Solution to the SD Card Problem?

Search This thread

c0m47053

May 20, 2010
I, like many others, have been looking for solutions to expand storage on the Nexus 7. Chainfire's StickMount works well with USB keys, so I thought I would try it with something more oldschool:
IMG_20120720_132843.jpg

Also seen running Keyboard,Mouse and USB flash drive through powered hub. Ultima is being run through Dosbox straight from the floppy.

Who needs a Transformer anyway? :p

Last edited:

barrmulio

Oct 5, 2010
ROTFL...never thought i'd see a floppy connected to a nexus...i'm surprised it didn't open a space-time vortex that's sucking us all in

h3r3tic

Mar 12, 2012
Is this on a stock rooted rom? I'm waiting for my otg cable. Lol a floppy can't even hold most apks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda app-developers app

mewantnexus7

Jul 8, 2012
Mountain View, CA
OOh I know. Next you should tape it to the inside of a giant cardboard box (with cutouts for screen and floppy), lock it to terminal emulator, and you have an "old-computer" emulator :p

nooomoto

Sep 22, 2010
Miami, FL
I thought I was going to see a picture of a zip drive...but still cool!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Trickee360

Dec 6, 2010
This is unmitigatedly awesome. Well done, sir, well done.

Sent from my R800x using xda premium

c0m47053

May 20, 2010
Is this on a stock rooted rom? I'm waiting for my otg cable. Lol a floppy can't even hold most apks

It's rooted, it's Paul from MoDaCo's MCR but any rooted rom should work.

nooomoto said:
I thought I was going to see a picture of a zip drive...but still cool!

Unfortunately, we threw out all our zip drives and disks a while back. It was mentioned as an option though.
Also, we did try a usb CD-ROM drive, but that wasn't playing ball (I would guess it does not register as a mass storage device at all)

Glad people like it. Despite the fun aspect, the whole setup (minus floppy) really is a pretty usable netbook/nettop level experience.

Would love to see a pogo pin dock so I could keep it charged, it is currently balancing on the front of a Dilbert calendar!

Last edited:

ronni.rasmussen

Dec 11, 2008
Phuket
eronni.com
I love the possibilities this setup prove possible, nice one :)

What i would love to know, would it be possible to charge the tablet at the same time. I know there is a few micro USB card readers/chargers around, but would be awesome to know if Nexus 7 allow to use both at the same time.

I read a few things about the micro usb audio out, where some people say that the Nexus 7 doesn't work as host when it comes to audio, and one of the benefits by that, is to be able to charge at the same time.

Hope someone can answer this question, cause i want the Nexus 7 to replace the screen in my car, but would love to be able to mount external UBS storage and stuff like this setup, but while charging the tablet.

Maybe someone can try to make something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p10LgZFIawo
Would love to see Nexus 7 charge while mounting external USB devices as host.

Last edited:

subvertz

Feb 9, 2012
Bergen
I have tried this on the Gnex before and couldn't get it to charge off a powered UB hub. Does the 7 charge, or are you battery limited?

VipSaran

Dec 11, 2007
No love w/o hub?

Hi,

I've tried the chainfires StickMount app on my (rooted) Nexus 7 with the OTG cable and couldn't get the device to "see" the storages StickMount mounted. Goes same for USB stick and for external (separately powered) USB hard drive.

So I wonder: is the USB hub essential for this setup?

The same OTG cable (eBay "brand") works just fine with any device I attach through it on my SGS III.

Now, hook up a 5 1/4 Floppy to that guy! :D

appleii-system2.jpg
kayproii.jpg

Back in the day we didn't have Hard Drives in our computers, you booted up the OS with one disc, and loaded and saved your programs and work with another. Kids today don't know how lucky they are, they carry around more in a TINY thumb drive than we could carry in a trunk full of Floppies :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Croak

Croak

Oct 9, 2007
Mulberry

Back in the day we didn't have Hard Drives in our computers, you booted up the OS with one disc, and loaded and saved your programs and work with another. Kids today don't know how lucky they are, they carry around more in a TINY thumb drive than we could carry in a trunk full of Floppies :D

Funny thing, I owned both of those computers "back in the day". :)

Funny thing, I owned both of those computers "back in the day". :)

I used them, but we never owned one. Our first PC at home was the TI-99/4A in 1981, which I still have hooked up and running. The Apple II was the first PC I used, around 3rd Grade in the late 70's, though I of course had played plenty of Atari by then :D

Last edited:

AndroidMilos

Aug 31, 2010
Methuen
Dang, I feel ancient. When I graduated from high school there was no such thing as desktop pc's and only pictures of those big computors that took up at least a whole friggin room to house them.:cowboy:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I, like many others, have been looking for solutions to expand storage on the Nexus 7. Chainfire's StickMount works well with USB keys, so I thought I would try it with something more oldschool:
    IMG_20120720_132843.jpg

Also seen running Keyboard,Mouse and USB flash drive through powered hub. Ultima is being run through Dosbox straight from the floppy.

Who needs a Transformer anyway? :p

appleii-system2.jpg
    kayproii.jpg

Hi,

I've tried the chainfires StickMount app on my (rooted) Nexus 7 with the OTG cable and couldn't get the device to "see" the storages StickMount mounted. Goes same for USB stick and for external (separately powered) USB hard drive.

So I wonder: is the USB hub essential for this setup?

The same OTG cable (eBay "brand") works just fine with any device I attach through it on my SGS III.

No, I was able to use a USB stick, and even the floppy drive on it's own without a powered hub.

Can you use a USB keyboard with the adapter you have?
    It's a tablet, not a desktop. What are you doing to that thing? :eek:

Having fun :)