where can i buy original/high quality USB cables?

Search This thread

Caniv

Dec 23, 2012
so I baught a few USB cables from eBay and dealextreme and they charge the phone super slow.

battery widget shows they charge at about 50, compared to my retail that charges super fast at 1000

where do i get GOOD cables?

timtlm

Mar 17, 2008
St Louis
A few years ago I bought a couple of blackberry OEM cables on Amazon, and ever since, those have been my favorite ones because they are really nice high quality cables. Recently, I was looking to buy some more, and I bought a pack of 5 for $10 from the ebay listing below. I can vouch that they are the same genuine blackberry cables I've received in the past.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5X-Genuine-...Phone_PDA_Cables_Adapters&hash=item5d40bcb6aa

Reactions: nactownplaya

NJ_RAMS_FAN

Sep 28, 2011
North Bergen, NJ
so I baught a few USB cables from eBay and dealextreme and they charge the phone super slow.

battery widget shows they charge at about 50, compared to my retail that charges super fast at 1000

I don't think its the USB that slows down the charging. It's the charger? I bought plenty of cheap USB and all charge at same speeds using the stock wall charger..

Caniv

Dec 23, 2012
first of all, thank you!

2nd lol @28usd shipping to Israel

/=
but should i be just looking for OEM cables?

timtlm

Mar 17, 2008
St Louis
first of all, thank you!

2nd lol @28usd shipping to Israel

/=
but should i be just looking for OEM cables?

Yes, I would look for genuine OEM cables from a name brand. However, with ebay or other sites that have 3rd party sellers, they will often say OEM when in fact they are knock offs. It is more common with chargers than cables. I felt comfortable with that ebay listing because it looked like an actual picture of the product and not a stock image. Also, I already owned a couple, so I knew what they looked like with the blackberry logo on the end.

Wergin2

Jan 13, 2014
USB cable

Sir the original is charge like super power.
This Cable is duplicate.
So You buy the cable on the phone shop..

AntikytheraTech

Sep 18, 2011
Denver, CO
Fosmon Vivid Series Flat Tangle Free Micro USB Cable for Smartphones and Other Micro USB Devices (6 Feet, Blue) by Fosmon Technology http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E0M55RC/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_she1sb0525RFD

Comes in a variety of colors. Looks like as of this writing, only the 6ft length is prime eligible. 3ft length has a $2.98USD shipping cost.

I use these all over, have bought many and all are still working great. I use them with a 2A anker charger. Charges my phone very quickly.

Good luck

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

addonelam

May 21, 2011
Fosmon Vivid Series Flat Tangle Free Micro USB Cable for Smartphones and Other Micro USB Devices (6 Feet, Blue) by Fosmon Technology http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E0M55RC/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_she1sb0525RFD

Comes in a variety of colors. Looks like as of this writing, only the 6ft length is prime eligible. 3ft length has a $2.98USD shipping cost.

I use these all over, have bought many and all are still working great. I use them with a 2A anker charger. Charges my phone very quickly.

Good luck

Wow, these cables look...nice.
Hopefully I can find them off Amazon.ca later... :)

AntikytheraTech

Sep 18, 2011
Denver, CO
Wow, these cables look...nice.
Hopefully I can find them off Amazon.ca later... :)

Yeah I purchased initially because I wanted a flat cable. These really are tangle free and they are tough as nails. I bunch them up, roll them up, tug/pull etc and have yet to have one fall apart or crap out functionally.

Biggest problem I have with it is my coworkers stealing it from my desk! :p

mmmmBACON

Mar 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah I purchased initially because I wanted a flat cable. These really are tangle free and they are tough as nails. I bunch them up, roll them up, tug/pull etc and have yet to have one fall apart or crap out functionally.

Biggest problem I have with it is my coworkers stealing it from my desk! :p

What's the mA charge rate when you use it with your 2A anker charger? Does it allow fast charge (Full 1050mA)?

AntikytheraTech

Sep 18, 2011
Denver, CO
What's the mA charge rate when you use it with your 2A anker charger? Does it allow fast charge (Full 1050mA)?

sorry, I do not know how to test that...?

I am using it with these chargers:
Anker® 18W/3.6A Dual-Port USB Wall Charger / Portable Travel Charge... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B8L36A6/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_SVf1sb1DQ2N3K

Anker® USB 24W / 4.8A Dual-Port Car Charger - Simultaneous, full-speed charging(White) by Anker http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B8M4IMK/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_GXf1sb07XQGKT

It definitely charges substantially faster than the OEM wall charger for my Nexus 5. That may be the charger or cable or both.

Would be happy to test the mA charge rate but I assume I would need an ammeter which I do not have.

Reactions: mmmmBACON

mmmmBACON

Mar 3, 2011
Winnipeg
sorry, I do not know how to test that...?

I am using it with these chargers:
Anker® 18W/3.6A Dual-Port USB Wall Charger / Portable Travel Charge... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B8L36A6/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_SVf1sb1DQ2N3K

Anker® USB 24W / 4.8A Dual-Port Car Charger - Simultaneous, full-speed charging(White) by Anker http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B8M4IMK/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_GXf1sb07XQGKT

It definitely charges substantially faster than the OEM wall charger for my Nexus 5. That may be the charger or cable or both.

Would be happy to test the mA charge rate but I assume I would need an ammeter which I do not have.

If you could test that would be great! I just ordered a bunch of high quality full speed micro USB cables from monoprice that I linked above, but I wouldn't mind having some more that were a little more fun and colorful. It's always nice to change things up every now and again.

You don't need a multimeter or anything.

Just get CurrentWidget off of the play store (it's free) and add a widget to your homescreen. Set the update interval to 1 second, and watch for the highest number to repeat multiple times (it will always fluctuate up and down, but the highest number will keep popping up) that's your max. It may take a few minutes to get to the top speed, but you'll know when the same number range keeps showing.

It's probably not 100% accurate, but it gives a good ballpark number. The stock LG charger/cable charges at ~1050mA. If the flat cables allow full speed charging, you should be able to match that.

AntikytheraTech

Sep 18, 2011
Denver, CO
If you could test that would be great! I just ordered a bunch of high quality full speed micro USB cables from monoprice that I linked above, but I wouldn't mind having some more that were a little more fun and colorful. It's always nice to change things up every now and again.

You don't need a multimeter or anything.

Just get CurrentWidget off of the play store (it's free) and add a widget to your homescreen. Set the update interval to 1 second, and watch for the highest number to repeat multiple times (it will always fluctuate up and down, but the highest number will keep popping up) that's your max. It may take a few minutes to get to the top speed, but you'll know when the same number range keeps showing.

It's probably not 100% accurate, but it gives a good ballpark number. The stock LG charger/cable charges at ~1050mA. If the flat cables allow full speed charging, you should be able to match that.

Installed CurrentWidget and ran the tests - very sad to see these fosmon cables that I love so much are limiting my rate of charge.

I tested the Anker wall charger with both the 3ft and 6ft fosmon cables at work and got a max value of 480mA. At home I got a max value of 518mA

I tested the Anker car charger with both cables and was floating around 350mA

When I got home I compared (using the same outlet) the Anker wall charger versus a Blackberry Charger I have (which is the fastest charger I own) and found a distinct difference. As stated before the Anker wall charger with both lengths of fosmon cable maxed at 518mA. The blackberry charger maxed at 1589mA.

FWIW, here is the blackberry charger I used (no, the cable is not detachable from the wall adapter)
Blackberry Folding Blade Charger for Playbook (Black) by BlackBerry http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004OZMWUS/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_yRj1sb0GXKWB1

Reactions: mmmmBACON

mmmmBACON

Mar 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Installed CurrentWidget and ran the tests - very sad to see these fosmon cables that I love so much are limiting my rate of charge.

I tested the Anker wall charger with both the 3ft and 6ft fosmon cables at work and got a max value of 480mA. At home I got a max value of 518mA

I tested the Anker car charger with both cables and was floating around 350mA

When I got home I compared (using the same outlet) the Anker wall charger versus a Blackberry Charger I have (which is the fastest charger I own) and found a distinct difference. As stated before the Anker wall charger with both lengths of fosmon cable maxed at 518mA. The blackberry charger maxed at 1589mA.

FWIW, here is the blackberry charger I used (no, the cable is not detachable from the wall adapter)
Blackberry Folding Blade Charger for Playbook (Black) by BlackBerry http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004OZMWUS/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_yRj1sb0GXKWB1

:( Sorry to hear about the cables, I was going to grab a few if your results were different. And sorry about making you sad bud... I guess you can see that it's not just a high amp adapter/charger that is important, but the USB cable has to support high charge rate as well.

Your Anker wall/car chargers are very good though, if you used different cables (or even the stock Nexus 5 cable), the charge rate would be faster.

I've heard of the Blackberry charger being very good, but to get it in Canada (amazon.com won't ship it here) I have to use amazon.ca and they charge $20+ for it... Which is so stupid considering Blackberry is a Canadian company located in Ontario... You'd think it'd be a bit cheaper in the motherland.

But it's not really necessary for me anyway, I'm making an attempt to have all of my chargers as Qi chargers. I have plenty of 2A adapters, I just wanted really good USB cables to make sure my Qi chargers are getting fully juiced so they can provide the full 1A output.

AntikytheraTech

Sep 18, 2011
Denver, CO
:( Sorry to hear about the cables, I was going to grab a few if your results were different. And sorry about making you sad bud... I guess you can see that it's not just a high amp adapter/charger that is important, but the USB cable has to support high charge rate as well.

Your Anker wall/car chargers are very good though, if you used different cables (or even the stock Nexus 5 cable), the charge rate would be faster.

I've heard of the Blackberry charger being very good, but to get it in Canada (amazon.com won't ship it here) I have to use amazon.ca and they charge $20+ for it... Which is so stupid considering Blackberry is a Canadian company located in Ontario... You'd think it'd be a bit cheaper in the motherland.

But it's not really necessary for me anyway, I'm making an attempt to have all of my chargers as Qi chargers. I have plenty of 2A adapters, I just wanted really good USB cables to make sure my Qi chargers are getting fully juiced so they can provide the full 1A output.

No worries - if anything I thank you for showing me how to test it. I had read a review on these fosmon cables saying they were fast current but never went so far as to test (because I thought I needed an ammeter to do it).

These cables still have their use, but I will be snagging a few of those ones linked on monoprice for my bedside, work and car chargers.

I am going to look more at fosmon too (maybe reach out with an email) and see if they offer or plan to offer a flat micro USB with more amperage.

Side note: which Qi charger are you using? Specifically using well with those cables from monoprice.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I decided to do a little video showing the speed differences in charging you can get with just changing your USB cable to something better!

I used my trusty Motorola Ecomoto cable, and the cable that came with one of my Qi chargers...

The results speak for themselves!!

http://youtu.be/wGYkt4CeYuk :laugh:

I actually ran some tests on the blackberry OEM cables and noticed a difference as well. It seems the blackberry cables are maxing out around 800mA. I still want to do more tests, though. Has anyone tested the monoprice premium cables?

I just ordered the premium cables from monoprice in both 3ft and 6ft lengths. If no one has tested them by the time mine arrive I will post back with results

So it means the resistance is the factor, not the length since the current drop is negligible between 1 meter or 2 meter wires?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Resistance of a wire is determined by a number of factors including the wire diameter (gauge), length and material. The equation is R = (p*L)/A. Doubling the length of wire doubles the resistance. The importance of resistance is in calculating the voltage drop across the wire. USB chargers output 5V, and the batteries in our phones reach full capacity around 4.2V. As a result, you cannot charge the phone battery unless 4.2V is getting to the other side of your cable (this is a bit of an oversimplification, but it's enough for this discussion).

The voltage drop across a wire is determined by Ohm's Law (in the form V = IR). If you double the length of the wire (and thus the resistance) you double the voltage drop. If you double the current, you double the voltage drop. This calculator gives you a decent idea:

http://www.calculator.net/voltage-d...tance=6&distanceunit=feet&amperes=1&x=73&y=16

Assuming the site handles the URL properly, that is for a 28 AWG wire (USB cables are 28 or 26 AWG for the power lines, typically) with 5V (USB Standard) and 1A for a 6ft length. As you can see the voltage drop takes you all the way down to 4.22V on the sink end, which is barely enough to charge the phone properly. Increasing the current to 1.5A would take you below where the phone can be charged.

Now, how does this all affect the charging of a phone? USB chargers are not pure Voltage or Current sources. They run at 5V, but have circuitry built-in to adjust the current such that sufficient voltage gets to the phone. So, the charger determines the current provided based on the voltage drop across the cable. It's not a matter of the cable being able to handle a certain current, it's the cable determining the voltage drop (via its resistance) and the charger determining the current it can provide while still maintaining that 4.2V+ voltage on the phone end.
    I pretty much buy all of my cables of any kind from Monoprice.
    just want do a quick share on something i just received:

jl1Ho0e.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2M-6ft-LONG...Phone_PDA_Cables_Adapters&hash=item461d86efa9

length is 2m and it could charge my phone at 1.1A, not much losses with such long cable.

recommended good buy! :good::D