[Resources] Flashing Your First Kaiser Rom (For Noobs)

Search This thread

mskip

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 20, 2008
Norfolk
PLEASE READ THE *FAQ* BEFORE FLASHING OR ASKING QUESTIONS!!

This *Easy Guide* is for the all the Noobs that want a New Rom but are getting confused and dont want to brick their nice new phone.

I used Jockys HardSPL v3.29 and OliPros' CID Unlocker for this.

Before you start, backup anything on your phone that you might want to keep after the new Rom has been flashed because all contacts/ emails/ texts/ notes/ Internet BookMarks/ ect. WILL be lost!!

PimBackup is good and free (copy any mms attachments to your storage card or computer seperately)

If you get stuck in the Bootloader Screen (Tri-Colour Screen with text in the top left) go *HERE* (thanks to DaveShaw)

*STEPS 1 - 4 ONLY NEED TO BE CARRIED OUT ONCE. ONCE YOU HAVE FLASHED HARDSPL YOU DONT NEED TO DO IT AGAIN WHEN FLASHING NEW ROMS OR RADIOS*

*DO NOT start another process while the flashing process is taking place*
*DO NOT click off of the status bar... Let it stay in the foreground*
*DO NOT let the ScreenSaver activate*

(any of these can lead to a bad flash and possibly brick your phone)

1. MAKE SURE YOUR KAISER HAS AT LEAST 50% BATTERY POWER FIRST

2. Download and Unzip *THIS* File

3. Flash HardSPL 3.29 [ESSENTIAL]

Flashing via ActiveSync with USB Lead
1. Copy JumpSPL1.56-KAIS.exe, JumpSPL1.93-KAIS.exe and JumpSPL1.94-KAIS.exe to your device memory (NOT STORAGE CARD)
2. Pull out the battery and reinsert it (this step IS important) *DONT turn phone back on yet*
3. REMOVE SIM and SD CARDS!!
4. Turn phone back on and let it boot back into your operating system
5. Connect your phone to PC with a USB cable and wait until it syncs with your PC
6. Run File Explorer on your phone, browse to where you copied JumpSPL1.56-KAIS.exe on your device and run it (make sure the USB cable is still connected). If you get a white screen then reset your device and now try JumpSPL1.93 and lastly try JumpSPL1.94 if that one doesnt work.
7. CLick Continue on phone when prompted
8. After a few seconds the tri colour screen will appear on the phone and "USB" will be displayed at the bottom
9. Unplug the usb cable for 30 seconds and then Replug (phone will not re-sync but still says "USB" on the screen)
10. Right click on the Activesync icon in the bottom corner icon on the computer, goto connection settings, deselect "Allow USB connections" and click "ok"
11. Run the KaiserCustomRUU.exe file on your PC thats in the same folder as the HardSPL .nbh file and follow instructions (ticking boxes and clicking Next) *DO NOT re-enable USB Connections in Activesync*
12. Update will goto 100% (should take less than a minute), the Congratulations screen will be displayed on the PC and the phone will restart
13. Unplug USB cable from phone then REPLACE SIM and SD CARDS !!
14. Restart phone

*Remember to re-enable "Allow USB connections" in Activesync connection settings after a successful flash*

Flashing via MicroSD Card using cmonex HardSPL 3.29
[OPTIONAL]

FOR UPGRADING HARDSPL ONLY!! THIS WONT WORK UNLESS YOU ALREADY HAVE HARDSPL ON YOUR PHONE

1. Make sure your microSD is Formatted to fat32 (you dont have to delete all files but it is safer if you do)
2. Download Cmonex's HardSPL 3.29SD, unzip it and copy the 2 files into the root of your MicroSD Card
(KAISDIAG.NBH is basically an SSPL patched to load from SD without booting OS)
(KAISIMG.NBH is cmonex HardSPL 3.29)
3. Insert the microSD Card into the phone
4. Hold in the Power and Camera buttons, then press the reset button with the stylus for about 3 seconds until the BootLoader screen appears
5. It should say Loading / Update in progress and then to a screen saying SPL 1.00.OliNex
6. It should now say Press Power Button to flash or just flash the KAISIMG.NBH and then reset
7. At this point it should boot to the OS, if it doesn't then flash an OS (delete the previous KAISDIAG.NBH and KAISIMG.NBH from the SD Card and use Flashing Rom from MicroSD Card method)
8. After the Operating System loads, DELETE the KAISDIAG.NBH and KAISIMG.NBH files

*To check HardSPL version on your phone Enter Bootloader by Holding in the Power and Camera buttons, press
the reset button with the stylus for 3 seconds until the tri-colour screen appears, then read the 2nd line which is the SPL version*

4. SIM and CID-Unlock [OPTIONAL]

For more reading go *HERE*

* YOUR DEVICE MUST BE SYNCHED WITH YOUR COMPUTER BEFORE RUNNING EACH STEP *

*Put your phone into Bootloader and update to a 6.1 Rom first if you get a black screen after Flashing the Patched Radio*

*If the program wont run u may need to install Microsoft .NET 2.0 on your computer to get it working*

1. Make a note of your current Radio in case you need to flash it back
2. Run KaiserUnlocker.exe, follow the instructions
(if you already have HardSPL on your phone you can skip straight to Step2)
3. After patched Radio has been flashed phone will restart and sync with the computer
4. On the Unlocker Program it should say Radio Patched at the bottom
5. Click on Step3 (Run Unlocker). This will bring up the Unlocker screen on your phone
6. If you want to check the status of your Sim Lock or CID Lock click the appropriate buttons
7. Click on Remove Sim Lock and Set CID, then click "Commit Changes"

* IF YOU DONT NEED TO FLASH A NEW ROM THEN PROCEED TO STEP6 TO PUT YOUR DESIRED RADIO BACK*

5. Download and Flash your Prefered Rom

Flashing Via ActiveSync
1. REMOVE SIM and microSD CARDS !!
2. Turn phone back on and wait until it syncs with your PC
3. Run the KaiserCustomRUU.exe from the Roms Folder
4. Once phone finishes flashing, resets and gets to the screen where it configures the stylus, HARD RESET
(press left and right softkey buttons on the front and hold in reset with stylus until message appears)
5. When prompted, Press "Send Button" (Green Call Button on Front) to Clear Data
6. When prompted, Press "Send Button" (Green Call Button on Front) to Restart Phone
7. Follow onscreen instructions to set up your New Rom
8. Once phone has gone through customisation procedure then replace Sim and microSD Cards
9. Turn phone back on and set up as required

Flashing Via MicroSD Card
1. Make sure your microSD is Formatted to fat32 (you dont have to delete all files but it is safer if you do)
2. Download your prefered Rom from the Kaiser Rom Develpoment Page and unzip/unrar it to your computer
3. Goto the Roms Folder and rename the .nbh file to KAISIMG.nbh
4. Copy the KAISIMG.nbh file to the root of your MicroSD Card
5. Plug the MicroSD Card into the phone
6. Hold in the Power and Camera buttons, then press the reset button with the stylus for about 3 seconds until the BootLoader screen appears
7. You will first see a tri-color screen with the phone and SPL Information at the top
8. A message will then pop up asking you to press the Power button to start the update
9. Press power button to start flashing
10. Once phone finishes flashing and says Update Complete, reset with the stylus
11. When it gets to the screen where it configures the stylus, HARD RESET
(press left and right softkey buttons on the front and hold in reset with stylus until message appears)
12. When prompted, Press "Send Button" (Green Call Button on Front) to Clear Data
13. When prompted, Press "Send Button" (Green Call Button on Front) to Restart Phone
14. Follow onscreen instructions to set up your New Rom

If you have a Tilt and have problems with the Hardware Keyboard after flashing just install *THIS*

6. Flash Prefered Radio if Desired [OPTIONAL]
Note:
Most of the newer Roms come with a Matched Radio included but if you need to update your Radio then look here:
The Ultimate Radio Thread
and find a Radio that matches your Rom.

*MAKE SURE YOU HAVE HARDSPL ON YOUR DEVICE AND AT LEAST 50% BATTERY BEFORE FLASHING*

Flashing Via ActiveSync
Sync your phone with the computer and run the KaiserCustomRUU.exe from the Radio's Folder

Flashing via MicroSD Card
Use same method as Flashing a Rom via MicroSD except after Radio has flashed, press the reset button with the stylus to reset the device.

7. Job done
Well Done YOU DID IT.

I have attached all the files needed so you dont need to hunt around for anything. Good Luck.

*DISCLAIMER*
I take no responsibility for any fault, or damage caused by any procedures in this guide. No warranties of any kind are given.

Last edited:
Reactions: kljoki and johnhale

mskip

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 20, 2008
Norfolk
Flashing your First Rom (For Noobs)

** FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS AND HELP WHEN FLASHING **

*BEFORE FLASHING A NEW ROM PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE READ THE LIST OF INSTALLED APPS INCLUDED IN THE ROM. ALSO READ THE ROMS THREAD FROM THE DATE YOUR VERSION WAS UPLOADED TO GET INFORMATION ABOUT ISSUES OR PROBLEMS SO YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE PUTTING ON YOUR PHONE*

1. What are the benefits of flashing a new rom?
2. What is the SPL (Second Program Loader)?
3. What are the different types of Unlock? (answer by DaveShaw)
4. What is a Radio?
5. What is Manila2D?
6. Whats the difference between Hard and Soft Reset? (and How to perform a Hard Reset)
7. After I flash a Rom I dont have any sound in calls and the camera is black
8. I get an Error Code when trying to Flash
9. Flash gets Stuck at 17% and wont finish
10. Screen on phone goes black after flashing Radio for Sim Unlocking

Flashing a New Rom basically gets rid of all the bloatware thats included on Stock Roms and Flashes a Clean, Optimized, Fully loaded Rom that will squeeze every ounce of speed and stability from your phone. Chefs usually include all the programs you are ever likely to need and because the Rom has been cleaned out you are left with more memory to play around with.

Read *HERE* for more information.

3. What are the different types of Unlock?
(answer by DaveShaw)
The three stages of unlock are:
SIM: Allows you to use SIM's from another carrier. Can be done using codes or unlocker programs on xda-devs.
Security: Allows you to flash radios from another device - It does other stuff, but this is all the casual user will use it for :)
CID: CID unlocking is an old concept, nowadays you flash HardSPL instead. This lets you flash any ROM, Splash or Radio (depending on sec unlock) to your device. N.B. the CID is the carrier ID (e.g. HTC__001). The stock SPL's only let you flash ROM's that match the CID in the ROM image with the CID on your device.

Also, SuperCID is an even older concept no longer valid on newer devices.

4. What is a Radio?
The Radio is the Firmware that works between the Operating System and the Cellular Hardware. It handles the Sound, Camera, GPS, Phone Calls, etc. The Radio must be compatable with the ROM's Operating System or you may experience problems with your sound and camera.

5. What is Manila2D?
Manila2D is a Great Today Screen Plugin that disables all other plugins and replaces them with a fully loaded interface that gives you easy access to your phones programs. It has a customizable number of Sliding Tabs at the bottom, each tab giving you a screen specific to your needs.

The Tabs are as follows: "Home" has a clock, alarm mode, call history and calendar. "People" gives you a picture contact for easy calling or texting. "Launcher" lets you set up a list of programs that are easily accessable from one screen. "Messaging" and "Email" give you a very attractive and easy way to read and manipulate your messages. An "Internet" Tab with easy Internet Browser launching and the option to add one press shortcuts. "Location"
lets you access your GPS quickly via GoogleMaps and "Weather" has great graphics to let you see what its like outside without having to step out of your door. "Photo" and "Music" lets you view your Media quickly without the need to run a seperate program and last but not least "Settings" gives you control of your Sounds, Wallpaper and Communications.

For more information on Manila2D Development and to download it go *HERE*
Most aspects can be customized using a great program called M2DC which you can download *HERE*

Manila2D is a beta plugin still in development and doesnt work at all well in Landscape mode, so its best to use it in Portrait mode and then flip out your keyboard once you are in the program you need to use. If that bothers you then dont use it.

6. Whats the difference between Hard and Soft Reset?

Soft reset
is basically the same as rebooting your computer. Its done by pressing the stylus into the little hole on the bottom of the kaiser to the right of the usb connector. It just restarts the kaiser if you have been doing alot of stuff on it and want to speed it up or after installing some software that needs a soft reset to complete the installation.

Hard Reset is completely different and you would be hard pressed to do it by accident lol. Its done by holding down the left and right soft keys and then pressing the soft reset button with the stylus for approx 3 seconds. You will then be given the option to press the green send button which will wipe all stored data on your phone and return it to the orginal condition it was in after first flashing it. Hard Resets are performed after flashing to make sure nothing was left from your previous Rom or if something goes wrong on your phone and you want to go back to a fresh Rom without reflashing it.

How To Perform a Hard Reset (from the Wiki): Read *HERE*

The Radio has to match the version of Rom you flash i.e. WM6.1, an incorrect Radio will give sound and camera problems. Read The Ultimate Radio Thread to find a Radio that matches the Rom there are lots to try on there if one doesnt work then try another.

Read *HERE* for a list of all RUU Error Codes and possible solutions.

Enter recovery mode to finish flashing by following these steps:

1. From the Rom Update Utility on the PC click "Recovery"
2. Disconnect the USB cable

3. Remove the battery for 3 secs
4. Put the battery back in and power up the phone
5. At this point the tri colour screen should appear
6. Connect the USB cable
7. Click "Update" and the RUU installer starts again and flashes.

The screen is black because the radio that is flashed to the phone to unlock it is incompatable with your current rom. As long as you have flashed HardSPL then you wont have any troubles.

If you are planning to upgrade your rom to a new one then flash it via the microSD Card method and then go back after and do the Sim unlock stage (remembering to flash back a compatable radio after you finish unlocking it). If you dont want to upgrade the rom then you need to flash a radio that works with your rom (see The Ultimate Radio Thread).

Last edited:
Reactions: johnhale

mindspawn

Jul 16, 2006
Thanks for the excellent post. What does ** YOUR DEVICE MUST BE SYNCED BEFORE RUNNING EACH STEP ** mean? Do you mean just ActiveSync? Doesnt ActiveSync just sync contacts, calendar etc., so how does that matter ?

mskip

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 20, 2008
Norfolk
Thanks for the excellent post. What does ** YOUR DEVICE MUST BE SYNCED BEFORE RUNNING EACH STEP ** mean? Do you mean just ActiveSync? Doesnt ActiveSync just sync contacts, calendar etc., so how does that matter ?
Yes it means ActiveSync and when you sync your phone with the computer it links the 2 so that you can perform flashes or run programs on your computer for use with the phone.

DaveShaw

Senior Moderator Emeritus
Dec 4, 2007
Huddersfield
www.taeguk.co.uk
Nice one.

I often wanted to write this myself, but couldn't find the time for another project.

If one of the Kind Mods would sticky it...?;)

Just my opinion... if the chef's linked to this page as part of their "Instructions" it would save a few newbie questions.
My first ROM flash, back in the Wizard days, was: find a nice ROM, read instructions in the ROM thread, which linked me to a similar thread, then flash the ROM. Tada. :)

Ta
Dave

MOD EDIT: Ask and ye shall receive. I wonder if you could put in in the Wiki Too?

Last edited by a moderator:

tchavei

Sep 19, 2008
Just two comments.

There are two methods to Security Unlock your phone. The first one is the one mentioned in this thread. It seems to work well for some but in my personal case, it didn't (well, I'm still not sure about it). What can happen if you follow method #1 is that although the Tri-color screen states "Security Unlocked", once you flash a new radio, that message will dissapear. If this means that the phone isn't security unlocked anymore is something that remains to be cleared up. I did change my CID and it did remove the simlocks despite the message dissapearing once you flash back your original radio.

The second method is the one described here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=1837147&postcount=1

This is the Jockey method. It is a little more complicated than method #1 but it allowed to unlock my device and have the "Security Unlocked" remain in the tri-color screen no matter what HardSPL and Radio I flashed since I unlocked it.

I'm not saying that method #1 doesn't work, I'm just saying that in my particular case, the "SU" message didn't stay permanently and since I had my doubts, I tried method #2 which worked flawlessly for me.

Good Luck
Tony

Last edited:

brynweb

Mar 1, 2007
London
Nice job.

May also be worth mentioning that points 1 through 4 only need be carried out on any phone ONCE. After which, you can download and flash new ROMs to your heart's content, until you find the one that's right for you.

Bryn

StevesDesigns

Jan 28, 2007
Fort Worth, Tx
Small Addition

I would like to add to this post....

While the flashing process is taking place, DO NOT start another process.
DO NOT click off of the status bar... Let it stay in the foreground.
DO NOT let the screensaver activate either.

Any of these things can take processor time away from the flashing process and could possible "hiccup" the flash, causing a bad flash and possibly (slight possibility) brick the device. Especially if you are replacing the SPL.

There are alot of posts that tell how for the newbs to flash their device, but I see ALOT of posts that say "I followed the directions, but still bricked, HELP"

I can only wonder if they are starting the flashing process then going to internet explorer (or some other browser) or loading another program to ocupy their time while the flashing is going on which is causing a bad flash.

My thoughts......

RedMist

Jan 18, 2008
Swansea
Excellent tutorial. Thanks.

But, can you explain what SPL and CID stand for.

Whats hardSPL (or softSPL for that matter) And why do i need to unlock my CID! :D

Thanks again! :D

DaveShaw

Senior Moderator Emeritus
Dec 4, 2007
Huddersfield
www.taeguk.co.uk

mskip

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 20, 2008
Norfolk
I would like to add to this post....

While the flashing process is taking place, DO NOT start another process.
DO NOT click off of the status bar... Let it stay in the foreground.
DO NOT let the screensaver activate either.

Any of these things can take processor time away from the flashing process and could possible "hiccup" the flash, causing a bad flash and possibly (slight possibility) brick the device. Especially if you are replacing the SPL.

There are alot of posts that tell how for the newbs to flash their device, but I see ALOT of posts that say "I followed the directions, but still bricked, HELP"

I can only wonder if they are starting the flashing process then going to internet explorer (or some other browser) or loading another program to ocupy their time while the flashing is going on which is causing a bad flash.

My thoughts......
Added :) any additions to make this process easier to understand and safer are welcome.

scotchua

Retired Senior Moderator
Aug 10, 2007
Ketchikan, Alaska
www.scotchua.com

My thoughts......

That is a good idea to make sure that it is clear to new users. Personally, in my experience when a user says "i followed the directions, but still bricked, HELP" it is because they PRETTY MUCH followed the directions, but forgot something when they were reading. It's really easy to do, but often leads to mistakes and undesired results.

mindspawn

Jul 16, 2006
Hi, thanks your wonderful instructions, I flashed my tilt to hyperdragon III. Just a few comments:

You mention remove sd and sim cards. Please also mention at what stage it is safe to put them back into the phone.

In section 3 step 10, you mention follow instructions. I dont think one should try to active sync (it is part of instructions of the rom upgrade software) since we disabled usb connection in activesync.

SPIDERTECH

Feb 21, 2008
Texas
Thanks a million

I can't thank you enough for this tutorial. I was having a hell of a time finding exactly how to do it. I followed this step by step and it was a breeze. I had the new 6.1 ROM on my tilt and it was just pissing me off so now (thanks to you) I'm running HyperDragon III.

mskip

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 20, 2008
Norfolk
I can't thank you enough for this tutorial. I was having a hell of a time finding exactly how to do it. I followed this step by step and it was a breeze. I had the new 6.1 ROM on my tilt and it was just pissing me off so now (thanks to you) I'm running HyperDragon III.
Im glad it gave you the confidence to upgrade to a great new rom its the reason I wrote it. XDA is a caring and supportive community and there will always be someone willing to help out if you need it. Mark.

babyface215

Jun 3, 2008
This all speaks on Flashing your ROM..but how about

simply Flashing the Radio? What steps should I follow..and yes I am a newbee.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PLEASE READ THE *FAQ* BEFORE FLASHING OR ASKING QUESTIONS!!

This *Easy Guide* is for the all the Noobs that want a New Rom but are getting confused and dont want to brick their nice new phone.

I used Jockys HardSPL v3.29 and OliPros' CID Unlocker for this.

Before you start, backup anything on your phone that you might want to keep after the new Rom has been flashed because all contacts/ emails/ texts/ notes/ Internet BookMarks/ ect. WILL be lost!!

PimBackup is good and free (copy any mms attachments to your storage card or computer seperately)

If you get stuck in the Bootloader Screen (Tri-Colour Screen with text in the top left) go *HERE* (thanks to DaveShaw)

*STEPS 1 - 4 ONLY NEED TO BE CARRIED OUT ONCE. ONCE YOU HAVE FLASHED HARDSPL YOU DONT NEED TO DO IT AGAIN WHEN FLASHING NEW ROMS OR RADIOS*

*DO NOT start another process while the flashing process is taking place*
    *DO NOT click off of the status bar... Let it stay in the foreground*
    *DO NOT let the ScreenSaver activate*

(any of these can lead to a bad flash and possibly brick your phone)

1. MAKE SURE YOUR KAISER HAS AT LEAST 50% BATTERY POWER FIRST

2. Download and Unzip *THIS* File

3. Flash HardSPL 3.29 [ESSENTIAL]

Flashing via ActiveSync with USB Lead
    1. Copy JumpSPL1.56-KAIS.exe, JumpSPL1.93-KAIS.exe and JumpSPL1.94-KAIS.exe to your device memory (NOT STORAGE CARD)
    2. Pull out the battery and reinsert it (this step IS important) *DONT turn phone back on yet*
    3. REMOVE SIM and SD CARDS!!
    4. Turn phone back on and let it boot back into your operating system
    5. Connect your phone to PC with a USB cable and wait until it syncs with your PC
    6. Run File Explorer on your phone, browse to where you copied JumpSPL1.56-KAIS.exe on your device and run it (make sure the USB cable is still connected). If you get a white screen then reset your device and now try JumpSPL1.93 and lastly try JumpSPL1.94 if that one doesnt work.
    7. CLick Continue on phone when prompted
    8. After a few seconds the tri colour screen will appear on the phone and "USB" will be displayed at the bottom
    9. Unplug the usb cable for 30 seconds and then Replug (phone will not re-sync but still says "USB" on the screen)
    10. Right click on the Activesync icon in the bottom corner icon on the computer, goto connection settings, deselect "Allow USB connections" and click "ok"
    11. Run the KaiserCustomRUU.exe file on your PC thats in the same folder as the HardSPL .nbh file and follow instructions (ticking boxes and clicking Next) *DO NOT re-enable USB Connections in Activesync*
    12. Update will goto 100% (should take less than a minute), the Congratulations screen will be displayed on the PC and the phone will restart
    13. Unplug USB cable from phone then REPLACE SIM and SD CARDS !!
    14. Restart phone

*Remember to re-enable "Allow USB connections" in Activesync connection settings after a successful flash*

Flashing via MicroSD Card using cmonex HardSPL 3.29
    [OPTIONAL]

FOR UPGRADING HARDSPL ONLY!! THIS WONT WORK UNLESS YOU ALREADY HAVE HARDSPL ON YOUR PHONE

2. Download Cmonex's HardSPL 3.29SD, unzip it and copy the 2 files into the root of your MicroSD Card
    (KAISDIAG.NBH is basically an SSPL patched to load from SD without booting OS)
    (KAISIMG.NBH is cmonex HardSPL 3.29)
    3. Insert the microSD Card into the phone
    4. Hold in the Power and Camera buttons, then press the reset button with the stylus for about 3 seconds until the BootLoader screen appears
    5. It should say Loading / Update in progress and then to a screen saying SPL 1.00.OliNex
    6. It should now say Press Power Button to flash or just flash the KAISIMG.NBH and then reset
    7. At this point it should boot to the OS, if it doesn't then flash an OS (delete the previous KAISDIAG.NBH and KAISIMG.NBH from the SD Card and use Flashing Rom from MicroSD Card method)
    8. After the Operating System loads, DELETE the KAISDIAG.NBH and KAISIMG.NBH files

*To check HardSPL version on your phone Enter Bootloader by Holding in the Power and Camera buttons, press
    the reset button with the stylus for 3 seconds until the tri-colour screen appears, then read the 2nd line which is the SPL version*

4. SIM and CID-Unlock [OPTIONAL]

For more reading go *HERE*

* YOUR DEVICE MUST BE SYNCHED WITH YOUR COMPUTER BEFORE RUNNING EACH STEP *

*Put your phone into Bootloader and update to a 6.1 Rom first if you get a black screen after Flashing the Patched Radio*

*If the program wont run u may need to install Microsoft .NET 2.0 on your computer to get it working*

1. Make a note of your current Radio in case you need to flash it back
    2. Run KaiserUnlocker.exe, follow the instructions
    (if you already have HardSPL on your phone you can skip straight to Step2)
    3. After patched Radio has been flashed phone will restart and sync with the computer
    4. On the Unlocker Program it should say Radio Patched at the bottom
    5. Click on Step3 (Run Unlocker). This will bring up the Unlocker screen on your phone
    6. If you want to check the status of your Sim Lock or CID Lock click the appropriate buttons
    7. Click on Remove Sim Lock and Set CID, then click "Commit Changes"

* IF YOU DONT NEED TO FLASH A NEW ROM THEN PROCEED TO STEP6 TO PUT YOUR DESIRED RADIO BACK*

5. Download and Flash your Prefered Rom

Flashing Via ActiveSync
    1. REMOVE SIM and microSD CARDS !!
    2. Turn phone back on and wait until it syncs with your PC
    3. Run the KaiserCustomRUU.exe from the Roms Folder
    4. Once phone finishes flashing, resets and gets to the screen where it configures the stylus, HARD RESET
    5. When prompted, Press "Send Button" (Green Call Button on Front) to Clear Data
    6. When prompted, Press "Send Button" (Green Call Button on Front) to Restart Phone
    7. Follow onscreen instructions to set up your New Rom
    8. Once phone has gone through customisation procedure then replace Sim and microSD Cards
    9. Turn phone back on and set up as required

Flashing Via MicroSD Card
    2. Download your prefered Rom from the Kaiser Rom Develpoment Page and unzip/unrar it to your computer
    3. Goto the Roms Folder and rename the .nbh file to KAISIMG.nbh
    4. Copy the KAISIMG.nbh file to the root of your MicroSD Card
    5. Plug the MicroSD Card into the phone
    6. Hold in the Power and Camera buttons, then press the reset button with the stylus for about 3 seconds until the BootLoader screen appears
    7. You will first see a tri-color screen with the phone and SPL Information at the top
    8. A message will then pop up asking you to press the Power button to start the update
    9. Press power button to start flashing
    10. Once phone finishes flashing and says Update Complete, reset with the stylus
    11. When it gets to the screen where it configures the stylus, HARD RESET
    12. When prompted, Press "Send Button" (Green Call Button on Front) to Clear Data
    13. When prompted, Press "Send Button" (Green Call Button on Front) to Restart Phone
    14. Follow onscreen instructions to set up your New Rom

If you have a Tilt and have problems with the Hardware Keyboard after flashing just install *THIS*

6. Flash Prefered Radio if Desired [OPTIONAL]
    Note:
    Most of the newer Roms come with a Matched Radio included but if you need to update your Radio then look here:
    The Ultimate Radio Thread
    and find a Radio that matches your Rom.

*MAKE SURE YOU HAVE HARDSPL ON YOUR DEVICE AND AT LEAST 50% BATTERY BEFORE FLASHING*

Flashing Via ActiveSync
    Sync your phone with the computer and run the KaiserCustomRUU.exe from the Radio's Folder

Flashing via MicroSD Card
    Use same method as Flashing a Rom via MicroSD except after Radio has flashed, press the reset button with the stylus to reset the device.

7. Job done
    Well Done YOU DID IT.

I have attached all the files needed so you dont need to hunt around for anything. Good Luck.

*DISCLAIMER*
    I take no responsibility for any fault, or damage caused by any procedures in this guide. No warranties of any kind are given.
    Flashing your First Rom (For Noobs)

** FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS AND HELP WHEN FLASHING **

*BEFORE FLASHING A NEW ROM PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE READ THE LIST OF INSTALLED APPS INCLUDED IN THE ROM. ALSO READ THE ROMS THREAD FROM THE DATE YOUR VERSION WAS UPLOADED TO GET INFORMATION ABOUT ISSUES OR PROBLEMS SO YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE PUTTING ON YOUR PHONE*

3. What are the different types of Unlock? (answer by DaveShaw)
    4. What is a Radio?
    5. What is Manila2D?
    6. Whats the difference between Hard and Soft Reset? (and How to perform a Hard Reset)

Flashing a New Rom basically gets rid of all the bloatware thats included on Stock Roms and Flashes a Clean, Optimized, Fully loaded Rom that will squeeze every ounce of speed and stability from your phone. Chefs usually include all the programs you are ever likely to need and because the Rom has been cleaned out you are left with more memory to play around with.

Read *HERE* for more information.

3. What are the different types of Unlock?
    (answer by DaveShaw)
    The three stages of unlock are:
    SIM: Allows you to use SIM's from another carrier. Can be done using codes or unlocker programs on xda-devs.
    Security: Allows you to flash radios from another device - It does other stuff, but this is all the casual user will use it for :)
    CID: CID unlocking is an old concept, nowadays you flash HardSPL instead. This lets you flash any ROM, Splash or Radio (depending on sec unlock) to your device. N.B. the CID is the carrier ID (e.g. HTC__001). The stock SPL's only let you flash ROM's that match the CID in the ROM image with the CID on your device.

Also, SuperCID is an even older concept no longer valid on newer devices.

4. What is a Radio?
    The Radio is the Firmware that works between the Operating System and the Cellular Hardware. It handles the Sound, Camera, GPS, Phone Calls, etc. The Radio must be compatable with the ROM's Operating System or you may experience problems with your sound and camera.

5. What is Manila2D?
    Manila2D is a Great Today Screen Plugin that disables all other plugins and replaces them with a fully loaded interface that gives you easy access to your phones programs. It has a customizable number of Sliding Tabs at the bottom, each tab giving you a screen specific to your needs.

The Tabs are as follows: "Home" has a clock, alarm mode, call history and calendar. "People" gives you a picture contact for easy calling or texting. "Launcher" lets you set up a list of programs that are easily accessable from one screen. "Messaging" and "Email" give you a very attractive and easy way to read and manipulate your messages. An "Internet" Tab with easy Internet Browser launching and the option to add one press shortcuts. "Location"
    lets you access your GPS quickly via GoogleMaps and "Weather" has great graphics to let you see what its like outside without having to step out of your door. "Photo" and "Music" lets you view your Media quickly without the need to run a seperate program and last but not least "Settings" gives you control of your Sounds, Wallpaper and Communications.

For more information on Manila2D Development and to download it go *HERE*
    Most aspects can be customized using a great program called M2DC which you can download *HERE*

Manila2D is a beta plugin still in development and doesnt work at all well in Landscape mode, so its best to use it in Portrait mode and then flip out your keyboard once you are in the program you need to use. If that bothers you then dont use it.

6. Whats the difference between Hard and Soft Reset?

Soft reset
    is basically the same as rebooting your computer. Its done by pressing the stylus into the little hole on the bottom of the kaiser to the right of the usb connector. It just restarts the kaiser if you have been doing alot of stuff on it and want to speed it up or after installing some software that needs a soft reset to complete the installation.

Hard Reset is completely different and you would be hard pressed to do it by accident lol. Its done by holding down the left and right soft keys and then pressing the soft reset button with the stylus for approx 3 seconds. You will then be given the option to press the green send button which will wipe all stored data on your phone and return it to the orginal condition it was in after first flashing it. Hard Resets are performed after flashing to make sure nothing was left from your previous Rom or if something goes wrong on your phone and you want to go back to a fresh Rom without reflashing it.

How To Perform a Hard Reset (from the Wiki): Read *HERE*

The Radio has to match the version of Rom you flash i.e. WM6.1, an incorrect Radio will give sound and camera problems. Read The Ultimate Radio Thread to find a Radio that matches the Rom there are lots to try on there if one doesnt work then try another.

Read *HERE* for a list of all RUU Error Codes and possible solutions.

Enter recovery mode to finish flashing by following these steps:

1. From the Rom Update Utility on the PC click "Recovery"
    2. Disconnect the USB cable

3. Remove the battery for 3 secs
    4. Put the battery back in and power up the phone
    5. At this point the tri colour screen should appear
    6. Connect the USB cable
    7. Click "Update" and the RUU installer starts again and flashes.

The screen is black because the radio that is flashed to the phone to unlock it is incompatable with your current rom. As long as you have flashed HardSPL then you wont have any troubles.

If you are planning to upgrade your rom to a new one then flash it via the microSD Card method and then go back after and do the Sim unlock stage (remembering to flash back a compatable radio after you finish unlocking it). If you dont want to upgrade the rom then you need to flash a radio that works with your rom (see The Ultimate Radio Thread).