[TUT] Performance improving of HD (.NET, DirectDraw Drivers, CorePlayer ...)

Search This thread

geistteufel

Mar 28, 2008
blog.celogeek.com
Hi,

As some user complain about speed of this marvellous object, HTC Blackstone (HD), I want to give some advice and method to speed up the tools.

So, first, when I had opened my phone, start using it, it crash 4 times just during the simple first usage (cross around TouchFlo 3D) ... I was afraid that this phone doesn't work pretty well comparing to the price, but

the system is nearly the same that the Diamond, with more memory (200 mb against 128 mb for diamond !), it change everything !

I have start to go on the forum and find a perle for tweaking, add to my tweak, it's great !

So, first of all, we need to install ".NET Compact 3.5", because by default on official first rom (I have the 1.14), it come with ".NET Compact 2.0" which is know to be slower than the "3.5" version.

So, go there : Microsoft .NET Compact 3.5

Install it on your phone (Internal of course, not Storage card)

After, install TCMD or any registry tools to change registry value
TCMD Web Site

Open it, go to "\\Registry\HKLM\Software\Microsoft\.NETCompactFramework"
You have 2 entry :
and

So edit the 2.0, change value from "1" to "0"
and edit the 3.5, change value from "0" to "1"

Ok, now .NETCompact 3.5 is the default one.

After that, and before reboot, go on this thread
and take this cab : tnyynt SD TuneUP.cab

Install it, it will tune up your memory access to the storage card and global speed.

After that, install AdvancedConfig 3.3 from here
Open it (now it work with .NET 3.5 :)),
Go to performance :
Change that value :

System Cache : Activated
System Cache Size : 0 (Auto)
Filter system file size : 16384
Glyph cache : 128 ko

Save and reboot

Now you system is full optimized, and work really well (crash doesn't occur any more or really really rarely, and speed is really apreciable).

This tweak work on diamond, but with too few memory, it's hard to use well the phone after, with all this memory and this nice HD, it's marvellous !

Hop this tweak will be sticked :) thanks everybody for this great forum,

hop HD will be explore like diamond in not too long time

Enjoy :)

Here 2 tricks to enjoy more :

First : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=461228 (Dutty rom, great idea to use it :) )
Second : http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=3059269&postcount=3 (post 3 of dutty rom !), a great improvement for 3D capability of your HTC, a real Direct 3D Drivers. Just try, and report your feeling

Here a trick for CorePlayer :
They is an option in coreplayer for extra speed. They help a lot when you have a big video who lag a little.
So
Menu > Tools > Preferences > Select Page > Buffering > Microdrive mode
Check it

They will grow up cache size and other think, so report back your experience on it.

Last edited:

gien29

May 18, 2007
I've done those tweaks, waiting for the last reboot... will give feedback !
Thanx a lot

dsm52

May 14, 2007
Manchester
Many thanks for this!

Wasn't aware of the .NET CF tweak.. which apps are likely to gain from this?

Does this also result in a memory saving - as running apps all use the latest version and the old one isn't loaded into memory?

geistteufel

Mar 28, 2008
blog.celogeek.com
Many thanks for this!

Wasn't aware of the .NET CF tweak.. which apps are likely to gain from this?

Does this also result in a memory saving - as running apps all use the latest version and the old one isn't loaded into memory?

All apps on windows mobile use .NET, (I'm not sure but I think that), AdvancedConfig use that ...

So .NET 3.5 improve speed, memory usage and more. It's really good to use it, less crash, more speed, less memory, so any think is good for that :)

By the way, on diamond any cooked rom use it as a default one, and have deinstall the 2.0 version.

We can't do that there, we can just set 3.5 as the default.

Koffein Schluck

Nov 26, 2008
Moscow
In my opinion the HTC Standard Software ist not working with .NetFramework, so HTC is not interested in trying out something "new"... Maybe they will activate Framework 3.5 in a new Firmware Update.

Could this be the reason? Am I correct in saying, that not all the Software uses NetFramework? So the Speedboost will work only with some special Software.

geistteufel

Mar 28, 2008
blog.celogeek.com
A question: Why don't HTC use the version 3.5 on this "new" phone rather than version 2 (that sounds quite old) ?

Because they don't use it at all in their package ! so why installing a more rescent version when you use a old one ?

did you see htc optimize setting for best experience ? it's the same think

it's better and faster to do it yourself

Koffein Schluck

Nov 26, 2008
Moscow
Have done some Benchmark.

VSBenchmark07 told me (nearly) the same old score. So no boost for this application.

VSBenchmark tests: Write/Read speed, Memory Acess, Graphic Performance, Sound Performance, Game Performance (?)

Laurentius26

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 22, 2005
Weird.. my HD performs much better with NETCF3.5 installed.
Can you post the benchmarks please?

Have done some Benchmark.

VSBenchmark07 told me (nearly) the same old score. So no boost for this application.

VSBenchmark tests: Write/Read speed, Memory Acess, Graphic Performance, Sound Performance, Game Performance (?)

Koffein Schluck

Nov 26, 2008
Moscow
After some Soft Resets my device performs also faster, my ultimate Benchmark score is 2642, whats yours :) ?

Before the Update my Device had a score of ~2300

Edit: You must run VGAFix to crop the display resolution, the Benchmark is not designed for WVGA displays....

Last edited:

shakie_uk

Dec 18, 2008
Guildford
i know this sounds daft....but how do you install 3.5 on your phone.....i downloaded it from microsoft and copied it to the phone.... but it wont let me install it.... I know im doing something completely stupid but what???

Koffein Schluck

Nov 26, 2008
Moscow
i know this sounds daft....but how do you install 3.5 on your phone.....i downloaded it from microsoft and copied it to the phone.... but it wont let me install it.... I know im doing something completely stupid but what???
It is a MSI file, so connect your phone to the PC, run ActiveSync and then run the MSI file on your Desktop Computer! Dont run it on the PDA ><

^Rook

Dec 13, 2008
near Utrecht
Hi,

Interesting thread, I'd like to have a go at this :) Hope I can get some help though...:confused:

I obviously want to start at the beginning; installing .NET FrameWork 3.5. My first question is in regards to installing this .NET 3.5 without using ActiveSync, Microsoft tells people this is possible:

"If you are not using ActiveSync, run the CAB files on the device that correspond to the device–specific CAB files found in the install folder."

Upon installing .NET FrameWork 3.5 on my laptop, I can find the following .CAB files in the install folder:

NETCFv35.Messages.EN.cab
NETCFv35.Messages.EN.wm.cab
NETCFv35.ppc.armv4.cab
NETCFv35.wce.armv4.cab
NETCFv35.wce.mipsii.cab
NETCFv35.wce.mipsiv.cab
NETCFv35.wce.sh4.cab
NETCFv35.wce.x86.cab
NETCFv35.wm.armv4i.cab
(and some other ones for different languages)

Can anyone tell me which of these .CAB's I need for installing .NET FrameWork 3.5 on my Touch HD WWE :confused: I'd be much abliged for any assistance on this matter...:cool:

Regards,

Rolf (35, m, The Netherlands)