[Kernel][4/26/2012][Sense][SWAP][2WCR][Freedom Base] Evo4g Lionfish 1.8 GB 2.6.35.10

Search This thread

pmacevad

What's the intellidemand for? Didn't make much sense on Google search other than seems like its for dual core cpus

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Check out this post. I'm thinking its an ondemand governor that is snappy when using gpu and when gpu is "idle" it behaves less aggressively. I also believe it says that when screen is off it will not allow the processor to run at max set speed, behaving like a screen off profile. It's supposed to deliver better battery as well. Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding. Anyways, here it is:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1369817

Thanks op for including the intellidemand governor into this release. So far I am getting great response and battery life with this governor. There are a couple of governors in that post that are interesting and would be nice to have/try. Thanks for the kernel and keep it up!

Sent from my Modded Evo... It's easier this way. :D

detcup4evr

Jun 18, 2010
Commerce Twp
github.com
If you need any testing done be sure to get a hold of me...
I have 2 spare EVO's that are for nothing but play as well
as I dabble in basic programming..

Sounds fun...flashing now

Not sure how much u dabble, but if you want to take a look at arch/arm/mach-msm/htc_battery.c and see if you have any ideas on SBC let me know. I am putting it back on the back burner for now... I can create test kernels if you make any modifications to the battery program.

Leeboy

Apr 15, 2009
Backwoods of MI
Intellidemand:
Intellidemand aka Intelligent Ondemand from Faux is yet another governor that's based on ondemand. Unlike what some users believe, this governor is not the replacement for OC Daemon (Having different governors for sleep and awake). The original intellidemand behaves differently according to GPU usage. When GPU is really busy (gaming, maps, benchmarking, etc) intellidemand behaves like ondemand. When GPU is 'idling' (or moderately busy), intellidemand limits max frequency to a step depending on frequencies available in your device/kernel for saving battery. This is called browsing mode. We can see some 'traces' of interactive governor here. Frequency scale-up decision is made based on idling time of CPU. Lower idling time (<20%) causes CPU to scale-up from current frequency. Frequency scale-down happens at steps=5% of max frequency. (This parameter is tunable only in conservative, among the popular governors )
To sum up, this is an intelligent ondemand that enters browsing mode to limit max frequency when GPU is idling, and (exits browsing mode) behaves like ondemand when GPU is busy; to deliver performance for gaming and such. Intellidemand does not jump to highest frequency when screen is off.

I have been using Intellidemand for a couple days and it seems to work well, Although to be honest I can't speak to battery life as I am pretty much flashing at least 1 test Kernel a day.

Very informative post.......I was in the process of doing a write up on it myself. Thanks detcup! This should clearly solve anyone's concerns on what this governer does.

Reactions: Steve98124

revcp

Nov 8, 2008
Twin Cities
Very informative post.......I was in the process of doing a write up on it myself. Thanks detcup! This should clearly solve anyone's concerns on what this governer does.

Excellent kernel. Thanks very much. Running Aggressive through System Tuner on InteractiveX at 768-128 and it's doing wonderfully well.

audiovicious

Sep 5, 2010
EVERYTIME I flash this, I end up just stuck sitting at the splash screen, and I've tired everything.

Back to Freedom, I guess. I really wanted to try out the Smartass v2 governor too.

I wipe cache and dalvik, and just flash. I've tried several times and had to restore back everytime. No idea what the problem is.

revcp

Nov 8, 2008
Twin Cities
EVERYTIME I flash this, I end up just stuck sitting at the splash screen, and I've tired everything.

Back to Freedom, I guess. I really wanted to try out the Smartass v2 governor too.

I wipe cache and dalvik, and just flash. I've tried several times and had to restore back everytime. No idea what the problem is.

What Rom are you using? Which recovery? Use amon ra 2.3 for recovery. Depending on your Rom you may need to mount data prior to flashing the kernel.

Sent from my PC36100 using xda premium

ca1ne

Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 16, 2011
East Coast
I'm working on one to, a little bit behind because I started with stock, if I get sbc working, I will make out a github update by itself so you can take a look at it... Are you trying savage's method of being able to turn it on and off as lithid was working on, our two separate kernels to flash?

Reactions: jessesse

audiovicious

Sep 5, 2010
What Rom are you using? Which recovery? Use amon ra 2.3 for recovery. Depending on your Rom you may need to mount data prior to flashing the kernel.

Sent from my PC36100 using xda premium

Used Amon Ra 2.3, like always, and I'm on Synergy RLS1, and I tried both ways. No idea what the problem is. Flashed like I always do, thought maybe I was being impatient, but i let it sit and got nothing. Maybe a bad download or something, no idea.

revcp

Nov 8, 2008
Twin Cities
Used Amon Ra 2.3, like always, and I'm on Synergy RLS1, and I tried both ways. No idea what the problem is. Flashed like I always do, thought maybe I was being impatient, but i let it sit and got nothing. Maybe a bad download or something, no idea.

Odd. Yes, I would say you're right about the bad download. However, I've had issues in the past (most before I moved to the 4g from the Hero) where certain kernels simply refused to work for me. My experience was exactly the same as yours, that it just stuck on the HTC flash screen and would go nowhere. I would shut down, go through my wipe process, flash a kernel that had worked before and booted up fine. So, either a bad download of for some reason your 4g just doesn't like the kernel.

Good luck.

audiovicious

Sep 5, 2010
Odd. Yes, I would say you're right about the bad download. However, I've had issues in the past (most before I moved to the 4g from the Hero) where certain kernels simply refused to work for me. My experience was exactly the same as yours, that it just stuck on the HTC flash screen and would go nowhere. I would shut down, go through my wipe process, flash a kernel that had worked before and booted up fine. So, either a bad download of for some reason your 4g just doesn't like the kernel.

Good luck.

Maybe I'll try again. For now, tired of flashing and restoring.

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer

This may seem like a weird question, but what HBOOT version do you have?

detcup4evr

Jun 18, 2010
Commerce Twp
github.com
I'm working on one to, a little bit behind because I started with stock, if I get sbc working, I will make out a github update by itself so you can take a look at it... Are you trying savage's method of being able to turn it on and off as lithid was working on, our two separate kernels to flash?

I was trying with separate versions, I was able alter charging behavior, but not enough. I like the on off option, makes it easier to maintain. So I would hope eventually I could do that.

I am also going to see if I can eliminate all the undervolting versions and replace with a user controllable version.
I got a lot of other items I am looking at but I figure undervolting file is going to quickly move to the top of the list, as 3 kernels are easier to deal with than 12 :)

Let me know if u figure out sbc I am sure a number of people would be excited

Sent from my Synergized Aggressive Lionfish Evo using the XDA app

Last edited:

audiovicious

Sep 5, 2010
Hm, I wonder if running that Smurfed Out script has anything to do with it.

EDIT: During my wipes, I wouldn't have it anyway, and it was occuring, so that wouldn't have anything to do with it.

Last edited:

linsalata28

Dec 25, 2010
Rio Grande
This is my First attempt at making a Kernel Mod. I loved Lithid’s Freedom kernel, but wanted a few more features, so I thought I would give modding a try.

First off thanks to All the great Kernel Developers out there: Lithid, Netarchy, Taostmod, barnacles10, Ziggy. You guys and your work were my inspiration for the mods I made.

Thanks to All the Rom builders particularly to Myn and team Syngery for showing me that Root was for more than Wifi tether.

This Kernel is based on Lithid’s Freedom ver .9 kernel. So it will contain all the Freedom enhancments.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1192529

I will continue creating 4 versions of the Kernel, I would start with stock or less then move your way up not all Evo’s can support all modes:

Stock Lionfish – uses stock voltages
Less Lionfish - Under volts CPU by 50mv
More Lionfish – Under volts CPU by 100mv
Aggressive Lionfish – Under volts CPU by 150mv

Lionfish Version 1.0 Add-ons
- Added Swap Support
- Added SmartAss2 governor (Thanks Ziggy)
- Tiny RCU enabled - Netarchy
- Audio volume Tweaks - Netarchy
- Changed Boot Speed to 998 mhz (From 728) - Netarchy
- Scheduler Changed to SIO

Lionfish 1.2 Additions
- 2 Way call recording (Cyanogenmod Team,nmdang,streetdegree,bananacakes,google search,skvalex,2wcr
- 10 Point Multi Touch (barnacles10)

Lionfish 1.4 Addition
- Added Intellidemand Governor (Thanks Faux123 and Tiny4579)

You assume all Risk When Flashing this Kernel; I cannot guarantee it will work on your device.

Please be aware that Recording Conversations may be Illegal in some situations, be sure to Follow all Laws pertaining to Recording Phone calls. You are responsible for any laws you break.

Tips and Tricks for a sucessfull Install
1. If you are usinig V6 SuperCharger with kernel i/O tweaks. Please uninstal the I/O Scheduler tweak. Failure to do so may casue random reboots. (Thanks Kelldane!!)
2. Please navigate to the system/etc folder and scroll down until you find the init.post_boot.sh file and either delete it or move it to a safe place on your sd card. More Info (Thanks Leeboy!!)

My Evo is currently running:
Synergy RS1 (Sense 2.1/3.0 Hybrid)
Baseband version: 2.15.00.12.19
PRI Version: 2.33-003
PRL Version: 60683

See FAQ before Flashing

Please See Attachments for latest Version 1.4

God Mode Versions Can be found here
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22640470&postcount=51

Expermintal Sense 3.5 Version Same as universal but mounts /data first may not be needed on All Sense Roms:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23109708&postcount=112

My Github

I've been on my 3d for a while but I'm playing around with my og Evo and I'm going to try your kernel out. Its really cool to see someone picked up kernel development on this phone.
Thanks for your work.

Greytest

Jul 29, 2011
PHILLY
1.4 running like a champ. Dare I say its running even better with intellidemand? Seems to be.

Sent from my Lionfish fed, Energy infused EVO via xda premium.

EindhovenOne

Jun 10, 2010
NJ
For whatever reason I am getting stuck on my boot screen after flashing any of the GodMode versions...followed the instructions exactly and no such luck. I don't know what could be the hang up...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is my First attempt at making a Kernel Mod. I loved Lithid’s Freedom kernel, but wanted a few more features, so I thought I would give modding a try.

First off thanks to All the great Kernel Developers out there: Lithid, Netarchy, Taostmod, barnacles10, Ziggy. You guys and your work were my inspiration for the mods I made.

Thanks to All the Rom builders particularly to Myn and team Syngery for showing me that Root was for more than Wifi tether.

This Kernel is based on Lithid’s Freedom ver .9 kernel. So it will contain all the Freedom enhancments.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1192529

I will continue creating 4 versions of the Kernel, I would start with stock or less then move your way up not all Evo’s can support all modes:

Stock Lionfish – uses stock voltages
    Less Lionfish - Under volts CPU by 50mv
    More Lionfish – Under volts CPU by 100mv
    Aggressive Lionfish – Under volts CPU by 150mv

Lionfish Version 1.0 Add-ons
    - Added Swap Support
    - Added SmartAss2 governor (Thanks Ziggy)
    - Tiny RCU enabled - Netarchy
    - Audio volume Tweaks - Netarchy
    - Changed Boot Speed to 998 mhz (From 728) - Netarchy
    - Scheduler Changed to SIO

Lionfish 1.2 Additions
    - 2 Way call recording (Cyanogenmod Team,nmdang,streetdegree,bananacakes,google search,skvalex,2wcr
    - 10 Point Multi Touch (barnacles10)

Lionfish 1.4 Addition
    - Added Intellidemand Governor (Thanks Faux123 and Tiny4579)

Lionfish 1.6
    - Changed low battery cutoff for Flash to 1% from 15%
    - Added Zram and Clean Cache (Thanks Faux123)
    - Added Neon and Snap Dragon Enhancements (Thanks Faux123)
    - Tweaked Auto Brightness so it doesn’t get as bright

Lionfish 1.7 - Test Version

Lionfish 1.8 *Note First Boot May take a while*
    - Memory Tweaks (Thanks Cy4n1d3)
    - Added Zram Tweaks (Thanks Cy4n1d3)
    - Added BFQ, V(R) I/O schedulers
    - Added OndemandX Governor
    - Tiny Preempt RCU (Thanks imoseyon and Bananacakes)
    - Fast Battery Charging tweak (Thanks Imoseyon)
    - Removed CIQ (Thanks Ca1ne)
    - Added Ca1ne FFC fix (Thanks ca1ne)
    - Added an SBC version of the Kernel

MD5 Sums are located here

VERSION 1.8 WITHOUT the brightness tweak

You assume all Risk When Flashing this Kernel; I cannot guarantee it will work on your device.

Please be aware that Recording Conversations may be Illegal in some situations, be sure to Follow all Laws pertaining to Recording Phone calls. You are responsible for any laws you break.

Tips and Tricks for a sucessfull Install
    1. If you are usinig V6 SuperCharger with kernel i/O tweaks. Please uninstal the I/O Scheduler tweak. Failure to do so may casue random reboots. (Thanks Kelldane!!)
    2. Please navigate to the system/etc folder and scroll down until you find the init.post_boot.sh file and either delete it or move it to a safe place on your sd card. More Info (Thanks Leeboy!!)

My Evo is currently running:
    Synergy RS1 (Sense 2.1/3.0 Hybrid)
    Baseband version: 2.15.00.12.19
    PRI Version: 2.33-003
    PRL Version: 60683

See FAQ before Flashing

Known Issues:
    Roms based on 4.67.651.3 may have front facing camera image is mirrored

Please See Attachments for latest Version 1.6

God Mode Versions Can be found here
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22640470&postcount=51

Experimental Sense 3.5 Version Same as universal but mounts /data first may not be needed on All Sense Roms:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23109708&postcount=112

My Github
    FAQ:

Q: How do I install this?
    A: Use RA Recovery (Note: other recoveries may work but I only tested with RA Recovery)
    3. Make a nandroid Backup of your Phone
    4. Wipe Cache
    5. Wipe Dalvik Cache
    6. Wipe Cache
    7. Wipe Dalvik
    8. Flash Zip from SD card

Q: Why must I wipe Cache and Dalvik Cache 2x isn’t once enough?
    A; Feel free to take that risk, I always wipe cache and Dalvik cache twice, and never have issues after flashing a Kernel

Q: What are all these things like SIO, and SmartAss2?
    A: Please see this link for explanation of common Kernel modifications

Q: What is SIO?
    A: Simple I/O scheduler See Link above for more information or the following link for a performance comparision of the various I/O schedulers out there:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1176334

Q: How do I Use SWAP?
    A: You can create a Swap Partition or Use Swapper2 to create a swap file. To create a SWAP partition follow: (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1121538)
    1. BACK UP YOUR MEMORY CARD TO YOUR COMPUTER AS THIS WILL ERASE EVERYTHING!!==== THIS IS IMPORTANT
    2. Reboot into recovery (Use Amon RA 2.3==NOTHING OTHER THEN AMON )
    3. Select =Partition sdcard=
    4. Select =Partition SD=
    5. Set swap to Any Number I use 64

Q: How big of a SWAP should I create?
    A: I am using a 64 MB swap partition

Q: How do I activate Swap and See if it is working?
    A: App2SDGui, or swapper2 both apps can enable Swap, to check it Open Terminal and type Free at the prompt you will see your swap partition show up.

Q: Why is your Kernel named Lionfish, water and phones don’t typically mix well, will your Kernel make my phone waterproof?
    A: No your phone will not become waterproof with this kernel, I choose the name Lionfish because they are cool looking fish.

Q: I really like SBC will you add it?
    A: Not Likely, I recently was looking into SBC and playing with it I never got it to work quite right, and found that without SBC my phone will Change up to 4191mV SBC will charge your Phone higher than that, but not much higher. I might come back around to it one day, but please don’t clog up the thread with requests for sbc.

Q: My old favorite kernel did something that this one doesn’t do; can you make Lionfish do it?
    A: I make no promises, but will gladly evaluate any and all ideas?

Q: How Can I test Two Way Call Recording (2WCR)? (Follow all Laws Regarding Recording)
    A: Use the Call Recorder Trial http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1441643
    Been a while since I've posted over here......thought I would chirp in after reading several problems users are having with occasional reboots. For anyone using a third party app for setting cpu parameters (System Tuner, SetCpu etc.), it is best to FIRST navigate to the system/etc folder and scroll down until you find the init.post_boot.sh file and either delete it or move it to a safe place on your sd card. This file outlines several parameters for controlling your cpu at bootup. Some of these settings include, a pre-determined gov., polling intervals, up/down thresholds and min/max cpu frequencies. This is a file rom devs use/modify to control the rom's cpu BEFORE the use of any custom kernels. They modify it for the kernel that COMES WITH THE ROM. All of this is completely unnecessary if you're going to use an app such as System Tuner to control your cpu. Without deleting this file AND using System Tuner/SetCpu in conjunction with it, bad things can happen in the background. Your phone will constantly be playing "ping pong" with itself because of too many apps/scripts telling it to do different things. This is especially bad if your using System Tuner to "remember" your customized cpu settings, by applying init.d scripts at boot. All of this going back and forth in the background WILL cause your phone to bog down and possibly reboot itself. Another side-effect is bad battery life because of the phone being in a constant "state of confusion". The bottom line.....if you're going to use a custom kernel and a third party app to take control of it, DELETE OR MOVE the init.post_boot.sh file! I have been running this kernel (1.2) on Vin's RCMix 12/16 rom for the past couple of days, and not one reboot or any other weird $hit going on! I have deleted the above mentioned file and am using System Tuner Pro for all of my settings. I use the interactiveX gov. with 384min./1.19max. cpu settings.....all of them reapplied at boot thru the use of init.d scripts. These scripts are automatically created by System Tuner in the boot settings from the app. I've tried all the governers included with the kernel and interactiveX gives me the best responsiveness/speed/battery life with Vin's rom. If anyone is curious, I'm getting 42mflops in 1.9 secs. on average, running the Linepak benchmark app:eek: My hat goes off to you detcup4evr, you have done an outstanding job picking up where Lithid left off! Congrats on you're endeavors into the world of custom kernels......good to see eager/talented people like you jumping in head first:D KICK-ASS job my friend.....gonna keep my eye on you:eek:

>>FYI.....I'm using the 1.2 universal, no uv'ing

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

I'm running 1.2 stock. I understand it's using SIO by default but what are the default clock speeds? Should I be using something like setcpu? Currently running mikg 3.0 with no swap partition, reading the thread it appears that is ok as swap is disabled by default? Thanks.

Best not to use swap. It's old school Linux. To many read/writes to your sd card will shorten it's life, as will apps to sd! All of this will also cause sd corruption more readily, which will in turn, cause instability issues with your phone. I have never used apps to sd or any swap partion because of this. Your phone's nand chip can handle constant reading and writing without wearing out as quickly because of wear leveling being implemented by HTC......this is age old information, Google it!
    I am loving the kernel, but am hating the max brightness tweak. A version without that it an easy way to disable it would be fantastic.

Thank you for all the work. It has breathed new life into my EVO.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA

You ask and you shall recieve
    I ente really understand what swap is either, im running this kernel and my sd is already patlrtitioned. What are fue benilefits if swap and how do i take advantage id that feature?

Swap space in Linux is used when the amount of physical memory (RAM) is full. If the system needs more memory resources and the RAM is full, inactive pages in memory are moved to the swap space. While swap space can help machines with a small amount of RAM, it should not be considered a replacement for more RAM. Swap space is located on hard drives, which have a slower access time than physical memory. Source

The benefits is it helps the system keep more apps in memory. On some of the more Ram hungry roms your should see a boost.

To take advantage of SWAP you will need a Special Swap Partition on your SD Card or it looked like swapper2 was able to utilize a SWAP file instead of a SWAP partition.

You will need an App (Apps2SDGui or Swapper2, there are probably others in the market) to activate/configure SWAP.

With Apps2SDGui when you open the App you will see a button that says SWAP is off, Click the button and then it will activate SWAP, and your see a setting called swappiness, This determines how much the phone will use SWAP, Higher setting means the higher the SWAP rate. Since SD memory is slower then Phone memory if swappiness is too high it could cause lagging as memory is moved from SWAP to RAM. 60 seems to be working fine for me.

Swapper2 has very similar process to enable Swap. I stumbled across this guide using swapper http://homar.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-231.html

Hope that makes sense