setting like on ur WiFi... App info anything...

RG8063

Aug 15, 2017
Google Pixel 6a
I hv force stopped setup wizard in resurrection remix rom ..
But the permissions are already enabled,!!
Help me guyzz i cant come to home screen!!

instead of going to apps section goto wifi and connect
then goto accounts section and add ur google account
i dont know why but after doing this it works

ps: select restore from google account in setup wizard

ovstedal

Jan 16, 2017
Thank you! This savedmy phone. But after some frustrating tries, i skipped the connect Wifi-part. It was after wifi-connect it always
crashed for me.
When skiping this, i got through the setup without anymore problems. After finishing the setup, i connected my wifi :):good:

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
Hey all, I've been dragged pillar to post with this issue...

I'm flashing latest lineage (this time for gtelwifiue - Sam Tab E) and micro gapps. About a month ago was able to do this flashing easily on Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 (now deceased). But this time it went into the 'setup loop'.

Lots of questions popped into my head... did it have something to do with the (samsung required) odin flash of twrp? Was it a recent los build issue? Was there an open gapps issue? Why does connecting to wifi work for some and not others? Someone suggested boot recovery, mount 'system', delete lineage setupwizard directory (didn't work), etc etc etc.

/rant on
I kind of hate when people post things like "FIX!!!" and "SOLUTION!!!!" in headers about this issue. When really all they've done is found a work around, that worked for them. It hasn't been tested on other devices and they have no idea if it will work on other devices. And yet they don't hesitate to yell "FIX!!!!!!!!!"
/rant off

After researching bugs and issues on the open gapps site, the documentation makes it pretty clear that the issue is technically complicated one. It's deep in the bowels of the messaging systems (and deprecated systems) that are conflicting between ea other. It seems as though some modifications have changed *what* message gets set (when some part of set up is completed), without realizing which apps are looking for which message (i.e. how it might break something else). So essentially, there are conflicts between the ROM build and Open Gapps around these 'Messages'.

That's as far as I dug into it. I don't get paid to tear apart code anymore, and I'd like to actually have a life, before it's too late.

So after having tried all the 'work a rounds' people were calling "Fixes and Solutions", I stumbled upon a work a round that (I'd bet anyway) should work for everyone;

First: I have only tested this on my own device! But, the posts I read indicating it would work had used other devices (don't remember which ones, sorry).

And! the work a round fly's in the face of documentation of how to flash a rom we've probably all read. But, I'd become frustrated and decided to try it anyway...

1) Do the normal wiping etc, then flash the LOS rom.
2) Boot the ROM, skip the things the setup lets you skip.
3) Back to recovery and flash the Gapps.

Now boot again and all **should** be fine. It was for me (again, Sam Tab E).

** WHY ** does this sound like it should work? Because, as mentioned, the different 'setup wizards' aren't playing nice with ea other. And the real fix would be fixing that. But I'm sure there are some very intelligent people who have looked at that code, and it seems there's no simple fix.

So, if you've tried all the other SOLUTIONS!!!, and they didn't work for you, my bet is this will work. No guarantees from me though, caveat emptor.

Ac3_DeXt=R

Dec 21, 2015
Setup wizard gets started again :(

I tried force stop the SETUP Wizard and allowed permissions as you said. But after that its not going to Home screen after tapping home button. And if I press back, the setup wizard gets started again. :(
Please help me out.

Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I was struggling with setup wizard has stopped working and was fed up of this.
    So i just went to the setup wizard app and gave it contacts and phone permission and it finally worked.
    This error generally comes with CM roms so this fix will work with CM based roms and might work with other ROMs also.:p

Steps:
    1) Flash ROM
    2) Flash any gapps
    If you get setup wizard error then continue the steps below and yes you need patience to do this because it will keep on popping up until you fix it. You need to keep on tapping and scroll down for a while.
    3) When you see setup wizard error pull down notification drawer and open settings
    4) Scroll down and tap "Apps"
    5) Click on 3 dots at the top right corner.
    6) Select show system apps
    7) Scroll down until you see 2 Setup wizard.(If you have RESURRECTION REMIX ROM you will see only one)
    There will be 2 setup wizard,one wil CM logo and other with android.
    8) Select one with android logo.
    9) Tap on force stop
    10) Select ok
    11) Scroll down and enable permissions(Contacts & Phone)
    12) Now press the home button

You should now see your home screen :good:

It just a simple fix.
    Because of permissions that were needed by setup wizard were not fulfilled this error keeps on popping up.
    Hope you guys now have fixed this and got you CM.

3, go into settintgs,
    Cool. Updated my p5210 to latest CM13 and kept getting 'google play services has stopped'. Tried to reflash CM and latest gapps. That's when I got 'setup wizard has stopped' message. Spent a long time wiping and refreshing. Then I found your guide, and now all's honky dory! Thanks a lot
    i am unable to even complete sim card setup after flashing asop 4.1, as soon as i hit set up as new, setup wizard has stopped appears and begin from language selection. please help me..!