Gprs and Gps Questions

Search This thread

Blitzcell

Jan 28, 2008
Hi I’m pretty new to this. If I may can I ask a few questions? I search the internet first but I haven’t found the answer. First I flash to Dutty ROM 4 and work great but it’s always trying to connect to Gprs network but it doesn’t? I just load up Garmin XT it only works if I have the phone in airplane mode? If not in airplane mode the phone lockup? Also when trying to use Gps tries to connect to Gprs? Thank you for looking

futbolkeeper

Hi I’m pretty new to this. If I may can I ask a few questions? I search the internet first but I haven’t found the answer. First I flash to Dutty ROM 4 and work great but it’s always trying to connect to Gprs network but it doesn’t? I just load up Garmin XT it only works if I have the phone in airplane mode? If not in airplane mode the phone lockup? Also when trying to use Gps tries to connect to Gprs? Thank you for looking

Have you tried looking in the forum where you got the rom from? I bet they can help you more there? Just a suggestion.

AndyNJ

Oct 8, 2007
hey guys, i'm still having problems with Garmin on my Kaiser with Dutty's WM6.1 ROM. i had no problems before installing his ROM, but now the program just quits after the splash screen. I've tried reinstalling multiple times and tried turning off aGPS.

any other ideas?

AllTheWay

Retired Senior Moderator
Apr 3, 2007
Folsom, California
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
hey guys, i'm still having problems with Garmin on my Kaiser with Dutty's WM6.1 ROM. i had no problems before installing his ROM, but now the program just quits after the splash screen. I've tried reinstalling multiple times and tried turning off aGPS.

any other ideas?

Try disabling HTC Home in your today screen then soft reset...see if that works.

AndyNJ

Oct 8, 2007
alright. i'll try that tomorrow and see what happens and then report back for anyone else who may be having this problem.

Macgyvec3

Oct 7, 2005
Corcoran, MN
Also. Don't forget to hard reset after a flash. I've seen the constant attempts to connect to gprs and Media Net before. Hard reset. Always hard reset after a fresh flash. Read dutty's wiki which is on the second post of the link attached. This is a very good rom. I suggest you try it.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=383638

Last edited:

AndyNJ

Oct 8, 2007
Well, it starts up, but now it won't see my internal GPS receiver. it only looks for an external bluetooth one.

Macgyvec3

Oct 7, 2005
Corcoran, MN
alright, i'll try this one too.

thanks!

No problem. Let me know how it goes. When you first start using it. Run Quick GPS and hit download. It may have already downloaded. You'll see what I mean when you open Quick GPS. Then run GPS Test. The first time you run GPS Test it will take a few minutes to get a GPS lock(top right of the screen it will say FIX and 3D). Every time after than it should only take about 30 secs. Usually I run GPS TEST then I run tomtom or Garmin. GPS Test gets faster locks. Let us know how it goes.

the-uki

Jul 4, 2007
No problem. Let me know how it goes. When you first start using it. Run Quick GPS and hit download. It may have already downloaded. You'll see what I mean when you open Quick GPS. Then run GPS Test. The first time you run GPS Test it will take a few minutes to get a GPS lock(top right of the screen it will say FIX and 3D). Every time after than it should only take about 30 secs. Usually I run GPS TEST then I run tomtom or Garmin. GPS Test gets faster locks. Let us know how it goes.

This is not normal behavior with Quick GPS, fix hould be near-instant, less than 10 seconds. Even the first time. Dutty's ROM takes 4 minutes to fix the first time, no matter what Radio. The following day same thing. Original ROM is 10 seconds fix. Tell me what's wrong where?

Macgyvec3

Oct 7, 2005
Corcoran, MN
This is not normal behavior with Quick GPS, fix hould be near-instant, less than 10 seconds. Even the first time. Dutty's ROM takes 4 minutes to fix the first time, no matter what Radio. The following day same thing. Original ROM is 10 seconds fix. Tell me what's wrong where?

Quick GPS doesn't make any locks. Quick GPS only downloads data that knows where the satellites should be and only helps other programs find a lock faster. Maybe you were talking about GPS test.

You're right that locks take longer with almost any rom aside from an OEM rom. It still shouldn't take a few minutes after you get your first lock. If that's the case for you I recommend changing your radio. My radio works well after the first lock. So have many others for me. Try them out. See what you get.

the-uki

Jul 4, 2007
Quick GPS doesn't make any locks. Quick GPS only downloads data that knows where the satellites should be and only helps other programs find a lock faster. Maybe you were talking about GPS test.

You're right that locks take longer with almost any rom aside from an OEM rom. It still shouldn't take a few minutes after you get your first lock. If that's the case for you I recommend changing your radio. My radio works well after the first lock. So have many others for me. Try them out. See what you get.

I understand quickgps loads the positions up front. What the problem is though is that the first fix takes 4 minutes; of course afterwards it's quicker, but then leave it for the next day, it's 4 minutes again. The whole point of QuickGPS is to get it in 10 seconds.

So I tried with the original Radio ROM 1.27.12.17 and follow-up versions in the 27 series: low and behold: QuickGPS gives a quick-fix! But unfortunately this original Radio ROM doesn't work properly in WM6.1 - no sound issue.

Last edited:

AndyNJ

Oct 8, 2007
i installed the latest dutty rom and i'm back to the original problem (garmin quitting after the splash screen).

i installed the rom and then got everything else set up how i want/need it before installing garmin. i think maybe some other software is interfering with it? but that doesn't make sense because i don't have anything on here that i didn't have when i was running WM6.0 with Garmin working.

AndyNJ

Oct 8, 2007
i guess that would make sense since it started up on dutty's hybrid rom.

i'll check for an update, but i think i have the latest version.