Really concerned about the One X browser

Search This thread

Rycon33

Apr 28, 2011
Xiaomi Poco F3
Anyone tried Dolphin with OneX?

Found it pretty awesome on my Desire, but not seeing much mention of it being used with this device...

Been using dolphin in my Arc and now in oneX, only thing with oneX is the menu bar is eating a chunk of screen real estate. I'll try to send email feedback to dolphin dev.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

joshnichols189

Jun 5, 2010
Chicago
I'm sorry but that is simply not true at all. The Gnexus browser is nearly perfect. Double tap zoom is very good so is pinch to zoom. I'm guessing downloading the ICS stock browser from google play might help. The one x browser is all over the place.

I wasn't talking about that, I was talking about the horrible memory management, which IS consistent across all three devices.

efrommel

Nov 25, 2008
Sooo the stock browser do not work good :((( thats the point. I dont want to know the troubleshooting i want to know how it work out of the Box.

Can someone put a video using it

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using xda premium

snowwhite007

Jan 17, 2011
Scotland
Lol it gets better an better this phone isnt even on the shelfs yet people. There will be an OTA thatl fix this by end of the week off HTC ironed every bug out it would be christmas by the time you got it

psp888

Apr 29, 2010
HTC Sense 4 seems really good and was really considering getting this phone, but why do HTC have to mess with the stock browser. If it was made better and faster then great, but it's 10x worse, from youtube videos, the browser is slow, laggy, tabs keep refreshing when switching between them and crashes.

Just too bad, HTC you almost got my money, was gonna switch from GS2, but think I'll wait for GS3 now.

Calibrae

Aug 8, 2007
Paris
HTC Sense 4 seems really good and was really considering getting this phone, but why do HTC have to mess with the stock browser. If it was made better and faster then great, but it's 10x worse, from youtube videos, the browser is slow, laggy, tabs keep refreshing when switching between them and crashes.

Just too bad, HTC you almost got my money, was gonna switch from GS2, but think I'll wait for GS3 now.

Sense 4 "seems" really good until you use it after a stock ICS. Then you tend to find it very overrated.

Adobe stopped dev'ing Flash for mobile browser, so I'd just drop the "has to have flash enabled" request - I've been a Flash dev for 15 years, and I agree with them, Flash player mobile is useless - and use Chrome mobile.

Anyway, there's ICS Browser+, on the market, which is very close to the stock ICS browser and works fine.

appelflap

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht

you mean when scrolling down? That's normal. The browser is based on the ics browser and like the ics browser it monitors scroll down events. If you do a short flick down, the address bar will appear. To turn that off, just turn on quick controls in the lab settings.

BTW I'm working on ICS Browser + , also based on the original ICS Browser code. It has some nice additional features like extended quick controls , UA settings, auto reflow after pinch to zoom etc.

It seems to work pretty good on the One X.

Open for suggestions.

Market link https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.beansoft.browserplus (free)

Reactions: hamdir

barondebxl

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
you mean when scrolling down? That's normal. The browser is based on the ics browser and like the ics browser it monitors scroll down events. If you do a short flick down, the address bar will appear. To turn that off, just turn on quick controls in the lab settings.

BTW I'm working on ICS Browser + , also based on the original ICS Browser code. It has some nice additional features like extended quick controls , UA settings, auto reflow after pinch to zoom etc.

Open for suggestions.

Market link https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.beansoft.browserplus (free)

Awesome! I was hoping that you can download the ICS browser + and I'm glad it works great. I probably won't use the HTC browser, its very disappointing though. Anyway what about this update that I keep hearing about? How do people know about the April 5th update?

nativestranger

Aug 18, 2010

Open for suggestions.

The problem is they appear randomly when scrolling. A small transparent button at the lower corner to bring up the tabs and address menu would be much better. A bigger problem is the delay between finger movement and when screen starts to scroll. As you can see from the video it sometimes responds only by the time user slid his finger all the way down the screen. Quick controls can be tricky and annoying to use. The way Dolphin browser use the menu button to exit fullscreen and show all tabs and address bar is the fastest and most intuitive IMO.

---------- Post added at 10:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

The One X thoroughly destroys the One S in benchmarks but curiously always slower in general operations like opening apps and rendering a webpage.

Rycon33

Apr 28, 2011
Xiaomi Poco F3
Guys, below is the sight of the stock Browser glitch. Top left corner. Will upload a short video later.

Browser_Glitch.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

EDIT:video uploaded

Look closely on the 1 second and 23 second mark of the video, the glitch happened there.

Doesn't happen on other browsers though, only in stock browser the glitch is happening randomly.

Anyways, there are so many other browsers to use, chrome and dolphin are good though dolphin at the moment got the menu bar at the bottom.

Last edited:

nativestranger

Aug 18, 2010
Guys, below is the sight of the stock Browser glitch. Top left corner. Will upload a short video later.

Browser_Glitch.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

EDIT:video uploaded

Look closely on the 1 second and 23 second mark of the video, the glitch happened there.

Doesn't happen on other browsers though, only in stock browser the glitch is happening randomly.

Anyways, there are so many other browsers to use, chrome and dolphin are good though dolphin at the moment got the menu bar at the bottom.

Happens on chrome too. Just tested it. Out of three device two of them have the glitch one of them is perfect with no glitch whatsoever. This is a widespread hardware issue that is not consistent between samples. Tegra 3 manufacturing problem?

ArmedandDangerous

Aug 8, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
I do have a problem with the One X browser. You zoom in, and it hangs and does a weird glitchy thing then it's ok. Zooming out does the same too, it hangs for a split second then shows you the full view.

treebill

Jan 28, 2011
Weird I dont have any of these problems :/ I only have one and that's a dead pixel at the top of the screen which it arrived with so ill be taking back to the shop might only be able to.see it 2% of the time but that's 2% of this beauty of a screen that is ruined sad times :(

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This really makes me laugh.... the phone is NOT officially released until Thursday, yet ppl are complaining about software bugs

OTA's
    Custom Roms
    Custom Kernals
    Custom Radios

Just think of the HTC One X as a nice cold pint of Guinness - "Good things come to those who wait"

Or at least wait till Thursday :rolleyes:

Open for suggestions.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Stock browser with quick controls activated in labs is smooth and user friendly. Sure, chrome is fast and smooth, but because it is basic and lacks features.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    Well, I don't really get why the ICS browser on CM9 performs so much better then. Same thing goes for Samsung's ICS browser on the SGS 2. It's the same tile based rendering method, but it is just that much faster. Must be something within the Sense framework. Don't get me wrong, I love my One X, but that's something I like to moan about ;-)

Edit: Okay, I might found the answer here. I monitored the system behaviour while loading pages with massive content. When I experience some major lags, the system starts closing apps in the background, which means it needs to free the space for the very demanding browser app. This might be the reason why CM9 outperforms the Sense ROM, because it is so bloated and just feasts on available main memory.

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

Don't forget that when you load a huge page, every element of that is in your RAM, along with any plugins necessary to display the page (flash for example) sense, let's face it, IS ram hungry so I would think that lack of available RAM is the major factor here. If only HTC had given us another 500mb eh?

That said, if only FaceCrook didn't insist on serving their buttons up in an iframe and if only devs would start loading media via html5 rather than using flash and the <object> tag which was depreciated in html4.01 and is certainly not compliant when used in xhtml or HTML5. And if only devs would stop using 3rd party hosted web fonts with crappy bandwidth and if only they'd stop writing loads of CSS hacks for IE6 which simply encourages people to continue using it and if only they'd place their analytics script at the end of the page rather than the header so when the analytics server is on a go slow, so is the page load and blah and blah and blah. Perfect world and all that.

I really do suggest trying Dolphin though, it's better in every way, the one draw back is the menu bar but no one really reads down to the very last line before scrolling so I see it as an aesthetical irritation rather than a big usability issue and they are working on it.
    The phone arena site is complete ****, it runs bad on every phone ...

Sent from my Samsung GNexus <3

Phonearena page runs perfectly smooth on my sensation xl with a single core cpu. Thats with flash enabled on the desktop site. No problems with engadget either. Not sure why the one x lags badly when pinch zooming on certain webpages. Scrolling sponse is intermittently delayed as well. The best example is the youtube desktop page. Dont tell me to use an app instead of the browser. Flash videos on the desktop page looks 10x sharper than in the youtube app. Plus many app do you need to install if you want to fully replace the browser? I buy high end phones like one x for the performance and resolution needed to display full internet experience on the go.

Some of the problems with zooming and delayed scrolling can be clearly seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQqC4bDDqgY&feature=g-all-u

Notice that the sgs3 does not suffer from these issues. But most interesting is the one s running on the the same software seems much better than the one x.