[MOD][XPOSED][EOL] NoMapTips - For those of us who know what we're doing.

Search This thread

barnabydog

Sep 9, 2013
Previous versions of the maps app had a "do not show again" check box, but Google removed it. Presumably this allows them to cash in on gathering more data on users by nagging them until they turn their wifi on all the time.

I'd get banned if I described my opinion of Google in any detail, so I'll just say "Thanks, Kevin!" :angel: Donation sent.

Reactions: thor1k and Kevin M

Kevin M

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 31, 2011
kmark.io
Previous versions of the maps app had a "do not show again" check box, but Google removed it. Presumably this allows them to cash in on gathering more data on users by nagging them until they turn their wifi on all the time.

I'd get banned if I described my opinion of Google in any detail, so I'll just say "Thanks, Kevin!" :angel: Donation sent.
I really appreciate it. Thank you!

YaKillaCJ

Jul 16, 2010
Miami
Thank U so much for this module. I kno is Google way of being nosey, it's so obvious. But yea it's a battery hog to have wifi on when ya not connecting to a network.

I did learn something new or rather I want to ask. Can it use the location info from even locked Wifi I don't have connection to. I'm basically wondering if itll say help if I'm going down a random neighborhood which I definitely don't have access to. Like does it use the locked Wifi like GPS to triangulate my location?

Kevin M

Jul 31, 2011
kmark.io
Thank U so much for this module. I kno is Google way of being nosey, it's so obvious. But yea it's a battery hog to have wifi on when ya not connecting to a network.

I did learn something new or rather I want to ask. Can it use the location info from even locked Wifi I don't have connection to. I'm basically wondering if itll say help if I'm going down a random neighborhood which I definitely don't have access to. Like does it use the locked Wifi like GPS to triangulate my location?

From my understanding it uses WiFi telemetry of the surrounding networks. You do not need to be connected. Google gets information like the MAC address of the in-range networks and uses it to figure out where you are. So it may greatly increase your location accuracy in cities but provides little to no benefit where WiFi networks are not as common while you're driving.

Take a look at these two Super User questions for more info: http://superuser.com/q/274017/76029 and http://superuser.com/q/299789/76029

terrorist96

Jul 9, 2012
Request: could you add an option to force "avoid tolls" on Google maps? I hate always having to manually tick that box. And google has refused to allow the option to set a default preference. Thanks!

Kevin M

Jul 31, 2011
kmark.io
Request: could you add an option to force "avoid tolls" on Google maps? I hate always having to manually tick that box. And google has refused to allow the option to set a default preference. Thanks!

I'll look into it eventually but this is somewhat out of scope for this very simple module. Although making an entirely separate module becomes a pain in the ass to maintain, so if I do add it, it will be here. ;)

Kevin M

Jul 31, 2011
kmark.io
Awesome! You should just rename this module XMaps. ;)

What I may do is just create a new module called XMaps and stop supporting this one. I believe this mod is a relatively attractive option because it does one thing and does it very well. You'll forget you installed it. :) No need to worry about installing a large bloated module to achieve a tiny UI tweak. Hopefully any developer wanting to contribute to a Google Maps related tweak will simply submit their patch to the XMaps repository.

I should also add that I may hold off from working on anything other than XHangouts until I hear more about what Xposed is going to look like on Lollipop.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NoMapTips has been marked end of life. While it remains available, the module has served its purpose and is no longer being updated. Google has added equivalent functionality built directly into Maps. Happy navigating! Another workaround.

... Annnnd we're back.

Code:
    NoMapTips is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
    but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
    MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
    GNU General Public License for more details.

Introduction
    The location accuracy tips dialog in Google Maps is annoying. You know what you're doing. Ignore that thing. Once and for all.

Featured on XDA Xposed Tuesday!

Images
    NewTipsDialog.png

Never again.

Features
    • You'll never see that horrible thing again. Even if your GPS is off.
    • You'll forget you installed it.
    • Theoretically less likely to crash your car...

Installation
    1. Make certain you're on a supported version of Google Maps.
    2. Install the module by a) searching for it in the Xposed Installer or b) manually through the APK provided on GitHub or the Xposed website.
    3. Enable the module in the Xposed Installer.
    4. Reboot.
    5. Give it a spin! A very easy way to make this dialog appear is to turn off all location services and disable WiFi. Then tap the location accuracy tips preference in the Settings. No dialog? Good.

Changelog
    See the GitHub repository for the definitive changelog.
    Code:
    v2.2-31c370b - 22 Apr 2015 - Stable
    ------------
    This release adds support for Maps 9.7.1! Please note that while the
    "optimal location" toast notification will no longer appear you
    should continue to be location tip free.

Code:
    v2.1-8fa0a32 - 21 Mar 2015 - Stable
    ------------
    Google Maps will now always report optimal location accuracy settings.
    Even if all possible location services are off. Goodbye dialogs!
    Code:
    v2.0-b0c9edc - 21 Mar 2015 - Stable
    ------------
    NoMapTips is back! Unfortunately. What's new?
    * Support for Google Maps 9.5.1 and 9.6.0
    * New default Android icon
    * Continued support for Maps 8, 9.0, and 9.1 for those of you (none?)
      still using them.
    Code:
    v1.4-42f1ab2 - 26 Nov 2014 - Stable
    ------------
    Support for Google Maps 9.1
    Code:
    v1.3-4c4e802 - 14 Nov 2014 - Stable
    ------------
    NoMapTips now supports both Google Maps 8 and Maps 9 users. Feel free
    to upgrade. :)
    Code:
    v1.2-0833439 - 08 Nov 2014 - Stable
    ------------
    This version supports the new Google Maps 9 on Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean)
    and up.
    Code:
    v1.1-a87b471 - 06 Nov 2014 - Stable
    ------------
    Updated for Google Maps 9. Do not update this module if you have not
    yet received the Google Maps update. Easiest way to tell? Material
    Design. :)
    Code:
    v1.0-348872a - 03 Oct 2014 - Stable
    ------------
    Initial release.

Downloads

FAQ
    Q: NoMapTips isn't working for me. What can I do?
    A: Oh dear. If you're familiar with GitHub, creating a new issue is a great option. If not, posting right in this thread isn't a bad idea either. The more information you include in your bug report the easier (and faster) it will be for me or someone else to help. What kind of info? Your Xposed log (found in the Xposed Installer), your version of Google Maps, your version of NoMapTips and your version of Android is often enough to get started. Please be kind and courteous to anyone offering assistance.

Q: How about a new feature?
    A: NoMapTips is great, if I do say so myself, which I do, because it does one particular thing and does it very well with zero unnecessary overhead. Unless the feature request is "hide some more map tips" I'd have to say no.

Credits
    • rovo89 - Creator of one of the most useful tools Android has ever seen: Xposed.

Licensing
    Copyright © 2014-2015 Kevin Mark. NoMapTips is licensed under the GNU General Public License, Version 3, which can be found in LICENSE.md

Mentions
    Thank you!

XDA:DevDB Information
    NoMapTips, Xposed for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    Kevin M
    Source Code: https://github.com/kmark/NoMapTips

Xposed Package Name: com.versobit.kmark.nomaptips

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: v2.2-31c370b
    Stable Release Date: 2015-04-22

Created 2014-10-03
    Last Updated 2016-04-12
    v2.0-b0c9edc

NoMapTips is back, ladies and gentlemen. As of Google Maps 9.5.1 there is an incredibly annoying "tip" whenever you tap the compass / "locate me" button that looks something like this:
    NewTipsDialog.png

If you tap cancel so it will not change your location settings you will be refused the functionality you requested. This is even worse than before! This dialog could be other places but I have not checked. Google Maps wants to force you to turn on WiFi even when it's off.

Please note that there is still a (different) dialog if you do not have your location settings set to "High accuracy" or "Device only." I have chosen not to remove this dialog for now because Maps is pretty much useless if you do not have either of those options set. Especially navigation. In fact, generally speaking, you probably do want one of those two location settings activated while using Maps. The dialog I disabled is for WiFi and interferes with otherwise unhindered usages of the application.

The above is no longer true as of v2.1. :)

After installing NoMapTips, tap the Location accuracy tips option in the settings. You'll be greeted by this lovely little message assuming you have normal location services on:
    AlreadyOpt.png

Enjoy!
    I had no idea this was so highly requested. I never spent any time in /r/xposed until today. The notification just really started to piss me off. :p Good to see others find it useful.
    v1.1-a87b471

Update for Google Maps 9 is now live. Please refrain from updating the module if you have not yet received (or downloaded) the newest version of Maps. :)
    Yep, it looks like the Maps team at Google heard us. One way or another. Thanks, everyone!

GoodMapTip.png