athena use a usb-rj45 line to surf throught the net cable

Search This thread

Vico100

Dec 25, 2007
Ok i just ordered one, might take a week or two to get to australia. :D lets see if ill work :D

pigeonking

Apr 1, 2007
maybe it is just me, but, why use a RJ45 to USB adapter to browse the net, when you already have Wi Fi and 3G , and Bluetooth for the internet?

even in a high secured office with no Wi Fi, you can still do 3G

and if you are in a secured office, chances are you wont be able to get onto the network anyways using the RJ45

the only way this will work is in an unsecured network, for you to sign on, and not get access denied to the router/switch

and probably too cheap to not want to use the 3G / Edge to go online. :p

i wouldn't want to carry so much extra stuff with me to be able to go online using a RJ45 when i go out with my phone

When you go outside your home,office, or go abroad, the place where you are only exist rj-45 with no 3g,wifi, you will feel happy if you have this adapter to connect to the net.

For example, when I went to Hong Kong a few months ago for 4 days vacation, there was only RJ45 line to use, there was no wifi in the Hotel, and I couldn't buy any 3G sim card there. Anyway, when you own a huge phone like athena, you will not annoy to take one more usb-rj45 with you.

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717
hmmm..... that sure is odd, almost every hotel i've been to in the USA, Canada, UK, and Israel, they all had Wi Fi in the hotel areas.

that's why i can hardly think of any reason why a RJ45 connection would be required, but you do have a point.

can't imagine some parts of the world are still so out dated. :p

Vico100

Dec 25, 2007
With me the reason i am getting one is that at uni the wifi's don't like windows mobile devices and so you can't connect to it (it requires this small java installation thingo and entering your password, and ive tried both opera and IE and ill just sit there loading for ages..) :(

Hopefully i can just straight away connect it to the Ethernet ports ...hmm.... $30+ US for it...hope its worth it

techntrek

Oct 29, 2007
MD
hmmm..... that sure is odd, almost every hotel i've been to in the USA, Canada, UK, and Israel, they all had Wi Fi in the hotel areas.

that's why i can hardly think of any reason why a RJ45 connection would be required, but you do have a point.

can't imagine some parts of the world are still so out dated. :p

I was at Disney in Florida a month ago. I was outside of my phone's cell range (I have an older regional and not nationwide plan), and most of Disney's resorts only offer in-room Ethernet. They told me only 1 or 2 of the resorts have Wifi. So I could have used this, at a very modern and up-to-date resort...

zohaer21

Nov 23, 2004
maybe it is just me, but, why use a RJ45 to USB adapter to browse the net, when you already have Wi Fi and 3G , and Bluetooth for the internet?

even in a high secured office with no Wi Fi, you can still do 3G

and if you are in a secured office, chances are you wont be able to get onto the network anyways using the RJ45

the only way this will work is in an unsecured network, for you to sign on, and not get access denied to the router/switch

and probably too cheap to not want to use the 3G / Edge to go online. :p

i wouldn't want to carry so much extra stuff with me to be able to go online using a RJ45 when i go out with my phone

exactly... and if there is no wifi... just carry a travel wireless router (i got one from ebay) and it turns any ethernet connection into a wifi spot !!! brilliant !

pigeonking

Apr 1, 2007
exactly... and if there is no wifi... just carry a travel wireless router (i got one from ebay) and it turns any ethernet connection into a wifi spot !!! brilliant !

It's a good solution,too.
The wireless router needs extra power. As I know, the voltage, plug or socket may not be the same in every country, when you go abroad, the wireless router may be useless. For example, the socket and plug in Hong Kong is not the same as they in Taiwan.

robjhellis

Jun 5, 2006
Los Angeles
I've just got my UE-200TX-G, loaded up the driver and its working. I have it plugged into my Athena docking station.

I'm running dslreports mobile speed test and I'm getting speeds reported at high 800s kbit/sec with 0.162s latency. That compares to 300s on a Edge and a bit better if I can get a 3G signal at my home.

I don't know how to interpret the actual numbers, other than to say compatively speaking its obviously faster. I can definately see myself travelling with the new dongle and x7510 when I want to leave my laptop at home.

techntrek

Oct 29, 2007
MD
You should be getting 800+ on 3G on AT&T... but only if you have upgraded to radio 1.58.

robjhellis

Jun 5, 2006
Los Angeles
Not sure about that - probably all to do with where the towers are etc. I just ran the speed test on my TyTN (400 mhz device) with an "H" showing and all came in in 320s. At the same time the x7510 is showing "E".

The real benefit of a cable connection is that many hotels have WiFi in the lobby but only wired connections in the room. I used to carry a D-Link wire to WiFi adapter - won't have to now.

Mark Sly

Jul 5, 2007
Now have access to work network

This is great! Thanks for the tip!

I bought one of these adapters from Amazon for $15 (the cable connector for the Wii) and downloaded the driver and installed it. After a reboot, the adapter is working perfectly! Can now access wired ethernet without a PC.

This will help me a lot at work; our employer has special drivers for Linux and Windows machines to access the WiFi network; WinMo is NOT supported and will never be supported. Adding your own WiFi router is against company policy (breach of security) and can be grounds on which to be fired.

With this, I can still get company intranet access at work during a meeting or training class without having to have a laptop or borrowing someone's computer.

All I need to figure out now is if I can use the Athena to access the Communicator (M$ LiveMeeting tools) to get my company IM sent to my mobile while I'm connected.

Thanks again!

-Mark Sly

pdajoy

Aug 9, 2006
Ok, am back with my Athena, this thread excites me on wire connect.
Anyone passing-by here can advise which ROM version best to use with this driver, UE-200TX-G.CAB ? Thanks. :)

cbfalex

Jan 11, 2010
exact name of the wii-adapter?

which adapter did you buy? i need the exact model name, because i live in vienna (austria) and it is not so easy to find a company which delivers an adapter with ux-200-tx-g-chip to austria.

would be very helpful if you tell me the model name of your wii-lan-adapter!
i will try to use it with my toshiba tg01 with wm6.5...

thanx in advance, alex

This is great! Thanks for the tip!

I bought one of these adapters from Amazon for $15 (the cable connector for the Wii) and downloaded the driver and installed it. After a reboot, the adapter is working perfectly! Can now access wired ethernet without a PC.

This will help me a lot at work; our employer has special drivers for Linux and Windows machines to access the WiFi network; WinMo is NOT supported and will never be supported. Adding your own WiFi router is against company policy (breach of security) and can be grounds on which to be fired.

With this, I can still get company intranet access at work during a meeting or training class without having to have a laptop or borrowing someone's computer.

All I need to figure out now is if I can use the Athena to access the Communicator (M$ LiveMeeting tools) to get my company IM sent to my mobile while I'm connected.

Thanks again!

-Mark Sly

Mark Sly

Jul 5, 2007
which adapter did you buy? i need the exact model name, because i live in vienna (austria) and it is not so easy to find a company which delivers an adapter with ux-200-tx-g-chip to austria.

thanx in advance, alex

I bought this item from Amazon (search for UE-200TX if this link does not work)

http://www.amazon.com/PLANEX-Adapte..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279056152&sr=8-1

As for the ROM version I'm running, I'm using a MichyPrima 6.2 version (can't remember which one). I don't think this matters too much, though.

-MarkSly

Mark Sly

Jul 5, 2007
I've noticed that the adapter/driver combo is a little temperamental. In order to get it to work, many times I have to soft reset the device, and even after that, I may have to unplug the adapter and re-connect it in order to get the Athena to recognize the network adapter.

Once it works, though, everything works without any hitches. (Had to disable proxies on my work network in order to access most services on the company intranet.)

I am also able to access our internal IM system which uses Office Communicator. I downloaded a version from Microsofts website (no cost.) Now I can get IM's from co-workers in a long meeting.

I've also been successful in using Remote Desktop, VNC, mapping network drives, ping, and accessing intranet websites.

Mark Sly

Jul 5, 2007
Special Cable May Be Needed

thanx in advance, alex

Oh, you mentioned that you want to hook up a Toshiba TG01...

If you're not using an HTC Advantage (a.k.a Athena), then you may need to get the special cable mentioned on the Japanese website. Even if you get this cable, I don't know if you'll be able to use it on your phone if it doesn't have a USB host function. I'm not sure what the capabilities are of the Japanese phones for which this cable is intended.

This cable connects to the USB mini on your phone and allows you to connect a power adapter and convert the USB mini to a type A host socket for the USB to ethernet adapter.

The HTC Athena has a separate USB host, so the additional cable and power supply are not needed. (Though I bring my USB power adapter with me when I use this to make sure I don't run my battery down.)

Be sure to research the entire thread to make sure your phone can do this.

-MarkSly