[ROM] CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly Builds for Nook Color

Search This thread

steven676

Nov 24, 2011

The NookieDevs are pleased to announce CyanogenMod 10.2 nightly builds for the Nook Color!

These experimental builds contain the latest changes to CyanogenMod and to hardware support for the Nook Color. As the name suggests, new builds are made and posted (roughly) every day; these builds are fully automatic, with no testing done before posting. As CyanogenMod 10.2 is still under active development, regressions and general breakage are to be expected in nightly builds!

Highlights: (mostly not news if you've been keeping up with CM10/10.1 nightlies)
  • Linux kernel 3.0.8, plus hardware support from TI OmapZoom's android-omap3-3.0 branch and board support forward-ported from BN kernel releases.
  • All of the features of CyanogenMod 10.2, based on Android 4.3.
  • Full 2D and 3D graphics acceleration using the GPU, with improved performance over previous releases.

Known issues:
  • Current releases of Netflix do not work with CM10.2 -- version 1.8.1 is the last version known to work. If you want/need a newer release of Netflix, look into the Xposed mod, which provides a workaround for Netflix -- pastordl has done a nice writeup of the process here.

Download:
http://get.cm/?device=encore&type=nightly

Source code:
https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_device_bn_encore/tree/cm-10.2 (device-specific source)
https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_kernel_bn_encore (kernel)
https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android/tree/cm-10.2 (manifest for the rest of the CyanogenMod source)
Build instructions (discussion of build issues belongs in the development thread)

This release is the product of much effort by many people over a considerable period: many thanks to fattire, keyodi, eyeballer, krylon360, dalingrin, verygreen, iomonster, nemith, cicadaman, deeper-blue, thedude, mad-murdock, j4mm3r, unforgiven512, scepterr, rebellos, ryands, kmobs, tonsofquestions, hashcode, arcee, hacdan, drmarble, mateor, dhiru1602 and many more. Thanks are also due to the CyanogenMod project, upon which we are building, and Texas Instruments, which provides excellent support for its embedded platforms to the open-source hacking community. (TI's exit from the consumer electronics SOC market is a loss for all of us.)

XDA:DevDB Information
CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly Builds, a ROM for the Barnes & Noble Nook Color

Contributors
steven676, keyodi, fattire, The CyanogenMod Project, NookieDevs, many others (see post)
ROM OS Version: 4.3.x Jellybean
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x
Based On: CyanogenMod

Version Information

Created 2013-09-07
Last Updated 2013-09-07

steven676

Nov 24, 2011
Google Apps; Other CyanogenMod Builds

Google Apps
http://goo.im/gapps

As of 2013/08/27, the latest release for CM10.2 is 20130813, but please check the linked page for updates.

Please make sure that you have the correct Google Apps flashed before reporting problems involving the Google Apps (Play Store, Google Keyboard, etc.).

Other CyanogenMod builds

This is the thread for CM10.2 nightly builds. There are other official CyanogenMod builds for Nook Color available:
  • CM10.1 stable releases -- these are the releases to use if you don't want to be on the bleeding edge.
  • Archived CM10.1 nightly builds -- these builds are based on CM10.1/Android 4.2. You may find these more stable than CM10.2 nightlies and faster than CM10.1.2.
  • Archived CM10 nightly builds -- these builds are based on CM10/Android 4.1.2. You may find the last CM10 nightly (20130421) faster than CM10.1 or 10.2, particularly during playback of HD 720p video.

Please check that your questions are in the appropriate thread. (If you're interested, there's lots of past discussion in those threads, as well as the development thread.)

Last edited:

steven676

Nov 24, 2011
Frequently Asked Questions and Troubleshooting

The soft keyboard keeps crashing!
The Play Store is acting up!

Did you flash the correct Google Apps?

How do I install this to an external SD card?

See this excellent guide by leapinlar for instructions.

What happened to the "Developer options" and "Performance" screens in Settings?

They're hidden by default now in CM10.1 and later. To show them, go into "About tablet" and tap the build number (for CM10.2 nightlies, JSS15Q) seven times.

How do I get the Honeycomb/ICS tablet UI?

You want to use the Auto-Patcher to modify your ROM for the tablet UI. (Don't forget to thank Caldair for maintaining the Tablet UI mod, and mateorod and the rest of the Auto-Patcher developers for building that tool.)

The lock screen doesn't rotate!
The screen doesn't rotate to the sides I want!

Particularly if you're upgrading from an existing install, you may find that the preferences for screen rotations are incorrectly set. Go to Settings->Display->Rotation and check that "Auto-rotate screen" and (if you want the lock screen to rotate) "Rotate lock screen" are set.

For the allowed screen orientations, selecting 0, 180 and 270 degrees will cover the rotations that you probably want. If you want details:
Android likes to think of the "natural" orientation (0 degrees rotation) as landscape with the N key on the right side of the screen. (This is a change from CM10 and earlier, when we were carrying a hack to change this.) The degrees of rotation are counted in the counterclockwise direction, so in essence, each of the rotation settings allows the following:
  • 0 degrees: landscape orientation with the N key on the right side of the screen
  • 90 degrees: portrait orientation with the N key on top ("upside down")
  • 180 degrees: landscape orientation with the N key on the left side of the screen
  • 270 degrees: portrait orientation with the N key on the bottom ("right side up")
I'm having a problem with my Nook Color running CM10.2.

That's not a question :p

Okay, I'm having a problem with my Nook Color running CM10.2 -- is there something I can do to troubleshoot?

Glad you asked! Please check the following:

• Does the problem occur with a clean install of CM10.2? This means wiping /data and not restoring a Nandroid backup afterwards. Don't restore system apps and/or their data in Titanium Backup either (user apps/data are okay).
  • Are you overclocking? If so, does the problem occur when you set the maximum clock speed to 1000 MHz or below? To be clear, we are not interested at this point in bug reports of any kind that happen if you have the maximum CPU speed set above 1000 MHz. If you're experiencing system crashes or "sleep of death" (SOD), you may also wish to try capping the CPU clock speed to 800 MHz (but if this helps, please report your problem here and fill out the hardware survey).
  • Do you have any patches, custom kernels, or other tweaks applied? If you do, does the problem occur without those applied? (We're not necessarily going to ignore bug reports from patched or tweaked systems outright, but it can make our job harder, and we do need to know what changes you have applied to judge whether or not the change might be relevant to your problem.)

I'm having no luck with the suggestions above. What information should I include with my bug report?

When reporting a problem, please include the following information if at all possible:
  • Full description of the problem -- "it crashes" doesn't count. How do you trigger the problem (or does it occur by itself)? What exactly happens when the problem occurs? How often does it happen?
  • For problems with apps or specific pieces of the system software: we'll almost certainly ask for a logcat of the event, so you'll save everyone some time by including it.
  • For problems involving system freezes, crashes, or SOD: if you can connect to the tablet via adb while it's "unresponsive", please provide dmesg and logcat output from that time. If you cannot, try power-cycling it while it's still plugged into USB, and provide dmesg output from immediately after the reboot, plus the contents of /proc/last_kmsg if that file exists (let us know if it doesn't).
  • For unexpected reboots: provide the contents of /proc/last_kmsg from after the reboot.

Last edited:

sziggins

Nov 21, 2012
Awesome work!

Hi Steven,
Thanks for your great work and rest of the mentioned people:
fattire, keyodi, eyeballer, krylon360, dalingrin, verygreen, iomonster, nemith, cicadaman, deeper-blue, thedude, mad-murdock, j4mm3r, unforgiven512, scepterr, rebellos, ryands, kmobs, tonsofquestions, hashcode, arcee, hacdan, drmarble, mateor, dhiru1602 and many more,CyanogenMod project and Texas Instruments

I did a clean installation: wipe data, cache and Dalvik cache, flash the rom file *.zip and flash the gapps file *.zip. (maybe you should mention it in OP).
All working great and really smooth just some questions.
You mention the source of this kernel. This is the same as in 10.1 so to build the kernel separately for 10.2 we just need the encore_cm10.2_defconfig?
I see the changes are:
CONFIG_AUDIT=y (instead of # CONFIG_AUDIT is not set)
# CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_AUDIT is not set
CONFIG_FB_OMAP2_VSYNC_SYSFS=y
CONFIG_AUDIT_GENERIC=y

Is vsync the following?
Full 2D and 3D graphics acceleration using the GPU, with improved performance over previous releases.
Really good work :), thanks again for everything!

EDIT:
I think vsync doesn't work, I get this from my logcat:
Code:
08-27 17:28:30.781 W/SurfaceFlinger( 1282): getting VSYNC period from fb HAL: 11111111
08-27 17:28:30.781 W/SurfaceFlinger( 1282): no suitable EGLConfig found, trying without EGL_FRAMEBUFFER_TARGET_ANDROID
08-27 17:28:30.781 W/SurfaceFlinger( 1282): no suitable EGLConfig found, trying without EGL_RECORDABLE_ANDROID
08-27 17:28:30.781 W/SurfaceFlinger( 1282): no suitable EGLConfig found, trying with 16-bit color allowed

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-08-27-17-34-08.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-08-27-17-34-08.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 1,039
Last edited:
Reactions: unibroker

pastordl

Jun 4, 2011
NH
Wow

33 days from release and a 3 year old tablet is running the latest android.

Dirty flashed 10.2 and 4.3 gapps and so far everything is running great. (over 100 apps to test out).

Thank you to everyone who worked so hard to make this possible. Video is great. The Netflix persist hack persisted through the 10.2 upgrade also.

:D

Reactions: Tschumi

volpo222

Mar 14, 2013
Hi,

I have been using an SD install for all of 10.1 with no problem. I tried the 10.2 nightly and I cannot get it to boot to Android. I built the SD card the same way I did all the rest. It boots to CMW I have also installed the alternate. I load the nightly and gapps on to a freshly formatted SD card (as I did with 10.1 originally using Leapin' Lar's method). I have watched all the installs go bye. After it's all done the NC shuts down as it always has. When I restart I end up with a stock NC so it isn't booting off of the card to Android.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

V

Reactions: steven676

bowguy

May 7, 2012
Ventura
Hi,

I have been using an SD install for all of 10.1 with no problem. I tried the 10.2 nightly and I cannot get it to boot to Android. I built the SD card the same way I did all the rest. It boots to CMW I have also installed the alternate. I load the nightly and gapps on to a freshly formatted SD card (as I did with 10.1 originally using Leapin' Lar's method). I have watched all the installs go bye. After it's all done the NC shuts down as it always has. When I restart I end up with a stock NC so it isn't booting off of the card to Android.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

V

Maybe the disk image is too small? The zip is 20mb bigger. Expand the partition and try again

volpo222

Mar 14, 2013
Maybe the disk image is too small? The zip is 20mb bigger. Expand the partition and try again

I don't think so. I watched it all expand and all of the zips finish without an error message. It all fits on the boot track without a problem.

As I understand the SD card gets 4 partitions written to it. #1 is the BOOT partition. 2 & 3 are where the OS and execution space live and #4 is another FAT 32 partition for media files etc. That all works as expected. I'm left with 2GB in partition #4 (it's a 4GB card).

Thanks,

V

EAK128

Mar 18, 2011
Just flashed and it is working great. I would say a little smoother and faster than 10.1. It does look like we lost about 20MB of free RAM though, for me anyway.

steven676

Nov 24, 2011
Hi,

Any ideas?

Oh shoot, I'd forgotten that we changed the way we mount /system and /data in 4.3-based ROMs, so the SD card installer needs updating for 4.3. FAQ updated (I'll update it again once that installer's updated).

Reactions: Bill-N and bowguy

bitstra

Sep 22, 2010
Berlin
I can't believe it,

Android 4.3 on my good old Nook Color!

Thank you very much @steven676!

Clean Installed it and it runs very, very smooth from first start...

Only one issue I've found: Pie control is not really useable - Pie can only be opened from time to time - in most cases it doesn't react on any screen position.
I would love to use Expanded Desktop with pie control...

But anyway - the very best ROM I've had installed on Nook Color!!!

kind regards

bitstra

frankusb

Mar 8, 2011
Dirty flashed over 10.1 nightly last night, updated gapps. Took a long time to boot, but when it did, everything was fine.

As of this morning, I haven't noticed any fstrim messages in the logcat that I would expect. Maybe I haven't waited long enough or they are scrolling out before I see them? It was on the charger overnight so that should satisfy the conditions.

Edit: fstrim ran on /data and /cache when I checked a 2nd time.

Frank

Last edited:

steven676

Nov 24, 2011
Oh shoot, I'd forgotten that we changed the way we mount /system and /data in 4.3-based ROMs, so the SD card installer needs updating for 4.3. FAQ updated (I'll update it again once that installer's updated).

Leapinlar's now updated the SD card installer to support CM10.2 -- head over there to grab the latest revision.

Hi Steven,
All working great and really smooth just some questions.
You mention the source of this kernel. This is the same as in 10.1 so to build the kernel separately for 10.2 we just need the encore_cm10.2_defconfig?

Essentially, yes. We made a decision a while back to keep the same source branch for all releases where possible, to reduce our maintenance burden.

I see the changes are:
CONFIG_AUDIT=y (instead of # CONFIG_AUDIT is not set)
# CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_AUDIT is not set
CONFIG_FB_OMAP2_VSYNC_SYSFS=y
CONFIG_AUDIT_GENERIC=y

Is vsync the following?

Not really. CONFIG_FB_OMAP2_VSYNC_SYSFS is a default-y option introduced by a patch checked in since the last time we updated the CM10.1 defconfig, so running "make encore_cm10.1_defconfig" would produce a build configuration with that option enabled as well. The commented-out (line starting with #) option obviously has no effect -- in this case, it's a reflection of an option that's only available for selection when CONFIG_AUDIT is enabled. CONFIG_AUDIT_GENERIC is an internal configuration option that the build system automatically enables when you select CONFIG_AUDIT on ARM systems.

"Improved display performance" mostly refers to a combination of Android 4.3's further graphics optimizations and the various display performance changes which were backported to CM10.1 nightlies a couple of weeks ago.

EDIT:
I think vsync doesn't work, I get this from my logcat:
Code:
08-27 17:28:30.781 W/SurfaceFlinger( 1282): getting VSYNC period from fb HAL: 11111111
08-27 17:28:30.781 W/SurfaceFlinger( 1282): no suitable EGLConfig found, trying without EGL_FRAMEBUFFER_TARGET_ANDROID
08-27 17:28:30.781 W/SurfaceFlinger( 1282): no suitable EGLConfig found, trying without EGL_RECORDABLE_ANDROID
08-27 17:28:30.781 W/SurfaceFlinger( 1282): no suitable EGLConfig found, trying with 16-bit color allowed

That's actually normal. SurfaceFlinger is searching for a configuration that it's happy with -- it's not finding all the display features it wants in the graphics drivers, so it falls back. (You can actually see that first "no suitable EGLConfig found, trying without EGL_FRAMEBUFFER_TARGET_ANDROID" message when booting a Galaxy Nexus.)

Mr-Glass

Aug 27, 2010
On a good note for me. Chromecast works with the latest Netflix on the NC - I do not watch Movies/TV on the device itself so this was at least a pleasant surprise..

Sherip

Jan 26, 2012
Is anyone running Twonky Beam successfully with this ROM? I'm using it to beam content to a Roku box from my NC with a 10.1 emmc build. It doesn't work from a 10.2 08-22 SD build on an HD+.

Edit: In addition to Twonky Beam app on the NC, you need Twonky on your Roku (from Roku's channel store) to try it with a Roku box.

Sent from my Nook Color Running CM 10.1 from emmc

Last edited:

Mononon

May 30, 2012
So I'm playing with this and I have to say how impressed I am. It's not smooth by any means and it is quite slow. Plus it has trouble with a lot of apps because of their UI's (too fancy with the effects). That being said, it works. I have no idea how this thing manages to stay alive, but I'm amazed that it works as well as it does. It's definitely usable and just so damn impressive.

Sent from my NookColor using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The NookieDevs are pleased to announce CyanogenMod 10.2 nightly builds for the Nook Color!

These experimental builds contain the latest changes to CyanogenMod and to hardware support for the Nook Color. As the name suggests, new builds are made and posted (roughly) every day; these builds are fully automatic, with no testing done before posting. As CyanogenMod 10.2 is still under active development, regressions and general breakage are to be expected in nightly builds!

Highlights: (mostly not news if you've been keeping up with CM10/10.1 nightlies)
    • Linux kernel 3.0.8, plus hardware support from TI OmapZoom's android-omap3-3.0 branch and board support forward-ported from BN kernel releases.
    • All of the features of CyanogenMod 10.2, based on Android 4.3.
    • Full 2D and 3D graphics acceleration using the GPU, with improved performance over previous releases.

Known issues:
    • Current releases of Netflix do not work with CM10.2 -- version 1.8.1 is the last version known to work. If you want/need a newer release of Netflix, look into the Xposed mod, which provides a workaround for Netflix -- pastordl has done a nice writeup of the process here.

Download:
    http://get.cm/?device=encore&type=nightly

Source code:
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_device_bn_encore/tree/cm-10.2 (device-specific source)
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_kernel_bn_encore (kernel)
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android/tree/cm-10.2 (manifest for the rest of the CyanogenMod source)
    Build instructions (discussion of build issues belongs in the development thread)

This release is the product of much effort by many people over a considerable period: many thanks to fattire, keyodi, eyeballer, krylon360, dalingrin, verygreen, iomonster, nemith, cicadaman, deeper-blue, thedude, mad-murdock, j4mm3r, unforgiven512, scepterr, rebellos, ryands, kmobs, tonsofquestions, hashcode, arcee, hacdan, drmarble, mateor, dhiru1602 and many more. Thanks are also due to the CyanogenMod project, upon which we are building, and Texas Instruments, which provides excellent support for its embedded platforms to the open-source hacking community. (TI's exit from the consumer electronics SOC market is a loss for all of us.)

XDA:DevDB Information
    CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly Builds, a ROM for the Barnes & Noble Nook Color

Contributors
    steven676, keyodi, fattire, The CyanogenMod Project, NookieDevs, many others (see post)
    ROM OS Version: 4.3.x Jellybean
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x
    Based On: CyanogenMod

Version Information

Created 2013-09-07
    Last Updated 2013-09-07
    Another new test kernel (3.0.101)

Here's another new kernel for everyone to test out. This one, like the last one, contains a large number of changes -- feedback is appreciated, particularly if you use zRAM on your device.

Changes since the last test kernel:
    • Updated to upstream (kernel.org) stable kernel 3.0.101, bringing in a huge number of bugfixes to core kernel code. (Upstream support for the 3.0-stable series terminates with the release of 3.0.101, so we're on our own from here on out.)
    • Reverted back to a 1.1 GHz max overclock due to the reported instability at 1.2 GHz. We'll have to look into ways of offering both of the overclocking steps (and why 1.2 GHz is less reliable on the newer kernels).
    • Reverted the refresh rate change and removed the hwcomposer module from the package -- the hwcomposer/dsscomp rendering paths don't seem to be stable for us just yet. We'll want to try this again at some point in the future.
    • Backported a huge number of bug fixes and performance improvements for the zRAM code from kernel.org kernels.
    • Backported the extra_free_kbytes feature from the Android kernel/common android-3.4 branch. (This won't actually do anything unless you run CM11/Android 4.4 or set the value yourself, but I'd like to get some testing for the changes to core code the patch introduces anyway.)

My aim is to push this to the NookieDevs and CyanogenMod repositories for inclusion in future nightlies next weekend, if testing doesn't uncover anything else.

For this kernel, I'm particularly interested in your experiences if you use zRAM -- does this kernel improve stability and/or multitasking performance?

Note that if you're coming from the previous test kernel, you should either reflash your base ROM, or do the following after flashing this update:

Source: kernel, wl12xx wifi modules.
    September 7 nightly is broken, do not flash

Quick heads-up: do not flash the September 7 nightly -- it's broken and will not boot. (Proprietary blobs were omitted from the build for some reason.)
    New test kernel (and hwcomposer!)

Here's a new kernel for everyone to test out. This one contains the biggest changes we've seen in quite a while, and as such, may not be as stable as some of the previous test kernels I've posted -- please let me know how it goes.

Changes:

• Updated to upstream (kernel.org) stable kernel 3.0.88, bringing in a huge number of bug fixes to core kernel code.
    • Synchronized with Android kernel/common up to the same point as the Galaxy Nexus AOSP 4.3 kernels, bringing in bug fixes to Android-related code.
    • Raised the maximum overclock to 1.2 GHz. A patch by loSconosciuto (correctly implementing an idea I tried and abandoned a while ago) is applied to disable the use of SmartReflex at that OPP, which should hopefully reduce the stability problems some people were experiencing at 1.2 GHz.
    • Reduced the screen refresh rate to 54 Hz. This allows us to use a lower pixel clock of 43.2 MHz, which allows us to set CONFIG_OMAP2_DSS_MIN_FCK_PER_PCK=4, which allows the DSS subsystem to downscale 720p video to fit our display. Why do we need this? Because ...
    • Included the (userspace) OMAP3 hwcomposer module, allowing full hardware-accelerated overlay scaling and rendering without touching the GPU (reducing memory bandwidth used and increasing performance). Many thanks to dhiru1602 and keyodi, who have been laying the groundwork to allow us to use the hwcomposer.

Known issues:
    • The DSS scaler's output image quality seems to leave something to be desired -- this is most obvious when viewing 720p video.
    • Occasionally, the PVR drivers will decide to throw a tantrum (very visible in dmesg), causing the system to pause for seconds at a time. It's unknown why this occurs, and the only cure is a reboot.

I'm most interested in feedback on performance and on stability of the system with hwcomposer. I'd also like to hear from you if the 1.2 GHz overclock causes crashes with this kernel AND those crashes didn't appear with CM7 (or other 2.6.32-based ROM) at 1.2 GHz. For clarity: I am not interested in reports that overclocking to 1.2 GHz causes you problems UNLESS those problems didn't appear when running at 1.2 GHz with an earlier kernel.

Source code: kernel, hwcomposer, wl12xx wifi modules.
    I've landed a change to reduce memory usage in the Dalvik heap, which should hopefully reduce memory consumption systemwide. The behavior which this knob enables has been in use on other 512MB devices for a while now, reportedly with good results. This change should be part of nightlies starting September 8; please test and report your experience, particularly if you have any issues (crashes, performance regressions, or the like).