Fixing Roboto, Somewhat

Search This thread

noll5326

Mar 18, 2009
I saw a post earlier on G+ about the G2 and Roboto. Basically you can only use normal and bold; italic, bold italic, Roboto Light, Roboto Thin, and Roboto Condensed don't work. The weight also appears to be off.

I did some looking around and all the fonts are present on the system. I made a quick test app to compare the fonts on the G2 and Galaxy Nexus and set to figure out how to fix it.

It's pretty simple, just copy the system_fonts.xml file in the zip to \system\etc. You'll probably want to backup and/or rename the existing file first and give it the same file permissions. You'll need root and a file explorer that can mount system. Reboot and you should be able to see the changes.

I copied the file over to internal storage and used Total Commander to copy the xml file after renaming the original file.

The weight is still wrong but at least if the developer wanted to use Roboto and italics, you'll now be able to see italics.

Attachments

• system_fonts.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 806

canecbr600

Oct 27, 2008
If rooted, u can use jrummys font app, and install any font the app has, it replaces the roboto font in stock font settings....

Sent from my LG-D800 using XDA Premium HD app

Reactions: bd1212 and Jawbox

sefnap

Sep 22, 2013
If you want to fix the weight issues, you can download Roboto directly from Google. Just click "Download Roboto" and extract the zip, then copy to your phone. In adb you can do this:

Assuming you put the roboto files at /sdcard/roboto
Code:
su
mount -o remount,rw /system
cp /sdcard/roboto/*.ttf /system/fonts

This will overwrite the ones from the stock rom, so if you're concerned about that, you can make a backup first:
Code:
mkdir /sdcard/roboto-stock
cp /system/fonts/Roboto* /sdcard/roboto-stock

After that and using your modded system_fonts.xml, I have nice proper typography in the Play Store and other Holo apps.

Thanks!

WheresTrent

Jul 17, 2012
Thanks for posting this, this was (oddly?) one of my bigger concerns in researching this phone. Will give it a try when I get it.

slider112

I saw a post earlier on G+ about the G2 and Roboto. Basically you can only use normal and bold; italic, bold italic, Roboto Light, Roboto Thin, and Roboto Condensed don't work. The weight also appears to be off.

I did some looking around and all the fonts are present on the system. I made a quick test app to compare the fonts on the G2 and Galaxy Nexus and set to figure out how to fix it.

It's pretty simple, just copy the system_fonts.xml file in the zip to \system\etc. You'll probably want to backup and/or rename the existing file first and give it the same file permissions. You'll need root and a file explorer that can mount system. Reboot and you should be able to see the changes.

I copied the file over to internal storage and used Total Commander to copy the xml file after renaming the original file.

The weight is still wrong but at least if the developer wanted to use Roboto and italics, you'll now be able to see italics.

If you want to fix the weight issues, you can download Roboto directly from Google. Just click "Download Roboto" and extract the zip, then copy to your phone. In adb you can do this:

Code:
su

This will overwrite the ones from the stock rom, so if you're concerned about that, you can make a backup first:
Code:

After that and using your modded system_fonts.xml, I have nice proper typography in the Play Store and other Holo apps.

Thanks!

Thanks for this guys, much appreciated. I combined both of these procedures and now have all stock android roboto system fonts that render perfectly everywhere, most notably in the play store. FYI: I ended up just using root explorer to move both the xml file as well as all of the stock font files to the proper directories, changed permissions and rebooted. Good as gold :good:

Last edited:
Reactions: robogo1982

robogo1982

Um... is pasting a couple of files really that big of a problem?

I reckon it can be made, yes... I might just give it a go.

EDIT: okay, here it is.

NOTE: I have not tested this and I don't know whether it works properly! I am not responsible if you mess up your system or your phone. Do a nandroid backup first!

Download from attachment or this link.

Attachments

• roboto_fix.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 166
Last edited:

revolt1

Nov 1, 2009
Um... is pasting a couple of files really that big of a problem?

I reckon it can be made, yes... I might just give it a go.

EDIT: okay, here it is.

NOTE: I have not tested this and I don't know whether it works properly! I am not responsible if you mess up your system or your phone. Do a nandroid backup first!

Download from attachment or this link.

didn't work for me really want this to work

Sevael

May 11, 2013
Canada
I've tried it manually and it just screws up certain screens. On the password entry when making a purchase in Play Store, you only see a corner of a huge letter where it tells you to enter your password and you can't see what you're typing at all. The Tasker app is really affected, with the preferences window being a complete disaster; the fonts are massive and spread out like crazy even though my phone is set to the smallest font size. There are several other places here and there where it really messes up too.

When it works, it looks great. But for the odd screen that it screws up, it's just not worth it. I'm glad I backed up the stock files first.

Yes, I put the xml file in /system/etc/ and downloaded the fonts from Google and put them in /system/fonts/. I changed all the file permissions. I rebooted and could see the font changes, but in some places the font was just way too large and the spacing between lines was huge. Perhaps the modified xml file still needs more tweaking.

mannequin

Feb 7, 2011
New York
I've tried it manually and it just screws up certain screens. On the password entry when making a purchase in Play Store, you only see a corner of a huge letter where it tells you to enter your password and you can't see what you're typing at all...

can confirm all that was said above. there are small graphical glitches here and there too, like in gmail upon selection half of the bar up top gets colored blue, etc.

edit: just restored the backup and noticed gmail still does it, perhaps it's not font related and i just haven't noticed that before but it's definitely shouldn't be there.

http://i.imgur.com/mE7EnLW.png

apparently other phones (like HTC One) suffer from this bug too. does anybody know what causes this?

Last edited:

mannequin

Feb 7, 2011
New York
after playing around with different fonts i think i found a combination that works perfectly on our phones:

- download "stock Roboto fonts from the 4.3 base ROM" from here. strangely enough, i think those are stock HTC One fonts.

(original thread it was pulled from where you can find tons of fonts, mind you most of them wouldn't work correctly:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=45437057

the easiest way to check if the font is "working" properly is going to the Call logs screen and check the date stamp as it appears broken with some. thanks alex72 for the thread tip!)

- use "system_fonts.xml" from this thread

and done. light, condensed, bold, italic, everything seems to be working and without the issues in the usual places.

Reactions: Ramdanih

avidmovies

Nov 29, 2011
Fixing font without rooting

The above method worked perfectly. I did not want to actually root my phone and trip any root checkers, so I accomplished everything via a temporary root adb shell (IOroot ftw!).

The following was done on a stock AT&T D800 with OTA (D80010o).
Make sure to switch to another font in Display settings before attempting this.

1. Get root adb access. IOroot should be able to help you out with that. Make sure to end the batch script at the point it warns you, so as not to push SU and trip anything.
  2. Make backups.
    Code:
    adb pull /system/etc/system_fonts.xml
    adb pull /system/fonts
    Move these someplace safe, just in case.
  3. Unzip RobotoFont_G2.zip to directory with adb (repackaged using xml from first post, and Roboto font from HTC One 4.3 base ROM - mannequin's post)
  4. Push new files
    Code:
    adb shell mount -o remount,rw /system
    adb push system_fonts.xml /system/etc/system_fonts.xml
    adb push ./fonts /system/fonts
  5. Fix permissions and reboot
    Code:
    adb shell
    cd /system/etc
    chmod 644 system_fonts.xml
    cd ..
    cd fonts
    chmod 644 *
    exit
    adb reboot

Attachments

• RobotoFont_G2.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 52

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code:
    su

Code:

Thanks!
    If rooted, u can use jrummys font app, and install any font the app has, it replaces the roboto font in stock font settings....

Sent from my LG-D800 using XDA Premium HD app
    I don't know. Could be both. Will fix it and upload it during the day today.

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

Try this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0b08vcipbuge9at/fonts_10e.zip

This has all the fonts packed, not just Roboto. Again, I haven't tried this out so I don't know will it work properly. Please do a backup before installing in case something goes wrong since I am not responsible for eventual problems. If it doesn't work, try unpacking the files and copying them manually.

Code:
    su

Code:

Thanks!

Thanks for this guys, much appreciated. I combined both of these procedures and now have all stock android roboto system fonts that render perfectly everywhere, most notably in the play store. FYI: I ended up just using root explorer to move both the xml file as well as all of the stock font files to the proper directories, changed permissions and rebooted. Good as gold :good: