[MOD]Bootanimation4U - Add custom bootanimation to any rom

Search This thread

smokin1337

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 30, 2010
Virginia
This will add the ability to use a custom bootanimation on any rom with any kernel and probably any samsung device.

It has been tested on the Note II but should work with any samsung device that uses samsungani to load boot animations. If it doesn't work for you please post here.

Uses the typical settings bootanimation is at /system/media/bootanimation.zip, this is for those using a stock rom or a rom the dev didn't add it in.

I included the Google Gears bootanimation too. Flash the file in recovery. The attachment is a flashable zip not bootanimation.zip.

The updater-script uses busybox to mount the partitions, so if it doesn't flash correctly install busybox from an app on the play store then try again.

Edited the attachment, now includes the bootanimation binary just in case in bootanimation4u.zip, there is also another one named Bootanimation4U.Samsungani.Only that only edits samsungani.

If /system/bin/bootanimation exists flash the Bootanimation4U.Samsungani.Only.zip

How to use:

Add bootanimation.zip to /system/media

Flash Bootanimation4U.zip in recovery

If you want sound add an ogg file named PowerOn.ogg to /system/media/audio/ui, if sound doesn't work be sure /system/bin/samsungpowersoundplay exists if its there it will play sound if not its not included in your rom download it HERE then put it where it belongs and fix the perms which should be rwxr-xr-x

Reboot...Enjoy

Here is a method to get some bootanimations thanks to ReelFiles:

Awesome!
1. Make a backup just in case.
2. Flash bootanimation4u.zip from recovery (I use TWRP).
3. Reboot and install Boot Animations Root from the Play Store.
4. Go into the app's preferences and change install location to /system/media/ and leave the default filename (bootanimation.zip) and go back to the main screen.
5. Select any bootanimation from the Server tab and hit Install. (Tablet ones at the bottom of the list look best.)
6. Select the installed bootanimation again and hit Resize. Set it to 720x1280 30FPS.
7. Tap the options key and select "Preview current" Make sure you like it and reboot.

I use the Tablet - Shatter one, it looks like the one from the Jedi Roms, but higher quality.

If you Preview a few different ones and then decide to use one you downloaded earlier, delete it first then install and resize it again, or the preview will just be a black screen and might not work at all.

I believe you can preview before installing the animation if you buy the Pro version.

Check out a video tutorial here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR4Rsdgtc0I

A couple of original and/or recently adapted animations here :

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2037324

Just in case....

This mod is CleanROM 4.0 compatible !!

If you use/like it don't forget to hit thanks and rate the thread !!

Attachments

• Gears-Bootanim.zip
    251.9 KB · Views: 20,890
  • Bootanimation4U.zip
    149.3 KB · Views: 38,542
  • Bootanimation4U.Samsungani.Only.zip
    140.2 KB · Views: 32,220
Last edited:

aristo2jzgte

Jul 29, 2012
orange county ca
So we just flash the boot4u in recovery, and what about boot animation? Sorry, im just alittle confuse! Just want to make sure i do it right! ! Thanks!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda premium

Last edited:

smokin1337

Jul 30, 2010
Virginia
So we just flash the boot4u in recovery, and what about boot animation? Sorry, im just alittle confuse! Just want to make sure i do it right! ! Thanks!

Yes flash the bootanimation4u then flash gears bootanim right after.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium

Mac11700

Aug 16, 2010
St.Louis
Works&looks great. ...very simple. ..and easy to install in TWRP.

Now. ..if we could have the same thing with the shut down animation to install this way...that would be ideal.

Thank you for this..it is sweet.

Mac

annoyingduck

Aug 15, 2012
Boston, MA Area
Ok, so this will prevent the boot loop caused by adding bootanimation.zip's manually on samsung devices? (vzw gs3 running aosp).
Does the flash of your mod stick between rom flashes, or flash each time?

smokin1337

Jul 30, 2010
Virginia
I don't thing it belongs to development, since the mod is already known and that's why i already posted something like this on General with both methods (manual and CWM)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=35079703#post35079703

IMO

I didnt rename bootanimation to samsungani i changed
it to a script to point to bootanimation. Same result diff method. Just looked at your thread, nice work.

Ok, so this will prevent the boot loop caused by adding bootanimation.zip's manually on samsung devices? (vzw gs3 running aosp).
Does the flash of your mod stick between rom flashes, or flash each time?

It should though I do not have a vzw gs3 to test it.

seeking

Jan 17, 2007
doesn't work for me on my tmo note 2

but then again I havent been able to get any custom boot screens to work at all regardless of manually adding them or using an apk to do it for me...

after flashing bootanimation4u should i see an app in my app tray upon boot up? i don't see an app by that name

I'm using busybox v1.20.2 and it's installed in system/xbin

(i used jrummy's busybox installer app)

Last edited:

smokin1337

Jul 30, 2010
Virginia
doesn't work for me on my tmo note 2

but then again I havent been able to get any custom boot screens to work at all regardless of manually adding them or using an apk to do it for me...

after flashing bootanimation4u should i see an app in my app tray upon boot up? i don't see an app by that name

I'm using busybox v1.20.2 and it's installed in system/xbin

(i used jrummy's busybox installer app)

No app, what rom are you using and what kernel ? Sounds rom/kernel related this should work with no problems. Is there a file called samsungani and bootanimation in system/bin ? And lastly what does it do when it boots ? Black ? Samsung logo ?

seeking

Jan 17, 2007
No app, what rom are you using and what kernel ? Sounds rom/kernel related this should work with no problems. Is there a file called samsungani and bootanimation in system/bin ? And lastly what does it do when it boots ? Black ? Samsung logo ?

Im on Jedi X 7.2. The Kernal is built in, but I believe it's called Sabre

samsungani and bootanimation both exist in system/bin

when it boots I get the note 2 splash screen and then just a black/blank screen till the phone boots up

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This will add the ability to use a custom bootanimation on any rom with any kernel and probably any samsung device.

It has been tested on the Note II but should work with any samsung device that uses samsungani to load boot animations. If it doesn't work for you please post here.

Uses the typical settings bootanimation is at /system/media/bootanimation.zip, this is for those using a stock rom or a rom the dev didn't add it in.

I included the Google Gears bootanimation too. Flash the file in recovery. The attachment is a flashable zip not bootanimation.zip.

The updater-script uses busybox to mount the partitions, so if it doesn't flash correctly install busybox from an app on the play store then try again.

Edited the attachment, now includes the bootanimation binary just in case in bootanimation4u.zip, there is also another one named Bootanimation4U.Samsungani.Only that only edits samsungani.

If /system/bin/bootanimation exists flash the Bootanimation4U.Samsungani.Only.zip

How to use:

Add bootanimation.zip to /system/media

Flash Bootanimation4U.zip in recovery

If you want sound add an ogg file named PowerOn.ogg to /system/media/audio/ui, if sound doesn't work be sure /system/bin/samsungpowersoundplay exists if its there it will play sound if not its not included in your rom download it HERE then put it where it belongs and fix the perms which should be rwxr-xr-x

Reboot...Enjoy

Here is a method to get some bootanimations thanks to ReelFiles:

Awesome!
    4. Go into the app's preferences and change install location to /system/media/ and leave the default filename (bootanimation.zip) and go back to the main screen.
    5. Select any bootanimation from the Server tab and hit Install. (Tablet ones at the bottom of the list look best.)
    6. Select the installed bootanimation again and hit Resize. Set it to 720x1280 30FPS.
    7. Tap the options key and select "Preview current" Make sure you like it and reboot.

I use the Tablet - Shatter one, it looks like the one from the Jedi Roms, but higher quality.

If you Preview a few different ones and then decide to use one you downloaded earlier, delete it first then install and resize it again, or the preview will just be a black screen and might not work at all.

I believe you can preview before installing the animation if you buy the Pro version.

Check out a video tutorial here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR4Rsdgtc0I

A couple of original and/or recently adapted animations here :

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2037324

Just in case....

This mod is CleanROM 4.0 compatible !!

If you use/like it don't forget to hit thanks and rate the thread !!
    hi OP,
    why didnt you just use my flashzips?
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1897969
    check post #4 especially..

ive checked out your flash file, and you made it extracting the files, which isnt that good..
    and here is why:

the files youve packed down that is extracted can work on many devices, but you can come to point where it wont..
    because of the fileversion.. the first flashzip ive made was with the same method, but then there was some base update for my android, and then it didnt work.. also, if google does some improvements to the file, then the users wont be getting those, as they will be stock with the ones youre providing.. just saying..

well, ive made 2 flash files, one for enable and one for disable.. the enable zip uses commands to copy a backup (just in case sh*t goes wrong), copy bootanimation file to samsungani.. and the disable zip copies back the backup file to samsungani.. and the only thing required for this to work is busybox..

that way you, and the users, will have the most current fileversion, and is guaranteed to work for their particular device..
    and my flash zips are reported to be working on the note2 as well, and other devices too..
    Awesome!
    7. Tap the options key and select Preview current. Make sure you like it and reboot.

If you preview a few different ones and then decide to use one you downloaded earlier, delete it first then install and resize it again, or the preview will just be a black screen and might not work at all.

Yes flash the bootanimation4u then flash gears bootanim right after.

Anyone tried this on a 4.2.2 ROM or more specifically on an S4?

use mine, link is in my description.. just use the 4.2.1 one, that works with 4.2.2 as well..
    cheers