[Q] Quality control problems with the frame?

Search This thread

Rinneh

Feb 13, 2014
Recently i received my Xperia Z1C White. After some careful checking (that happens when you are a techy) i noticed that the frame bends slightly inwards at the back side. I made a small example of what i mean on a photo. The problem is. If you can press those parts of the frame inwards, what happens with the waterproof seal between that part of the frame and the plastic bezel on top of this? Is this the case with every Xperia Z1C or is this a rare problem?

I suspect this also is the reason why you can hear a sound while pressing the screen slightly.

Attachments

• v11.jpg
    v11.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,316

Bigmille

May 23, 2008
London
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
Recently i received my Xperia Z1C White. After some careful checking (that happens when you are a techy) i noticed that the frame bends slightly inwards at the back side. I made a small example of what i mean on a photo. The problem is. If you can press those parts of the frame inwards, what happens with the waterproof seal between that part of the frame and the plastic bezel on top of this? Is this the case with every Xperia Z1C or is this a rare problem?

I suspect this also is the reason why you can hear a sound while pressing the screen slightly.

Same on my phone, but only the charging port side, and my phone squeaks too.

2fuss50

Jul 13, 2011
Had a bit of convex shape on the back, barely noticeable. Hairdryer and pressing did the trick.
And no, don't be too harsh to the phone.
Glue seems to be unequally applicated.
Made in China after all.

Rinneh

Feb 13, 2014
I wonder hwo wide spread or problematic this is. On a normal phone this wouldnt be a problem at all. But on a waterproof phone every error can be a problem.

Hejnfelt

Apr 1, 2013
Mine seems to have the same microscopic gap on the back around the docking port.

I dunked it in a bowl of water and let it sit for 5 minutes. Took it out, dried it off - no problems.

Darkimmortal

Sep 21, 2010
The back of mine flexes when pressed hard in the center, but there are no gaps at the edges (even when pressed)

slvrarrow

Jul 1, 2008
Is this something they'd accept a warranty replacement for? Where do you go about requesting such?

Rinneh

Feb 13, 2014
Is this something they'd accept a warranty replacement for? Where do you go about requesting such?

I think no warranty on this, they will probably consider it normal.

The problem with high precision designed devices like this and iphones is, that if something is a bit off you notice it easier.

I do regret it a bit that i didnt exchange it within the 7 days that it is possible to exchange a product after buying it in holland. But if it is widespread, then the case of a phone without the flexing frame/misaligned frame would be very small.

Hejnfelt

Apr 1, 2013
For anyone worried about the waterproof nature of their device, the only thing I can say is - test it. If the product works as intended you're golden. If not, you're covered by warranty.

I'm avid photographer and diver and with all new waterproof equipment, the first thing I do is test their waterproofing by either dunking them in the tub or the sink full of water.

You've bought a device with a capability which you should be able to trust. No need to find out 1 year later when you drop it in the toilet that your device is faulty.

MasK

May 15, 2005
Singapore
www.imraneo.com
I believe there's a sensor-like surface when you open up one of the flaps (the micro-USB one I think). It's a small white square and it turns red when in contact with water.
This is how the service centres know that you are complying to proper usage. So do be careful not to get the internals wet :)

Rinneh

Feb 13, 2014
I have exchanged mine, still a little flex around the charging port but the back is definitely more flush. No small gap and less cracking noise when pressing the back as well. Very content with the built quality of this phone now.