Use tablet as touchpad when connected to big monitor/TV? (not simple mirroring)

Search This thread

VoiceScripter

May 7, 2014
I'm surprised to learn that we must keep our eyes on the tablet while clumsily tapping even when the tablet is connected to a big display.

Instead of plugging a mouse into the touchpad (I guess that's the current workaround), why not turn the tablet into a touchpad when mirroring the display of the tablet on a large screen? With that setup, the tablet display wouldn't actually be mirrored, the big display would look like a desktop computer display with a pointer floating around on it. Also, the virtual touchpad on the tablet could be resizable so that you could simultaneously show a virtual keyboard (neither of which would show on the big display). Or there could be a spot on the tablet display tapped to switch between virtual keyboard and touchpad. Again, neither showing up on the big display.

Let me know if I'm not being clear enough. This has nothing to do with simply mirroring the tablet display to a monitor/TV, I know that can be done through MHL and HDMI stuff. Also, it has nothing to do with using the tablet as a touchpad for another computer. The only components are the tablet and the big display (monitor or TV).

And of course if it's already been done, please let me know.

Last edited:

VoiceScripter

May 7, 2014
The simplest of implementations...

The big display would mirror the tablet display. The tablet would show a tiny pointer. How small doesn't matter because you won't be looking at the tablet. The pointer location would correspond to the current pointer location as shown by "developer options" on anAndroid. That pointer would be driven by touch. That should be easy enough, the only difference is that a relative pointer position would be used instead of current finger point position.

Apparently 99% of the programming for this stuff is already done on Android tablets. Probably also on iPads or whatever. It would just need a GUI switch and to make a few tiny adjustments when connected to a monitor.

I'm surprised to learn that we must keep our eyes on the tablet while clumsily tapping even when the tablet is connected to a big display.

Instead of plugging a mouse into the touchpad (I guess that's the current workaround), why not turn the tablet into a touchpad when mirroring the display of the tablet on a large screen? With that setup, the tablet display wouldn't actually be mirrored, the big display would look like a desktop computer display with a pointer floating around on it. Also, the virtual touchpad on the tablet could be resizable so that you could simultaneously show a virtual keyboard (neither of which would show on the big display). Or there could be a spot on the tablet display tapped to switch between virtual keyboard and touchpad. Again, neither showing up on the big display.

Let me know if I'm not being clear enough. This has nothing to do with simply mirroring the tablet display to a monitor/TV, I know that can be done through MHL and HDMI stuff. Also, it has nothing to do with using the tablet as a touchpad for another computer. The only components are the tablet and the big display (monitor or TV).

And of course if it's already been done, please let me know.

VoiceScripter

May 7, 2014
Anybody connect their tablet to a large monitor? Enjoy fumbling around on the tablet when you could be using precise pointer control? Think this might help for stuff like browsing?

Anybody?